Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Edit: I ain't quotin that crazy bullshit as a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
what if you made really tiny viruses to infect this virus and kill it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

poverty goat posted:

I have to wash them more often than most at work on a normal day because I handle food, but now I'm washing them more outside of work and sanitizing constantly if I have to go out, which doesn't help. It's inescapable.

Hibiclens/generic CHG? Its supposed to bind to your skin for up to 24 hours after washing with it. It doesn't really moisturize though so you may still run into the same problem

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

poverty goat posted:

Hey guys my knuckles are already cracked and bleeding from all the extra hand washing. Anyone got a hot tip for this??

get a nice moisturiser, like one for eczema or a cocoa butter one and use it after washing your hands. makes a real difference, my hands went from getting red and scaly to ok again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The one upside of paralyzing existential dread is that it has completely wiped out my appetite. I anticipate that the bag of roasted sunflower seeds in my pantry will last well into 2036 at this rate, at which point I plan to barter what's left of it with the road warrior wasteland mutants for fuel and ammunition #planahead

Same, I have eaten some rice as a formality.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

china bot posted:

I manage a hair salon, looking forward to figuring out how to socially distance until my boss lets us close

Someone repost that Iranian vid tia

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

When you consider that it was supposed to reduce the worlds population by over 6 billion even with the best quarantine measures, and that the remaining people were supposed to be infiltrated by infected carriers to reduce that number even further, you get some idea that these people never intended to and likely aren’t capable of manufacturing a vaccine. The survival plan for the elite was extreme isolation and you can bet they had all their tp and ramen stacked to the ceiling before they started loving with poo poo and that the hoarders are literally trying to psychologically condition people to welcome an authoritarian state so the remaining billion or so people that survive would easily be fast tracked into death camps when they’re out seeking their essentials by the “helping hand” of the government.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'm the hyper elite cabal taking over the globe that is also hoarding toilet paper and ramen.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Pick posted:

i have a mandarin every day and then dinner, that really all i have an appetite for, that and the vodka

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Where are you getting 6 billion people dead? It's alarmist and irresponsible to say that poo poo.

his own rear end. CB seems to be off his meds again

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Where are you getting 6 billion people dead? It's alarmist and irresponsible to say that poo poo.

Don't forget nonsensical and deranged.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

what if you made really tiny viruses to infect this virus and kill it

They've tried this with some diseases. It's caused virophage therapy.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

wilderthanmild posted:

They've tried this with some diseases. It's caused virophage therapy.

drat thats cool

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

china bot posted:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/coronavirus/gov-whitmer-to-shut-down-dine-in-services-at-bars-and-restaurants-across-michigan

I manage a hair salon, looking forward to figuring out how to socially distance until my boss lets us close

but with a scissor on the end

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
In a deep ancient palace carved from pure ivory, decorated by solid gold skulls, and utilizing technology three centuries ahead of what is publicly available, the illuminati sit slurping their maruchan noodles down as they observe the plan so far. As they nod approvingly of the progress, they begin bickering about who will tip the pizza delivery guy and arguing about who spilled fanta on the xbox.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Goons posting wild poo poo that’s wrong and hurtful to this effort of reducing the pandemic, expect a ban and 30.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I know we're 11 days behind Italy but when did they really start blowing up?

I know it doesn't really help to know but it feels like we're on the ascent part of the rollercoaster and it might help knowing when to expect the drop.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Xguard86 posted:

I know it doesn't really help to know but it feels like we're on the ascent part of the rollercoaster and it might help knowing when to expect the drop.

rollercoaster only go up

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

If there is a time to go around malnourished, it's in the middle of an epidemic outbreak.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xguard86 posted:

Need more testing to know where ANYONE is on the rollercoaster right now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

rollercoaster only go up

Until they reach the moon then you can kind of say you are going down in relation to the moon.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I miss Kyoon's crazyposting. This stuff is garbage.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

Hey guys my knuckles are already cracked and bleeding from all the extra hand washing. Anyone got a hot tip for this??

You really don't need to sing all of Bohemian Rhapsody when washing your hands. Pick a shorter song.

In other news it looks like the government run Wine Monopoly here in Norway are closing all stores tomorrow. That's the only place you can legally get anything stronger than beer over here. You'll probably still be able to order online but there'll sure be a lot of pissed of people. Especially since pensioners and the unemployed get their monthly pay out tomorrow.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lodin posted:

You really don't need to sing all of Bohemian Rhapsody when washing your hands. Pick a shorter song.

In other news it looks like the government run Wine Monopoly here in Norway are closing all stores tomorrow. That's the only place you can legally get anything stronger than beer over here. You'll probably still be able to order online but there'll sure be a lot of pissed of people. Especially since pensioners and the unemployed get their monthly pay out tomorrow.

You recite the poem from the BoJack episode The View From Halfway Down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it is astounding to me that anyone at this point is not taking this deadly seriously

do these people think Disney World is closing for funsies or what the gently caress

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Serious question: Has anyone analyzed why countries are hit so differently? Spain was doing okay and then it went completely downhill even without delaying more than other countries. UK is not doing jack poo poo, but doing much better despite not being hit much later. Germany has a humongous amount of infections but very few people die compared to, say, France.

What's up with all that?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Burt Sexual posted:

Goons posting wild poo poo that’s wrong and hurtful to this effort of reducing the pandemic, expect a ban and 30.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

pixaal posted:

You recite the poem from the BoJack episode The View From Halfway Down.

I find that John Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged is sufficient.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
what the actual gently caress!

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/us-govt-expects-18-month-pandemic-with-widespread-supply-shortages

quote:

The US government is reportedly preparing for the coronavirus pandemic to last 18 months or longer and result in "significant shortages for government, private sector, and individual US consumers."

A 100-page US government plan was leaked to The New York Times, which today published an article summarizing the highlights.

I feel like every day half the news is "china resumes normalcy slowly" :)
followed by "us government says you're all hosed" :smith:

That's messing with me more than any quarantine you fuckersssss

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

saying there will be shortages will only lead to even more hoarding/empty shelves :thumbsup:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Disco Pope posted:

This isn't calling you out for specifically, but something I'm seeing a lot and want to establish if the fault is mine.

Where is the idea that things are shutting down until there's a vaccine coming from? My impression was that the isolating and social distancing was to help medical services flatten the peak of the outbreak so they're not overwhelmed, not hide until it goes away, which yeah, it won't.

The flattening is to keep it away from older and immune-compromised AS WELL as help medical services from being overwhelmed. For this to happen we need a vaccine at the very least otherwise if it "dies down" and we let all the kids back to school, the cycle will just start all over again.

I mean, I guess the USA might be dumb enough to just be all "welp, thats done and gone back to work!" in two weeks, but we all know this poo poo needs to be locked down as much as possible before that happens.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I full-on snort-laughed at this

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
An interesting thing that many people have said is to look at the deaths not the cases to see how this is going.

A place with lots of testing like Korea has a roughly 1% death rate. So let's assume it's around there. Then you count back two weeks to get an estimate of how many people had it back then.

That means that if the US has 125 deaths total then were likely 12,500 people who had cumulatively two weeks ago.

Italy is having 450 people die a day, which means they had possibly had 40 or 50 thousand catching it A DAY a few weeks ago. Real numbers of infected are likely much higher than what is being reported due to testing limitations.

The other way to look at it is that the tests are catching most people and the death rate is much higher than thought (but I don't know why Korea would lie about that). Or that Italy is just overwhelmed and bad at treating it. Either way outside of maybe Korea and possibly China at this point, the numbers of infected are likely way lower than actual.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 18, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I find that John Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged is sufficient.

I don't remember where I stole this from, I think some random twitter that was linked in the BoJack thread but it just fits okay?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

china bot posted:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/coronavirus/gov-whitmer-to-shut-down-dine-in-services-at-bars-and-restaurants-across-michigan

I got four words for ya: hermetically sealed glove box. Clients walk into the salon and seal themselves in the box, you approach from the window on the other side of the wall, plunge your hands into the gloves and go to town on their hair.

Option B is "You catch the coronavirus" :(

food court bailiff posted:

it is astounding to me that anyone at this point is not taking this deadly seriously

do these people think Disney World is closing for funsies or what the gently caress

Pretty much everyone I know has reacted some way on facebook: complaining about the events that were cancelled, flights cancelled, jobs interrupted or lost, laughing at idiots fighting over toilet paper, freaking out about self-isolating, etc etc.. I've been posting a few links and informative posts fairly frequently and several people have thanked me for the "daily updates" and for keeping them informed.
How the gently caress are they not keeping informed on their own? It's already directly affecting them right now.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Serious question: Has anyone analyzed why countries are hit so differently? Spain was doing okay and then it went completely downhill even without delaying more than other countries. UK is not doing jack poo poo, but doing much better despite not being hit much later. Germany has a humongous amount of infections but very few people die compared to, say, France.

What's up with all that?

There are no hospitals with shortages in material, space, or personnel in Germany yet. It's more spread out, compared to countries with tourist hot spots.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

What's up with all that?

I just read that Germany has 25k intensive care beds with "respiratory capacity" so that might be it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just waiting for news in Italy that they found some corpse in the water supply that was infected so we can all breathe a little easier.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

I just read that Germany has 25k intensive care beds with "respiratory capacity" so that might be it.

Apparently the UK only has 6k.

Ruh roh.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
My hands used to get chapped all the time from hand washing in food service, now I use Dr Bronners sugar soap to wash my hands at home, and I apply cetaphil lotion (from a jar) a couple times a day. That little green tub called "Working Hands" cured the worst of the cracking back in the day, if they still make that stuff.