Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

VW, Daimler, Audi and BMW shutting down as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Best Friends posted:

It's still a lot more than I see any non-bernie Dem leader offering. The Booker bill looks good but I don't see pelosi, Schumer or Biden standing behind it.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 18, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
how are y'all knuckleheads always so mad about the people who don't control two of the three chambers instead of mad at the people who do control two of the three chambers?

You sound like Fox news.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The histronics around "Trump and/or the Republicans are [doing anything to address the crisis] is flanking the dems from the left!" is loving absurd. I mean, right off the bat: He's the president, as well as the unquestioned leader of the Republican Party, and has far more ability to unilaterally act or get the Republicans to act than the Democrats do. He can do poo poo like that because the Democrats can't, and it's absurd to cry about the Dems "not doing anything" when its not in their power to do so.

And second, the Dems have been proposing things, numerous things, like the sick-leave bill that still hasn't been passed (last I checked) even after getting watered down into uselessness because Senate Republicans are loving ghouls. The roadblock in Congress isn't the Democrats coming up with strong enough proposals, it's figuring out what can get past fuckfaces like Lamar Alexander and Tom Cotton—and that's a problem the Dems and the White House are facing.

And finally, even if the White House manages to take some strong action and get genuine relief past the Senate Republicans (unlikely at best), this crisis has already cratered the economy and will cost the lives of thousands of Americans—and a huge part of that impact can be laid right at the feet of Trump and his party.

The election is still eight months away (oh jesus christ) people, can we loving pump the brakes on "Trump is unstoppable and anything he does will render his victory inevitable" for the time being?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird cooch posted:

You sound like Fox news.

Years of repetitive failure turns people against their best interest and they learn to love their hostage taker.

We're bad at the seven Ps. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

E: I should take my meds.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Just wanna provide the original for context in case someone isn't in on the joke

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

dubzee posted:

Just wanna provide the original for context in case someone isn't in on the joke

Bombing foreigners is never off the table.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
wow centrists getting really mad that they're once again getting effortlessly outmaneuvered by Donald J loving Trump

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The histronics around "Trump and/or the Republicans are [doing anything to address the crisis] is flanking the dems from the left!" is loving absurd. I mean, right off the bat: He's the president, as well as the unquestioned leader of the Republican Party, and has far more ability to unilaterally act or get the Republicans to act than the Democrats do. He can do poo poo like that because the Democrats can't, and it's absurd to cry about the Dems "not doing anything" when its not in their power to do so.

And second, the Dems have been proposing things, numerous things, like the sick-leave bill that still hasn't been passed (last I checked) even after getting watered down into uselessness because Senate Republicans are loving ghouls. The roadblock in Congress isn't the Democrats coming up with strong enough proposals, it's figuring out what can get past fuckfaces like Lamar Alexander and Tom Cotton—and that's a problem the Dems and the White House are facing.

And finally, even if the White House manages to take some strong action and get genuine relief past the Senate Republicans (unlikely at best), this crisis has already cratered the economy and will cost the lives of thousands of Americans—and a huge part of that impact can be laid right at the feet of Trump and his party.

The election is still eight months away (oh jesus christ) people, can we loving pump the brakes on "Trump is unstoppable and anything he does will render his victory inevitable" for the time being?

not having the presidency didn't stop the republicans repeatedly putting out votes to repeal the ACA even if they didn't pass

so it should be with the dems. the argument should be "trumps stimulus isnt enough and we need more social safety poo poo" and not "well, how can we water this down to total loving uselessness (which still won't pass)". get out there and at least look like you're fuckin tryin, Ds

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Dated, but still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgAVpPNusTs

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GREAT NEWS!!!!! NAVY RELEASE PRT WILL BE WAVED NO MORE PT NO WEIGH INS LETS GET FAAAAAATTTT!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
They are, they just don't get to do daily press conferences from the podium at the White House while the stock market crashes and everybody freaks out.

Trump is just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, even his own Senate doesn't agree with him other than that's sending people checks polls well.

Reinforcing UI is the smart move, but it's a lot more expensive than sending everybody a check for a thousand bucks and it doesn't sound as good because you can't just say "hey I'm sending you a thousand bucks"

I mean Bush did the same thing how is this outmaneuvering the Democrats this is the stupidest loving argument.

How hosed up are you that you're rooting for Trump?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

GREAT NEWS!!!!! NAVY RELEASE PRT WILL BE WAVED NO MORE PT NO WEIGH INS LETS GET FAAAAAATTTT!

All they have to do is let people smoke weed and the ranks will be so swollen we'll be ready for any salad bar wars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa posted:

not having the presidency didn't stop the republicans repeatedly putting out votes to repeal the ACA even if they didn't pass

so it should be with the dems. the argument should be "trumps stimulus isnt enough and we need more social safety poo poo" and not "well, how can we water this down to total loving uselessness (which still won't pass)". get out there and at least look like you're fuckin tryin, Ds

Ds nuts

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LingcodKilla posted:

I got a job at Accenture in the last recession, working a DoD contract. This was right after Obama was inaugurated, so perhaps because of that, part of the orientation process was telling us to not worry about our jobs: "Defense spending goes up no matter who gets elected."

I probably should have quit right then, but at least they paid me my salary for the full twelve months I was waiting for my clearance.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird cooch posted:

I mean Bush did the same thing how is this outmaneuvering the Democrats this is the stupidest loving argument.

How hosed up are you that you're rooting for Trump?

If he institutes policies I want, I'm not gonna wish he didn't. If he legalizes weed tomorrow and institutes Medicare 4 All some how I'm not gonna be mad, but it'll certainly depress D turnout in the General if he keeps up doing randomly progressive poo poo.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

If he institutes policies I want, I'm not gonna wish he didn't. If he legalizes weed tomorrow and institutes Medicare 4 All some how I'm not gonna be mad, but it'll certainly depress D turnout in the General if he keeps up doing randomly progressive poo poo.

And if that happens I will whittle off my right foot with a butter knife.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Whittle.

Assuming you mean shaving off tiny parts over time.

/\ good job.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird cooch posted:

And if that happens I will whittle off my right foot with a butter knife.

It was an exaggeration, but if he does stuff like "I'm gonna give you the biggly check for 1000$ and for the duration of this I'm gonna make sure you don't lose your house" I mean a lot of people have been bought off for far less.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

bird cooch posted:

how are y'all knuckleheads always so mad about the people who don't control two of the three chambers instead of mad at the people who do control two of the three chambers

Well, ...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

... because Democrats only legislate like this when it has no chance of passing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

give pelosi, feinstein, and schumer cabinet positions and then fire them day 1

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm more for banning political parties and seeing how poo poo shakes out.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
This is literally how it shakes out.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bird cooch posted:

how are y'all knuckleheads always so mad about the people who don't control two of the three chambers instead of mad at the people who do control two of the three chambers?

You sound like Fox news.

I’m frequently told that democrats are fighting for me and share my values. What I actually see is austerity ideology, which is not my values.

On an electoral strategic level, don't worry about me - I'll pull the lever for Joe in my safe blue state. But you should worry about all the voters who will ask "who will do more to improve my life" in November when it's between Trump and Joe.

Joe and the Dems need to actively earn votes. You do that by forcefully making a case for how you will fight for people. Trump is doing that right now with a forceful stimulus package. Schumer and Pelosi are playing catch up rather than being the big spending liberal caricatures that I wish they actually were.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

You sound like Fox news.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1240022116797382656

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1239575319989882880

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
[uncontrollable screaming]

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
T-minus how many days until we all get turmp bux?

I have lamps and seeds to buy, trumpbux would be a great way to start my weed garden.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Democrats save UI which keeps (more) cash in the hands of families, Republicans give a flat check that is less than that, but simpler for people to understand. The UI eligibility in each state being different is probably the key - red states have gutted UI and would have to make changes to see benefits, they would vastly rather have some direct check rather than having to like, retrofit their safety nets to not be horribly lovely or have to roll them back later.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

[uncontrollable screaming]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWr9H6J1NQ

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Here’s what’s going to happen if we get federal handout money:

people will put it towards debt
People will put it in savings

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I will buy weed lamps to grow weed in my closet. I will not pay debt with trump bux. That's why I get VA funbux for being looney.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm buying toilet paper

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
people will put the money towards things that they need. for a lot of people a thousand bucks is gonna pay most of their rent or their utilites or go towards buying groceries for their family

UI is good and all but offers no help to those who weren't fully laid off or have been unemployed for too long to get it

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bloops posted:

people don't have jobs because of the coronavirus but you think people are gonna be investing it lmao

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1240312163195125765

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

bloops posted:

Weed and paying off my bills, yep.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Someone in the economics disaster cspam thread posted this earlier. Only applies to gov backed mortgages like FHA.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lego, a VR headset, and the rest on beer and edibles.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Zamujasa posted:

people will put the money towards things that they need. for a lot of people a thousand bucks is gonna pay most of their rent or their utilites or go towards buying groceries for their family

UI is good and all but offers no help to those who weren't fully laid off or have been unemployed for too long to get it

I realize it'd be super-loving-complicated, but is there any mechanism that could be put in place to award large cash payouts to individuals that can demonstrate they are unemployed or underemployed with hours slashed due to this crisis?

As someone with a stable government-funded job, I'd much rather see those who's lives have been upended get $5000 rather than people like myself get $1000 (LOL COMMUNISM)

As it stands, I'll be doing my best to spend my 1000 funbux on local small businesses that are feeling the crunch the hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone in the economics disaster cspam thread posted this earlier. Only applies to gov backed mortgages like FHA.

Optics win elections, not details. And this is really good optics for Trump.