Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ori 2: Feeding Grounds sequence is probably the first time I've felt the game is unfair. How the hell should I know that the canvas is actually good enough dammit.

In other news, Grapple upgrade is great, and makes those spiders really a walk in the park.

The first BeforeIPlay tip should probably be to disable Bounty shard each time you are fighting a boss. Absolutely zero benefit for the huge penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is Steam down for anyone else? my internet is fine but Steam itself seems to have gone tits up

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is Steam down for anyone else? my internet is fine but Steam itself seems to have gone tits up

Yeah, the store is down. Maybe that means... a SALE???!!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Must be on your end. The site is being a bit unresponsive right now, but I can still access it. Downloading games works fine, the client can't get to the store page, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Armor-Piercing posted:

Also a good game on sale, puzzle game Tametsi is $1.50 (50% off) for the next few days. It's the same sort as HexCells and Patterna, and the difficulty is somewhere between the two, which is nice because Patterna is often a bit too much for me.

I've put 60 hours into it so far and just finished the main set of 100 puzzles with another set of 60 to go. I'd recommend grabbing the HexCells trilogy and SquareCells first if you haven't played those yet, but after this is a nice step up and a ton of content for the price.

The worst part of these kinds of puzzle games is when you think you have your logic right, but messed up somewhere and hit a mine. Not because you failed, but because the added information messes up the puzzle flow greatly. Very depressing. Thanks for the rec though, great game for the price.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Steam's big demo festival thing has begun: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/SteamGameFestival-Spring

Uh, someone let me know whether anything's worth checking out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m looking for a game that’s not terribly mentally demanding to play while I’m sick as hell. Any suggestions? I booted us Asscreed before and my reaction time is all kinds of jacked up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m looking for a game that’s not terribly mentally demanding to play while I’m sick as hell. Any suggestions? I booted us Asscreed before and my reaction time is all kinds of jacked up.

My sick as hell game has always been Rollercoaster Tycoon, if you're into such things. It can be demanding but it can also just be an extremely chill plop things down and watch it run game.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Earth Defense Force is like playing a musou while listening to a podcast - the whole franchise is on sale and the best one is EDF 5.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh man too many indie demos

https://twitter.com/thegamefestival/status/1240323023384657923

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Two Point Hospital is very chill to play most of the time

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Mzbundifund posted:

Simple but fun. Does what it says on the tin. Nice rhythm between going out to pillage and falling back to defend the dungeon. Very Dungeon Keeper. Atrocious jokes, turn off voice audio if too annoying.

I would pass, or maybe play for a little while and refund it through gog like I did. For me the focus on taking your creatures out to pillage meant the dungeon design was pretty irrelevant, and without that all you have left is a mediocre RTS. And yes the jokes are beyond terrible.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

srulz posted:

Ok thanks. So which one of the buyable skills is the best then? Other than Water Breathing/Hammer of course.

P/S: I don't have to equip Ancestral Recall type of skills right? The +25% damage to all boost.

Buyable skills: Spike and Hammer is pretty much all you need. Spike is so good and hammer gives you airtime and lets you cycle bash -> up -> groundslam. All the others are trash. I also recommend you upgrade the Enemies Drop 4 Spirit Lights and Bounty shard that makes enemies drop 100% more Spirit Light. You will be swimming in an ungodly amount of Spirit by the end. Don't really bother buying the Map stuff and save yourself 10k.

Triple Jump is a good orb to get early too

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 18, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

srulz posted:

Ori 2: Feeding Grounds sequence is probably the first time I've felt the game is unfair. How the hell should I know that the canvas is actually good enough dammit.

In other news, Grapple upgrade is great, and makes those spiders really a walk in the park.

The first BeforeIPlay tip should probably be to disable Bounty shard each time you are fighting a boss. Absolutely zero benefit for the huge penalty.

Yeah that was about the only time I looked something up. It's really not obvious at all and in typical metroidvania fashion I was like "well maybe I just need another ability and come back later..." and spent a lot of time figuring out no, I needed to go that route. That's probably one downside to metroidvanias of the type is it's easy to fall into mental pit of "alright im just gunna give up because I presume I need ___ ability later". They probably could have darkened that area a lot to make it obvious it's a hiding spot.

The only other thing I looked up was trying to grab the Spirit Orb just above the entrance to Mouldering Woods because I kept trying to float-flame jump up to it and wouldn't work and only to find out no, I actually needed the last upgrade. Really loving stupid to lock that behind the end-game movement ability and I think that was the only one that is.

I also have a real bad habbit of popping open the map every 10 seconds which I feel detracts from the flow of the game, but I'm paranoid about missing an area or often got confused taking a dead-end upper or lower route that I've already been before. That's just a personal failing but a minimap option would have actually made it a lot more immersive.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 18, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

Don't really bother buying the Map stuff and save yourself 10k.

Oh, this is another thing Ori players should know: complete the game-spanning Hand To Hand trade quest and you'll get all those secrets on your map for free. Sorry, Lupo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I feel like the Gonarch sequence in Black Mesa goes on a bit too long.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So its faithful to the original then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo the 3rd.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

So its faithful to the original then.
It's a lot more interesting than I (dimly) remember, but it just... keeps going

Also in some of the "run away" bits if you get hit it'll just juggle you to death or get you stuck in geometry

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo the 3rd.

Ohhh, I have that on switch, perfect for laying on the couch. Thanks for the recommendations everybody!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I've recently gotten back into the Steam loop after a couple of years of console only, but am I missing something here? This is just a big batch of demos right? Why is everyone excited by demos?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A lot of that stuff would've been shown off at the GDC, if it hadn't been cancelled due to the current flu epidemic. There are some interesting upcoming releases, like next month's Resident Evil 3 remake, which is also releasing its demo version sometime later today.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I've recently gotten back into the Steam loop after a couple of years of console only, but am I missing something here? This is just a big batch of demos right? Why is everyone excited by demos?

These demos are time-limited. Once they're gone, they're gone!

At this point you might wonder "What's the point of small developers putting effort into building a demo version of their game people can only play for 5 days" ...and you know what, you might be on to something!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd be willing to bet that the sheer "if I don't try it now, I'll never get to try it" effect of the whole thing is goint to make a lot of people play the demos of games they normally wouldn't think to touch, if they were just quietly released on Steam the usual way. That translates into sales down the line.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd be willing to bet that the sheer "if I don't try it now, I'll never get to try it" effect of the whole thing is goint to make a lot of people play the demos of games they normally wouldn't think to touch, if they were just quietly released on Steam the usual way. That translates into sales down the line.

By the time these games actually come out, people will have long forgotten the demos. It's the festival-wank that's usually confined to those in-crowd events getting dumped on Steam for once.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They want people to wishlist their game, it hugely influences how well the game does when it finally comes out. Its not festival wank or whatever, its cheap advertising.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Same thought here. Exposure is insanely important on the indie market and most people forgetting about the game by the time it is released is quite a bit better than none of them ever hearing about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Went through the festival and wishlisted anything that looked interesting to me, dunno if I'll actually buy them when they drop but hey, I can remove them later.

I should probably play some demos but nah, today is the day I boot up Resident Evil 2. I've been putting it off because it sounds super scary but damnit, no, I want to give it a go.

e: Do you need a controller for resident evil 2?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Do you need a controller for resident evil 2?
No. Mouse is actually preferable; you will want to hit specific zombie body parts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, it's perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse. Easier, even, because RE2make is all about the precision shooting. Go for the knees!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sweet, thanks!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Another game I got from a very friendly developer is roguelike shmup The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, which might be the new best place for people to get started in the bullet hell genre.

Sometimes you don’t know what you’re missing until a game comes along that really emphasizes it. It’s always little things in games, like the ways combos are calculated or inconspicuous indicators other games lack. The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is not the first roguelike shmup I’ve played, and it didn’t pioneer the elements I’m going to praise it for, but it did roll all of them into one stylish, welcoming package. It also makes the most of its roguelike elements, providing a level of variety and discovery that not many of its peers can match.

A mysterious alien girl awakens in a cave, with barely any recollection of her past life. All she has to go on is her charming robot companion, who informs her of her grim situation: she is under constant threat from monsters who seek to break her heart. Her only weapon against these assaults is her love, which she can use to dissuade the monsters if only for a short time. Getting the monsters to love her instead of hate earns her gifts as well, which strengthen her resolve for the next fight. At the end of this gauntlet she may find a way to truly safeguard her heart, but there’s surely going to be a lot of heartbreak between here and there.

There’s a lot more to this story than I’m dropping here, including entire characters and plotlines left to be discovered. It’s all told through some very sharp writing that also doubles as the game’s excellent tutorial text. Nothing is left to chance here, as you’ll get concise explanations and examples of all of the game’s systems, and spread out over a session or two so as to not burn you out with text dumps or information. This is the first sign that the game is made with exacting care, because even in Early Access the emphasis is on easing players into the systems so they can make the most of the many options available.

The gameplay itself is straightforward enough, but with some very smart attention to detail. Runs are essentially boss gauntlets, offering you choices of enemies to tackle at each step. Starting out your options will be mysteries to you aside from their difficulty level, but as you battle more and more of them you’ll unlock more about their identities. Bosses feature some very creative designs and attack patterns, and each scales in difficulty with its level so even novice players will be able to take on all comers. Your heart has a handy auto-attack which you can manually charge for bigger single blasts, a “panic attack” that clears bullets in its radius, and a clearly-defined weak point so you know exactly how much clearance you have between shots. There’s a combo system when fighting bosses that’s dependent on doing constant damage, but in one of the smartest considerations of all, the combo meter freezes when bosses move off-screen or behind you so it’s always possible to 100% combo the boss every single time.

Defeating bosses earns you passive rewards that make you stronger for future fights, as well as consumable effects that can give you important boosts. Rewards can affect every aspect of your heart and its attacks, so runs can start to feel very different once you’re pulling down split shots and special panic attacks. You also earn crystals that are used to “radiate” bosses and rewards, which means unlocking their identities so they’re no longer ??? in menus. Radiating also moves the plot forward and unlocks new modes, so it’s a very interesting meta-progression system that gives you something to do without being required to succeed in runs. Honestly you can get pretty far just playing blind the first few times, though when bosses get up over Lv. 10 you’ll be getting into serious bullet hell territory.

The art throughout is soft, colorful, and perfect for this thoughtful shmup. Bosses have very unique looks as mentioned before, and the environments have wonderfully familiar-yet-wrong motifs that seem inspired by all sorts of fantasy and even a little Evangelion. The soundtrack and effects work is just as solid and really help you focus on the hectic pace of fights. Really of all the roguelike shmups out there this is easily one of the most inviting, and only gets more fun the further in you venture. All the considerations for newer players makes it easy to get into, and the difficulty curve means you’ll work your way through the ranks at a reasonable pace. And being in such active Early Access means it’s likely to only improve further. For quick fixes of bullet-hell action and clever bosses, The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is an obvious pick.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Time-limited demos are the dumbest thing in the world, I swear. Last time they did it I managed to play like 4 or 5 even thought I planned to play more but didn't have enough time. And you know what? I liked 3 of them enough to convince me to get the full games when released.

Ugh, what is the point of this crap? There's no way I'll play even half of 40 games before they become unavailable again.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The trick is to get in the time-limited demo promotion to get eyeballs, then when it's over announce that you're leaving the demo up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Or just have the demo released alongside or near the release of the full game. I don't want to get invested in some demo then just have it go "oh the full game will come in a year"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Time-limited demos are the dumbest thing in the world, I swear. Last time they did it I managed to play like 4 or 5 even thought I planned to play more but didn't have enough time. And you know what? I liked 3 of them enough to convince me to get the full games when released.

Ugh, what is the point of this crap? There's no way I'll play even half of 40 games before they become unavailable again.

Assuming that every game listed on the page has a timed demo, the final tally appears to be 64 games.

So that's 64 games fighting for attention in this short window.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Resident Evil 2: whyyyy the gently caress is this zombie taking multiple headshots and still walking towards me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ErrEff posted:

So that's 64 games fighting for attention in this short window.
Considering that there are almost 4,000 demos available on Steam that they're competing for attention with normally, that's probably still way better odds of someone actually caring enough to try them out than they usually get.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Resident Evil 2: whyyyy the gently caress is this zombie taking multiple headshots and still walking towards me
To repeat myself: go for the knees!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Not everyone is expected to play every game, jesus. You play the stuff that interests you the most. I've got like 5 demos to check out.

You don't have to play every single demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

don't try to kill everything in front of you. you will run out of ammo