Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

So I'm EST time zone but going to change to PST when animal crossing comes out so I can play for three hours of the 19th, then play on the 20th the next day. What do I need to make sure I do in those three hours? I'm just trying to make sure I can make quicker progress towards Dodo airlines and amiibo card functionality (I believe both aren't in the game for set number of days).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
They made the path stuff better in New Leaf, I think - I hardly noticed it, at least, but I guess I didn't play obsessively either - but I remember haaaating the implementation in City Folk. I tried keeping to paths, but there was invariably a bunch of stuff I wanted/needed off the paths, so eventually my town was pretty much a desert. It looked ugly, seemed slow to regrow, so I lost my interest in City Folk pretty soon after.

Glad it's out of New Horizons completely, tho.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My girlfriend and I have separate Switches and separate accounts, but I bought Animal Crossing for her on her Switch with my credit card, and now, on my Switch and my account, Nintendo says I've already purchased Animal Crossing, but it's not in my account's transaction history and I don't have any way to preload it, nor can I buy it again.

Nintendo's backend account stuff seems pretty bad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The only experience I have with Animal Crossing is reading the Terrible Secret many many years ago; never played one. I'm a ticking-checkboxes, progression-oriented type of person. Not necessarily an achievements chaser, but certainly someone who likes having a clear idea of what to take on next. Usually a themeparks-over-sandboxes type, if that makes more sense.

Any thoughts on if I might like this or not, or anything else to help me make up my mind?

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

Infinitum posted:

As a reminder you need to say 'please' when requesting a gangtags, or dark and terrible things will happen to you.

I would like a gangtag as well, please!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

The only experience I have with Animal Crossing is reading the Terrible Secret many many years ago; never played one. I'm a ticking-checkboxes, progression-oriented type of person. Not necessarily an achievements chaser, but certainly someone who likes having a clear idea of what to take on next. Usually a themeparks-over-sandboxes type, if that makes more sense.

Any thoughts on if I might like this or not, or anything else to help me make up my mind?

There's daily objectives now, and there are quite a few checklist-y things to do in catching all the bugs/fish, filling out the item list, upgrading all your buildings, etc. That said it's a VERY slow burn game so if you can't enjoy yourself outside of the tiny bit of hard 'progress' you can make each day, I wouldn't recommend it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Fritzler posted:

So I'm EST time zone but going to change to PST when animal crossing comes out so I can play for three hours of the 19th, then play on the 20th the next day. What do I need to make sure I do in those three hours? I'm just trying to make sure I can make quicker progress towards Dodo airlines and amiibo card functionality (I believe both aren't in the game for set number of days).

I’m fairly certain it won’t really matter if it’s like past games. By time it’s 9PM all the stuff that closes will have been closed and you just do the basic setup and establishment portion which isn’t really bound by time. In the morning, that’s when you get to sink your teeth in and do whatever stuff there may be.

But who knows if it’s different - I can only assume the datamine and hackers who played it early will fully know.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I’m fairly certain it won’t really matter if it’s like past games. By time it’s 9PM all the stuff that closes will have been closed and you just do the basic setup and establishment portion which isn’t really bound by time. In the morning, that’s when you get to sink your teeth in and do whatever stuff there may be.

But who knows if it’s different - I can only assume the datamine and hackers who played it early will fully know.

I read that shops don't close in this game. Or at least residential services doesn't, which is why I thought it might be different this time.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

In past games, 6 am was when the day resets. So you might not need to set yourself extra hours if you intend to play on Thursday night.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Didn't New Leaf have a mayor option that makes villagers more active later in the day and shops close later as well? It would be nice if they kept that for New Horizon

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Dazerbeams posted:

In past games, 6 am was when the day resets. So you might not need to set yourself extra hours if you intend to play on Thursday night.

I think it was 5 am when it ticked over this morning.

Fritzler posted:

I'm just trying to make sure I can make quicker progress towards Dodo airlines and amiibo card functionality (I believe both aren't in the game for set number of days).

Dodo airlines opens up on the 2nd day. Not sure about Amiibo cards.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone regret playing Animal Crossing. If you have never played one, you're in for a real treat playing it for the first time, because it's kind of a magical, special game. (All of us here are super excited and most of us have already played at least one itiration!)

There is definitely clear progression in terms of working towards building a bigger house, decorating your town how you like, catching/collecting all the insects and fish etc. The one "downside" is the game takes place in real time so it's not a game you can no-life for 20h a day, especially at the start. But I would definitely recommend it.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Speaking of, soooo excited. My sis and I (social isolating in the same house) are going to have a midnight release party on one of our beds LOL.

I wonder how many people out there in the world are going to be talking to a sleepy timmy&tommy at like, midnight, to get flown to some remote-rear end island.

e: oops, doublepost

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Amazon has sent me the shipping notification for my October pre-order, but it won't be in my hands until late Saturday apparently. Ah well, all things considered (the world is on fire and San Francisco is on the stay in place order) that's not terrible. I wasn't even sure if it would be shipped beforehand. I look forward to saturday!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Clocks posted:

Speaking of, soooo excited. My sis and I (social isolating in the same house) are going to have a midnight release party on one of our beds LOL.

I wonder how many people out there in the world are going to be talking to a sleepy timmy&tommy at like, midnight, to get flown to some remote-rear end island.

e: oops, doublepost

'listen you raccoons, I don't care about 'we're literal children and need sleep', I NEED this vacation'

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

sexpig by night posted:

'listen you raccoons, I don't care about 'we're literal children and need sleep', I NEED this vacation'

I don't think they're children, but they're teenagers at this point. No I don't know anything about how aging works in the Animal Crossing universe.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be firing up the game the second the clock strikes 11pm CST so those little rascals better be ready to fly by night, away from here

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Really raccoons should be most awake in the middle of the night right?

Question: can you exchange bells for Nook miles? I want to be able to travel to the random islands all the time and iirc those tickets were 2000 miles. Not sure how many miles we can expect to earn in a day but that seems like a lot.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey why aren't there raccoons as a villager type yet? WTF I want a Racc Town!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Policenaut posted:

Hey why aren't there raccoons as a villager type yet? WTF I want a Racc Town!

There's quite a few animals represented by special NPC characters but not by regular villagers.

I'm hoping that a future update introduces more villagers that are new species not seen before.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I've seen some really cute bat and moth designs and agree that new species would be kickin' rad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My game plan from hearing all of y'all is to set my clock back a week once it unlocks so I can unlock some material early if I feel like it, but otherwise I am gonna just chill.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

You need the upgraded Resident's Services building. I've seen that ballparked as happening around a week in.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Humerus posted:

Really raccoons should be most awake in the middle of the night right?

:eng101: Nook and his family are actually Tanuki, which are related to canids, not raccoons!

But they are still nocturnal so hey v:shobon:v

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do you all think they'll still celebrate my birthday if it's the first day? I might be tempted to do the first week time travel trick so I don't miss my Birthday celebration. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citAl9hykTk

I'm almost certain that they won't. Usually, your first day in Animal Crossing is extremely limited. I'd at least try to have it on the second day, if not later.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno if this embeds here but this rules

https://soundcloud.com/imsynthion/able-sisters

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Ah thanks. So do I need to do anything to get it to trigger that first day? I know there are daily quests basically? Or just play and save on that day?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The day this comes out will be a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV5jJrv2kjY

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People basing how they're gonna play around leaks and datamines really perplexes me.

Its like you wanna read a book but first you need to have someone tell you what every chapter is like to discover the optimal experience for reading it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

People basing how they're gonna play around leaks and datamines really perplexes me.

Its like you wanna read a book but first you need to have someone tell you what every chapter is like to discover the optimal experience for reading it.
Idk, for me (light spoilers) my two sisters and I, all quarantined alone in different cities are getting this game to play together mainly. If we can’t visit each other until something small happens in the game why wouldn’t we try to speed that up?.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CarlCX posted:

My girlfriend and I have separate Switches and separate accounts, but I bought Animal Crossing for her on her Switch with my credit card, and now, on my Switch and my account, Nintendo says I've already purchased Animal Crossing, but it's not in my account's transaction history and I don't have any way to preload it, nor can I buy it again.

Nintendo's backend account stuff seems pretty bad.

Seems it's using your CC to determine that you bought the game, which is a pretty piss-poor way of checking that, unless there's no way for nintendo to tell otherwise that something is in your account already...

Which doesn't make sense, because if you sign into a new console you can just re-download your games to that sooo

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Comparing a game like Animal Crossing to a book is a bit disingenuous, but I'll bite.

With a book I already know how it works mechanically, and with just the page count I can estimate how much time I'll need to budget for it.

With a game like Animal Crossing I don't know how it will work mechanically, and since everything is gated by RL time getting rough estimates about when stuff unlocks from datamining/reviews helps me figure out how I'm going to work it in to my schedule.

Now if Animal Crossing had a story, then sure I wouldn't be nosing around for more information. However I don't consider mechanics (including unlock requirements) to be a spoiler; I only tag them as such since I know some people here would rather go in completely blind (and that's perfectly ok!).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fritzler posted:

As others have kind of said, the "day" ticks over at 5AM, so if you play at midnight on the 20th, that's as good as playing on the 19th.

How the game starts: You play a tutorial "day" whenever you first boot the game up (should take 15-20 minutes), and then you get booted into realtime. If you go to Dodo Airlines right after you're booted into realtime, they'll say they're opening tomorrow. So playing at midnight should let you visit other islands on the day of the 20th.

Also you are correct that, until you get proper shops, everything's open 24 hours a day.

Nemo2342 posted:

You need the upgraded Resident's Services building. I've seen that ballparked as happening around a week in.
What? Dodo Airlines should open on the second day.

Edit: Whoops misread you. You're just talking about Amiibo stuff, aren't you.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

As others have kind of said, the "day" ticks over at 5AM, so if you play at midnight on the 20th, that's as good as playing on the 19th.

How the game starts: You play a tutorial "day" whenever you first boot the game up (should take 15-20 minutes), and then you get booted into realtime. If you go to Dodo Airlines right after you're booted into realtime, they'll say they're opening tomorrow. So playing at midnight should let you visit other islands on the day of the 20th.

Also you are correct that, until you get proper shops, everything's open 24 hours a day.

What? Dodo Airlines should open on the second day.

Edit: Whoops misread you. You're just talking about Amiibo stuff, aren't you.
Awesome. Thanks so much for this info!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I picked up a copy early from a local shop. Am I hosed if I play online?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

IG-88 posted:

I picked up a copy early from a local shop. Am I hosed if I play online?

Pretty sure Nintendo's banned folks from online stuff for that before.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:eng101: Nook and his family are actually Tanuki, which are related to canids, not raccoons!

But they are still nocturnal so hey v:shobon:v

But.. but.. Nook = Koon backwards... I had it all figured out.. :argh:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Timespy posted:

But.. but.. Nook = Koon backwards... I had it all figured out.. :argh:

Tanooki

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Thank you! I felt like I was missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
can we have spaces in our island names? My friend just suggested 'Rona Isle' has just the right blend of 'sounds kinda exotic' and also not wrong about why I'm gonna be spending a good month or so building it to begin with...