Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Marching Powder posted:

can't stop thinking about mitakeumi and how good he looked today and every other day that he wasn't fighting a yokozuna. they really are incredible.

Last couple of days have really stood out to me for how even if Kakuryu isn't as technically amazing as Hakuho his ability to just be constantly applying pressure is really incredible. Even today's bout when Abi managed to get him off balance, it seemed like it took him way less time to recover than basically any other rikishi and just start applying loads of pressure again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One thing that is impressive about Kakuryu is that for years, his coach was fighting cancer and he didn't have anyone helping him except a couple of low ranked assistants. He did have the chance to practice at other stables as a guest, but it's still incredible that he was able to stay near the top with nobody to train with on a regular basis.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I have to admit that I wasn’t sold on Kakuryu when he made Yokozuna but since he got rank he’s definitely proven himself to be good as hell. I’m just bummed that there’s no Harumafuji around to make poo poo really interesting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So is there a point where, even if there was a case of COVID-19, they'd say gently caress it and finish out the tournament?

Like, if it was day 15 and it turned out someone was, indeed, infected, would they cancel it?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 16, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So is there a point where, even if there was a case of COVID-19, they'd say gently caress it and finish out the tournament?

Like, if it was day 15 and it turned out someone was, indeed, infected, would they cancel it?

At that point they’d probably just go with the super effective and responsible strategy of “if there’s no test, you can’t be positive”.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pseudodragon posted:

At that point they’d probably just go with the super effective and responsible strategy of “if there’s no test, you can’t be positive”.

Look they are only testing for influenza not COVID19

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

pseudodragon posted:

Chiyomaru is being tested today, I think. If he's negative then I'm betting they can delay any other tests until after day 15 (or until hakuho clinches)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Spokes posted:

Chiyomaru is being tested today, I think. If he's negative then I'm betting they can delay any other tests until after day 15 (or until hakuho clinches)

It's not just about the Makuuchi Yusho, what do you do with the Banzuke when a bunch of guys all the way down the divisions are 3-3? Since they don't all fight on the same day the way the top two divisions do, there are always guys with different numbers of bouts completed as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Konstantin posted:

One thing that is impressive about Kakuryu is that for years, his coach was fighting cancer and he didn't have anyone helping him except a couple of low ranked assistants. He did have the chance to practice at other stables as a guest, but it's still incredible that he was able to stay near the top with nobody to train with on a regular basis.

Kakuryu is famed as a technician and dedicated self-improvement type. When he was first starting out he would watch and analyze hours of tape to develop novel counters to various situations, which is why he seems to bounce back from bad positions like a rubber band (when he's healthy, obviously). He's also considered an intellectual among the rikishi, being quite well-read, with basically flawless Japanese and surprisingly good English. I really like him.

We're starting to get kachi-koshi and make-koshi in.

Day 9 standings:

code:
28	anakha
19.5	Banana Canada
26	bartolimu
26	Bentai
25	bessantj
26	Charles Gnarwin
35	Dias
28	GoatSeeGuy
28	ilmucche
27	jmzero
30	Jobbo_Fett
29	Kenning
28	Lid
21.5	LlamaTrauma
24.5	Maigius
21.5	Marching Powder
24	Martytoof
26	pseudodragon
28	QuasiQuack
20	riderchop
17	Robviously
22	Scythe
37	sivad
26	Spokes
26	whats for dinner

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The over on 32.5 is the break point? Think I might just get there

Tochinoshin today:

I love the guy, but it looked like his taped up leg shook real bad when he went off the dohyo. We talk a lot about it being made of rice paper, but drat it looks like it can't take much more.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hokutofuji's faceplant was something else. I don't know how these dudes just pop up like nothing happened.

Kotonowaka has had a great start. I thought he'd come out hungry at M18 and almost picked him for my team. Wish I had now with the basho he is having

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have been away for work since Tuesday and let me tell you it's been six damned sumoless days of hell. Good to see my picks have been as strong as Tochinoshin leg. Going to have a lot of sumo to catch up on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aoiyama, great win, looked pretty easy for him. 9-1 is a great place to be.

I can't get over how jacked ishiura looks.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Saltbae with a beautiful leg pick. I looked down at tachiai and nearly missed it!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Elissimpark posted:

Saltbae with a beautiful leg pick. I looked down at tachiai and nearly missed it!

i thought it was an ankle pick due to how absurdly low he got but it was just an extremely slick single leg. salt bae has been massively entertaining this basho - win or lose.

tochinoshin is doing pretty well for someone i was begging to retire literally days ago. if he had 2 knees he would obviously still be a terrifying force.

aoiyama still looking like a killer. they're going to need to start feeding him to the wolves soon if kotonowaka can't find a way to get it done tomorrow.

tamowashi and sandanoumi had a loving cool and violent fight too. those guys definitely looked desperate for a win. and rightly so.

and according to the matchmaking list chiyomaru is back tomorrow?! that's great. hope he picks up where he left off...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
:stare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Good win for Tochinoshin, but he's heavily favoring that knee, it tried to give on him at the end again. :smith:

Hakuho. :stare:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
imagine if there had been a crowd there when Hakuho got sent flying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59354-zS0qQ

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know it hurts my picks but really happy to see Onosho win. It was sad to see him only pick up a small sliver of envelopes after his win I'm not going to say Takakeisho is 'dishonoring' the Ozeki rank or anything stupid like that but he's not having a great basho.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 17, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

QuasiQuack posted:

imagine if there had been a crowd there when Hakuho got sent flying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59354-zS0qQ

I wonder if he would've stopped himself a little more if there was a crowd, like he saw the space and just decided to roll through it rather than try and stop himself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao hakuho upending the shimpan in slo-mo is cracking me up

It's the little things I live for now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ugh, very late with day 10 because my computer shut down and apparently I hadn't saved my spreadsheet since day 4? Luckily all the data is saved elsewhere.

Day 10 standings:

code:
33	anakha
25	Banana Canada
30	bartolimu
27.5	Bentai
27	bessantj
29.5	Charles Gnarwin
40	Dias
31	GoatSeeGuy
31.5	ilmucche
30	jmzero
33	Jobbo_Fett
34	Kenning
33	Lid
23	LlamaTrauma
31.5	Maigius
24.5	Marching Powder
27.5	Martytoof
32	pseudodragon
31	QuasiQuack
22	riderchop
21	Robviously
25.5	Scythe
41	sivad
25.5	Spokes
29.5	whats for dinner

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Goddamn, Hakuho launched Hokutofuji right the hell out of there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tochinoshin trying a bold new don't-use-the-knee strategy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Great save by Enho at the end. Anyone think Takakeisho is carrying an injury? He has looked out of sorts.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

Goddamn, Hakuho launched Hokutofuji right the hell out of there.

Between a loss the day before and the matta, the result was pretty much inevitable. Pissed off Hakuho is the only thing more dominant than regular Hakuho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hakuho has 4 more days to hit the other 3 Shimpan positions, think he can do it?

bessantj posted:

Great save by Enho at the end. Anyone think Takakeisho is carrying an injury? He has looked out of sorts.

His left pectoral is still injured, it's Kisenosato all over again except the initial injury wasn't as severe.

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 18, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man that's a brutal bruise. Poor King Tadpole :(

Asanoyama is looking like he'll make ozeki this tournament if things keep going as they are, which is exciting. Also I loved Yutakayama vs. Takarafuji today, where two of the strongest guys in the top division did a straight power lean and push bout. Yutakayama beast mode just forcing Takarafuji back and out was loving awesome. Hope he stays strong.

Day 11 standings:

code:
35.5	anakha
28.5	Banana Canada
31	bartolimu
31.5	Bentai
31	bessantj
34.5	Charles Gnarwin
44	Dias
34	GoatSeeGuy
35.5	ilmucche
35	jmzero
37	Jobbo_Fett
38	Kenning
35	Lid
25	LlamaTrauma
33	Maigius
26.5	Marching Powder
30.5	Martytoof
35	pseudodragon
34	QuasiQuack
26	riderchop
21	Robviously
28.5	Scythe
44	sivad
27.5	Spokes
33.5	whats for dinner

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Enho should be grateful he has short enough toes because that was such a close save. I was on the edge of my seat during that judges' conference.

I'm still new to sumo but does it feel like there's been a lot of henka this tournament? Even Tochinoshin pulled one out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Man that's a brutal bruise. Poor King Tadpole :(

Asanoyama is looking like he'll make ozeki this tournament if things keep going as they are, which is exciting.

He’s set up to earn it. His probable schedule is Takanosho tonight, then the Yoks and finishing with Takakeisho. 2-2 gets him to 32 over 3 which at least gets a discussion.

The Takas should be wins, but as Tokoshoryu proved last time, a hot low ranked dude with a shot at a title can be dangerous. As for Takakeisho, he’s probably going MK before then so he might not even show up day 15 so that might open up his calendar for a non-standard matchup. If Aoiyama keeps winning, Asanoyama going got Ozeki vs. Aoiyama for the title could be cool.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Enho should be grateful he has short enough toes because that was such a close save. I was on the edge of my seat during that judges' conference.

I'm still new to sumo but does it feel like there's been a lot of henka this tournament? Even Tochinoshin pulled one out.

Henka is a form of social distancing because you spend less time in proximity to your opponent's face. The wrestlers should be commended for embracing it.

Except ishiura, dick move bro.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
poo poo!!!! I gained way too many places today, I'm not gonna get dead last at this point

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

No audience to get mad at you probably makes it easier.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i don't have any particular feelings about henkas, but if you're using one to defeat an already severely crippled person :cmon:

i think its fair. youre not gonna injure the guy any further by doing that and nobody wants to be pitied. at the end of the day theyre salaried

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

We are doing this for the gods and if the gods want a henka they're gonna get one

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i think its fair. youre not gonna injure the guy any further by doing that and nobody wants to be pitied. at the end of the day theyre salaried

my complaint was not one of legitimacy, or any sort of commentary on the potential health risks it poses either fighter. purely a case of personal distaste.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I was very happy for Tochi and Enho. Loving how this tournqment is moving along.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

If henkas were illegal concussions would be worse.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

my complaint was not one of legitimacy, or any sort of commentary on the potential health risks it poses either fighter. purely a case of personal distaste.

i get it .. but if you want to beat an injured guy without tossing him or falling on him then it seems like the most elegant solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aoiyama
What a great fight, good aggression and it looked like mitakeumi didn't get set, though his move to get off the edge of the dohyo was slick