Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I tremble in terror at what Pools of Darkness is saving up for you.

I'm sure it'll be fine! In other news who installed this basketball hoop over my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Chokes has to survive the tedium of SSB first.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

JustJeff88 posted:

Chokes... as glad as I am to see another LP by you, I cannot tell if you are a madman or a genius for playing the Amiga version. I realise that it's slightly less ugly, but I don't know how anyone could play these games anymore without the Gold Box Companion. There was another LP of these games (DOS version) some years ago. It was genuinely funny, but the author lost all of his saves at the start of the third game in the series and the LP died. It's still around, but all of the images have since been lost - a bloody shame. The lesson to be learned here, I suppose, is "make backups".

I think my save was corrupted if I remember right. I could be wrong; it has been a long time. It was a fun LP to write and I miss writing those characters but the game was a slog. Nice to see someone else trying. It takes a certain level of masochism to play these games. I salute you.

Also fun fact. At least in the version I played it did not matter what the Resist Cold spell did because there are no enemies that use a cold attack in the entire game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xenocides posted:

I think my save was corrupted if I remember right. I could be wrong; it has been a long time. It was a fun LP to write and I miss writing those characters but the game was a slog. Nice to see someone else trying. It takes a certain level of masochism to play these games. I salute you.

Also fun fact. At least in the version I played it did not matter what the Resist Cold spell did because there are no enemies that use a cold attack in the entire game.

Detect invisibility is also useless! Everyone you'll fight that can do that are actually using Blink! And I still can't figure out what the hell Dispel Evil is or if it even does anything.

There's a lot of dead content in all these games. It's one of those rare moments of the engine supporting something no one ever used. Maybe it gets used in non Forgotten Realms games idk

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Detect invisibility is also useless! Everyone you'll fight that can do that are actually using Blink! And I still can't figure out what the hell Dispel Evil is or if it even does anything.

There's a lot of dead content in all these games. It's one of those rare moments of the engine supporting something no one ever used. Maybe it gets used in non Forgotten Realms games idk

Dispel Evil allows you to make an attack that banishes an evil extraplanar being. Until it lands, your AC is supposed to be boosted against evil opponents. I know that the banishment can potentially work but many creatures which should have the "extraplanar being" tag do not.

If memory serves, you can use it against Flame Snakes in PoD. Not that they're worth a L5 cleric slot to banish.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I banished an Aurak Draconian and some Skeleton Warriors with Dispel Evil in the Krynn games. One hit kills. But it very rarely worked.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xenocides posted:

I am glad that you are well, but I wish that you had sent the first two games, at least, to the archives. The text is there but the photos are gone, and I doubt that you kept them. It was a great LP while it lasted.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I am glad that you are well, but I wish that you had sent the first two games, at least, to the archives. The text is there but the photos are gone, and I doubt that you kept them. It was a great LP while it lasted.

Yeah, I regretted that. It was one of my first LPs and I was not archiving my images at all. I am pretty sure I did not even know the LP archive was a thing.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

Chokes McGee posted:

lmfao I just accidentally broke curse over my knee in about 14 hours. Advice to bad guys, don't give Rez her powers back, it doesn't end well for you

I didn't know chainsaws were in the Forgotten Realms.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Cast Haste on a high-level warrior armed with two axes" is the D&D chainsaw.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kliff posted:

I didn't know chainsaws were in the Forgotten Realms.

I'm as surprised as you are!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Well, good news, everyone. I'm not dead from the sars and, in fact, will be updating in a day or two. I expect to have some extra time to work on the LP given that I've literally been welded into my house to prevent me from getting coffee or whatever. I don't know how they welded wood but they managed it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Given we're all stuck in our homes waiting for the hellplague to pass, we'll be happy to read your updates!

I think I'd be going nuts without stuff like LPs in these times.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I too am looking forward to the updates. Also, here's hoping the world decides to stop living in fear at some point soon (I don't want to get sick or make others sick, but I hope you know what I mean).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, good news, everyone. I'm not dead from the sars and, in fact, will be updating in a day or two. I expect to have some extra time to work on the LP given that I've literally been welded into my house to prevent me from getting coffee or whatever. I don't know how they welded wood but they managed it.

Can you send the wasps out to run errands for you?

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

you can actually weld wood and I think there are already some commercial solution to do so
have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0k04hjdYuQ

TitanG fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 18, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh... oh Chokes... I'm so sorry to hear you have DREADED MUMMY DISEASE. If there's anything we can do to help you overcome DREADES MUMMY DISEASE, please don't hesitate to let us know.

That is why they welded your door shut, right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

Oh... oh Chokes... I'm so sorry to hear you have DREADED MUMMY DISEASE. If there's anything we can do to help you overcome DREADES MUMMY DISEASE, please don't hesitate to let us know.

That is why they welded your door shut, right?

I have been casting Dispel Magic to get rid of the :zombie:DREADED MUMMY DISEASE:zombie: but it's just not working, HP is running low and I think I'm going to have to trade out Prayer for Cure Disease

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

Can you send the wasps out to run errands for you?

who do you think did the welding

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 18: Winning Friends and Influencing People (Part 1)

AAAA AAAAA

FIREBALL NEED A FIREBALL CAST A FIREBALL

*record scratch*

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here.

PUT DOWN THAT GODDAMN TURNTABLE AND CAST A SPELL BEFORE WE ALL DIE

Oh right!

:boom:

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we're going to lampshade Chokes losing an update engage in complex diplomatic relations! For example: here, our guys are visiting the court of the Kobold King and rescuing *squints at card* Princess Fatima. Well, that's what it says, so it must be true. Besides an entire dump truck full of kobolds, we're also facing off against four trolls. This is not good times for us.

Even worse? It's just the appetizer. Clearing this fight does not clear the mission. Not by a long shot.

Looks like we win!

Unless they have some sort of secret weapon!

:ughh:

You got it.

*wuhtunk*

*sip*

After the first wave, the kobolds fire loving ballistas into your party. There's not much you can do except hope the kobolds fail their THAC0 roll or hope the damage is low. We're not anywhere near done, and we need all the hitpoints we can get for these next few fights. It's absolutely ludricrous and, quite frankly, a really good argument against doing this whole level. It's completely optional, doesn't gain you much, and you're probably already smacking against the level cap.

Plus, it's not like we were in pristine shape to start with. Keep in mind we missed most of the kobold cave, which—in addition to traps literally everywhere—has a loving wyvern in one area. There is a very good pun to be made here, but it's been trimmed for space. So, in case you were wondering, that's wy not vern.

Here's wave two. You'll note that there's something new on the front lines.

They get back up?!

Just hit them harder! They'll go down eventually!

Maybe if Princess Antifa would start helping...

IT'S FATIMA

Ugh, whatever.

Boars are fun* because they have no Unconscious status and keep fighting while dying. You either have to do enough damage to kill it outright or wait for it to bleed out. It's every bit as annoying as it sounds and, quite frankly, somewhat unnerving. It's one of the many reasons I don't like fighting them. Fortunately, the game rarely makes you fight them. Unfortunately, this is one of the times we're forced to. Yes, that's a dangling preposition. No, I don't care.

* not fun

Oh, by the way: we're penalized during each and every single one of these fights. Didn't I mention that? Anyone who isn't a dwarf, halfling, or gnome is operating at a THAC0 and movement penalty. These are kobold caves, which means they're made for tiny folk, not lumbering oafs like us. Also, we're dealing with all of this and a second dump truck of kobolds. I like sweeping seven of the little bastards at once as much as the next sadist, but all those plinks and arrows add up.

Eventually, we clear out the mob. Sternn throws rocks at the last boar from a safe distance until it dies.

In the process, we've lost Princess Antifa Fatima. Despite her fiesty introduction of strangling a kobold—no, seriously, that's word for word the description—she's pretty useless. Ergo, nothing of value was lost.

Jesus. What the gently caress is wrong with your face?

Hey! I know I'm evil and working for a fire demon, but that's just hurtful.

Yeah, I guess it was a dick move.

On the other hand, your hideous nightmare visage will haunt us long after you're dead.

:smith:

Haven't had enough bullshit? Well, good news! There's more bullshit!

Fight #3 (three!) involves two trolls, some wild boar, a few level 5 fighters, and whatever kobolds are left. We are literally limping through the encounter at this point and need some luck in order to get over the finish line.

:golgo:

Fortunately, it arrives in the form of a Stinking Cloud that takes out both trolls on the first try.

A combo of Hold Person and Sternn's Sling of Seeking takes care of the fighters, and we punch everything else in the face until there's nothing left to punch. The envoys drop Two Handed Swords +2, and I don't care. Also, once this mess of fights has been concluded, the party's ability to rest/heal/memorize is restored. You won't get kobolds flinging rocks at your heads every time you try, so immediately drop what you're doing and take advantage of this, because we're still not done here.

Hmm. The king appears to have vanished. :thunk:

It doesn't take a genius to figure out there's a secret door. I mean, our guys figured it out, so.

ARE YOU SERIOUS

Whoops, guess that wasn't it after all! We have to beat the King's guard before we can get to him. At least you get to heal and reload before this one, because the trolls are still nightmare threshing machines, and this fight takes three tries. At any level, Trolls ain't nothin' to gently caress with. Still, we finally get enough Stinking Clouds to stick, and we soldier through.

Finally. I am going to kill this little runt so hard when I get my hands on him.

Well, it's poetic, at least.

Yeah. Too bad about the lack of catharsis an' all.

Um, should we stop Justine? She's kicking a corpse.

*kick* gently caress YOU *kick* gently caress YOU

I mean, you're welcome to try.

After all the horse poo poo, you don't get to kill the king. He just falls into one of his pit traps and dies. Ha ha, gently caress you! Also, if you search around his quarters, there's a bottle with an efreet in it. As long as you don't tell him you're a vampire for some unfathomably stupid reason, he'll tell you not to release him again until you face one, which... is an oddly specific request. As Vlad has been safely put back in his book, it's useless other than selling it for thousands of platinum, and we don't actually have anything to spend that on. The best part? If you release him during the Valhingen fight, the battlefield is so clogged up that he's practically worthless.

This whole mission just loving sucks.

With the kobold caves finally cleaned out, we swing by the city to drop off Princess Fatwa Fatima to the one person who cares even less about her than I do, and we're off on a mission of vital diplomatic importance. We're carrying a sealed envelope from the Head Councilman that we're instructed not to open under any circumstances. I guess it'd be an act of treason, or war, or something. I'm not really clear on the details. We would, of course, open it immediately—possibly in the Councilman's office, right in front of him—but the game doesn't give us that option.

Even better: our destination is Zhentil Keep. You know, the one known for its evil tyrants and flags of the Black Hand of Bane. That Zhentil Keep.

Sure, just going to ride into Zenthil loving Keep with a sealed black envelope. Everything seems totally legit and on the level. Should be fine.

Welcome to the glory that is Zhentil Keep. :smug:

Ehn.

Seen better.

Totally.

*stomps on foot*

OW I mean looks great! :thumbsup:

Papers, please.

Okay, he's evil.

Will you be quiet? We're on a diplomatic mission!

*strokes persian cat*

Oh come on!

I hope you guys appreciate the willpower it's taking to walk away from that one.

I dunno. If they're gonna throw softballs over the plate like that...

Hmm. "Made in China."

How did they even get something from China?

Really? That's what you're questioning about this whole thing?

I feel it's a valid concern.

OH YEAH? I'M GONNA

*shoves* Of course! Nothing to see here! Going back in!

Okay, look. Normally I'm all for wrangling these idiots, but this is absolutely, 100% a setup.

We don't know that for certain. New Phlan can't afford for you to be wrong.

Oh yeah? What the hell has Sasha ever done for us?

Besides the constant passive aggressive abuse?

Well, yeah.

I think I've got an angle to get past the guards.

Y'know that involves giving him our money, right?

Okay, new plan. Let's knife him in the kidneys.

Let's... let's just wait for dinner.

Boar, huh?

Oh, yes. We buy our meat fresh from a local distributor.

quote:

And you're sure this is fresh? We need it fresh.

Oh yeah. Killed just a few hours ago. *sip*

Hmm.

But, enough of that.

Terrible! :thumbsup:

Sternn

Finally, someone who says what they mean. Sending a diplomat like you casts New Phlan in a highly positive light.

*snicker*

pfft

eberhard lmao

You know what? I'm going to enjoy some of this wine.

You gonna give that bottle back when you're done, or...?

Ha. "Done."

Well, there's this pool that everyone keeps talking about.

They do?

Sure?

Shanna? Normally, I'd tell you to stop being a nerd, but...

Go write it yourself. I'm busy. *swig*

Okay...

Journal Entry 46 posted:

A totally rad dinner conversation.

"This is an old story that I first heard while, like, serving at the Citadel of The Raven. Dirg was a total hottie -- the type able to snap five men's backs with his bare hands, wrestle and tame the cloud horses, pierce a man with a javelin from many miles away, and other equally gnarly things.

"So, Dirg and his band of men found a pool of unfrozen water or some junk while wandering in the snowy wastes. Dirg's little pet lizard Jezma got too close to the pool and discovered that not only was the water totally not frozen, it was boiling hot; so hot that it cooked the skin right off of Jezma, which was super gross.

"Dirg was so angered he thrust his spear into the pool and totally roiled the waters. The demon of fire that inhabited the pool was disturbed and roared out of the pool to do battle. The demon leapt from man to man, comsuming them in, like, a single touch.

"But the demon of fire could not defeat Dirg. Neither could Dirg find a weapon strong enough to withstand the creature's fire. After battling for an entire day, Dirg finally called upon his totem god for aid? With this magical aid, Dirg was able to trap the flaming demon in a triangle of power? Where supposedly he is even to this day?"

There. It was gross, but I did it.

*reads*

Well?

Yup. Nailed it.

Tiran-who-now?

Don't look at me. I was barely payin' attention to the other one.

Which one?

What?

*drinking intensifies*

Pretty good! In fact, the council hired some group of suckers to go clean his armies out.

Wow. What kind of idiot would agree to that?

Beats me. I've heard tales that there's five of them.

Four.

Yes, my mistake. Four.

Wow. What a bunch of chumps!

Pass that wine over.

No.

I like that guy! There's just something about him.

You mean the fact he's going to murder us in our sleep?

Yeah! That's it.

(beep boop, goto sleep)

Okay, we'll rotate so we're ready when something goes down. I'll take first watch.

Don't you mean if something goes down?

No. No, I do not.

Yeah? Let 'em come! I got a hammer with their names on it! *hic*

You're drunk, Shanna. Go home.

You want me to put your name on my hammer? Heathurrr! Get me a chit—a chizza—somethin' to carve with!

Everybody. I'm sure it'll be fine. Sure, the commandant seems dodgy, but he wouldn't risk an act of open war by—

*record scratch*

Where do you keep getting those from?

Oh, you know. Around.

COME GET SOME YOU ZHENTIL FUCKS

Next Time: Winning Friends and Influencing People (Part 2)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I really think this is my favorite mission because not only is it a giant exposition dump by bad guys about hitherto largely miss-able story elements and other bad guys, it practically has a EULA for the nighttime ambush.

Which is essentially the finest of D&D traditions.

DM without a nighttime encounter: That's enough for today, tomorrow you?
Players - Well we go shopping.

DM with a nighttime encounter: Ok, you're tired what are you doing about it.
Players - Eh, sleeping, we can go shopping in the morning and then.....
DM oddly specific to prep the encounter: I'm going to need a watch order...and for you to endorse here here here....
Players: We're sleeping on top of the fortress of solitude guarded by the seven sacred dragons and with a stern A+B watch rotation. We are masters of preparedness.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Areas like the Kobold cave are why, when replying PoR, I would routinely create two disposable multiclassed spellcasters (1 cleric, 1 wizard) who would get dropped for a paladin and ranger in Curse. You have more fireballs for the fights, and more cure light wounds spells which you can cast. This is also clearly a spot to expend some of those potions and magic item uses you otherwise save up through multiple games in the series.

Also, the Zhentil Keep dinner conversation proves what I've always though about most RPGs: combat is usually far less dangerous than conversation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

Also, the Zhentil Keep dinner conversation proves what I've always though about most RPGs: combat is usually far less dangerous than conversation.

Not sure if you guys caught it or not, but that conversation... oof. I'm notorious missing words when I type, and even I know whoever did it needed an editor post-haste.

I mean, they referred to us as "the characters" at some point.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Supposedly those Kobold Cave penalties go away if there is a monster other than Kobolds fighting you. I think that would be too difficult to implement so they in fact apply throughout the caves. Grrr.

The only other thing I’ll mention about the Kobold Caves is the large amount of worthless items you get for finding its treasury. Moldy Rugs, Ratty Tapestries, and over 5k copper pieces. Clearly this place was created by a lousy GM.

It’s not *the* Zhentil Keep we’re visiting, just a local outpost for its military. And yeah, they’re Evil. The upcoming fights will not be fun.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

Supposedly those Kobold Cave penalties go away if there is a monster other than Kobolds fighting you. I think that would be too difficult to implement so they in fact apply throughout the caves. Grrr.

The only other thing I’ll mention about the Kobold Caves is the large amount of worthless items you get for finding its treasury. Moldy Rugs, Ratty Tapestries, and over 5k copper pieces. Clearly this place was created by a lousy GM.

It’s not *the* Zhentil Keep we’re visiting, just a local outpost for its military. And yeah, they’re Evil. The upcoming fights will not be fun.

So it's not *the* Zhentil Keep so much as *a* Zhentil Keep. Got it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wow, I never saw this nighttime ambush coming after getting tons of information dumped on us by an Extravagantly Evil Gentleman At Dinner. I'm so surprised :frog:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

One way to break the game later is to make a bunch of rangers and once they get to the point that they get magic user spells (level 9) dual class to Magic User. Once they get over the dual class threshold you have a wizard that can cast wearing any armor.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So what happens if you just choose to go to sleep? Everyone dies?

Xenocides posted:

One way to break the game later is to make a bunch of rangers and once they get to the point that they get magic user spells (level 9) dual class to Magic User. Once they get over the dual class threshold you have a wizard that can cast wearing any armor.

Hahah, wait, 1E Rangers got mage spells rather than druid spells?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PurpleXVI posted:

Yep!

szary
Mar 12, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

As far as I remember, the guards come in and stab one character for all of their HP, then combat proceeds as normal.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

szary posted:

As far as I remember, the guards come in and stab one character for all of their HP, then combat proceeds as normal.

Not for ALL their HP, but they do get a free backstab, so yes all of their HP.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xenocides posted:

One way to break the game later is to make a bunch of ... Magic User

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Both, actually!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, did 1e even have druid spells? I thought druids were an offshoot of clerics at that point.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I think druids were a "sub-class" of clerics that had a completely different experience table, HD growth, and spell selection.

Chokes McGee posted:

After all the horse poo poo, you don't get to kill the king. He just falls into one of his pit traps and dies. Ha ha, gently caress you! Also, if you search around his quarters, there's a bottle with an efreet in it. As long as you don't tell him you're a vampire for some unfathomably stupid reason, he'll tell you not to release him again until you face one, which... is an oddly specific request. As Vlad has been safely put back in his book, it's useless other than selling it for thousands of platinum, and we don't actually have anything to spend that on. The best part? If you release him during the Valhingen fight, the battlefield is so clogged up that he's practically worthless.

To elaborate, all single-fight allies start out behind your party. With the efreet being two tiles tall, and both fights against the vampire taking place in narrow hallways, that means he just moves around uselessly, unable to get in melee range to attack or at least save your characters from a level drain or two. However, he IS within the range of the charm gaze and thus likely to end up another enemy to fight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alpha3KV posted:

I think druids were a "sub-class" of clerics that had a completely different experience table, HD growth, and spell selection.

To elaborate, all single-fight allies start out behind your party. With the efreet being two tiles tall, and both fights against the vampire taking place in narrow hallways, that means he just moves around uselessly, unable to get in melee range to attack or at least save your characters from a level drain or two. However, he IS within the range of the charm gaze and thus likely to end up another enemy to fight.

I never even considered that :hmbol:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alpha3KV posted:

That's magical.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Randalor posted:

Wait, did 1e even have druid spells? I thought druids were an offshoot of clerics at that point.

Sort of. Druids used cleric spells but were restricted to certain cleric spheres. Pretty sure druid spells did not become their own grouping with unique spells until 3rd edition.

And as was mentioned Rangers get Druid and Magic User spells but they are pretty mediocre. They get druid spells at 8th level and max out at level 3 spells and only get two of each level. For Magic User spells they max out at 2nd level and get two of each level. Weirdly they do get their full level as a caster level so a 9th level Ranger chucks Magic Missiles like a 9th level magic user.

It is also a bug in the Gold Box games. By a strict reading of the rules the Ranger/Magic User would be able to cast their Ranger Magic User spells in armor but not their Magic User Magic User spells.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Ah yes, the days when the Zhentarim were army-of-conquest evil and not D&D mafia evil. They eventually figured out the latter gets you less adventurer related personnel turnover. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Druids had their own spell list in 1e, same as illusionists, but there was a lot of cross over