Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

chitoryu12 posted:

I would prefer not to hire someone who's chronically absent because of alcohol abuse.

They should have a more socially-acceptable habit, like powder cocaine

Edit: well this was a garbage snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kith posted:

Would you prefer that they go to work and perform in a subpar manner because they feel like poo poo? Like, say, if they're operating heavy machinery and someone's life (or multiple lives) could very well be on the line?

Guess what you get to do if you’re a manager and you see somebody come in sick and endanger other peoples’ safety.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Taking hangover sick days to excess is one of those things that should theoretically work itself out indirectly.

Hourly usually has the lever of being able to give the good shifts to the people with good attendance/those always volunteering during callouts and coverage so you would reward good behavior and you don't have as much of a moral crisis in trying to determine if the sick folks are consciously loving you with avoidable sick days or they actually are chronically ill.

Salary all comes down to the performance review and any lapses from excess sick days could get shown off here with recommendations made on salary or reviewing alternate assignments in case the ones they do have are getting messed up with the constant time off.

Of course in the race to the bottom hourly positions are always understaffed in a way callouts and coverage are impossible to find someone for and salaried worker performance reviews are a giant scam to freeze salaries below inflation growth to get to pay employees less over time. So those levers are probably not as useful as you want.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

StrangersInTheNight posted:

who gives a gently caress, it's their sick days let them use them as they need. there's no rule the sickness has to be a flu or cold or poo poo, working hungover sucks, and it's pretty bullshit any manager ever thinks they have a right to audit this stuff

sure if they go over their sick days and cause issues that's one thing, but otherwise, let it go

They typically aren't using sick days. They hold onto those to use as vacation.
What happens is that everyone else has to work harder to cover their load. Customers get poorer service. Then you have to add staff to the schedule and assume that someone is "sick" all the time even though they aren't.

It would be fine if those sort of people called the night before saying that they might not make it in giving time to find someone else to cover but they never do. They call about 10 minutes after their shift started to say that they're sick. They know who they are and they know what they did.

Yes, managers have to audit sick days. It's fine if you have health problems. That we can work with. No big deal. When you're a healthy young adult that never shows up for your Saturday shift, that's a problem.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you have sick days it's literally none of the boss's business why you're taking them. It's your time, you're entitled to it, take it. Especially if it's a place where it vanishes at the end of each year and doesn't carry over. If the guy were taking vacation days to deal with his hangovers, would the situation be any different? No, because it's his paid time off and he gets to take it.

I get not wanting to hire chronic alcoholics, but if you don't want to do that then don't hire them. And if this is unpaid time off we're talking about, then unpaid attendance issues are a problem and warrant disciplinary action if they're severe enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

I get not wanting to hire chronic alcoholics, but if you don't want to do that then don't hire them.

This is probably in the running for the stupidest thing I'll see all day.

What particular screening method do you use to determine if someone is a "chronic alcoholic" prior to hiring? Have PIs follow them around before you give them an offer?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o67AsE4lf0

Skip to 10 minutes (I don't know how to do timestamps)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Entitled sick days paid off is one of the worst policies I can imagine because you now have the worst game imaginable: how many vacation sickies can you take without loving over everybody by catching mono in November.

It's another beep boop lever dreamt up by corporate America to have cause to fire poor performance blowing back in their face when it isn't blowing back on the workers face when they catch something that takes less time to recover than short term disability but they ran out of paid sick days.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

AceClown posted:

I knew which one that was immediately. That thing looks like it hungers for flesh even when turned off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Apparently Takata's redesigned airbags still have issues:

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/17/yet-more-takata-airbags-are-causing-fatalities-despite-different-propellant-chemistry/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Proteus Jones posted:

What particular screening method do you use to determine if someone is a "chronic alcoholic" prior to hiring? Have PIs follow them around before you give them an offer?

It's very possible that chronic alcoholism might just show up in someone's prior employment history.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Phanatic posted:

It's very possible that chronic alcoholism might just show up in someone's prior employment history.

What sort of information do you think employers get from work history checks?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Phanatic posted:

How? The frequent sickdays it's "none of the boss's business" why they were taken?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If you're a chronic alcoholic to the point that it affects your work, you'll get fired. So it will show up in your work history as you being a bad worker without anyone having to know its because of alcoholism. Or if you get a DUI it will show up in a background check

If you're a chronic alcoholic and it doesnt affect your work performance and you dont drive drunk, nobody will ever give a poo poo

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Keru posted:

I knew which one that was immediately. That thing looks like it hungers for flesh even when turned off.

To be honest, it looks really lame by the thread standards. Low rotation and the blades look like maybe they'd give you a scratch but it's not going to eat through your abdomen if you make a mistake, and it comes with anti-cut gloves even so you just can't hurt yourself with it. It looks like the ergonomy would take an hour or two to get used to, though.

You know what can kill you? A kitchen knife can kill you. Better not have any of those in your kitchen!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iowa has declared a “Public Health Disaster State of Emergency.” Among the declarations therein, such as opening up requirements for people to work in the medical field (medical professionals with expired licenses, students deemed trained enough, etc) and the like, there’s some specific truckfuckling changes in regards to overtime for drivers moving medical supplies, but hey, also don’t make tired drivers drive (lol) and if the driver opts to do so, they can get a day off if they put in almost two weeks worth of driving in one. I can’t imagine a freight company ever pressuring a driver to push beyond reasonable limits, I’m sure this is fine.

quote:

SECTION NINETEEN. Pursuant to Iowa Code § 29C.6 (6) and 49 CFR § 390.23, I continue to temporarily suspend the regulatory provisions of Iowa Code § 321.449 pertaining to hours of service of motor carriers and drivers of commercial motor vehicles, while transporting vaccines, antivirals, prescription drugs, protective equipment, and other necessary medical assets, subject to the following condition:

A. Nothing contained in this Proclamation shall be construed as an exemption from the controlled substances and alcohol use and testing requirements set out in 49 CFR Part 382, the commercial drivers’ license requirements set out in 49 CFR Part 383, the financial responsibility requirements set out in 49 CFR Part 387, or any other portion of the Code of Federal Regulations not specifically identified in this Proclamation.

B. No motor carrier operating under the terms of this agreement shall require or allow a fatigued or ill driver to operate a motor vehicle. A driver who informs a carrier that he or she needs immediate rest shall be given at least ten consecutive hours off duty before the driver is required to return to service.

C. Upon the request of a driver, a commercial motor carrier operating under this proclamation must give the driver at least thirty-four (34) consecutive hours off when the driver has been on duty for more than seventy (70) hours during any eight (8) consecutive days.

D. Motor carriers that have an out-of-service order in effect may not take advantage of the relief from regulations that this proclamation provides under title 49 CFR § 390.23.

E. Upon the expiration of this Proclamation, or when a driver has been relieved of all duty and responsibility to transport necessary medical assets under the conditions of this Proclamation, a driver who has had at least thirty-four (34) consecutive hours off duty shall be permitted to start the driver’s on-duty status hours with the 60/70 hour clock at zero.

F. This portion of this Proclamation of Disaster Emergency applies only to hours of service of motor carriers and drivers of commercial motor vehicles while actively transporting medical assets related to the COVID-19 event.

The original doc: https://idph.iowa.gov/News/ArtMID/646/ArticleID/158309/Gov-Reynolds-issues-a-State-of-Public-Health-Disaster-Emergency-31720

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mostlygray posted:

Yes, managers have to audit sick days. It's fine if you have health problems. That we can work with. No big deal. When you're a healthy young adult that never shows up for your Saturday shift, that's a problem.

Nah, you just weren't prepared for the realities of being manager, which is that poo poo happens, people bail and it's on you to fix it. That's your role. Sorry that workers sometimes make that difficult, but your plans not lining up perfectly due to someone calling out and having to think on your feet and fill that gap is literally your function.

That's the gig, is lining poo poo up, then having to rework things as workers can't come in because they aren't machines and it's your job to be able to accommodate that.

Getting upset because your pretty little plans didn't work out and trying to force everyone so you don't have to be flexible is what a lovely manager does.

Don't make someone come in when they're too ill to work, fullstop. Even if you think they 'did it to themselves'. You're potentially endangering your other workers just bc you want to 'teach someone a lesson'. Your other workers aren't guinea pigs to be used in that manner.

You are letting the desire to punish the 'bad workers' overwhelm your responsibility to the rest of your team.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 18, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nah, you just weren't prepared for the realities of being manager, which is that poo poo happens, people bail and it's on you to fix it. That's your role. Sorry that workers sometimes make that difficult, but your plans not lining up perfectly due to someone calling out and having to think on your feet and fill that gap is literally your function.

That's the gig, is lining poo poo up, then having to rework things as workers can't come in because they aren't machines and it's your job to be able to accommodate that.

Getting upset because your pretty little plans didn't work out and trying to force everyone so you don't have to be flexible is what a lovely manager does.

Don't make someone come in when they're too ill to work, fullstop. Even if you think they 'did it to themselves'. You're potentially endangering your other workers just bc you want to 'teach someone a lesson'. Your other workers aren't guinea pigs to be used in that manner.

You are letting the desire to punish the 'bad workers' overwhelm your responsibility to the rest of your team.

Are you the guy who keeps skipping work due to hangovers?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

zedprime posted:

Entitled sick days paid off is one of the worst policies I can imagine because you now have the worst game imaginable: how many vacation sickies can you take without loving over everybody by catching mono in November.

It's another beep boop lever dreamt up by corporate America to have cause to fire poor performance blowing back in their face when it isn't blowing back on the workers face when they catch something that takes less time to recover than short term disability but they ran out of paid sick days.

Am I missing something here or are you claiming sick leave is a corporate plot?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mostlygray posted:

Or you can audit their deliverables like an adult.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Turns out the UK government knew from wargame exercises three years ago we didn't have ventilators or PPE in sufficient numbers for a flu-like pandemic. They knew three months ago one was coming. They didn't do anything, at all, to stock up.

So now our hospitals have staff working with pandemic patients without PPE. That's quite the OSHA.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

AceClown posted:

That thing is just a power drill with a mace attached to it. Is it even listed on any of the insurance testing labs?

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Bad Munki posted:

Iowa has declared a “Public Health Disaster State of Emergency.” Among the declarations therein, such as opening up requirements for people to work in the medical field (medical professionals with expired licenses, students deemed trained enough, etc) and the like, there’s some specific truckfuckling changes in regards to overtime for drivers moving medical supplies, but hey, also don’t make tired drivers drive (lol) and if the driver opts to do so, they can get a day off if they put in almost two weeks worth of driving in one. I can’t imagine a freight company ever pressuring a driver to push beyond reasonable limits, I’m sure this is fine.

The original doc: https://idph.iowa.gov/News/ArtMID/646/ArticleID/158309/Gov-Reynolds-issues-a-State-of-Public-Health-Disaster-Emergency-31720

Lol I'm imagining all the companies that are hauling a box of masks plus a 55-foot trailer full of other freight to satisfy the requirements of the proclamation.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

AceClown posted:

Indian grandmas use these types of things all the time with no issues. There are wet grinders that have these as attachments so they sit with the blades facing up instead of sideways like that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn_b5Xu5EkI

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

I saw that exact same sign in the adult bookstore!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

who gives a gently caress, it's their sick days let them use them as they need. there's no rule the sickness has to be a flu or cold or poo poo, working hungover sucks, and it's pretty bullshit any manager ever thinks they have a right to audit this stuff

sure if they go over their sick days and cause issues that's one thing, but otherwise, let it go

last place I worked there was indeed a rule you couldn't use sick days for self inflicted stuff

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

EasilyConfused posted:

Am I missing something here or are you claiming sick leave is a corporate plot?
Entitled days per year are a corporate plot. You should get unlimited paid sick days up until something like short term disability kicks in and then you deal with the abusers by

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or you can audit their deliverables like an adult.

E. The bigger problem with this theoretical dream land is that if attendence is becoming a problem, whether it's self inflicted or a chronic condition, there needs to be a way to fire them that doesn't doom them to die on the streets unemployed.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 18, 2020

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I've gone through vomit illness, sinus infection, and fever of some sort over the last three weeks, boss got pissy because we're understaffed and I should just take an ibuprofen and push through it, I kind of wanted to come in and get lots of people sick so we'd be more understaffed but that's ultimately a bigger dick move than being a weenie of a manager.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Unlimited PTO of any kind results in people not actually using PTO because they are afraid to be judged by coworkers from what I've seen. Just combining vacation days and sick leave into "PTO" and then not counting dr/pt appointments against PTO is for the best I think, as long as that PTO pool is 3 or 4 weeks at minimum. If someone is going to be out so long they use up all their PTO, then they should be either working from home, on short term disability, or have another special arrangement worked out.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

You could have enough leave allowance that you don't have to use sick days to get regular time off, works for us :shrug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
gently caress me could we please have this D&D style circlejerk over sick days anywhere but here? Who gives a gently caress about you talking past one another?

Here have a trench cave-in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmcD3aM8X4

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

As a card-carrying German (I carry my card in the claw of my inflatable lobster at all times), I was fully prepared to respond to this Twitter post with a solid stdh.txt

Alas, here I am, completely reduced to tears of laughter, having naught but a recommendation to read that Twitter thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dannywilson posted:

Look at that S-Car Go.

:drat:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

chitoryu12 posted:

I would prefer not to hire someone who's chronically absent because of alcohol abuse.

Unless you happen to be clairvoyant or they admit to having alcohol problems in the interview, you can't make that choice. If people choose to "abuse" their sick days, that's their choice. As long as they're accomplishing their work otherwise, why does it matter?

Fallom posted:

Guess what you get to do if you’re a manager and you see somebody come in sick and endanger other peoples’ safety.

Do their job for them or send them home, either temporarily or permanently?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OctaMurk posted:

Unlimited PTO of any kind results in people not actually using PTO because they are afraid to be judged by coworkers from what I've seen. Just combining vacation days and sick leave into "PTO" and then not counting dr/pt appointments against PTO is for the best I think, as long as that PTO pool is 3 or 4 weeks at minimum. If someone is going to be out so long they use up all their PTO, then they should be either working from home, on short term disability, or have another special arrangement worked out.

Ahahahaha

Do you seriously think the solution to make people actually take sick days when they're sick is to ... make them burn their vacation time to do it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jabor posted:

Ahahahaha

Do you seriously think the solution to make people actually take sick days when they're sick is to ... make them burn their vacation time to do it?

It's the american way.

Also by calling vacation PTO they aren't obligated to pay it out when you leave, so it's win/win.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Azhais posted:

It's the american way.

Also by calling vacation PTO they aren't obligated to pay it out when you leave, so it's win/win.

*laughs in californian*

That's actually completely the opposite, as here PTO/Vacation is earned pay.

it's also why I have 'unlimited' time off

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jabor posted:

Ahahahaha

Yes, works pretty well for us so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
We have vacation time and sick time. Since unused vacation time pays out on your anniversary (recently changed to letting us carry it over) but sick time expires, it is recommended to us to use sick time first, even if it's a planned absence.

(my boss doesn't care if I'm using sick or vacation time for any specific thing).