Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I grabbed a thing of hydralite just in case but it's more just in case if anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

it's like a quarter as many wipes and it's gone

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

important psa

Wizard Master posted:

(In Professor Farnsworth from Futurama voice) Good news everyone
https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1239988747636076545

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

cops are panic hoarding too it seems

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think work is going to split us into team A and team B. Team A will work from home and Team B will go to work as normal and swap each day.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Thinking bout growing a choko

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I think work is going to split us into team A and team B. The A Team is a crack commando unit that was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I think work is going to split us into team A and team B. Team A will work from home and Team B will go to work as normal and swap each day.

Same but weekly. They reckon we'll all be working from home by the end of next week.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
oh yeah it would probably be weekly. Nothing has been announced I just keep my ear to the ground.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jestery posted:

Thinking bout growing a choko

They grow like weeds, we had a massive one up the back fence of a place I lived in Toowoomba

Had no idea you could eat em, especially that a lot of ethnic foods (African and indian specifically) actually use a lot of em

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just realised I've used 1 and a bit toilet rolls on my own in 3 weeks and I think most of that one roll was over the first week living here where I wasn't at work

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

they are stocking Absolut by the case at my Dan Murphys

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I don't mind Absolut as a mixer. I was thinking of slowly stocking a basic bar for both things I like to drink and basic cocktail ability.

Gin
Rum
Bourbon
Vodka
Tequila
Mezcal
Rye whiskey
Single malts
And good bitters

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpergin posted:

I literally just got it because the bulb blew in my good viewsonic but I'm thinking at this point why not just get a decent new LED viewsonic. They do a good DLP mini for about $500 now whereas my dlp bulb one was about $1000 years ago

invest in OLED and never look back

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i'm sick of pumpkins already

can't wait to see what comes up next oh wait its more pumpkins

i'm gonna get stoned and bake cookies instead of eating a real dinner (with pumpkin)

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Greg Butcher got his jaw broken in a choko fight when I was about 10
Everyone, including Greg, knew Clive chucked it but noone owned up.
Top shot Clive. Greg was a loving showoff even if he wasnt a dobber.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I hated choko as a young fella. We grew it at home and mum would cook it by boiling the absolute bejesus out of it until it was this lump of grayish green goo that fell apart as soon as you touched it with a fork.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

McSpergin posted:

They grow like weeds, we had a massive one up the back fence of a place I lived in Toowoomba

Had no idea you could eat em, especially that a lot of ethnic foods (African and indian specifically) actually use a lot of em

I have a set of stairs in full sun with a big pile of dirt underneath figure it will make a good impromptu choko trellis

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

ili posted:

I hated choko as a young fella. We grew it at home and mum would cook it by boiling the absolute bejesus out of it until it was this lump of grayish green goo that fell apart as soon as you touched it with a fork.

I reckon a stirfry with chili ,lemon grass and ginger sounds like the business

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ili posted:

I hated choko as a young fella.

I still do. If there's some mystery way to cook it which makes it pleasant to eat, I haven't come across it.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
I just can't wrap my head around this keeping schools open thing. Why limit groups and cancel events when a school with 2000 people is just fine?
My kids get to spend all day breathing all over their friends (gently caress knows who has it since they wont test ya) and then come home.

This government is loving stupid.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I bought an instant pot last night and a 4 slice sanga press on Amazon
Should be here Monday, perfect for stews coming to the winter months

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Today's breakfast: avo on toast with bush spices (McCormick brand), and mozzarella melted on top and a runny fried egg on top

:master:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zkoto posted:

I just can't wrap my head around this keeping schools open thing. Why limit groups and cancel events when a school with 2000 people is just fine?
My kids get to spend all day breathing all over their friends (gently caress knows who has it since they wont test ya) and then come home.

This government is loving stupid.

It's literally only so schools can act as babysitters for healthcare workers.

Current epidemiological information doesn't indicate that closing schools would slow the spread of the virus to any significant degree, but that's not the reason we're keeping them open at the moment.

I do wonder, though, how many parents are really prepared to have their kids home for 6 months. Many parents can't wait for school to go back after normal holidays. Having them at home for 6 months with few outside activities available would be a nightmare for many.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 18, 2020

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lolie posted:

I still do. If there's some mystery way to cook it which makes it pleasant to eat, I haven't come across it.

Legend has it you can cook choko chunks in apple sauce to make a beaut McPie.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Lolie posted:

It's literally only so schools can act as babysitters for healthcare workers.

Current epidemiological information doesn't indicate that closing schools would slow the spread of the virus to any significant degree, but that's not the reason we're keeping them open at the moment.

I do wonder, though, how many parents are really prepared to have their kids home for 6 months. Many parents can't wait for school to go back after normal holidays. Having them at home for 6 months with few outside activities available would be a nightmare for many.

Then why are so many other countries closing their schools? I get that Singapore didn't, but their society and country is completely different to ours. I feel for these poor teachers that have no chance of not getting the roni, hope they don't visit their elderly parents!

And yeah, its gonna be weird to have kids around more, but they managed to do it before mass schooling, so it must be doable.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Choko and white sauce

White sauce makes yer teef go grey!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zkoto posted:

Then why are so many other countries closing their schools? I get that Singapore didn't, but their society and country is completely different to ours. I feel for these poor teachers that have no chance of not getting the roni, hope they don't visit their elderly parents!

And yeah, its gonna be weird to have kids around more, but they managed to do it before mass schooling, so it must be doable.

The government hasn't said they won't close schools. They've said they won't close them yet and warned that when it does happen it will be for a prolonged period and will disrupt the education of many students.

The knock on effect of closing schools will be huge. Many families will have no option but to give up a second income in order to stay home with their kids and a lot of those families are only just getting by as it is.

There will need to be mechanisms in place to ensure that people forced to quit work due to school closures don't find themselves without housing or essential services due to their reduced income. Enough industries have had to dramatically cut staff that we already have many people at risk of that. Before we add to those numbers we need to have a viable, sustainable plan.

There's nothing stopping parents from pulling their kids out of school now if they want to, and many have already chosen to do so.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 18, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Kharnifex posted:

Choko and white sauce

White sauce makes yer teef go grey!

Choko and white sauce somehow manages to be even worse than plain choko.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Zkoto posted:

I’m one of those teachers and it’s pretty poo poo all round atm. I also have a girlfriend who is on immunosuppressant medications so there’s no kissing or hugging happening at home just to be on the safe side.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Lolie posted:

The government hasn't said they won't close schools. They've said they won't close them yet and warned that when it does happen it will be for a prolonged period and will disrupt the education of many students.

The knock on effect of closing schools will be huge. Many families will have no option but to give up a second income in order to stay home with their kids and a lot of those families are only just getting by as it is.

There will need to be mechanisms in place to ensure that people forced to quit work due to school closures don't find themselves without housing or essential services due to their reduced income. Enough industries have had to dramatically cut staff that we already have many people at risk of that. Before we add to those numbers we need to have a viable, sustainable plan.

There's nothing stopping parents from pulling their kids out of school now if they want to, and many have already chosen to do so.

Exacerbating this is that a lot of families rely on the grandparents to look after the kids when they're out of school, which in the current situation is "a bad idea".

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Lolie posted:

Choko and white sauce somehow manages to be even worse than plain choko.

Yeah, it was the worst!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Do opioids have an anxiolytic effect? My doctor increased my Targin dose yesterday and I'm feeling a distinct lack of anxiety today despite the world going to hell in a handbasket.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Lolie posted:

Yeah I get ya, what you say is valid, but this is gonna happen sooner or later. Seems like lots of other places are doing it now rather then doing this wishy washy 'maybe we will soon' thing. It will be interesting to see in a few years when studies are done how many people die because they acted too slow.

Lolie posted:

This is wrong though, you need a valid reason to keep your kids at home otherwise they will be marked down for an unexplained absence. Cool, punish the kids.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I’m one of those teachers and it’s pretty poo poo all round atm. I also have a girlfriend who is on immunosuppressant medications so there’s no kissing or hugging happening at home just to be on the safe side.

I feel for you, my partner is a nurse, so gonna be on the frontlines as well.

Mass strike for teachers when?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my brother had four boiled eggs last night, I'm appalled, I thought we were all in this together to make supplies last but clearly we have a greedy pig in our midst

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zkoto posted:

This is wrong though, you need a valid reason to keep your kids at home otherwise they will be marked down for an unexplained absence. Cool, punish the kids.

I've seen a 30% absence rate being reported. No school district has enough truancy officers to follow up that level of absenteeism. I also doubt that people who are worried enough to withdraw their children from school until this is over are going to care much about how the bureaucracy labels their absence.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Caesar Saladin posted:

my brother had four boiled eggs last night, I'm appalled, I thought we were all in this together to make supplies last but clearly we have a greedy pig in our midst

I'm seriously thinking of buying some powdered egg before everyone else gets the same idea.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Some people lose their welfare if they don't send their kids to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Some people lose their welfare if they don't send their kids to school.

I'm not saying the choice is an easy one, any more than quitting work to stay home with the kids would be an easy choice, but more and more people will need to make tough choices if they want a measure of control over how their households deal with this crisis.