Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have never tried one but have only ever heard that they were, if not LEGIT, at least legit enough that windows took them and nothing further came of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had one get revoked after a few months. Still worked out to a bargain.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Wheeee posted:

Are those super cheap ebay keys legit functioning Microsoft keys?

Salvage keys are valid per EU court ruling, but I don't think they've tested it in court in the US. So it might be a question of where you live and where you're buying from.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Fallom posted:

I had one get revoked after a few months. Still worked out to a bargain.
Must have been a key from an MSDN subscription. You get plenty with one, and they last quite a while after the sub lapses. Back when I had one, I gave a key to a friend of mine, which kept working for another two years after cancelling my subscription.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Oh idgaf about legality or anything, I just wanted to know if I'd have to deal with any bullshit reactivation in the future or anything.

Thanks, looks like eBay has Gabe Newell'd me on operating systems.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I had windows games from 7 installed on my PC, the bin files have to be modified slightly but I used an installer from winaero. The last update silently deleted all of the games. I guess I can sorta understand this since defender recognizes the installer as a 'threat' but I still think it's a kinda lovely move to go and remove software during an update. Last time I checked, the included solitaire in 10 sucked, is this still the case?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Crotch Fruit posted:

I had windows games from 7 installed on my PC, the bin files have to be modified slightly but I used an installer from winaero. The last update silently deleted all of the games. I guess I can sorta understand this since defender recognizes the installer as a 'threat' but I still think it's a kinda lovely move to go and remove software during an update.
Did they get put in C:\Windows? Because the whole windows folder gets nuked when major version updates happen. It's not safe to put anything of your own in folders that belong to the OS. I'd guess most of those old windows games would work even if installed somewhere else.

I learned this because in 7 and XP I used to put various .ico files that I wanted to use for common filetypes in a subdir in Windows (for convenience since I wanted them on the C drive and not in a user folder). Tried doing that with 10 and my icons all disappeared with the first update.

quote:

Last time I checked, the included solitaire in 10 sucked, is this still the case?
yes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

archive.org has a 32-bit version of classic windows solitaire

https://archive.org/download/BestOfWindowsEntertainmentPack64Bit/sol.exe

e: cards.dll https://archive.org/download/BestOfWindowsEntertainmentPack64Bit/cards.dll

Weedle fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 19, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Klyith posted:

Did they get put in C:\Windows? Because the whole windows folder gets nuked when major version updates happen. It's not safe to put anything of your own in folders that belong to the OS. I'd guess most of those old windows games would work even if installed somewhere else.

I learned this because in 7 and XP I used to put various .ico files that I wanted to use for common filetypes in a subdir in Windows (for convenience since I wanted them on the C drive and not in a user folder). Tried doing that with 10 and my icons all disappeared with the first update.

yes
These files were installed in Program Files, I uninstalled and re-ran the installer and everything is back to normal. This happened immediately after installing the 1909 update.

Weedle posted:

archive.org has a 32-bit version of classic windows solitaire

https://archive.org/download/BestOfWindowsEntertainmentPack64Bit/sol.exe

it’s a whopping 60 kb so look out [56K NO!]
Thanks for this, however stock Windows 7 binaries won't run on 10. My digital Life had detailed instructions, it's been a while but I think each executable checks to see if it's on Windows NT 6 and refuses to run if the version number is higher, the fix is simply using a hex editor to change the number in each game executable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

These files were installed in Program Files, I uninstalled and re-ran the installer and everything is back to normal. This happened immediately after installing the 1909 update.

Thanks for this, however stock Windows 7 binaries won't run on 10. My digital Life had detailed instructions, it's been a while but I think each executable checks to see if it's on Windows NT 6 and refuses to run if the version number is higher, the fix is simply using a hex editor to change the number in each game executable.

that one works on 10, it's from an unreleased version of microsoft entertainment pack that doesn't have that check. i forgot that u also need cards.dll though https://archive.org/download/BestOfWindowsEntertainmentPack64Bit/cards.dll

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know the best way to buy and play Alpha Centauri online these days, and if there are any safety implications?

Bonus points if it supports windows and Mac.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

redeyes posted:

Im curious then, what exactly don't you like or miss from 7?

Basic things like sortable start menu list, folder list view not pre-highlighting, other things that I would need to turn on a 7 vm for and review screenshot.

10 is ok (unlike 8) but there was some stuff in 7 that didnt need to be dumped, even if it was relegated into checkbox hell as preferences.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone know the best way to buy and play Alpha Centauri online these days, and if there are any safety implications?

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sri.Theo posted:

GOG appears to have it for a couple of bucks, they're basically the standard in online distribution of old games.

No official Mac support but all GOG titles are DRM free so if you have a way to run Windows software on your Mac you can just install there too.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

wolrah posted:

GOG appears to have it for a couple of bucks, they're basically the standard in online distribution of old games.

No official Mac support but all GOG titles are DRM free so if you have a way to run Windows software on your Mac you can just install there too.

Thanks, I can’t see anything about it but do you think they patched it like some of their games?

I remember trying to play online about 5 years ago but it was too unsafe as it require disabling a lot of modern protections.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FRINGE posted:

Basic things like sortable start menu list, folder list view not pre-highlighting, other things that I would need to turn on a 7 vm for and review screenshot.

10 is ok (unlike 8) but there was some stuff in 7 that didnt need to be dumped, even if it was relegated into checkbox hell as preferences.

The start menu, yup, it has real issues.

The control panels being a total mess ever since Windows 8 will never not annoy me.

The frankly ugly look of 10 (although that's a general problem these days with modern applications, they all want their own title bars and theming instead of following the system)..

The obtuse windows update settings.

There's honestly lots more, but it's all just crap that will be repeated again and again. Windows 10 just doesn't feel as polished or professional (we're getting things ready for you? a goddamn emoticon on a bsod? Cortana? come on)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks, I can’t see anything about it but do you think they patched it like some of their games?

I remember trying to play online about 5 years ago but it was too unsafe as it require disabling a lot of modern protections.
I don't know but I'd bet any questions you might have are answered in their forum. It seems to have a lot of relevant stickies. https://www.gog.com/forum/sid_meier_s_alpha_centauri_

One thing I did note is that they apparently used to have it for sale for Mac as well, but it doesn't work with Catalina so they pulled it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I tried setting up a virtual machine on my Windows 10 PC using Hyper-V, unfortunately when I try to start it up it shows first the black screen then, after 10 seconds or so, the white one:

I do have a Windows 10 .iso mounted in the virtual DVD drive. Anyone know what I need to do to get this up and running?

EDIT: nvm, managed to solve it, you actually just have to hit a key really quickly for it to work

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sri.Theo posted:

Their forum can probably illuminate. https://www.gog.com/forum/sid_meier_s_alpha_centauri_#1584614869

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Incessant Excess posted:

I tried setting up a virtual machine on my Windows 10 PC using Hyper-V, unfortunately when I try to start it up it shows first the black screen then, after 10 seconds or so, the white one:

I do have a Windows 10 .iso mounted in the virtual DVD drive. Anyone know what I need to do to get this up and running?

EDIT: nvm, managed to solve it, you actually just have to hit a key really quickly for it to work

Hit a key lollooooo

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Hyper-V comes with an assistant that sets everything up for you, you don't need to manually imstall Win 10 using an ISO.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks both- I’ll post there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Dumb question: long time ago I disabled password check so my pc would login me in automatically after boot up. But I forgot how I did it, and now I'm lending my computer to someone else for work at home. Google results talk about a netplwiz command, but I'm pretty sure I did it with some simple settings tweak.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

Dumb question: long time ago I disabled password check so my pc would login me in automatically after boot up. But I forgot how I did it, and now I'm lending my computer to someone else for work at home. Google results talk about a netplwiz command, but I'm pretty sure I did it with some simple settings tweak.

control userpasswords2

then check "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

Unchecking that to disable password at logon is the old way I've always used

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 22, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HalloKitty posted:

control userpasswords2

then uncheck "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

That's the old way I've always used

Yeah that's still the easiest way to do that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wow.. thanks goons. I missed that somehow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HalloKitty posted:

control userpasswords2

then uncheck "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

That's the old way I've always used

hmm, apparently that's not how i did it because it is checked

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

hmm, apparently that's not how i did it because it is checked

Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, look for DefaultUser and DefaultPassword

(aka the "I'll just put my password in plaintext, that can't possibly have any negative consequences" method)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/WindowsUpdate/status/1242503978400669696

good

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Here's to hoping they'll never reverse the decision. That new explorer looks baaaad.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

We just have to survive april then.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Better pause the following "Tuesday's patch" CU then, this just means no beta testers testing for those of us who already ignore those nonsensical optional updates.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
B and C patches are just single items sent out in between Patch Tuesdays for testing before being stacked into a cumulative release for wide distribution. There have been a grand total of... 5 B/C patches released in the last 5 months. And you wouldn't push B/C out to general populations anyway.
You will continue to beta test MS patches as per the typical.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey, so I have an odd bluetooth question:
I have a Jabra Speak 410 usb speaker phone hooked up to my desktop. I also have an Asus BT-400 bluetooth receiver plugged into the same. It shows up as a BCM20702A0 device

I'd like to connect my iPhone X to my desktop via bluetooth to use the jabra as a speakerphone. I am convinced that this will work and I've done something similar in the past... I've gone to Asus' website and installed their drivers here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBBT400/helpdesk_download/
for Windows 10 x64, but haven't noticed any other app installed to manage connections or anything.

Bluetooth settings in Win10 seem to really suck, they're way too simple. I can't seem to choose what "profile" my desktop will support or broadcast to devices that want to connect.

Any ideas?

Thank you

I'm double posting this here and to the "Windows and Windows software megathread" to get a wider reach. hopefully that isn't too annoying to people. One reply over there mentioned it was an iphone specific problem, and while I can understand that and they might be right, I'm still convinced i had done this in the past by making my desktop advertise itself as a simple bluetooth headset using Bluetooth profiles? Like setting a default one? can I not do that anymore in Windows 10? thanks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I defer "feature" patches, does that prevent me from ever getting new features, or just when they're actually tested and rolled up into "quality" patches? If so, I see no reason to ever download feature patches.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

If I defer "feature" patches, does that prevent me from ever getting new features, or just when they're actually tested and rolled up into "quality" patches? If so, I see no reason to ever download feature patches.

"Feature" updates are the big builds that come out ~twice a year. They used to always be like a new OS install/upgrade, but their last one was more like a service pack instead. You download new feature updates because your old one stops getting security updates after a while:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

namlosh posted:

I'm double posting this here and to the "Windows and Windows software megathread" to get a wider reach. hopefully that isn't too annoying to people. One reply over there mentioned it was an iphone specific problem, and while I can understand that and they might be right, I'm still convinced i had done this in the past by making my desktop advertise itself as a simple bluetooth headset using Bluetooth profiles? Like setting a default one? can I not do that anymore in Windows 10? thanks

There was a discussion about there just being one Windows thread but some people were outraged at the idea. Now Windows 7 is officially out of support there’s even less reason to have two except to make people double post!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

astral posted:

"Feature" updates are the big builds that come out ~twice a year. They used to always be like a new OS install/upgrade, but their last one was more like a service pack instead. You download new feature updates because your old one stops getting security updates after a while:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Thanks, this helps.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sri.Theo posted:

There was a discussion about there just being one Windows thread but some people were outraged at the idea. Now Windows 7 is officially out of support there’s even less reason to have two except to make people double post!

There should be two threads but this one should be specific to Windows 10 itself, and the other should be just "the windows software thread" and be for general windows software (ie "what's an app that does x" / "how do I use y")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Installing windows7....:success:

For the first time in maybe 6 years....