Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do we finish this season
Award the title now
No title at all
Playoff tournament
Finish the season at a later date
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
View Results

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

vyelkin posted:

imo it looks increasingly likely that next season will be cancelled, this season will be played over two years, and then we'll try to get back to normal the season after that. It'll be weird but there's no solution to this situation that isn't weird. That seems to be the only possible solution that doesn't gently caress up something major right now, and the thing it does gently caress up (next season) hasn't started yet and hasn't happened yet so it's really the lowest priority.

Anyone saying we should call the season now or void the season now so that it doesn't affect next season is assuming that Covid-19 will be over by August and we can just go back to football as normal then, which at the moment looks, uh, let's say extremely optimistic.

Yeah this has pretty much been my position on this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's too bad the UK didn't go through with their Mitigation strategy. They would've gotten over the Coronavirus sooner and could've hosted matches for leagues in other countries and made a nice chunk of change.

Also would've meant a lot of long time season ticket holders being replaced with younger fans that would be louder and help improve the atmosphere.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

Ok "void it all but give Liverpool the title" because it might be a bit complicated otherwise is a hell of a take wicka.

That's not my take, man. It's so frustrating discussing anything at all with you guys because you're so desperate to scream and shout at me that you instantly leap to whataboutism and "so what you're saying is???" crap. I don't think voiding the season is the right choice. All I am saying is that if voiding the season or ending it as it stands does become necessary, it makes sense to award Liverpool the title, and doing so doesn't have to impact any of the other decisions you make regarding other league standings.

Bundy posted:

Yes I reduced the argument and I am aware you didn't say void anything, but I don't see the alternative while upholding your "but they have so many points" argument.

...what??

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sigh.

I'm getting frustrated with you because the premise of what you're suggesting all revolves around how Liverpool are so close to being mathematically done. Which is an immediate arbitrary line, one you can't draw in a complete vacuum outside of any other context at all, for gently caress sake.

e: "whataboutism" ffs :ughh:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

your friend wicka posted:

That's not my take, man. It's so frustrating discussing anything at all with you guys because you're so desperate to scream and shout at me that you instantly leap to whataboutism and "so what you're saying is???" crap. I don't think voiding the season is the right choice. All I am saying is that if voiding the season or ending it as it stands does become necessary, it makes sense to award Liverpool the title, and doing so doesn't have to impact any of the other decisions you make regarding other league standings.

...what??

This is a bad take my dude, just let it go.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
It will never happen, but there was an article in The Athletic yesterday exploring the idea of just switching to a Summer league, at least for a couple of seasons. It would allow time (hopefully) to finish out this season and protect the next one while allowing for a Winter World Cup in 2022 with minimal disruption. There are probably too many moving parts to do this, but it's an interesting idea.

As for this season, for me it's not over until everyone plays everyone else home and away. Even if Liverpool were mathematically champions, I would think the same. We've waited long enough for a title, this would feel hollow.

Interestingly (or not), if the league does resume and extends beyond May, Liverpool would be wearing Nike kits.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

vyelkin posted:

imo it looks increasingly likely that next season will be cancelled, this season will be played over two years, and then we'll try to get back to normal the season after that. It'll be weird but there's no solution to this situation that isn't weird. That seems to be the only possible solution that doesn't gently caress up something major right now, and the thing it does gently caress up (next season) hasn't started yet and hasn't happened yet so it's really the lowest priority.

The problem with that is Europe. Let's assume the situation on the mainland gets better in a reasonable time, and the Euro cups can start in, say, September.

Who participates from the UK?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is there any indication of the English leagues reaching a real decision on this issue before April?

As said before, I think "the least bad" way to handle this issue is to try to play out all the remaining games at a safe time so there's some semblance of the league pyramid system working equitably and as intended. Like CyberPingu said, it looks like next season is going to be set back quite a lot too, so voiding this current season would not solve much of anything.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's too bad the UK didn't go through with their Mitigation strategy. They would've gotten over the Coronavirus sooner and could've hosted matches for leagues in other countries and made a nice chunk of change.

Also would've meant a lot of long time season ticket holders being replaced with younger fans that would be louder and help improve the atmosphere.

Don't worry. Emperor Leto's Golden Path will eventually pan out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mickolution posted:

It will never happen, but there was an article in The Athletic yesterday exploring the idea of just switching to a Summer league, at least for a couple of seasons. It would allow time (hopefully) to finish out this season and protect the next one while allowing for a Winter World Cup in 2022 with minimal disruption. There are probably too many moving parts to do this, but it's an interesting idea.

Do you remember who wrote this? They mentioned it on the Arsecast but I couldn't find the full article.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Der Shovel posted:

The problem with that is Europe. Let's assume the situation on the mainland gets better in a reasonable time, and the Euro cups can start in, say, September.

England might not be the only one stretching things out over two years, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/16/italy-considers-splitting-2019-20-serie-a-campaign-over-two-seasons

Everything is such a mess.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

your friend wicka posted:

Do you remember who wrote this? They mentioned it on the Arsecast but I couldn't find the full article.

Here you go:
https://theathletic.com/1671012/2020/03/16/hughes-brady-coronavirus-westham-liverpool/?source=dailyemail

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

CORONAting a champion: Voiding the league to own the Livs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

It was Italy that proposed this solution in the first place. And you're forgetting that current European competitions still aren't over. We don't have a Champions League or Europa League champion the same way we don't have a Premier League or Serie A champion, and that matters for, among other things, European qualification for next season (e.g. if the European competitions somehow started up in September, who would qualify as the Europa League champion?).

I think it's increasingly likely that all European leagues and all European football will end up settling on the two-year season as a compromise that lets everything continue to sync up with everything else, which will let national leagues and cups finish and will give time to complete current European competitions, meaning everybody gets to actually settle promotion, relegation, champions, European qualification, and so on, in the way they would normally be done through winning leagues and cups (both domestic and European), through final league positions, etc. Maybe not every country will agree on this and one country will host an extra league season or something if they recover faster than the others, but I think overall this is likely to be the consensus across the continent.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Imo voiding this season isn't about protecting the start of next season at all, it would be recognizing that it's weird to stop play in early March, resume again in 6, 7, or more months, and pretend there's normal continuity there. If the virus doesn't subside for a full year, should they pick right back up and say they're finishing up the season? A delay of a few weeks or a month or two and I say absolutely finish the season, a delay of a year or more and I'd say it's absurd not to start a new season and void this one. 7 or 8 months, if it comes to that, feels more like the latter than the former to me.

edit: not saying it's the easiest or logical solution, but that's the main appeal of voiding that I can see, not because I care that a new season not be disrupted

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brony Car posted:

Everything is such a mess.

It is. It's so loving surreal, and not just in football. Here in Finland everything is shut down and the government is trying to quarantine everyone over 70 (and many of those over 70s are going "it's just the flu, I'm healthy, I don't need a quarantine!").

Nobody really knows what's going to happen, because this is a completely new situation for everyone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

vyelkin posted:

I think it's increasingly likely that all European leagues and all European football will end up settling on the two-year season

That would be so loving bizarre. It's not like the coronavirus hit halfway through the season, most leagues just have a handful of games left to play. It's going to be so weird if the next year's football consists of 9-15 games (depending on how many competitions you're still in).

I can't help but think of clubs' finances when they have to try to pay a year's operating costs with a fraction of their normal income. Of course that will be a problem regardless, unless things magically work out in a way that allows for a full season of football (they won't).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

That would be so loving bizarre. It's not like the coronavirus hit halfway through the season, most leagues just have a handful of games left to play. It's going to be so weird if the next year's football consists of 9-15 games (depending on how many competitions you're still in).

I can't help but think of clubs' finances when they have to try to pay a year's operating costs with a fraction of their normal income. Of course that will be a problem regardless, unless things magically work out in a way that allows for a full season of football (they won't).

Yeah no poo poo man, this whole situation is so loving bizarre. There's no solution that isn't weird.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sourdough posted:

Imo voiding this season isn't about protecting the start of next season at all, it would be recognizing that it's weird to stop play in early March, resume again in 6, 7, or more months, and pretend there's normal continuity there. If the virus doesn't subside for a full year, should they pick right back up and say they're finishing up the season? A delay of a few weeks or a month or two and I say absolutely finish the season, a delay of a year or more and I'd say it's absurd not to start a new season and void this one. 7 or 8 months, if it comes to that, feels more like the latter than the former to me.

edit: not saying it's the easiest or logical solution, but that's the main appeal of voiding that I can see, not because I care that a new season not be disrupted

Isn't voiding a season that is more than halfway through also weird? Everything is weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6XjO_fhrI

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Isn't voiding a season that is more than halfway through also weird? Everything is weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6XjO_fhrI

No, because if you void it, you do it because the season wasn’t completed.

The PL should adopt an apertura/clasura model after this.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I doubt April 3rd was conceived of in a vacuum, I'm wondering if they're going to try and finish out with closed door matches ASAP

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bundy posted:

I doubt April 3rd was conceived of in a vacuum, I'm wondering if they're going to try and finish out with closed door matches ASAP

i've no faith at all in the pl and i fully believe they expected to be able to resume in 3 weeks. it's part of the reason i'm being a prick about voiding the league because anyone who isn't a fool can see this isn't blowing over any time soon. i'd have put an indefinite pause on the league with a specific notice to clubs that they can safely stand down and chill out for at least 3 months (so not indefinite but you know), and be sure to update that well in advance of getting close to the date

the 3 week delay was such a shite idea because it's such an awkward amount of time, not enough to relax, not enough to get clear

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

An indefinite suspension would have been a much better idea, I really hope they dont try just get it pushed through in 3 weeks from now.

Theres no way thats going to be safe.

Although its not their choice though i guess, the clubs can all just say "gently caress you were in quarantine/all our players are self isolating due to showing symptoms"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Off the record "everyone self isolate for these two weeks maybe we can finish behind closed doors, gently caress the fans"

Is something I can totally see the Premier League execs being up for and sadly, most club owners (including mine).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bundy posted:

Off the record "everyone self isolate for these two weeks maybe we can finish behind closed doors, gently caress the fans"

Is something I can totally see the Premier League execs being up for and sadly, most club owners (including mine).

That's what is happening in the A-League, everyone self isolates for 2 weeks and then the rest of the season gets played out behind closed doors on a compressed schedule to finish the league by the same date

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's what is happening in the A-League, everyone self isolates for 2 weeks and then the rest of the season gets played out behind closed doors on a compressed schedule to finish the league by the same date

Yeah. Hate to come over overly cynical but whatever loses the least money overall will be the solution that's accepted I reckon and the big money is sponsors and TV.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

That'll be fun when half the players in the league get symptomatic a week or two into the compressed schedule 😑

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sourdough posted:

That'll be fun when half the players in the league get symptomatic a week or two into the compressed schedule 😑

A common take is that footballers tend to catch everything going so I wouldn't be surprised if it rips through most teams within a month.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sourdough posted:

Yeah and the inevitable lawsuit when someone suffers lung damage and is unable to continue as a player. Madness to keep playing.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
expose every player to the virus. as young and healthy lads they'll be fine (we hope) and with their new immunity (maybe), we can get back to things in 14 days!!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kcer posted:

expose every player to the virus. as young and healthy lads they'll be fine (we hope) and with their new immunity (maybe), we can get back to things in 14 days!!

Agreed. If we put them all on an aircraft carrier and play on the deck we can probably crank out 8 games a day and wrap this season quick.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That's, uh, optimistic

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/1239973175221338118

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
doing a sexism to help the liv.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

kcer posted:

Some 21 year old Spanish coach just died from coronavirus because he had an undiagnosed form of leukemia

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

brocked posted:

Some 21 year old Spanish coach just died from coronavirus because he had an undiagnosed form of leukemia

He died of leukemia after his immune system was further compromised by coronavirus.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Yes, it was more of a response to the "these guys are fit" idea, because nobody truly knows how fit they are

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
i hope you don't think i was serious

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
UEFA is banning the use of newly created playoffs/outs to decide league champions or relegation spots.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

UEFA is banning the use of newly created playoffs/outs to decide league champions or relegation spots.

Ah, it's now obvious that this was the best solution then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The PL wants to get the season done by June 30

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/18/premier-league-expected-to-push-for-30-june-season-finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lmao