Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, oMage's, anyway.

One Mage game didn't need rehab.

M20 actually came out before Awakening 2e, so, not strictly true.

Admittedly Awakening didn't need nearly as much rehabilitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Five Eyes posted:

M20 is absolutely total garbage but even then I'd be hard-pressed to rank it among Brucato's top 5 offenses.

Someone suffered through Changing Breeds for F+Friends, I think? That's a good place to start.

Yeah that was me, and I had just about managed to put that out of my mind.

Welp now I'm thinking about Deerhoof Antlerman's gigantic package again, thanks for that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, Awakening 2e fluffwise is more about a refocusing of the themes and an integration of some supplements (like the Order books). The 2e magic rules are the bigger positive changes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Slimnoid posted:

Remind me again what Phil did? I know he's kind of uh, "special" when it comes to writing.

Brucato in general is just a super gross individual. His dumb little music-based RPG had a F & Friends going but the writer dropped it when it was clear too much of Phil gonna Phil was bleeding through and it became less about mocking Brucato for thinking a lot of very super mainstream bands were bleeding edge and just went straight up skeeve.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Five Eyes posted:

M20 is absolutely total garbage but even then I'd be hard-pressed to rank it among Brucato's top 5 offenses.

Does he have an entire litany that's legitimately terrible and not just predictably bad with his usual quirks? Changing Breeds and Powerchords, yeah, and odds are there's at least one oWoD tribebook or something he helped ruin, but that'd make three or so. Does his spectacularly bad lineup hit five?

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
My immediate gut-feeling list has Bastet and 1e Black Furies on it, and that's four before touching anything from Ascension. Hell, it's like four in the category of "weird sex notions" before we reach the rich veins of "also kind of lovely about christianity" and "miscellaneous political opinions."

Changing Breeds has the distinction(?) of possibly being the worst book in the nWoD. M20 is "merely" the worst anniversary edition.

Five Eyes fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 19, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Worst books in the nWod:

1) Beast: the Primordial
2) Changing Breeds
3) Mummy: the Curse (1e)
4) Book of the Deceived
5) ????

But really, 3 and 4 aren't nearly as bad as 1 and 2, and it's hard to think of a 5 that's not significantly less bad than 4.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So for my Deviant + Mortals game, I decided to make Mortals also have 10 dots to use at character creation and then also have Professional Training 3 to reflect some special training in given areas to help them keep pace with the Deviants. (they cannot raise it any further)

Thoughts? I mean, they'll be highly skilled and rolling more dice for mundane tasks than Deviants will, but they also, you know, can't melt into pools of meat and slide under doors, or stab people in the neck with razor hands, or generate multiple tangible copies of themself and punch people int eh face in a flash mob... seems fair.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That's a good idea, XP to spend on non-supernatural merits is good too, but I like your approach.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Rand Brittain posted:

Worst books in the nWod:

1) Beast: the Primordial
2) Changing Breeds
3) Mummy: the Curse (1e)
4) Book of the Deceived
5) ????

But really, 3 and 4 aren't nearly as bad as 1 and 2, and it's hard to think of a 5 that's not significantly less bad than 4.

What did you hate so much about Book of the Deceived? I felt it was Sheppard at the top of his game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

dingo with a joint posted:

What did you hate so much about Book of the Deceived? I felt it was Sheppard at the top of his game.

It had some interesting stuff, and I usually like Sheppard's work, but so much of it was word salad.

quote:

"The great philosopher lord of the Shan’iatu is perhaps the most desperate and confusing of the shattered masters. Offended by the mystical, religious, and the vague, the Thousand Eyes in One seeks the raw meaning of all realities and does so with the intent of individuating the soul to the point where it becomes that very meaning. In this, he fails to see the mark of his own hand and calls Truth what are actually the trapped shards of the void that he has suffocated with definition, matrices of logic, and metaphysical exposition. He is ruthless with method, as all things divided can be further divided; an infinite regress which lays the blueprint for the deepest and most vicious of inner and outer insurrections. It is not enough that the Deceived who share his spirit go mad from unending deconstruction, but that they perpetuate his method and teachings, infecting all thought with his compulsions so that obedience to the mandates of others become unutterable offenses against the highest self."

It also really bugs me because:

1) The introduction goes on at length about how super loving dark and edgy the book is going to be (the book is not that dark).
2) Basically every detail about the Deceived is about 10% away from how it works from the Arisen, and it's all fiddly enough to make it hard to remember but doesn't really add much.
3) The answer to "how have the Deceived stayed hidden for thousands of years" turns out to be "they all get a power that makes them completely impossible to find, ever."
4) The book goes on at ridiculous, endless length about the various temakh's personalities and their agendas and so forth but they can't talk. Their relationship with the maddened slave they're permanently attached to is supposed to be this huge deal but they can't talk.

I couldn't escape the feeling that they were desperately creating new Secret Lore for the setting because everybody figured out the Big Twist (the Judges are the Shan'iatu in funny hats) five minutes into the corebook.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So we've hashed out which nMage orders are Actually Correct and which oMage factions are Actually Correct Depending On Which Book You're Currently Reading, but have we had lovely mage-politics chat for the archmage ententes?

Let's poo poo this thread up!

Alienated - licking ancient, eldritch boots doesn't make you less of a bootlicker
Aswadim - I actually gently caress with the Aswadim, they're not so bad. Want the right sort of thing - power to the people - it's just their version of power is power over form and logic and meaning. Still, their hearts are in the right place. Might come a time where it's our Ascension or theirs but until then I say we let the black and red alliance stand.
Bodhisattvas - Their heart's in the right place but they're like people manning soup kitchens instead of demanding political action to end poverty. Plus some of them think a Seer awakening is a victory? Kinda the left-liberals of the setting.
Exemplars - Kinda depends on the order. Guardians and Mystagogue can gently caress right off. More Arrows are probably itching for a fight than fighting for a good cause. Libertines are probably good folks. Silver Ladders are vanguardists and could be extremely useful, but should also be monitored at all times for reactionary tendencies.
Siddhas - Kinda the libertarian "gently caress you, got mine" scum of the archmages. Sure there could be say, a Death Siddha who dedicates their Ascension to fixing the underworld but I feel like most would rather puzzle out pointless secrets and ascribe their names on the Arcana themselves than actually do anything to make the world a better place.
Tetrarchs - though the power of gnosis both boot and bootlicker!

come at me with your Objectivly Incorrect Takes

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 19, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The boddhisatvas are basically the Awakening incarnation of the people in Ascension who said fighting the Technocracy was meaningless and you should work on global Ascension instead.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Digital Osmosis posted:

Aswadim - I actually gently caress with the Aswadim, they're not so bad. Want the right sort of thing - power to the people - it's just their version of power is power over form and logic and meaning. Still, their hearts are in the right place. Might come a time where it's our Ascension or theirs but until then I say we let the black and red alliance stand.

come at me with your Objectivly Incorrect Takes

Definitionally, when you gently caress with the Aswadim, your takes are Objectively Incorrect. They embrace Objectively Incorrect, they become it, and frankly, they should be shunted into it so they don't bring the rest of us down with them. Just because they don't like meeting agendas doesn't make them your friends.

Libertines are the anarchists and the Diamond are the reds; Aswadim are academics who get super into horrible ideologies after they get tenure, and we can't get rid of them because Tenure, so we have to play nice. The example Aswadim who wants to replace the entire Shadow with a horrifying parasiteverse, and also replace all nature to make that possible, is on the near end of acceptable Aswadim-ness. And he still wants to hijack literally the entire ecosystem and spiritual reality despite what anybody else says in order to get rid of Spirits.

Anyone who goes 'oh all the torture poo poo that the Scelesti do, that's just because they're the crude version of my sophisticated ideology' is not just telling on themselves, they're waving a great big flag about why they're about as politically acceptable as Steve Bannon's "I'm a Leninist, but for nation instead of class." Just Say No! To The Void Of Unreason.

E: Nick Land is the closest IRL analogue of an Aswadim.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 19, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cult of Ecstasy is the best cult

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: Nick Land is the closest IRL analogue of an Aswadim.

Mage is the Nick Land game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
who's the Frantz Fanon of Mage

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Five Eyes posted:

My immediate gut-feeling list has Bastet and 1e Black Furies on it, and that's four before touching anything from Ascension. Hell, it's like four in the category of "weird sex notions" before we reach the rich veins of "also kind of lovely about christianity" and "miscellaneous political opinions."

Changing Breeds has the distinction(?) of possibly being the worst book in the nWoD. M20 is "merely" the worst anniversary edition.

I think that Brucato either A) Had a very profoundly strict Christian upbringing, so he never really learned anything about sex or "Devil Music" as a result, thus when he became an adult he immersed himself in them without actually being taught boundaries. or B) Had the exact opposite of that, was exposed to sex at a very young age by free love parents and thus never actually learned boundaries.

Changing Breeds has a lot of really really really weird bestiality/incest/prima nocte poo poo in it, and also a long detailed paragraph about "Things conservative parents do to beat the devil beast spirit out of their child" that comes from either a place of profound fear or a place of experience.

Powerchords talks about really mundane bands as if they were literally frontmanned by god himself with the Metatron doing vocals. And has that one sexualized barefoot teenager who's super in tune with the secret music of reality that's shown up elsewhere in his work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even his character creation example in M20 is about a teenager who was kicked out of her house for having a threesome and finding it awesome to live on the streets.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Even his character creation example in M20 is about a teenager who was kicked out of her house for having a threesome and finding it awesome to live on the streets.

Is her name Meghan?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tulip posted:

Mage is the Nick Land game.

Nick Land is in the general genre of Awakening’s influences, but I contend that his amphetamine-driven philosophy and his turn to elaborately articulated weird fascism are a cromulent framework for thinking about what a successful Scelestus might look like in terms of ideology and trajectory.

The Abyss is very bad actually.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

who's the Frantz Fanon of Mage

Werewolf.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Nick Land is in the general genre of Awakening’s influences, but I contend that his amphetamine-driven philosophy and his turn to elaborately articulated weird fascism are a cromulent framework for thinking about what a successful Scelestus might look like in terms of ideology and trajectory.

The Abyss is very bad actually.

Yeah gently caress Land. Though having mages who write like his pre-fash stuff would be funny. How could you not want to kill someone who writes “A zIIgōthIc-==X=cōDA==-(CōōkIng-lōbsteRs-wIth-jAke-AnD-DInōs)”

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

He really missed his calling writing Zodiac killer letters to a cabal of sorcerers chasing him down while he tries to summon an Annunaki.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Is her name Meghan?

No, it's Jinx. Here's her description:

quote:

A tough-eyed mix of German and Choctaw heritage, Jinx is 16 years old with rough-chopped chin-length hair dyed (badly) in blue and purple streaks. Smeary dark mascara and an array of fierce facial piercings accentuate her face. Overlarge ragged death-metal T-shirts conceal her solid athletic build. A former gymnast, Jinx keeps in shape with rigorous exercise, skateboarding, and an especially risky form of parkour. Hoodies, torn leggings, and a beat-up Utilikilt compliment her battered Doc Martins and a thrift-shop biker jacket decorated with whatever Jinx can stab through or draw on its shell. Lean and pixie-grinned, she’s about 5’ 7” but comes across as shorter than she really is. Fingerless gloves cover her punch-roughened knuckles. Jinx looks like trouble, smells like a street-kid, and manages to make that all look good.

Surprised she wears shoes. Also Utilikilt.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My brain refuses to square the circle of 'tiny teenager with a lovely dye job, bad makeup, tons of spiky piercings, a ratty t-shirt, a moldy leather jacket and weeks of not bathing is curiously attractive and looks good, says Brucato.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

My brain refuses to square the circle of 'tiny teenager with a lovely dye job, bad makeup, tons of spiky piercings, a ratty t-shirt, a moldy leather jacket and weeks of not bathing is curiously attractive and looks good, says Brucato.'

Also is super fit because of urban homeless Crossfit and parkour.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

No, it's Jinx. Here's her description.

I'm trying to scream but no sound is coming out.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, there's a number of answers to that question, but from my perspective the #1 thing Mage Twentieth Anniversary needed was to rehabilitate the Traditions, who are already so unpopular that lots of people would rather pretend the fascists are the good guys than accept them as protagonists.

Brucato decided to blackwash them and whitewash the Technocracy instead, and decide that the whole concept of global Ascension was nonsense.

This isn't solely on Brucato, though.

The first edition always presented the Traditions as the good guys and the Technocracy as 1984 cosplayers. This brought some problems – the image of heroic faith healers, crackpots and magicians opposing evil scientists who created a shadow world government didn't age well for obvious reasons. Revised tried to change this by making the Traditions murkier, splitting Technocracy into the soulless Control and actually well-meaning field agents and deciding that the Ascension War was a mistake that only strengthened the Nephandi – but this didn't really change anything, because the main problem with M:tAs is that all the factions are nineties as gently caress.

What Brucato actually did in M:tAs20 was deciding that the Ascension War was NOT a mistake, but the real heroes are neither the Traditions, nor the Technocracy, but a newly created faction that's pretty much "the Traditions, but more noble".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Maybe Brucato is thinking of like, the movie version of this, rather than what it'd actually look like?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Mors Rattus posted:

I imagine Brucato as a 40 or 50 something guy who still thinks wearing his 90s Rage Against the Machine shirt is going to suddenly spark the revolution of the proletariat. And still lurks around college coffee shops creeping on the punkier looking ladies.

Why yes, there are people from my college days who remind me uncomfortably of Brucato.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

Werewolf.

You know, that raises an interesting question. Given Werewolves' origins, they should theoretically be capable of Supernal magic, if not necessarily through the same channels as a human being.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Thanks for the M20 link guys! Time to check out this weird heh i already won via majicks, foolish ST game everyone is always writing insane screeds about

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, that raises an interesting question. Given Werewolves' origins, they should theoretically be capable of Supernal magic, if not necessarily through the same channels as a human being.

This is a long step towards "everyone should just be using Supernal magic because everything comes from the Supernal."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Fanon's applicability to Mage is kind of weird but extremely broad if you look at it the right way. Is the entire Fallen World effectively a settler colony? It's not like the Exarchs themselves are here, but then the queen of England didn't personally winter in Algeria either. And it's certainly true that there's a necessity for massive and violent insurrection, that "native intellectuals" (fallen world mages) must needs go on personal journeys in which they dig deep into the mythic past but ultimately learn that the collective narrative they need is one forged through common struggle, etc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Desiden posted:

I imagine Brucato as a 40 or 50 something guy who still thinks wearing his 90s Rage Against the Machine shirt is going to suddenly spark the revolution of the proletariat. And still lurks around college coffee shops creeping on the punkier looking ladies.

Admin edit: don't post people's personal info, dipshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Fanon's applicability to Mage is kind of weird but extremely broad if you look at it the right way. Is the entire Fallen World effectively a settler colony? It's not like the Exarchs themselves are here, but then the queen of England didn't personally winter in Algeria either. And it's certainly true that there's a necessity for massive and violent insurrection, that "native intellectuals" (fallen world mages) must needs go on personal journeys in which they dig deep into the mythic past but ultimately learn that the collective narrative they need is one forged through common struggle, etc.

"The ruling species is first and foremost the outsiders from elsewhere, different from the indigenous populations, 'the others.'"

You're probably already familiar with the etymological origins of "Exarch." :v:

Bonus:

"In scaring me, the atmosphere of myths and magic operates like an undeniable reality. In terrifying me, it incorporates me into the traditions and history of my land and ethnic group, but at the same time I am reassured and granted a civil status, an identification. The secret sphere in underdeveloped countries is a collective sphere that falls exclusively within the realm of magic. By entangling me in this inextricable web where gestures are repeated with a secular limpidity, my very own world, our very own world, thus perpetuates itself.

Zombies, believe me, are more terrifying than colonists."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

This is a long step towards "everyone should just be using Supernal magic because everything comes from the Supernal."

Not... exactly? "Should" is doing a lot of work here; the fact that they can't, combined with what we know about the origins of Werewolves, suggests something about how the Fallen World incorporates things from the Supernal.

Or put another way, Werewolves are like an alchemical by-product of how the Lie degrades Pangaeans.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not... exactly? "Should" is doing a lot of work here; the fact that they can't, combined with what we know about the origins of Werewolves, suggests something about how the Fallen World incorporates things from the Supernal.

Or put another way, Werewolves are like an alchemical by-product of how the Lie degrades Pangaeans.

Sorry I thought you meant it the other way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desiden posted:

Why yes, there are people from my college days who remind me uncomfortably of Brucato.

When Powerchords was funny and not terrible, it talked about the deep reverence Brucato had for radio stations that dared to play stuff like Bruce Springsteen or Prince in the 70s and 80s. Can you imagine!

The aborted F&F on said book speculates that Brucato mostly uses neo-paganism to be horny on main 24/7. It featured the vaguely unsettling dedication to "my Beloved Feral Sweeteheart; her husband; their son; and all their Beloved Trybe." Imagine wanting Brucato around your kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Changing Breeds is also horny on main throughout most of the book, when it isn't demanding that you strip naked and poo poo in the corner and/or smacking you with a harmony sin for stripping naked and making GBS threads in the corner.