Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kvlt! posted:

I appreciate that but for me I dont really want the "piss-my-pants" moments in my slashers to be SUBTLE I want them to be the OPPOSITE. I mean maybe it's just because I like my slashers gory and over the top but to me even as a kid Halloween was boring. Listening to the soundtrack is a better time than watching the movie imo.

The best slasher moments are full of sublety, you donk. Annie realizing the inside of the car is fogged up is more effective than the kill itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe you left Pumpkinhead out of these proceedings.

Same, but Sleepaway Camp.

Maniac Cop, The Hills Have Eyes, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Gingerdead Man. If Critters is in, Ghoulies? Charles Band could probably fill out the D-tier on his own.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tart Kitty posted:

The best slasher moments are full of sublety, you donk. Annie realizing the inside of the car is fogged up is more effective than the kill itself.

I disagree. The best slasher moments end in a geyser of gore.

I wish Hatchet was better than it was because that movie has some A+ kills. The head ripped apart is so great

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree. The best slasher moments end in a geyser of gore.

I wish Hatchet was better than it was because that movie has some A+ kills. The head ripped apart is so great

Couldn't agree more with everything written here <3

I like the Hatchet movies they're cheesy as hell but they have heart

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve only seen 1, but I just didnt think it was very funny. I like Adam Green as a person but his comedy just does not work for me at all.

Frozen and Marrow were great though

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Mix of serious and poo poo-tier franchise suggestions:

Psycho
Violent poo poo
Ju-On
Tomie
Xtro
Creepshow
Witchcraft
Cube
Wishmaster
Evil Dead
Warlock
Final Destination
V/H/S
Ghoulies
Troll (part 3 is also known as The Crawlers)
House (1 through 4)
The Stepfather
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Species
Jaws
Leprechaun
Slumber Party Massacre
The Omen
Poltergeist
The Doll (Indonesian)
Robert the Doll
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Tremors
Gingerdead Man
David DeCoteau's 1313 series

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My Twitter Account posted:

Or, if you prefer your gang tags animated:

I was going to do one but I feel like this one already won.

It's just amazing on every level

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

87 franchises nominated by my tabulation.

I suggest this schedule
March: Leave nomination block open.
April: Take the final nomination pool, set the number of automatic seeds, determine who they are by ballot or small council, have everyone else "play in".
May/June: Showcase one bracket of 4 match ups/8 franchises each Monday and encourage people to check them out and hype up the Tourney.
July: Do the tourney 2 months after the April Midway Challenge and 2 months before the October Halloween Challenge giving us yet another excuse to binge on horror together.
January: Small Council "Essentials" or something so we just od every 3 months.

I'm happy to get involved and help any way I can. Given that I'm unemployed for the immediate future I have the time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 19, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

My Twitter Account posted:

Or, if you prefer your gang tags animated:

Would it be a hassle for you to do a ‘krew’ version of this one?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

87 franchises nominated by my tabulation.

I suggest this schedule
March: Leave nomination block open.
April: Take the final nomination pool, set the number of automatic seeds, determine who they are by ballot or small council, have everyone else "play in".
May/June: Showcase one bracket of 4 match ups/8 franchises each Monday and encourage people to check them out and hype up the Tourney.
July: Do the tourney 2 months after the April Midway Challenge and 2 months before the October Halloween Challenge giving us yet another excuse to binge on horror together.
January: Small Council "Essentials" or something so we just od every 3 months.

I'm happy to get involved and help any way I can. Given that I'm unemployed for the immediate future I have the time.
Samesies.

From my experience running pop culture brackets, it's best to have 65 entrants (with a one-off "play-in" for the final, 64th spot) and do one leg of the tourney (64->32->16->Final 4->Championship). This way you aren't talking about the same series over and over and over and you keep coming back to them rather than just look at them once and forget them.

You also can assign different qualifiers to each round, so in a particular round, movies are only judged on: kill quality, music, lore, etc to keep it from just being an all-rounder tourney that ends up with the usual suspects at 1-4.

STAC once you've got a firm 65 lmk and I can do something special

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ill buy one if it says Crüe

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

Samesies.

From my experience running pop culture brackets, it's best to have 65 entrants (with a one-off "play-in" for the final, 64th spot) and do one leg of the tourney (64->32->16->Final 4->Championship). This way you aren't talking about the same series over and over and over and you keep coming back to them rather than just look at them once and forget them.
Agreed in principle, but I figure it could work to do like 50 "automatic bids" and then leave the last 14 spots open to all the other "bubble" guys in tossed together polls. That would get all of the obvious guys in, a few "really?" inclusions, a couple of big ones would be bubble teams forced to fight in, and like if someone really wanted to argue for Hatchet or Gingerdead Man they could go for it. >50% of those "bubble" teams wouldn't make the 64 and most of the rest would probably fall 1st rd. That feels like a proper bracket thematically.

Plus like... I think in this case time is a good thing because it gives people time to watch movies. In general pop culture bracket stuff you're dealing with known quantities. But I think this is more fun if its another excuse to check out stuff you've never heard of or never gotten around to or want to revisit.

But like if people think it would be easier to just cut it down, so be it. Like I said, I don't know how to do polls anyway.

quote:

You also can assign different qualifiers to each round, so in a particular round, movies are only judged on: kill quality, music, lore, etc to keep it from just being an all-rounder tourney that ends up with the usual suspects at 1-4.
Eh, I'm not sure I agree but even if I did I think its a fool's errand to set rules about how to vote. People are gonna vote how they're gonna vote. Like at some point I'll make a case that everyone loves Jason but his films are inferior to his competitors and I'll lose that fight because people just like Jason and by extension enjoy his films. These things are a gut call.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It looks like Discord has temporarily upped their in app streaming from 10 to 50 since people are stuck inside. To stream out in good quality you need Nitro so I'm gonna tinker with that a little and see if it might be suitable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jedit posted:

Let's face it, nearly all horror franchises are poo poo because franchises are inherently uncreative. The most consistently good ones are Evil Dead and Romero's Dead sequence, and even they drop off hard after the opening trilogy. The only horror franchise that has more than three genuinely good movies is Alien, and even that's debatable depending on what you make of Alien 3.

The most consistently-good horror franchise is Blair Witch, with a total of six (or seven*) movies - each stylistically unique, and all excellent.

Paranormal Activity is second place, with eight entries ranging in quality from decent to fantastic.

Alien is eight films, and only one mildly ‘bad’ entry. (Even AVP 1 has some schlock merit.) There are also, like, a dozen solid short films.

*this depends on how you classify Sticks And Stones, which is an alternate cut of Curse Of The Blair Witch.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The best horror franchise is actually Bad Ben.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of Blair Witch, I was pleasantly surprised giving a second look to Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. It still wasn't great but it was a lot more watchable than I remembered it being.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Omen is bad. The remake isn't great either but at least it's entertaining.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sono posted:

Same, but Sleepaway Camp.

Maniac Cop, The Hills Have Eyes, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Gingerdead Man. If Critters is in, Ghoulies? Charles Band could probably fill out the D-tier on his own.

Yeah I demand both Critters and Ghoulies. Love those little guys.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Paranormal Activity is second place, with eight entries ranging in quality from decent to fantastic.

i really loved watching all the Paranormal Activity movies in a marathon right after one another. its just a fun and silly dump of films

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zombies of Mora Tau (1957)

Two (2) years before The Twilight Zone TV show

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of Blair Witch, I was pleasantly surprised giving a second look to Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. It still wasn't great but it was a lot more watchable than I remembered it being.
Read the shooting script if you haven't already, it's on the internet somewhere. They intended to make a much better movie than what we actually got.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

ill buy one if it says Crüe

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

The made-for-TV part IV is better than the remake, but part II is strong enough to carry the whole series.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Couldn’t the Witchcraft series support its own bracket by now?

Fake edit: 16 movies in total, so it does! Damned if anyone is going to watch them all to rank them, though.
From best to worst:
Witchcraft II: The Temptress
Witchcraft
Witchcraft VIII: Salem's Ghost
Witchcraft III: The Kiss of Death
Witchcraft 666: The Devil's Mistress
Witchcraft V: Dance with the Devil
Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart
Witchcraft XVI: Hollywood Coven
Witchcraft XIV: Angel of Death
Witchcraft XV: Blood Rose
Witchcraft XII: In the Lair of the Serpent
Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen
Witchcraft X: Mistress of the Craft
Witchcraft VII: Judgement Hour
Witchcraft XI: Sisters in Blood
Witchcraft IX: Bitter Flesh

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 19, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hey Kvlt!, go watch The Golden Glove (Der Goldene Handschuh), it's greasy and grimy and made me feel like poo poo

and it's a true story!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
TIL there a more sequels to Blair Witch

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Someone posted a review of Bliss that said "Like a grimier and gorier low budget Gaspar Noé film." and I never realized I had an exact aesthetic before, but that's it.

Now I gotta watch Bliss

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Hey Kvlt!, go watch The Golden Glove (Der Goldene Handschuh), it's greasy and grimy and made me feel like poo poo

and it's a true story!

gonna watch this tn <3

COOL CORN posted:

Someone posted a review of Bliss that said "Like a grimier and gorier low budget Gaspar Noé film." and I never realized I had an exact aesthetic before, but that's it.

Now I gotta watch Bliss

I wish Bliss was like this but thats vastly overhyping it tbh

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

gonna watch this tn <3

:unsmith:

Kvlt! posted:

:smith:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Bliss is a gory, neon flashing sign of a movie. It's more of a rollercoaster ride than the traditional narrative, sort of like Mandy or a Safdie brothers film.

It also compliments my personal belief that one must enter a gnostic state in order to effectively create art. Whether through hypnosis, mania, drugs, exhaustion, or any other altered state- the artist tries to achieve "no mind" and is then able to focus the mind entirely on creation.

In the end, just as Chopin became his music Dezzy becomes her painting.

Sometimes, to finish painting a picture you need to kill a whole lot of people.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

Now I gotta watch Bliss

that was me and it's great

Kvlt! posted:

:mad:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

From best to worst:
Witchcraft II: The Temptress
Witchcraft
Witchcraft VIII: Salem's Ghost
Witchcraft III: The Kiss of Death
Witchcraft 666: The Devil's Mistress
Witchcraft V: Dance with the Devil
Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart
Witchcraft XVI: Hollywood Coven
Witchcraft XIV: Angel of Death
Witchcraft XV: Blood Rose
Witchcraft XII: In the Lair of the Serpent
Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen
Witchcraft X: Mistress of the Craft
Witchcraft VII: Judgement Hour
Witchcraft XI: Sisters in Blood
Witchcraft IX: Bitter Flesh

I should have had more faith in this thread. Namaste.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Bliss is a gory, neon flashing sign of a movie. It's more of a rollercoaster ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3kLrWdyVTo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The Omen has legitimately good parts despite being a slog.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I like the original The Omen. It's not as good as many of it's contemporaries that it's grouped together with usually, but there's a lot of great stuff. I love the photographer's death, the nanny that hangs herself at the party, I reference the dog knocking the mom down on the stairs kinda regularly. I haven't seen it in a while, but the first two acts are loaded with great ideas, but the third act can't really maintain the weight of the ideas, or the rhythm of the scares, or conclude the premise in a satisfying way.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I like the original The Omen. It's not as good as many of it's contemporaries that it's grouped together with usually, but there's a lot of great stuff. I love the photographer's death, the nanny that hangs herself at the party, I reference the dog knocking the mom down on the stairs kinda regularly. I haven't seen it in a while, but the first two acts are loaded with great ideas, but the third act can't really maintain the weight of the ideas, or the rhythm of the scares, or conclude the premise in a satisfying way.

Yeah I was going to say I was surprised at the negative reaction to the original. I always thought it was pretty well remembered. Who doesn’t like that decapitation?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Bliss is a gory, neon flashing sign of a movie. It's more of a rollercoaster ride than the traditional narrative, sort of like Mandy or a Safdie brothers film.

Yeah I really enjoyed it, having just watched it now. It scratched the manic Gaspar Noé itch a la something like Climax, but obviously had a much more substantial plot than Climax did. Really fun ride.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

did you read the last sentence of my post :v: I think he's easily second best, but I feel like CP3 and Seed drag that franchise down more than the bad Halloweens drag that one down

OK guilty I can't read. I am just completely baffled by how much you like the bad Halloweens and I thought there had to be some other explanation, but it's just plain old different tastes. And horror thread so that's cool, I am glad someone enjoys Halloween 4.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll go to bat for the Halloween sequels. Loomis is the core of the series and maybe the single best horror franchise foil as you watch him go slowly more and more mad trying to stop Michael. Watching him use Jamie as bait for Michael is an amazingly dark moment. The end of 4 is amazing. Its tremendous that the town of Haddonfield progresses from the movies to a trigger happy drunken mob to prepared for a full bunker lockdown to just terrified to even say the word "Halloween." Paul Rudd. The Weinsteins chopped up 6. H20 is basically a Scream movie and Resurrection is a goofy Jason movie but the final act of H20 and first scene of Resurrection are actually a really good Laurie/Michael sequence even if '18 erases them.

:colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Irony.or.Death posted:

[...] I am glad someone enjoys Halloween 4.

I thought H4 was one of the better regarded ones? It was certainly a lot more competent than I expected going into it. 5 was distinctly worse and 6 just felt so, so tired (and I watched the “good” version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

By people who really like the franchise, it probably is I guess? I'm not one of them, I recognize that the original is a great movie but III is the only one I enjoy enough to rewatch.

e: disclaimers: haven't seen '18 and I'm not including the Zombie stuff.