Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If you know how to handle a gun
If you know how to store a gun
If you know how to shoot a gun

Then trust yourself
Because a gun is fun!

__
I know we had a lot of good times with that poem. But if you do not know how to store, handle, or shoot a gun safely, then leave firearms alone.

If you do, then protect your family. I mean who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm sorry but there is no baseline anymore.

haha yes. about those true colors everyone spoke of... here they are!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

If you've never left Germany and you like any combination of potato, fat meat and dark sauce, sure.

Southern German food is pretty cool, but as a northener our food is stuff that feeds you during long winters when you don't have access to anything fresh, and that's gonna be meat, cabbage and potatoes for the most part. It's extremely heavy too.

I was gonna say you are wrong, but as Bavarian, I'll allow it. Here in the South we have some nice stuff. Sadly pork roast doesn't store well, but our meat counters are stacked right now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Clitch posted:

So honest question:

Has anybody else bought a gun or started looking? I'm afraid this schizophrenic response from multiple layers of government in the U.S. is going to cause some serious unrest. This is us reaping 20+ years of garbage news media and politics eroding the public trust.

One of my salesmen at work and I have been discussing this virus since the middle of January, both of us agreeing that there's no way China wasn't downplaying the impact it was having there. Now we're standing on the floor, observing these poor cashiers as 300 strangers breathe in their faces every day, and wondering why the gently caress we're still open. We sell liquor. We're not essential. In fact, our entire function is selling an immunosuppressant! We have ZERO distancing guidance from our headquarters, and we are doing literally 200%+ YOY sales every day. This is a chain with over 150 stores making crazy money off of this, and we haven't heard a peep from company leadership since last week. It's incredibly stressful to manage this store and feel responsible for these people. I need them to come in because nobody's making us shut the doors, and the people just keep. loving. coming. The bars being shut down has made it worse. At the same time, I want to yell, "Stay home! This isn't worth it!", but I'm in the same boat, foolishly hedging against this being overblown the same way I sometimes have a flash of worry about going to Hell. We're all standing around looking at each other wordlessly asking if we've all lost our loving minds while droves of idiots file through the place acting like nothing's wrong.

Someone give me some perspective, please. I really feel like I'm losing my reality baseline here.

I work at a liquor store, small business and nothing big time, but I put in an indefinite call out a day ago because the same thing was happening for me. There was zero plan besides "Keep going till the state shuts us down." They were treating it like snow days, just keep dealing with the customers and get them out the door as fast as possible. No consideration for the complete and utter disparity in circumstances between a weather event and a viral pandemic.
The boss and manager were seemingly just excited to have the business. Three of my coworkers are older, one recently had a pacemaker installed, I help my two parents who are over sixty take care of my mentally challenged sister, my friend and coworker had a respiratory bacterial infection that left his lungs trashed, two of my other coworkers have kids. Virtually everyone at the store is either in the risk category or interact with people who are in it daily. The callousness, ignorance, and utter disregard for the seriousness of what was happening by my manager and boss was insane. I literally could not believe the total lack of action or planning. These people are more scared for their business than your life. I've always known that, but this has made it all that more obvious. I felt like a labor dissident with how I was forcing that point to my coworkers repeatedly over the last week. Working three times as hard with the risk of getting sick, no hazard pay, no promises of paid sick leave, no time and a half for the absolutely insane workload. Nothing. Completely thankless, status quo nonsense while we busted our asses and risked our health and that of our loved ones to make this dipshit money while he had the luxury of being able to handle his affairs from home.
I was being so overworked I could feel myself getting sick because of it, basically have a minor cold at the moment. The day I called it quits was when people started swarming over the state line from Pennsylvania to come shop in Delaware after the liquor store closures. That's people circumventing the restrictions imposed to stop the spread of this virus so they can stock up on loving god damned booze. People coming to potentially infect individuals in my state or take an infection back to theirs. Coming in laughing, making stupid loving jokes, looking at me wall-eyed and saying "Have you been really busy?" or making idiotic comments about all the other people panic buying as if they aren't being equally as god drat stupid as everyone else that walks through those doors.

I didn't give a poo poo that day. Called my manager, said "You won't be seeing me tomorrow and until we're told it's safe to return to normal." Every customer that came in, I was brusque and taciturn to. Customer service out the window. They deserved no civility. I never felt as much loathing for them as I did that day, and as other retail employees can tell you, that's saying something. Hundreds of people ignoring the measures that have to be taken to prevent the spread of this virus killing people, that could kill my vulnerable, at-risk family, to buy loving alcohol, because the pathetic motherfuckers apparently just can't handle the thought of potentially having to isolate sober.

Absolute simpering, weak-willed poo poo. I can understand necessities (and even then bulk-buying hoarders are selfish shitheads) but this is beyond the pale.

Get the gently caress out of there if you can man, they're going to leave that poo poo open until they're forced to close, and why? Because they're trying to squeeze every last drop from the panic buyer influx to save their own potential asses and their businesses, the human cost be damned.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hundreds of people ignoring the measures that have to be taken to prevent the spread of this virus killing people, that could kill my vulnerable, at-risk family, to buy loving alcohol, because the pathetic motherfuckers apparently just can't handle the thought of potentially having to isolate sober.

I mean, a bunch of potheads inc. me have posted about reupping weed during these trying times, alcohol isn't that much different

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'm out of booze.

Not a good time.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Kill All Cops posted:

I mean, a bunch of potheads inc. me have posted about reupping weed during these trying times, alcohol isn't that much different

It's actually very different, because potheads don't drop dead from withdrawal.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't really hate on people who want to pass out on their couch until we're done with that crap, if it ever happens.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh boy its time to make excuses for the alcoholics :toot:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

mossyfisk posted:

Of the people that shop for alcohol only a small amount are alcoholics. These are the people that come in on Mondays when the shop is otherwise dead.

Regardless, alcoholics are the first people who would come in sick with the virus to continue buying, so I don't see how that negates anything I've said. They can now go pick up their booze at restaurants that have started allowing pick ups in DE.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can't really hate on people who want to pass out on their couch until we're done with that crap, if it ever happens.

This is no different from people packing bars and restaurants, likely even worse, considering the pure volume of people who pass through the store in a day number over a thousand, as they have in the past week.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mossyfisk posted:

Like an alcoholic who's that deep would be completely out just coincidentally right when all the bars and liquor stores are closing. Get real.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CJacobs posted:

Like an alcoholic who's that deep would be completely out just coincidentally right when all the bars are closing. Get real.

You'd be surprised most of these people literally come in every day and buy the same poo poo. A lot of them intentionally don't stock liquor at home because they'd drink all of it.

And you can bet they're going to come in making their daily purchases even if they have to come in wheezing and coughing everywhere.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Clitch posted:

So honest question:

Has anybody else bought a gun or started looking? I'm afraid this schizophrenic response from multiple layers of government in the U.S. is going to cause some serious unrest. This is us reaping 20+ years of garbage news media and politics eroding the public trust.

One of my salesmen at work and I have been discussing this virus since the middle of January, both of us agreeing that there's no way China wasn't downplaying the impact it was having there. Now we're standing on the floor, observing these poor cashiers as 300 strangers breathe in their faces every day, and wondering why the gently caress we're still open. We sell liquor. We're not essential. In fact, our entire function is selling an immunosuppressant! We have ZERO distancing guidance from our headquarters, and we are doing literally 200%+ YOY sales every day. This is a chain with over 150 stores making crazy money off of this, and we haven't heard a peep from company leadership since last week. It's incredibly stressful to manage this store and feel responsible for these people. I need them to come in because nobody's making us shut the doors, and the people just keep. loving. coming. The bars being shut down has made it worse. At the same time, I want to yell, "Stay home! This isn't worth it!", but I'm in the same boat, foolishly hedging against this being overblown the same way I sometimes have a flash of worry about going to Hell. We're all standing around looking at each other wordlessly asking if we've all lost our loving minds while droves of idiots file through the place acting like nothing's wrong.

Someone give me some perspective, please. I really feel like I'm losing my reality baseline here.

You chose to work in a business with no ethics, like guns an tobacco, so you are surrounded by selfish garbage people. Good luck is my only advice

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You chose to work in a business with no ethics

Right like someone working as a cashier has the luxury of choice.

Go gently caress yourself.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quarantined gun owners will absolutely kill themselves / their spouse en masse right ?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

NE: nvm

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Quarantined gun owners will absolutely kill themselves / their spouse en masse right ?

Statistically yes that is the most likely outcome.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

...I didn't give a poo poo that day. Called my manager, said "You won't be seeing me tomorrow and until we're told it's safe to return to normal." ...

Why didn't you walk out? Your minimum wage job wasn't worth your health was it?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
i'd probably be bitching a lot about work if my job description resembled that of a vending machine

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

John_A_Tallon posted:

Why didn't you walk out? Your minimum wage job wasn't worth your health was it?

I get paid far above minimum wage and I had the courtesy to my older coworkers to at least stock the store as much as possible before I hosed off, and also gently caress off.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

With or without a gun during quarantine, we all need to practice trigger discipline.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kill All Cops posted:

i'd probably be bitching a lot about work if my job description resembled that of a vending machine

Yes clearly that's the issue and not the gross incompetence of the owner and the general exploitative practices of employers that is going to make this poo poo far worse than it has to be.

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011

Yes clearly that's the issue and not the gross incompetence of the owner and the general exploitative practices of employers that is going to make this poo poo far worse than it has to be.

How long did you work there?

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think individuals are losing sense of the fact the self-isolation and social distancing isn't in place to prevent healthy, young people from contracting the virus. It is very likely you are going to get it, so there's no point in behaving like you'll be able to avoid it, unless you are in the privileged position where you can actually avoid ALL human contact for the next 6 months or however long it will be - which is another thing we don't know.

The point of all of this is to lower the amount of people who have it at a given time so that medical services are less overwhelmed, and yeah they'll still be overwhelmed to varying extents, but that's why it is happening. That, and to lower the amount of deaths caused by widespread transmission - but there will a lot of death. There is no avoiding that either, it's just a matter of how many. There will also be many deaths DUE to the social isolation that is about to occur, for all kinds of reasons.

People still need to live and you can't just assume that everyone else has as little reason for being outside as you do. If you start assuming the worst about everyone else's behaviour, that's a decision you're making on top of this which is creating additional harm. Don't do that.

We don't need to start with this attitude of 'gently caress you for being outside' to everyone on top of all the other difficulties that are happening. I'm not saying the narrative that this is everywhere is wrong, but we shouldn't let ourselves internalise that to the extent we're turning on each other and getting furious at the world for not adhering to our exact standards of behaviour. It's a completely unrealistic and unfair outlook to have in any other situation, and it still is with this. Just do your best.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Resting Lich Face posted:

Right like someone working as a cashier has the luxury of choice.

Go gently caress yourself.

I must have missed where they said they were a cashier, the person I replied to.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I get paid far above minimum wage and I had the courtesy to my older coworkers to at least stock the store as much as possible before I hosed off, and also gently caress off.

Hey I'm not the one getting indignant about a job where the management won't treat health risks seriously. You are. If it was worth getting your ire up over now, why wasn't it worth walking when you recognized you had a problem? Why wasn't it worth talking your coworkers into walking too? Your complaining reeks of helplessness but you had agency throughout the entire day.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

gamestop selling doom eternal and animal crossing a day early wtf. i'll be playing doom eternal on ps4 if anyone needs a bud for the end of the world. psn - infiniteawesome

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah you’re the monster, cashier who has zero agency if management wants to close or not!! gently caress you and gently caress your incredibly precarious situation amplified by an unprecedented global pandemic!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

John_A_Tallon posted:

Hey I'm not the one getting indignant about a job where the management won't treat health risks seriously. You are. If it was worth getting your ire up over now, why wasn't it worth walking when you recognized you had a problem? Why wasn't it worth talking your coworkers into walking too? Your complaining reeks of helplessness but you had agency throughout the entire day.

I literally said I was talking to them constantly about collectively leaving in my post. I consciously made the decision to leave after another coworker did so that it would better impress on the management that they needed to shut down. I gave my coworkers fair warning and also urged my manager to make moves to shut down the store. What more do you want? Or are you just committed to annoying needling. Should I have loving blown the place up while I was at it?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So, like, how 'bout them beans?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

teen witch posted:

Yeah you’re the monster, cashier who has zero agency if management wants to close or not!! gently caress you and gently caress your incredibly precarious situation amplified by an unprecedented global pandemic!!!

Not calling him a monster. Just pointing out he could have walked whenever he wanted. People work because they have to, sure, but they can always choose to make hard decisions. He's not helpless, he had nothing tethering him to a job that he'd had enough of besides the promise of pay that will not serve him very well if he spreads covid-19 from one of his loser customers to people he cares about.

I literally said I was talking to them constantly about collectively leaving in my post. I consciously made the decision to leave after another coworker did so that it would better impress on the management that they needed to shut down. I gave my coworkers fair warning and also urged my manager to make moves to shut down the store. What more do you want? Or are you just committed to annoying needling. Should I have loving blown the place up while I was at it?

I didn't see that. Maybe I just suck at reading comprehension, but if your account about talking to your coworkers and giving your manager your perspective is there I'm sorry I missed it. It changes the entire story if you're talking to them and then leaving after you made your phone call saying you weren't showing up again. I disagree with taking time to help stock, but I get it. You don't want to leave people you actually like in more of a lurch than you need to.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 19, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

Not calling him a monster. Just pointing out he could have walked whenever he wanted. People work because they have to, sure, but they can always choose to make hard decisions. He's not helpless, he had nothing tethering him to a job that he'd had enough of besides the promise of pay that will not serve him very well if he spreads covid-19 from one of his loser customers to people he cares about.

UH, IDK, maybe a wage is what’s tethering him? Maybe having a job when there’s also a massive recession looming? Just a hunch?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
thank u for raising awareness of how bad capitalism can be during a pandemic, mr. ex cashier

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
Why didn't you just do the thing I, the cool, smart goon, would have done hypothetically?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Just go down to the job store and get a new job, gently caress, it ain't hard, just lower the bucket into the job well and get a whole mouthful of crisp, clean job in your mouth, how hard can it be

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at dogpiling on a cashier

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kill All Cops posted:

thank u for raising awareness of how bad capitalism can be during a pandemic, mr. ex cashier

Not only was I not a cashier but mocking someone's job position like some hauty country club geriatric is some purestrain rear end in a top hat poo poo.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
everyone's job deserves to be mocked as we all get slowly replaced by robots after the coronavirus wipes us all out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Not only was I not a cashier but mocking someone's job position like some hauty country club geriatric is some purestrain rear end in a top hat poo poo.

You know, now that I'm really thinking about it, I think what bothered me the most was your tone in your story. It'd have been affirming and reassuring to see some sort of confident message about having been sure you did the right thing, that you made a hard choice and you're proud of it. Because you did do the right thing, and you should be proud that you took a stand. It's sort of a foreign thing for many workers to hit their limit and say "I've had enough of this poo poo," precisely because we're in uncertain times. I'm sorry for picking on you; I was working through thinking about it while posting.