Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

ihop posted:

What are some of your guys' must-have features on a new car?

Manual, fun to drive, and heated seats. Everything else is negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I didn't know I would upset a bunch of lazy boomers that don't know how to use a handbrake on hills. :smug:

Hill assist is fine I have just found it annoying in a few manual cars where it will release too slowly. It's also sort of obnoxious on my fiance's DSG-equipped TTS where it feels agonizingly slow to release the brake as you start applying gas on a hill.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

ihop posted:

What are some of your guys' must-have features on a new car?

Ventilated/cooled seats and Magneride shocks (for a performance car). I'm guessing I'll want some sort of lane keeping & ACC on my next car, but am fine with dumb cruise control for now.

MetaJew posted:

I didn't know I would upset a bunch of lazy boomers that don't know how to use a handbrake on hills. :smug:
Have you tried moving your feet faster & not sucking, instead of using the handbrake?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I’ll swap heated seats for a heated wheel any day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MetaJew posted:

Good luck with electric parking brakes catching on. Also old-school Ford (and others, probably) parking brake pedals. It was doable, but not at all convenient.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

Good luck with electric parking brakes catching on. Also old-school Ford (and others, probably) parking brake pedals. It was doable, but not at all convenient.

I just realized all four of our cars are foot pedal parking brakes.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Almost all of these were crushed but there’s one in the basement of the Lane museum in Nashville.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What powered those things?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
A 2.2L turbocharged 4 with 380hp https://www.carthrottle.com/post/that-time-citroen-tried-to-buy-back-and-destroy-all-its-group-b-specials/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ahhh yes the absolute worst of the Group B cars.

Praising with faint damning?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Don't care, still awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Once you show up to Group B at all, I would say you're already in the top 1% of cool cars.

edit: I just realized the white widebody BX Group B was one of my favourite toy cars growing up. Things are starting to slot into place now. I knew I didn't need that state-ordered psychiatrist.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cakesmith handyman posted:

Don't care, still awesome.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What finally did in Group B? Hell we had the 959 and the 288GTO.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It was so good it was threatening to make all other motorsport irrelevant. Like what Rust In Peace did to all forms of art.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colostomy Bag posted:

What finally did in Group B?

A bunch of people died.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

What finally did in Group B? Hell we had the 959 and the 288GTO.

Henri Toivonen taking a swan dive off a cliff and the car exploding on impact with the ground.

Also Portugal where a bunch of spectactors were killed but that was more to do with spectactor lunacy

Also the realisation that having a car whose firewall was *just* an asbestos blanket AND the fuel tank under the driver / codriver was really REALLY loving dumb, let alone being so powerful it was undrivable. Altho with some irony the replacement Group A cars were MORE powerful just a year later and just as equally undrivable hence the 300hp limit they put on the cars for many, many years and - 50mm turbo restrictor did jack poo poo as the turbos had.... a 49 mm intake so they went to a 34mm restrictor.

If you ever see a Group B car in person you will have a WTF just how crude and badly built they were. The modern replicas even built in sheds in a paddock all tend to be waaaaay better. Hell even the ones that have been restored are vastly better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also Portugal where a bunch of spectactors were killed but that was more to do with spectactor lunacy

This is very mild spectator lunacy, but completely and totally insane by today standards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU&t=23s

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Why not? People swap V8s in Jeeps all the time it's nothing new :confused:

This just gave me flashbacks to a local festival that was held many moons ago.
Dude had a V8 swapped carbureted something or other that was so dismantled that it was unidentifiable at my viewing distance. It was mostly just a frame with big fuckoff tires and an exhaust-less motor hanging off the front.
I just remember ERUPTING in laughter as the fucker fired it up for the third day in a row at 5am, before the sunrise sets even began and the collective groan of every drug-addled wook flowed through the camp like Katrina's floodwaters through New Orleans.

He flooded it like half a dozen times and it took him two hours but he climbed that hill. :911:

otaku69
May 18, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Hill assist is fine I have just found it annoying in a few manual cars where it will release too slowly. It's also sort of obnoxious on my fiance's DSG-equipped TTS where it feels agonizingly slow to release the brake as you start applying gas on a hill.

What are the Zoomers calling the Corona Virus

Boomer Reducer

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

otaku69 posted:

What are the Zoomers calling the Corona Virus

Boomer Reducer

Boomer Remover, yours don’t even rhyme.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I will admit all of my manual cars have had handbrakes. Having a manual with foot parking brake sounds like a pain in the rear end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

wallaka posted:

Boomer Remover, yours don’t even rhyme.

It's Boomer Doomer geez get it right

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MetaJew posted:

I will admit all of my manual cars have had handbrakes. Having a manual with foot parking brake sounds like a pain in the rear end.

America has done lots of stuff very stupidly in the past, foot parking brakes being one of them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

America has done lots of stuff very stupidly in the past, foot parking brakes being one of them.

You know the first car I ever was in with a foot parking brake was British. Some old Leyland heap of poo poo

Edit : poo poo actually Morris, it predated Leyland

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MetaJew posted:

I didn't know lazy millennials are so bad at driving an MT that they need to use the handbrake :smuggo:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

When my dad was teaching me to drive a manual he told me about using the handbrake on hills but it seemed awkward and kind of intimidating at the time so I never did it and just practiced being faster instead. Took a while to break the habit when I got a car with hill assist but I don’t mind it now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The only time I've ever used the handbrake while driving in my 10 years of driving manual is when setting off in steep hills. There is 0 need otherwise. I've never understood the hysteria in the UK of applying the handbrake at every drat light. Just makes me cringe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never considered using the hand brake, I just heel-toed that poo poo and prayed I didn't stall as I let off the brake because I was a horrible judge of how much gas to give.

Hill assist is awesome, though it's weird that they put it on automatics these days. I guess it's almost entirely a software feature on modern stuff so it's no cost to give to everyone but it was still a bit of a "uh what happened" moment when I was doing a stretch at a stop light and mashed the brake as hard as I could for a second, causing lights to start flashing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Eyud posted:

When my dad was teaching me to drive a manual he told me about using the handbrake on hills but it seemed awkward and kind of intimidating at the time so I never did it and just practiced being faster instead. Took a while to break the habit when I got a car with hill assist but I don’t mind it now.

I was the rear end in a top hat dad. Teached my kid in a defunct Home Depot lot over an afternoon until he got the hang of it. Then basically told him, course Manual 101 is over. When you are on a hill with someone on your rear end you'll graduate quite quickly in a few seconds.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I hated the hill hold in my friend's Jetta, love the hill hold in my Forester, both manual transmission obviously. The Jetta seemed like it was on a fixed timer and you'd get it at weird times. Mostly it would try to stall the little diesel or give you just enough time to build a little boost and jerk you around when it suddenly let go. Forester seems like it actually senses engine load, so you don't feel like you're ever fighting against it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not sure that's an american thing. Mercedes basically always has done this, Porsche does it on some things, etc, etc.....

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You know the first car I ever was in with a foot parking brake was British. Some old Leyland heap of poo poo

Edit : poo poo actually Morris, it predated Leyland

Luckily that being a thing died out. Also you're showing your age here, old man :ssh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Luckily that being a thing died out. Also you're showing your age here, old man :ssh:

And I can *Still* kick your rear end esp on a bike!!!!!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

The only time I've ever used the handbrake while driving in my 10 years of driving manual is when setting off in steep hills. There is 0 need otherwise. I've never understood the hysteria in the UK of applying the handbrake at every drat light. Just makes me cringe.

Because it’s something you’re tested on in the driver’s test, which is light years harder than the “just drive around the block without crashing” ‘test’ you take in America.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And I can *Still* kick your rear end esp on a bike!!!!!

:lol: oh that's for drat sure and much to my shame I guess. Wondering if I can sneak out on the bike while off work and hit up some empty lanes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was the rear end in a top hat dad. Teached my kid in a defunct Home Depot lot over an afternoon until he got the hang of it. Then basically told him, course Manual 101 is over. When you are on a hill with someone on your rear end you'll graduate quite quickly in a few seconds.

Dad? I didn't know you had a forums account. :stare:

I grew up on the side of a mountain that's covered in ice 6 months out of the year, so I learned how to hold the clutch on the friction point at stop signs right away.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Y'all got some different dad's than I have, my dad was petrified of teaching us and it was solely up to my Mom, who had taught her young siblings.

16yo me, who was lurking AI 14 loving years ago, made a bet with my dad (I had to do a ton of chores in a short amount of time) to teach me stick, and I won. All was going well until I stalled his Ford Ranger in front of oncoming traffic, restarted multiple times, and finally departed in a literal cloud of clutch smoke.

Several years later I bought a manual Mustang 120 miles from where I lived, and taught myself how to drive one by driving home, all my vehicles since have been manual.

A couple years ago that same Ranger was the one thing my Dad made sure I got when he passed, after I mentioned it casually one day during a trip home, which I think is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Dad? I didn't know you had a forums account. :stare:

I grew up on the side of a mountain that's covered in ice 6 months out of the year, so I learned how to hold the clutch on the friction point at stop signs right away.

I learned in a Wisconsin winter and did my road test during a loving ice storm...My dad, "It'll be fine...honest..."