Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, going straight for Sandra is the best TV move for us, but I'm not sure I would have gone for that. She could've blackmailed Sandra to some degree or used that as a way to work with her for a while. Using 2nd idol seems a bit extreme and leaves her vulnerable. Maybe she really wanted a resume move? Gotta be another tribal or so before merge, so she's at least drawn aggro for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pinterest Mom posted:

So Sandra selling her idol to Denise was a dumb overplay obviously

I think Denise getting Sandra out is a bit of an overplay too? I don't know that she's in a better position with zero idols minus Sandra, a relationship with Jeremy, and a target, than she would have been with one idol minus Tony and relationships with Jeremy and Sandra.

To be fair though, usually Sandra manages to slide under the radar. Everyone knows it but they still let her do it. Taking her out now...that's going to earn huge respect. She did waste an idol though, and you saw Jeremy hold his head in embarrassment when he realized what she did and that he voted for her.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, going straight for Sandra is the best TV move for us, but I'm not sure I would have gone for that. She could've blackmailed Sandra to some degree or used that as a way to work with her for a while. Using 2nd idol seems a bit extreme and leaves her vulnerable. Maybe she really wanted a resume move? Gotta be another tribal or so before merge, so she's at least drawn aggro for a week.

Blackmail the Queen? Good luck with that. :)

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
This season my God

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
She also gets to keep an extra fire token assuming they did the 1 before 1 after. Got to make a big splash which is what the eventual winner is going to need to do.

Not even sure the 2nd idol was really wasted either. Jeremy probably assumed they were both told to vote for each other so it's not some big betrayal. This shows she's solidly with him too if she's going to use an idol to save him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wouldn't really call that second idol a waste either- for all Denise knew Sandra's team was targeting Jeremy anyways, which would still be bad for Denise even if she made it through tonight's vote. If they go to tribal again before the merge at least its 2-2 now instead of 3-1, and with nullifiers in play its not like a single idol is a guarantee to survive a 3-1 scenario.

Anyways I'm just lol'ing at Sandra getting voted out with her own idol over here. That's like some HvV Tyson or HvV JT poo poo right there. I love Survivor.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Predictably, a lot of people are not taking this episode well (read some of the comments)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B95U-OVJt5q/

edit: warning, offensive content below

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/5d288edde701996ec925117eae1b3b0b.jpg

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 19, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think Denise getting Sandra out is a bit of an overplay too? I don't know that she's in a better position with zero idols minus Sandra, a relationship with Jeremy, and a target, than she would have been with one idol minus Tony and relationships with Jeremy and Sandra.

I think it was a move designed to win the game not a move designed to make it easier to get to the end.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Predictably, a lot of people are not taking this episode well (read some of the comments)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B95U-OVJt5q/

edit: warning, offensive content below

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/5d288edde701996ec925117eae1b3b0b.jpg

I don't get the reaction. For all we know Wendell trying to scam tokens was an agreed upon plan.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
They flipped the chronological order of the tribal councils because it was so shocking. Sandra made a pretty bad move and deserved to go, but I still really hate the fire tokens. They are becoming the stars of the show instead of the stars of the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HOLY gently caress! I wanna be mad Sandra got got but that was too baller a move from Denise for me to get mad. I liked Sandra's play to Denise and I don't know if it really made a difference. If you're Denise you have an idol and you're in danger so I think you play it and target the biggest threat any way. But making the deal with Sandra, handing her a token, and then voting her out while everyone else shits their pants is just a play worthy of an all winners season.

I'm fine with Denise's move. The second idol play was questionable but she probably couldn't trust Tony, the whole thing could have been a ploy by Sandra, and it buys some trust with Jeremy. So like... it worked and it cost 2 idols and a token but she made the biggest move of the season and probably isn't gonna jump up the threats chart. And I don't think its the wrong move to keep an ally in the game.

The queen is dead. Long live the queen.

Man, I liked Wendell a ton coming in but drat he looked bad and arrogant this episode. I had to laugh at Michelle basically going "so what if me and Parv vote for you so I get some stuff?" and being mad he didn't take it well, but boy he didn't take it well or handle anything well tonight. Who knows who if anyone is to blame for a clearly bad relationship but the edit can't make you be an rear end. I'm really surprised he survived. I thought for sure Nick would turn with his whole Parv creeper thing.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Denise got big brass balls that clang... holy poo poo what a power move!

Her playing the second idol on Jeremy wasn't really a waste, it protected her friend in a "what if scenario" and gained oodles of respect from him.
It also played directly to Sandra that she underestimated Denise by giving her a pity idol because she OBVIOUSLY is too weak to get one on her own.

Kim needed a forklift to raise her jaw from the floor after that vote and rightfully so... that was clutch as gently caress of a tribal.

I have mad respect for Denise now, she's a baller.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stokes posted:

They flipped the chronological order of the tribal councils because it was so shocking. Sandra made a pretty bad move and deserved to go, but I still really hate the fire tokens. They are becoming the stars of the show instead of the stars of the show.

they're just tools that the stars of the show are using to make themselves stand out more by how they use them imo

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Denise's season is the first one I watched and she's remained my favourite winner. I was bummed she hadn't been featured much this season but I'm really happy she got to make this stone cold killer move. It was especially delightful after that tribal where everybody agreed she wasn't a threat.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I missed parts of the tail-end of this episode. Why did Sandra give Denise an idol? I managed to catch the tribal but I missed that scene.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

aidoru posted:

I missed parts of the tail-end of this episode. Why did Sandra give Denise an idol? I managed to catch the tribal but I missed that scene.

Sandra's idol was a gift from Edge and expired tonight. She wanted to cash it out to Denise for two tokens because she thought she was safe tonight.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Double idols was probably an overplay and voting Sandra out was definitely a style-over-substance move

(Not that I mind using someone's advantage against them just to make them look dumb, but if you're going to do that, I would prefer you explicitly clown on them rather than pass it off as Serious Gameplay)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No lowercase goats this season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Denise got big brass balls that clang... holy poo poo what a power move!

Her playing the second idol on Jeremy wasn't really a waste, it protected her friend in a "what if scenario" and gained oodles of respect from him.
It also played directly to Sandra that she underestimated Denise by giving her a pity idol because she OBVIOUSLY is too weak to get one on her own.

Kim needed a forklift to raise her jaw from the floor after that vote and rightfully so... that was clutch as gently caress of a tribal.

I have mad respect for Denise now, she's a baller.

In Second Chances Jeremy played an idol on Fishbach so if anyone can appreciate/respect that sort of move it should be him.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Goddammit - I love this season. It's like hustle on hustle on hustle.

Also, very messy!

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 19, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That was ice cold and I love it. Oh Sandra. You can't not respect that move.

Also wow, Yul is the only winner left from before the halfway mark, isn't he.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Count me in with the "wasn't an overplay" camp (at least for Denise). I think it became pretty clear that she wasn't very well-respected and this changes that.

On the other hand, just a terrible blunder from Sandra. Hubris really does have it's way of rarely going unpunished in this show.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Vernacular posted:

On the other hand, just a terrible blunder from Sandra. Hubris really does have it's way of rarely going unpunished in this show.

I think it's one of the dumbest moves we've ever seen. Not quite an Erik level move, probably more around the JT level. From the moment Sandra brought the idea up to Denise there was no way it could possibly end with anyone else going home.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The other (small) thing that stood out to me was that Sandra was trying to sell the idol for two tokens. Which meant that she knew Denise was holding onto more than one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I think it's one of the dumbest moves we've ever seen. Not quite an Erik level move, probably more around the JT level. From the moment Sandra brought the idea up to Denise there was no way it could possibly end with anyone else going home.
I dunno, JT's call in HvV was wrong but at least you can sort of see why he thought an all women's alliance was forming and coming after Russell. I'm not sure what huge upside Sandra was hoping to get out of giving an Idol to Denise.

Like are two fire tokens really worth that much?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Raxivace posted:

I dunno, JT's call in HvV was wrong but at least you can sort of see why he thought an all women's alliance was forming and coming after Russell. I'm not sure what huge upside Sandra was hoping to get out of giving an Idol to Denise.

I mean you can literally buy an idol with one token. Selling an expiring idol for two could, in theory get her a profit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean you can literally buy an idol with one token. Selling an expiring idol for two could, in theory get her a profit.
I thought it was like 3 tokens for an idol. If its really only one than yeah that's a lot more defensible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Raxivace posted:

I thought it was like 3 tokens for an idol. If its really only one than yeah that's a lot more defensible.

3 tokens for an idol is only on the Edge. So far, any advantages that Edge players try to sell to remaining cast members have all been for a single token.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Someone also edited Denise's Wikipedia article, and it's great.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Think Sandra contemplates raises the sail on Extinction? There's no sit out bench over there, and she knows she has zero chance of winning her way back in with anything physical.

Also kind of ironic that a player brought back to be a mentor to new players makes a mistake like that. Denise adding the "one first, then one after" caveat didn't set off alarm bells?

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 19, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh word? Do you remember where they said that?

IcePhoenix posted:

Last three on the EoE one are Bottle of Wine, Six Pack Cold Beer, and Hammock. Natalie and Tony didn't mention anything else when they were reading it off so that should be it.

You're probably just thinking of the limited power idol Sandra bought from Natalie, which I believe is the only idol bought that way so far. Everything else has been an advantage of some sort.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I don't mean off the menu, but Sandra knows that EoE people will try and sell advantages, which are all powerful. They've all so far only costed one token each.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It just occurred to me they likely won't be able to do a live reunion show for this season.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sand Monster posted:

Also kind of ironic that a player brought back to be a mentor to new players makes a mistake like that. Denise adding the "one first, then one after" caveat didn't set off alarm bells?

Nah, one token now, one after would be completely natural in that situation. Denise can't really trust that Sandra isn't 'selling' a fake idol just to try and get a couple fire tokens before sending Denise home.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I think all Sandra wanted was to see one of the guys get the boot, but without getting any blood on her hands and bring Denise into her group with a situation where Denise "owes" her even though the idol was sold. Plus Sandra knows the fire tokens are going to come into play at some point and she wants as many as possible.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh word? Do you remember where they said that?

You're probably just thinking of the limited power idol Sandra bought from Natalie, which I believe is the only idol bought that way so far. Everything else has been an advantage of some sort.

Well there's been like 2 idols so far sold from EOE to players in the game for 1 fire token.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That Sandra blindside was amazing. It only flitted across my mind briefly as a possibility and I never expected it, and I like the editing call to not tip the viewer off that it was an option Denise was considering.

That tribal theoretically could have been a huge disaster, by the way. Imagine the following unfolding: Jeremy peaces out. Denise plays her idol. Sandra goes oh poo poo and plays hers, and so does Kim. Tony tries to crawl into a spy bunker but Probst drags him out and sends him off to Extinction.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Does anyone know what happened between Wendell and Michelle off the island? It seems like he cheated on her, but I am not sure.

As for last night. I thought it was a great move. I never watched the seasons Sandra was on, so last season was my first exposure to her. I enjoyed watching her, but man, she was just way too cocky. I feel like she put a target on herself that wouldn't have been there before by selling the idol, and she didn't even realize that Denise had a second idol. Like, she pretty much handed it to Denise to make a decision without knowing she was doing it.

Was it best for Denise's game? I am not sure. No one knows. This game changes episode to episode. I do think that Denise made a pretty good case for herself if she makes it to the end, though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

As for whether it was an overplay, it's really hard to say. Going ahead with an idol in your pocket and a secret relationship with Sandra isn't too shabby, but now she's a legend and single-handedly made this massive move. I don't blame Sandra as much as some of you, because I don't think it was that bad an assumption Denise would target Tony or Kim.

Tyson, Rob, Parvati, Sandra out in a row. It hurts but I guess everyone is a winner and the only one acting goaty was Danni, so still plenty of potential this season. Wendell is really being shown as a massive douche, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

That Sandra blindside was amazing. It only flitted across my mind briefly as a possibility and I never expected it, and I like the editing call to not tip the viewer off that it was an option Denise was considering.

That tribal theoretically could have been a huge disaster, by the way. Imagine the following unfolding: Jeremy peaces out. Denise plays her idol. Sandra goes oh poo poo and plays hers, and so does Kim. Tony tries to crawl into a spy bunker but Probst drags him out and sends him off to Extinction.

Does anyone know what the contingency plan in the rules are if, at vote time, everyone is either gone or has made themselves immune? Do they just cancel tribal?