Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a pandemic, the markets have collapsed, and all the bars are closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
sorry guys and girls, rear end is off the menu

the grauniad posted:

Dr Carlos Rodríguez-Díaz: There is no evidence that the Covid-19 can be transmitted via either vaginal or anal intercourse. However, kissing is a very common practice during sexual intercourse, and the virus can be transmitted via saliva. Therefore, the virus can be transmitted by kissing. There is also evidence of oral-fecal transmission of the Covid-19 and that implies that analingus may represent a risk for infection

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

Yep, nightmare fash time. Yay.

Seriously what the gently caress happened in this timeline?

We are reaping what we've sown, and nobody likes it up 'em

XMNN posted:

sorry guys and girls, rear end is off the menu

Devastating news for those of us who like to eat rear end but refuse to kiss on the lips during sex

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's loving *ridiculous* unless there's something they know about this disease that we don't.

I guess they know how ridiculously contagious and lethal it's been if you don't do it. See: Wuhan, Lombardia, New York (about to happen)

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

"Hi Goldskull,

All our Agencies are dropping all their Freelancers at the end of this week. I have no idea when things may return to normal. I’ll certainly let you know if we get anything to work on remotely."

Guess nothing's getting printed in the next few months then.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

I guess they know how ridiculously contagious and lethal it's been if you don't do it. See: Wuhan, Lombardia, New York (about to happen)

This is going to sound callous as gently caress, but there's fatal and there's fatal. If it were the Spanish Flu and taking down children and otherwise-healthy adults, that's one thing, but the victims are overwhelmingly old and with existing conditions.

Quality-adjusted life years is a measure for a reason, and intervening this massively across an entire population to tack an extra year or two onto someone's life is something that has to at least be up for debate.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Mebh posted:

Yep, nightmare fash time. Yay.

Seriously what the gently caress happened in this timeline?

I refer you once again to the quantum immortality hypothesis: This timeline is hosed up and insane because it's the only one where we haven't nuked ourselves yet.

Speaking of which, Barnier just got the 'rona. So that's a definite no-deal Brexit at the end of the year then.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know I do wonder if it was any other massive bloc of the populace at risk, say, all women, or all black people or all 20s to 40s instead of the largest voting bloc in history with all the money and power, that being the boomers...

Would the same measures be being enacted? I'd like to hope so. However I'm just not sure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Barnier has got The Package, finally Britain catches a break

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

You know I do wonder if it was any other massive bloc of the populace at risk, say, all women, or all black people or all 20s to 40s instead of the largest voting bloc in history with all the money and power, that being the boomers...

Would the same measures be being enacted? I'd like to hope so. However I'm just not sure.
If it were all women then they'd care, but mostly in case it interfered with women's one sacred duty of maek babby.

If it were all Black people then the Met would be selling baggies of the virus in Brixton.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

The European Union’s industry chief has called on Netflix and other streaming services to take action to reduce congestion on the internet, amid surging demand as millions of people confined to their homes go online.

Thierry Breton, the European commissioner for industry, told Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings that he and other operators should take responsibility for preventing internet congestion by switching to standard definition rather than high definition.

You can take my HD video from my cold dead hands.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is going to sound callous as gently caress, but there's fatal and there's fatal. If it were the Spanish Flu and taking down children and otherwise-healthy adults, that's one thing, but the victims are overwhelmingly old and with existing conditions.

Quality-adjusted life years is a measure for a reason, and intervening this massively across an entire population to tack an extra year or two onto someone's life is something that has to at least be up for debate.

But who decides quality of life?

Just because I'm nearly 60 does not mean that my quality of life is lower than someone say 25, in fact my life now is about 1000x better than when I was a 25 year old poo poo head.
My mother at 82 is incredibly active and outgoing, takes church services, works in a charity shop, takes part in amateur dramatics. My nans at 82 were essentially typical little old ladies.

Suppose we said everyone over 60 has paid into the tax/national insurance system for many years so they deserve more than those who are younger, have paid in less years and are now going to be economically inactive for the next few years while the after effects of this virus work through.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 19, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Noted excellent egg Michael Rosen seems to have it, and is older than I realised at 73. This sucks, y'all.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pound_Coin posted:

Labour leadership chat: I finally got my ballot stuff, I've gone with RLB/Burgon followed by Butler, but I don't know much about NEC candidates, who is and who is not a poo poo? I'm looking at Townsend and one other atm but don't know who.

Same - will vote for RLB and am looking into deputy candidates now. Probably going with Burgon or Butler as well but I need to do some more reading.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe our ISPs should've been building better infrastructure like the rest of the developed world (not the US) instead of making incrementally less poo poo speeds drastically more expensive.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

Maybe our ISPs should've been building better infrastructure like the rest of the developed world (not the US) instead of making incrementally less poo poo speeds drastically more expensive.

Maybe we should have free superfast broadband to all homes.. wonder if there's a political party that supported that idea?

This is going to be a problem though with everyone using domestic lines to work, online conferencing/teaching etc instead of business lines, let alone all the extra streaming.

Bring back dvds and vhs!

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Ugh, just saw an MEN article on Facebook about Johnson’s comments about renting/landlords. Comments were full of landlords saying “well we’re gonna need the rent paying how will we survive” etc. Luckily there was a couple of comments telling them to piss off so I didn’t lose all faith in humanity.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My company are still raising calls for us to go and adjust settings on machines (which should have done in the factory) in order to keep us "productive" and I've just refused to do them any more. I'm not going into offices where people might be infected to do poo poo that isn't important

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bring back dvds and vhs!

I'm currently about halfway through season 2 of Farscape, and accelerating.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm not going into offices where people might be infected to do poo poo that isn't important

What's changed?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm going to do my bit by doing hardly any work when I'm working from home :britain:

it is amazing how this virus is exposing almost every hosed up, malicious, short-sighted decision this society has made over the last several decades, and proved Corbyn right

hopefully people are in a learning mood

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ah good, my Covid-19 is on its way. Wait, that's not good at all.

Subbz posted:

Ugh, just saw an MEN article on Facebook about Johnson’s comments about renting/landlords. Comments were full of landlords saying “well we’re gonna need the rent paying how will we survive” etc. Luckily there was a couple of comments telling them to piss off so I didn’t lose all faith in humanity.
#notallMEN

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
My wife's a teacher and has just been told all school holidays are cancelled and she can expect to have to cover shifts from 6am to 10pm looking after key worker children.

poo poo's really real right now.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I love working from home, so far I've done the massive pile of laundry, played with the cat, had multiple cups of coffee and written about 5 lines of code.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I love working from home, so far I've done the massive pile of laundry, played with the cat, had multiple cups of coffee and written about 5 lines of code.

You're 5 lines of code ahead of me, Coffee made, cat played with. Got a load of wood to stack at lunchtime because I'm a country bumpkin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They mentioned that on the news, supposedly the fact that the schools are closed to most pupils means they are supposed to spread the workload of looking after kids over the holidays between more staff.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1240597703387643904

Self isolation going well in France I see.

Guavanaut posted:

#notallMEN

I know a certain Manchester based football fan channel that only refers to MEN as "formerly reputable local newspaper now online blog" or something along those lines.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

My wife's a teacher and has just been told all school holidays are cancelled and she can expect to have to cover shifts from 6am to 10pm looking after key worker children.

poo poo's really real right now.

:stare:

Christ...

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Just lol at people wandering around outside as if this was a normal Thursday

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I had some serious issues getting a setup where my cat wouldnt jump on top of my laptop in the middle of a work call. Ended up having to take the laptop to bed so the cat can sleep next to me while I work.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I've just been catching up on redlettermedia. It's great to just have youtube constantly going while attempting to do any work.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh good it’s SA where I can use this word.

If you are advocating for coronavirus to run it’s course then you are advocating for the deaths of potentially 17% of the disabled and immunocompromised, which includes many many LGBT people and huge numbers of people in Africa, along with the deaths of the elderly, and your eugenics loving fascist arse is a “prize oval office”

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Someone's got a cough in the Scientific Advisers briefing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
rip londoners

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1240603617918431232

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s going to be announced tonight then...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Necrothatcher posted:

If only a certain public British telecommunications company had had plans to replace all the nation's copper with optic fibre.

Alas

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Gibbo spotted at Scratchwood services

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

has the tube/buses not allready mostly shut down, are they on a 48hr time delay in no.10.

Gen think people have started to act outside the coc a bit, i wonder how much action is actually being directed from the top right now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can’t, this timeline I just

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1240594616082145281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pardon me but this is psycho poo poo.

It's also dumb as hell, young people who get it die too, especially when the health system is scuppered and those who dont can be permanently damaged.