Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Dunno if it was already mentioned, but the Australian football season has just begun with no spectators. Very weird to watch, but still a good group of people have turned up at the pub to watch (with plenty of distancing and sanitizer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
in the states wwe wrestling is doing this also and ratings are up just because how weird it is heh

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mnoba posted:

in the states wwe wrestling is doing this also and ratings are up just because how weird it is heh

That's soap opera not a sport though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Dunno if it was already mentioned, but the Australian football season has just begun with no spectators. Very weird to watch, but still a good group of people have turned up at the pub to watch (with plenty of distancing and sanitizer).

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival was due to start next Wednesday and they announced 6 days ago that the entire thing was cancelled. They're offering full refunds on all tickets (many people buy tickets months in advance for the bigger drawcards) but if customers bought their tickets via the MICF website they can choose to donate the money to the performer instead. A bunch of comedians tried to band together and figure out if there was some way they could livestream their shows but pretty much most other comedians went "Yeah no my material won't work without a live audience reacting to it in real time" so it pretty much fizzled.

And now the MICF has just announced that even thought they've cancelled all the shows they won't be refunding the performer's registration fees (which start from $500 upwards) because the eventuality that the entire festival might be cancelled simply wasn't addressed in the contracts and the comedians are all LIVID.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

That's soap opera not a sport though.

I think you'll find it's actually the most sport

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1239131459572596736

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

This is why it's stupid that they outright cancelled the Eurovision Song Contest. Have them tape performances locally and air them and then people can vote as usual. It would suck but it's still better than nothing.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
loving lol.
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1240556969792090113?s=20

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Did they buy the tests from Nigeria?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lodin posted:

This is why it's stupid that they outright cancelled the Eurovision Song Contest. Have them tape performances locally and air them and then people can vote as usual. It would suck but it's still better than nothing.

yeah I agree. Would be a great show of solidarity plus it's cheaper than the whole shebang anyway.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Did they buy the tests from Nigeria?

Let’s not.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

McSpanky posted:

this is amazing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I can't even remember ever hearing about COVID's 1 through 18 so they must have been pretty mild!!

teen witch posted:

Let’s not.

Nigeria was already trying to deal with a bad outbreak of Lassa Fever and they only just got their first few cases of COVID-19 a few weeks ago, they are NOT having a fun time :(

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

These tests are making some evil people fortunes. In USA most teste are probably syphoned by rich people, stolen by the use for normal people. Why test a random person when a rich guy would pay 10.000 $ for it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

McSpanky posted:

A grippingly dramatic scene from a masculine soap opera. Highly entertaining just not a sport It's okay most sports aren't entertaining to watch, this is the future of drama

pixaal fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 19, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nigeria was already trying to deal with a bad outbreak of Lassa Fever and they only just got their first few cases of COVID-19 a few weeks ago, they are NOT having a fun time :(

I know, I’m Nigerian, and I’m tired of the country being default “lol corrupt African country scam!!!”

I have to worry about three goddamn continents personally, and half a loving globe for my job. My patience is thin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I laughed but ngl scamming Israel sounds deadlier than Corona

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Tei posted:

These tests are making some evil people fortunes. In USA most teste are probably syphoned by rich people, stolen by the use for normal people. Why test a random person when a rich guy would pay 10.000 $ for it.

they are testing entire nba teams and staff right now through private companies so ya this is happening.

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

Go back to Facebook.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Suck my dick you EU man!

quote:

Brussels has urged Netflix to consider streaming video in lower quality to relieve pressure on the internet during the coronavirus outbreak, which has seen internet use soar as more are confined to their homes.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/03/18/netflix-urged-lower-quality-streaming-peak-times-ease-pressure/

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Lodin posted:

A contest like the Eurovision requires hundreds if not thousands of technicians. The amount of people required to run the show is enough by itself to exceed any quota currently set by governments.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sewer Adventure posted:

It's pretty much the same here in France. Though there are severe shortages of face masks, doctors aren't even wearing them. I haven't been out since the lockdown started (I am a goon), so I don't know how many people are out and about, but I can see cars milling about from my window. Apparently around 90 people have been fined in the town I live in in the first 24 hours for breaking the lockdown.

How does the lockdown work for getting supplies? Is it like if you weren't a hoarder at the start it's just "lol, gently caress you, fine"?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t think I want to be on this ride anymore.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1240610510065762304?s=21

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

How does the lockdown work for getting supplies? Is it like if you weren't a hoarder at the start it's just "lol, gently caress you, fine"?

You print a form, and go to the store. It's not perfect and people are abusing it but vOv

e: the form is basically your name and whether you're out for supplies/doctor/other I don't remember

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKy2_nV-uOQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burt Sexual posted:

Stfu with this China virus poo poo already goons. It’s not funny

Someone needs to tell that to the US Senate as well

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1240364608390606850

gently caress me :doh:

Also Swine Flu and MERS didn't originate in China

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So my S/O is a PA at a hospital in London and this is what is going on today.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That's early to be getting lunch.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

oh cool, the virus made it to PEI, the province the best situated to isolate itself, from a returning cruise ship passenger

All cruise ships should have been made to lash together out in the ocean like some sort of Waterworld-esque floating city.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

go play outside Skyler posted:

A contest like the Eurovision requires hundreds if not thousands of technicians. The amount of people required to run the show is enough by itself to exceed any quota currently set by governments.

Obviously, but they totally could scale it down and make it safe.
Sony was gonna present some bullshit about the next Playstation at GDC, but that got cancelled. Instead they had Mark Cerny stand in front of some paper cutouts and do his talk. Eurovision could totally pull off something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmWIR-D6ro

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Meh, Eurovision is about extremely over-engineered light shows more than it is about the music. That wouldn't make much sense imo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lodin posted:

Obviously, but they totally could scale it down and make it safe.
Sony was gonna present some bullshit about the next Playstation at GDC, but that got cancelled. Instead they had Mark Cerny stand in front of some paper cutouts and do his talk. Eurovision could totally pull off something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmWIR-D6ro

Can't wait for the version of this where someone replaces them with Crow, Tom, and Joel.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

i'm so stressed out. i work in a pharmacy and have a pregnant wife and 2 year old at home. i cant keep doing this poo poo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very worried about your pregnant 2 year-old.

I hope you and your family stay safe, pharmacy ghost.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Clitch posted:

So honest question:

Has anybody else bought a gun or started looking? I'm afraid this schizophrenic response from multiple layers of government in the U.S. is going to cause some serious unrest. This is us reaping 20+ years of garbage news media and politics eroding the public trust.

One of my salesmen at work and I have been discussing this virus since the middle of January, both of us agreeing that there's no way China wasn't downplaying the impact it was having there. Now we're standing on the floor, observing these poor cashiers as 300 strangers breathe in their faces every day, and wondering why the gently caress we're still open. We sell liquor. We're not essential. In fact, our entire function is selling an immunosuppressant! We have ZERO distancing guidance from our headquarters, and we are doing literally 200%+ YOY sales every day. This is a chain with over 150 stores making crazy money off of this, and we haven't heard a peep from company leadership since last week. It's incredibly stressful to manage this store and feel responsible for these people. I need them to come in because nobody's making us shut the doors, and the people just keep. loving. coming. The bars being shut down has made it worse. At the same time, I want to yell, "Stay home! This isn't worth it!", but I'm in the same boat, foolishly hedging against this being overblown the same way I sometimes have a flash of worry about going to Hell. We're all standing around looking at each other wordlessly asking if we've all lost our loving minds while droves of idiots file through the place acting like nothing's wrong.

Someone give me some perspective, please. I really feel like I'm losing my reality baseline here.

close the store and tell the employees that it was the owners idea. if you dont their blood and the blood of all of your customers is on your hands

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Yeah, they had African Swine Fever (a name used by all major international news agencies, ya trigger-happy loons) . Good read though, if you never heard about the extent of the swine epidemic there it explains why.

quote:

When the deadly virus was first discovered in China, authorities told the people in the know to keep quiet or else. Fearing reprisal from Beijing, local officials failed to order tests to confirm outbreaks and didn’t properly warn the public as the pathogen spread death around the country.

All this happened long before China’s coronavirus outbreak, which has claimed more than 3,000 lives worldwide in less than three months. For the past 19 months, secrecy has hobbled the nation’s response to African swine fever, an epidemic that has killed millions of pigs. A Reuters examination has found that swine fever’s swift spread was made possible by China’s systemic under-reporting of outbreaks. And even today, bureaucratic secrecy and perverse policy incentives continue undermining Chinese efforts to defeat one of the worst livestock epidemics in modern history.

Beijing’s secretive early handling of the coronavirus epidemic has troubling similarities to its missteps in containing African swine fever, but with the far higher stakes of a human infection. After the coronavirus was found in December 2019 in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, local and national officials were slow to sound the alarm and take actions disease experts say are needed to contain deadly outbreaks. Beijing continues to gag negative news and online postings about the disease, along with criticism of the government’s response.

Interviews with farmers, industry analysts and major suppliers to China’s pork sector indicate otherwise. More than a dozen Chinese farmers told Reuters they reported disease outbreaks to local authorities that never made it into Beijing’s official statistics. Those infections are going unreported to central authorities in part because counties lack the cash to follow a separate requirement from Beijing to compensate farmers for pigs killed to control the disease

Local officials have also avoided reporting outbreaks out of fear of the political consequences. And they have routinely refused to test pigs for the virus when mass deaths are reported, according to interviews with farmers and executives at corporate producers.

It's quite a long article. Bottom line is: if you believe a single statistic or statement out of Beijing regarding Coronavirus, you are insane.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

You print a form, and go to the store. It's not perfect and people are abusing it but vOv

e: the form is basically your name and whether you're out for supplies/doctor/other I don't remember

Yeah, you just fill out a bit of paper saying why you’re going out. It’s pretty dumb but deters people from casually going out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hazo posted:

Can't wait for the version of this where someone replaces them with Crow, Tom, and Joel.

At least that would make watching the creepy bastard blather on about how they've invented surround sound entertaining.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

How about this fella go to hell, snakes are delicious.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

i would eat some snake right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
cornyn is horrified about snake eating

cuz it's cannibalism to him :v: