Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pseudanonymous posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Great book but I will arbitrarily exclude it as a nuclear apocalypse book and part of a top five that includes on the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Are there any good virus/pandemic/apocalypse books people would recommend?

The Hot Zone.
Alibek's book on the Soviet bioweapons program.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

buffalo all day posted:

Great book but I will arbitrarily exclude it as a nuclear apocalypse book and part of a top five that includes on the beach.

I was about to say.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've been singing the praises of Eifelheim in this thread for a while. Pandemic plus first contact plus excellent medieval historical fiction, it's all great.

I actually ordered The Stand just the other day because of all this plus I haven't read it in fifteen years. I remember the first third of it (all the stuff actually relating to the pandemic) being really, really great. As usual King lets his imagination lead him down the garden path as the book goes on, but that first act is tight. From memory.

General Battuta posted:

Doomsday Book, you’ll cry

I read this recently and felt a solid 60% of it was about people placing a telephone call, telling their secretary to hold their calls, telling somebody they were tying up the "trunk line," etc.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

freebooter posted:

I read this recently and felt a solid 60% of it was about people placing a telephone call, telling their secretary to hold their calls, telling somebody they were tying up the "trunk line," etc.

do not read blackout/all clear whatever you do.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

freebooter posted:

I actually ordered The Stand just the other day because of all this plus I haven't read it in fifteen years. I remember the first third of it (all the stuff actually relating to the pandemic) being really, really great.

Depends on if you ordered the original published version or the unabridged version. The unabridged version is...not so tight, even in that first third, and has always been my goto for "THIS IS WHY YOU loving NEED AN EDITOR!"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

That's weird! Because I think the unabridged version was what I started reading as, like, a 12-year-old or something, and was full of all the parts I found totally fascinating. Then I think I read the whole book in full in the original version a few years later and thought it was missing some stuff, especially with the CO of the military base the virus escapes from.

Anyway I've ordered the unabridged version because I think that's the only version that's actually still in print, and the Abebooks search for second hand copies was weirdly broken - turning up all kinds of King books except the one I was looking for.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ulmont posted:

Depends on if you ordered the original published version or the unabridged version. The unabridged version is...not so tight, even in that first third, and has always been my goto for "THIS IS WHY YOU loving NEED AN EDITOR!"

This is why I didn’t want to step in as a constant reader.

Just watch the movie instead.

About 1/3 of it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

freebooter posted:

That's weird! Because I think the unabridged version was what I started reading as, like, a 12-year-old or something, and was full of all the parts I found totally fascinating. Then I think I read the whole book in full in the original version a few years later and thought it was missing some stuff, especially with the CO of the military base the virus escapes from.

The original version opens with a car running off the road and slamming into a gas station because the driver is sick with Captain Trips. Things spiral downhill from there.

The unabridged version opens with yet another day at the office and takes, IIRC (and it has been quite some time) like 5 chapters of boring minutia to get to the same car crash.

...I mean, if you enjoy that bit, have fun, but I would certainly not describe it as "tight."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ulmont posted:

The original version opens with a car running off the road and slamming into a gas station because the driver is sick with Captain Trips. Things spiral downhill from there.

The unabridged version opens with yet another day at the office and takes, IIRC (and it has been quite some time) like 5 chapters of boring minutia to get to the same car crash.

...I mean, if you enjoy that bit, have fun, but I would certainly not describe it as "tight."

And this is the part people like about the stand.

Dying in church for maximum irony.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

And this is the part people like about the stand.

Dying in church for maximum irony.

All after the car crash, I think.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ulmont posted:

I'll report back. I think it was at least a solid 15 years ago that I read any of it. We'll see if it can take the crown from 11/22/63 for "jesus christ this could've been so much better if you trimmed 300 pages"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ex Heroes series by Peter Cline is pretty good. Superheroes + zombie apocalypse.

Outpost series by Adam Baker is awesome (save for Terminal, that one kinda sucked). Technozombie weird poo poo apocalypse. Various stories of people caught in it, but no real overarching characters as I can recall.

White Fire by Brian Keene is pretty great. It's more of a novella than a novel. Still, really liked it. Goes from "Oh everything is great and normal and wonderful" to "Ohh, oh gently caress." in a terrific way.

First and Second activation are interesting. Sort of pandemic/apocalypse but it's more of a signal that makes people crazy than a virus making zombies. Like Cell but better, if that makes sense.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I recommended Doomsday Book a while ago. Yeah, it can drag in spots but it's also great at communicating the end-of-the-world feeling people had during the Black Death.

Seconding Station Eleven as well.

Might also enjoy (if that's the right word) Norman Spinrad's Journal of the Plague Years, which was inspired by the 80s AIDS epidemic. (For nonfiction on the same topic, you want Randy Shilts's And the Band Played On.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Selachian posted:

I recommended Doomsday Book a while ago. Yeah, it can drag in spots but it's also great at communicating the end-of-the-world feeling people had during the Black Death.

I don't hate Doomsday Book or anything, but because I read them in quick succession... I just strongly, strongly recommend Eifelheim as the superior black death novel. One which is bafflingly underrated.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

loved the replies you guys gave me when I asked for a generation ship novel. Anyone of you have a recc for a “settling a planet” book that came out recently?

I’ve read Coyote and Legacy of Heorot, and I didn’t like the coyote ( the ending was stupid as heck), I loved Heorot.

Anything 2000ish would be swell.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

freebooter posted:

I don't hate Doomsday Book or anything, but because I read them in quick succession... I just strongly, strongly recommend Eifelheim as the superior black death novel. One which is bafflingly underrated.

Eifelhiem was great, and if Doomsday book is 75% as great, I’m sure it’ll be a swell read!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PawParole posted:

loved the replies you guys gave me when I asked for a generation ship novel. Anyone of you have a recc for a “settling a planet” book that came out recently?

I’ve read Coyote and Legacy of Heorot, and I didn’t like the coyote ( the ending was stupid as heck), I loved Heorot.

Settling a planet: Cherryh's 40k in Gehenna. They drop off 40k settlers and supplies and then abandon them and it covers several generations as society breaks down. Also the local lizards are not simple animals.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Read it, and it was too plodding. If you have any other, more recent suggestions I’d love to hear it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Totally unrelated to the current conversation, but props to whoever recommended Recursion, book had one idea and then executed it really well and I am glad I read it even if it was a pretty quick read.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PawParole posted:

Legacy of Heorot, and I didn’t like the coyote ( the ending was stupid as heck), I loved Heorot.

Have you read the sequel to Legacy of Heorot? (Beowulf's Children, I think?) And there's a third, according to wiki, called Destiny's Road.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

NinjaDebugger posted:

Have you read the sequel to Legacy of Heorot? (Beowulf's Children, I think?) And there's a third, according to wiki, called Destiny's Road.

Oh wow I'd forgotten Destiny's Road.

Larry getting all libertine with his characters.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm no prude. I've read Heinlen.

Also I think the thing about 40k in Gehenna is there are no protagonists and it takes generations for the story to play out. There are family names but don't get attached to a character. Canticle for Liebowitz does a similar thing. Especially if you read its sequel.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm in the minority who did not care for Station Eleven, found the characters and story rather boring and the central "because survival is insufficient" theme stupid and offensive. Decent writing, sure.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

my bony fealty posted:

I'm in the minority who did not care for Station Eleven, found the characters and story rather boring and the central "because survival is insufficient" theme stupid and offensive. Decent writing, sure.

Well I for one will listen to a Shakespeare adjacent podcast until we can find some written Shakespeare or possibly Star Trek novels.

I just hated the premise of Station Eleven and the opening but then it got good.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOT9LDK/

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016IXMWI/

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, on the post-apocalypse front, I forgot to also mention Riddley Walker, although it's post-nuclear rather than post-plague. So, read Riddley Walker.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tor.com has this ridiculously charming short story A Guide for Working Breeds up right now:

https://www.tor.com/2020/03/17/a-guide-for-working-breeds-vina-jie-min-prasad/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

a foolish pianist posted:

Tor.com has this ridiculously charming short story A Guide for Working Breeds up right now:

This is delightful, but I am seriously disappointed in the lack of a link for the zero-g corgis in bowties video.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

ulmont posted:

It's been years since I read the unabridged version (never read the original) and I remember it starting with the gas station crash as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

:kimchi:

I'm gonna have to see if that person wrote some more stories.

Completely unrelated but saw this series was free on kindle at the moment, might be good, might suck, either way it's free. https://www.amazon.com/portal-migration/kindle-dbs/product/B07FKHMQVX/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 20, 2020

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:kimchi:

I'm gonna have to see if that person wrote some more stories.

https://uncannymagazine.com/article/fandom-for-robots/
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/prasad_01_17/

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

PawParole posted:

Read it, and it was too plodding. If you have any other, more recent suggestions I’d love to hear it

Semiosis by Sue Burke. Generation-spanning story of human colonists learning to survive and accommodate themselves to alien lifeforms.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Solitair posted:

It's been years since I read the unabridged version (never read the original) and I remember it starting with the gas station crash as well.

The prologue is the dude escaping the lockdown on base, and chapter one is the crash at the Texaco station.

After that, I think it shifts and covers Larry's party where he racks up the debt, Fran's mother, and that kind of thing, the background on the main characters, and that stuff plods a little, but I think it is necessary.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Selachian posted:

By the way, on the post-apocalypse front, I forgot to also mention Riddley Walker, although it's post-nuclear rather than post-plague. So, read Riddley Walker.

I'm reading this right now and it's real good

snagged the one copy in my library system the day before they all shut down :smug:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Last Policeman Trilogy (The Last Policeman, Countdown City, World of Trouble) by Ben Winters - $9 or $3 each
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7W72F
I'm actually reading the 2nd one now and they're pretty great so far. Interesting background setting for a mystery.

Jade City by Fonda Lee - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/
Looks interesting, the Godfather plus wuxia. Worth reading?

The Corporate Wars Trilogy by Ken McLeod - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC24GD2/

pradmer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 21, 2020

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

pradmer posted:

Jade City by Fonda Lee - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/
Looks interesting, the Godfather plus wuxia. Worth reading?

This book is great, it was one of my favorite sff books whichever year it came out. Very solid take on a crime family novel imo. The sequel is pretty good too!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jade City is super good. The Godfather but with Kung Fu Wizards is 100% my jam. Haven't read the sequel yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I stopped Jade City after several chapters. Maybe I should try again?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Even at $2.99 skip the Ken MacLeod Corporate Wars Trilogy bundle unless you're desperate for entertainment during COVID-19 lockdown. The interesting robotic entities that open the series quickly get shunted aside fast so MacLeod can re-fight all the ideological battles he lost in real life, and masturbate over full-immerson VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

foutre posted:

This book is great, it was one of my favorite sff books whichever year it came out. Very solid take on a crime family novel imo. The sequel is pretty good too!
Oh hey, there is a second one, cool!
...No Kindle version.
Well, gently caress.