Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

jokes posted:

loving hell do I hate the early plagues. Maybe a month in, a plague pops through and my highest skilled medical person treats them with the best medicine available (industrial medicine) and they rest in my clean hospital the entire time and just die. Dumb as gently caress.

Topical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah Tiers is super fun and really inventive but it totally upends the difficulty curve in a lot of ways. It's one of those mods where including it really means planning a game around its presence rather than it just being accessory content. Think of endgame bases with multiple augmented T4s and servers pumping their skills basically being like the architect centipede in Genetic Rim, something to mess around with when you've already "beaten" the game.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

jokes posted:

loving hell do I hate the early plagues. Maybe a month in, a plague pops through and my highest skilled medical person treats them with the best medicine available (industrial medicine) and they rest in my clean hospital the entire time and just die. Dumb as gently caress.

Just got struck down with infections. I have a stabilise mod to stop bleeding in the field until i can heal them properly. Just had a life or death fight, 4 colonists downed, last one blows a guys head off making the other raiders flee. My one last colonist stabilises two people before collapsing of blood loss, the two stabilised pawns come round and start saving the others, infections set in, Toxla and Baiga are bleeding out on the ground, Trout goes on a food binge while saving them, Irgo goes on an alcohol binge at the same time. Gray my doctor comes round and manages to stop the bleeding, everyone has infections now, gray tries to get people to the hospital but collapses due to exhaustion. Now everyone is either downed or wandering about with untreated infections ~48% and immunity at ~19%.

First time I've ever lost a colony to gangrene.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You can amputate infected limbs. It's better than letting a pawn die.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

and it gives you an excuse to quest for bionic or better limbs. it's a fuk objective.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Tribal start, so research is painfully slow and resources are scarce. Resources like herbal medicine.

Muscle parasites.

It's probably going to take over a year for me to get 300% worth of medical treatments. Saving the first set of starter herbs for someone that's gonna die without them and winter is coming. This'll be fun.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The chronic diseases also have a fixed course they run, if you don't get enough treatment.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

You can amputate infected limbs. It's better than letting a pawn die.

That's the problem. Everyone either has an infected torso, mind broken and wandering around or passed out from pain. There is no one to do the amputating. It's a lost colony haha.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just amputate their torsos :colbert:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm trying to figure out what to do about this:

It's a modded body part so I'm sure there's something I can do, just haven't found/researched it yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does tend quality matter for asthma?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

The chronic diseases also have a fixed course they run, if you don't get enough treatment.

That's a relief, I'm basically boned on long term medical care. Not sure anyone even has enough skill to grow herbal medicine, and I didn't plant any in the first spring/summer anyway. Even with RimCuisine for dried meat and pickled vegetables on top of vanilla pemmican it's been a mad scramble just to grow and preserve enough food for the first winter. There's a huge shortage of labor so getting a massive slow down like that for a year had me fully expecting a death spiral.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

bird food bathtub posted:

That's a relief, I'm basically boned on long term medical care. Not sure anyone even has enough skill to grow herbal medicine, and I didn't plant any in the first spring/summer anyway. Even with RimCuisine for dried meat and pickled vegetables on top of vanilla pemmican it's been a mad scramble just to grow and preserve enough food for the first winter. There's a huge shortage of labor so getting a massive slow down like that for a year had me fully expecting a death spiral.

This is the Rimworld thread. Coronavirus thread is over there.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sab669 posted:

Just amputate their torsos :colbert:

Just walking around like Rayman

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bird food bathtub posted:

If you have doctors that are any good at all you might be able to caravan to an industrial tech town to trade for some regular medicine. Sell tribalwear, or even just raw mined steel, buy food with the extras. Regular medicine even with an average doctor working on a patient in a bedroll has really good odds of giving you 50-100% treatment quality, so 3-6 medicine will be enough to cure the parasites.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Toxic fallout is a giant pain in the rear end. If you have a spread-out base, you have to build roofs and columns to connect all the buildings. And restrict where your colonists and animals go. Apparently a moderate dose of toxic poisoning can give your colonists permanent debuffs like dementia.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Vegetable posted:

Toxic fallout is a giant pain in the rear end. If you have a spread-out base, you have to build roofs and columns to connect all the buildings. And restrict where your colonists and animals go. Apparently a moderate dose of toxic poisoning can give your colonists permanent debuffs like dementia.

Moderate in this case means 40%. As long as you can manage the mood debuffs from being sick, it's safe to cycle them on and off of unrestricted zones as needed. I usually stick to under 20% to be safe, but even that can be several days of exposure if they normally work inside.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah toxic fallout's movement restrictions are not the problem with toxic fallout, the problem is being unable to produce any food whatsoever unless you have a functioning greenhouse.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The problem with toxic fallout is that it is incredibly boring (no raids or quests potentially for years) and a pass-fail test for your base layout.

It's the only event I always turn off.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I got a Long Night event from a mod that basically just makes it night yknow for a seriously long time and it's so creepy as all the plants die off from lack of sunlight, so the herbivores starve, so the predators start coming after you. And the entire area is just barren and it's like drat spooky.

I see it as sort of a take on the idea of toxic fallout except you can still be outside and it says in the description that other factions will take it as an omen and will wage war and attack more often

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

yeah toxic fallout's movement restrictions are not the problem with toxic fallout, the problem is being unable to produce any food whatsoever unless you have a functioning greenhouse.

Love me them skylights. No more bullshit like needing electricity to grow indoors just slap some glass in the ceiling and away you go. Always found it retarded that a group of vanilla spacer colonists can't figure out greenhouses only using glass and have to have fancy sun lamps.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Garfu posted:

It's a modded body part so I'm sure there's something I can do, just haven't found/researched it yet.

When in doubt, healer mech serum.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Prokhor posted:

I got a Long Night event from a mod that basically just makes it night yknow for a seriously long time and it's so creepy as all the plants die off from lack of sunlight, so the herbivores starve, so the predators start coming after you. And the entire area is just barren and it's like drat spooky.

I see it as sort of a take on the idea of toxic fallout except you can still be outside and it says in the description that other factions will take it as an omen and will wage war and attack more often

I just had that end after lasting almost 3 years. The tooltip says it might only be a season, but thankfully I treated it as if it was permanent and went all-in on prepping immediately, sinking every resource I had into mass hydroponics and non-solar energy so it worked out ok. It was a neat event, though I'd be annoyed getting it on every playthrough.

Unfortunately now that it's ended I got hit by the global warming event instead. I also am currently in a heat wave. it's 150F outside. I replaced an entire side of my fridge with coolers and I still can't get it to freezing. I don't even want to know how high it could get if you were on a naturally hot map in the summer.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 19, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What do the red lines / boxes mean? I assume basically "this worker is out of comission probably due to Health or Mood reasons" and "this worker sucks at this task" respectively?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Red line means the pawn is downed/incapacitated, red box means the pawn has super low skill but has been assigned to the task anyway.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Also you should always use manual priorities.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah I'm only on my second game but using manual priorities has helped me grow so much more successfully than in my first. I have one colonist who is really good at farming and another who is a really strong miner. I don't have stuff to grow or harvest all year, and I don't need constant mining, so manual priorities makes it easy to get lots of research and cleaning done, which always feel like afterthoughts with automatic priorities. I want them to be able to hunt and haul stuff, and with auto priorities I'd need to tell them to never do it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll look into that for next time I play, then. Definitely was having issues with people taking too long to haul corpses away

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vengarr posted:

The problem with toxic fallout is that it is incredibly boring (no raids or quests potentially for years) and a pass-fail test for your base layout.

It's the only event I always turn off.

Yeah, Toxic Fallout is a garbage event that is no fun and sucks and it lasts way too loving long. I either turn it off or if I forget to do so I manually end it with dev mode.

I could roof over my entire base and make sure my food crops are always in a greenhouse and completely trivialize the event, but that's boring as poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mzbundifund posted:

If you have doctors that are any good at all you might be able to caravan to an industrial tech town to trade for some regular medicine. Sell tribalwear, or even just raw mined steel, buy food with the extras. Regular medicine even with an average doctor working on a patient in a bedroll has really good odds of giving you 50-100% treatment quality, so 3-6 medicine will be enough to cure the parasites.

I'm on the second quadrum of a tribal start, just got beds built because I didn't have research to do it. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to just tough it out while I keep stockpiling food for the upcoming winter. No way I could spare the labor on a caravan. Everyone is either growing food, preserving that food in some way because no refrigeration, or healing up from the last attempt at getting food.

(Pissed off pack of antelopes that I was able to corral on one side of a wall and choke point into a door. Meals on wheels with kicks and scratches.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any mods that give you the option to tell your assigned pets to just attack a target?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Garfu posted:

I got this too, but it's from some sort of mod conflict or something when I added a handful of mods mid-game. Suddenly my best cook has 8 destroyed parts, six of which (Upper Back, Lower Back, Left Chest Cavity, Right Chest Cavity, etc.) don't actually impact his health and aren't from battle. Is there a dev mode command to insta heal? Almost everyone has at least one or two magically destroyed body parts that aren't doing anything but cluttering up their health screens.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
restore body part -> torso fixes all child body parts.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I'll look into that for next time I play, then. Definitely was having issues with people taking too long to haul corpses away

The best mod you can add is one that gives you haul urgently options. My favorite is the Allow Tool mod. It brings "haul+" as a work job up higher than everything else for your pawns and then you can tag stuff that really needs to be hauled. Your pawns will prioritize haul+ over their other jobs unless you don't give them that job. I can barely play without it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Ah ya good call. There's nothing actually affected by it so I'll just heal the torso. Thanks!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So how much comes age into effect for choosing if you should recruit a pawn? I just had a raid survivor with really good cooking&crafting which is exactly what I look for at the moment. But he was 81 years so I figured that he wouldn't be around long enough anyway and let him die

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Vargs posted:

I just had that end after lasting almost 3 years. The tooltip says it might only be a season, but thankfully I treated it as if it was permanent and went all-in on prepping immediately, sinking every resource I had into mass hydroponics and non-solar energy so it worked out ok. It was a neat event, though I'd be annoyed getting it on every playthrough.

Unfortunately now that it's ended I got hit by the global warming event instead. I also am currently in a heat wave. it's 150F outside. I replaced an entire side of my fridge with coolers and I still can't get it to freezing. I don't even want to know how high it could get if you were on a naturally hot map in the summer.

I had that happen on an extreme desert and it basically topped out at 170F.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

So how much comes age into effect for choosing if you should recruit a pawn? I just had a raid survivor with really good cooking&crafting which is exactly what I look for at the moment. But he was 81 years so I figured that he wouldn't be around long enough anyway and let him die

I take the old ones a lot of times. Especially if they are doing jobs that will never leave the base. Just put them to work and make a zone that keeps them in a certain area and whenever they're not delusional they will at least do what they can and let your other pawns do other jobs.

Granted this is when you already have 4 or 5 other pawns. I wouldn't take them if that was my first new recruit.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

restore body part -> torso fixes all child body parts.

Remove hediff can also work for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

I had that happen on an extreme desert and it basically topped out at 170F.

Tropical forests can go even higher. 170-something F average temperature in my current map, tops out over 190F.

edit: welp didn't take into account the heat wave. We're well past 220F now. At night.

I had been doing an android run for funsies. Not even androids can handle this.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 20, 2020