Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You really shouldn't get mad about it. It's almost human nature to build your identity around something. It's dumb but it's something that happens and when you take that thing away it really messes with people.

Also most people haven't been affected by corona beyond inconvenience give it time and people will shut up about not being able to hit the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Guyver posted:

You really shouldn't get mad about it. It's almost human nature to build your identity around something. It's dumb but it's something that happens and when you take that thing away it really messes with people.

Also most people haven't been affected by corona beyond inconvenience give it time and people will shut up about not being able to hit the gym.

I know, it's just the short-sightedness and selfishness that's bothering me. By not going to the gym, by practicing social distancing, we can negate so much of the negative effects. I don't think that's gotten thru people's heads yet.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

nooneofconsequence posted:

The researchers who determined it can be aerosolized and survive for 3 hours put it in a drat nebulizer into a contained drum. If it was aerosolized straight from infected people we'd all be far more hosed. There is no evidence of aerosolized transmission. That said, staying in close quarters with strangers who are, presumably, exerting themselves and breathing heavily is pretty drat stupid at this stage.

ok i found this that suggests while the aerosol study maybe wasnt the best, there is still some evidence for aerosolized transmission, but it is actually mainly from surfaces. my bad

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-can-become-aerosol-doesnt-mean-doomed/

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Here is where I strut in the thread and brag about working out in my moms garage, where I smoke weed and listen to death metal. :smug:

I just have a rogue squat stand, a cheap bowflex and some kettlebells so it's not an amazing setup, thinking about getting a glute/ham thingy soon. Other than more kettlebells and maybe a hexbar that's the only thing i really want.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Constipated posted:

Here is where I strut in the thread and brag about working out in my moms garage, where I smoke weed and listen to death metal. :smug:

I just have a rogue squat stand, a cheap bowflex and some kettlebells so it's not an amazing setup, thinking about getting a glute/ham thingy soon. Other than more kettlebells and maybe a hexbar that's the only thing i really want.

To be 15 again...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I intend to do curls on my patio and rowing cinder blocks until I can't put my arms down. Headlock the virus to death.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They haven't closed gyms here so

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

While I don't/have/ to lift, now that I'm out of my program at uni my fitness routine is the only thing keeping me focused. I get really squirrelly and anxious otherwise. Obviously I like how I look from all the effort, but what I really like is how I feel after all the effort.

Speaking of which, gonna blast out 100lb hip thrusts cause that's all I have on my squat bar at home lol. I live on the top floor of my building and my neighbors don't need a reason to hate me so it's volume training till isolation is over.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Found out yesterday I can do hand stand push ups against a wall at about a 20-30 degree angle. Any steeper than that and I can't do it.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/XGqDcMz.mp4

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Zzulu posted:

They haven't closed gyms here so

Your local authorities incompetence is no excuse for plague spreading

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

While I don't/have/ to lift,
Yeah. It's messing with my weight loss goals, and it sucks going back to the gym after a break. Sore for a week or two for sure, takes a month or five to peak again depending on how long this isolation lasts, and more annoying crap.

I have trouble focusing consistently when I don't workout but that's more of a personal problem than something everyone experiences.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 19, 2020

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
My main gym here is still open, but I am friends with the owner and he thinks they will be forced to close in the coming weeks.

Thankfully I have managed to snag a squat rack, adjustable bench, 150kg in bumper plates and enough plywood and MDF to make a 2mx2m platform.

Going to miss normal deadlifts as I am on the first floor and don't want to drop the weights (I don't have anyone below me but I'd rather not risk damaging the floor even with a platform), but stiff leg/Romanian deadlifts will do for now.

Working from home for the foreseeable future too as I am at higher risk due to type 1 diabetes (although it is very well controlled), so gonna come out of the end of this pasty as gently caress from no sunlight, a big hobo beard and absolutely massive (providing we don't run out of food).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

My gym is also my work, and while almost everyone is allowed to work from home at this point, you technically don't have to...

I guess what I'm saying is I'm hoarding gains this apocalypse.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was looking at my exercise bike and realized that YouTube must be crammed with cardio workouts, and sure enough the first one I found was suitably brutal and even low-impact for my old broken-down bod.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Publix meat departments usually only have one or two packages of beef heart out every couple days but thanks to people going crazy and buying every other cut of meat to hoard the store I stopped at today had entire section full.

Cheap beef heart stew for days.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eRCJ0lcvg

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Whipstickagostop posted:

Going to miss normal deadlifts as I am on the first floor and don't want to drop the weights (I don't have anyone below me but I'd rather not risk damaging the floor even with a platform), but stiff leg/Romanian deadlifts will do for now.

You do know you can just like... put the bar down. You don’t need to drop it

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Omnikin posted:

You do know you can just like... put the bar down. You don’t need to drop it

I don't drop it intentionally, but would still be worried about putting down 180-200kg, even gently. Although the platform will be close to the wall, the joists are only made of wood so want to keep the impacts down to a minimum.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My lungs hurt.

Need to pick slower music for my next row. I am a child with no self control. Also desperately lacking in aerobic fitness.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That YouTube cardio video left me feeling slow, weak and uncoordinated so I am going to keep using it until I don't feel like that.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Why are basic squat stands like $200. Gimme a break.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

We got ours from getrxd for $120 but they're sold out rn

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Being poor is truly the killer of gains.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
This is what I'm working with. It's only like 140lbs with everything on the bar but doing Fat Gripz everything is getting the job done. Now I just need to replace all my family photos with pictures of Ronnie Coleman and I'm good to go.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Antoine tried using fat grips om the rower, by the way?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ovenboy posted:

Antoine tried using fat grips om the rower, by the way?

point of a rower is to make your heart beat fast and your lungs burn

no real point making it more difficult to pull

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

It is difficult for my heart already, but not at all difficult for my hands. I figure it would be a way to get some forearm volume in, almost like the calf volume a runner get. I have a bit of a hard time getting forearm/grip work in since I prioritize it quite low if I only have 45-60 minutes to train on strength training days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ovenboy posted:

It is difficult for my heart already, but not at all difficult for my hands. I figure it would be a way to get some forearm volume in, almost like the calf volume a runner get. I have a bit of a hard time getting forearm/grip work in since I prioritize it quite low if I only have 45-60 minutes to train on strength training days.

If you want to work forearms during the apocalypse get one of those little squeezy toys

you shouldn't even be gripping the handles tightly for more than a 500. Anything more than that and you want to barely hold on to the handle. If you're in a position to get a forearm pump your pull is terrible.

And running isn't a good comparison, both because a.) calves don't get bigger and b.) in running your pushing, in rowing your arms are pulling.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I haven't a single muscle on my body that pushes though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guy I knew who was super into DDR back in the day, he had lower calves like Popeye

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Rack and bench turned up today. Got some MDF and plywood and made a platform too. Apparently the equipment is "semi-commercial" - got to admit I feel quite underwhelmed with it all set up.

Hopefully I will feel better about the purchase once the rubber matting and weights/bar turn up.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

There is a really basic CAP one on amazon for 120. It claims to hold 500 lbs. Mine gets here Tuesday, so we'll see if it holds up.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
If anyone is looking for home gym equipment, rogue is going to begin manufacturing PPE and ventilators starting Monday so if you were on the fence about an order, do it and support a company that is doing something awesome

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That is remarkable and I want to know more.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MA-Horus posted:

That is remarkable and I want to know more.

Medical Supply Update: We are taking the following measures

1) Product Development Team is working solely on medical supplies - Masks, Gowns, Shields and ventilators.

2) Manufacturing: We have begun sewing masks and will kick into full production Monday. Next items we are going to make are gowns, shields and ventilators.

We have purchased three Industrial 3D printing machines to help make parts.

3) Supply Chain: We are prioritizing these raw materials and components for these as well.

--

Per earlier post we are also seeing very strong demand for our products and will do our best to get those items to you in an expeditious manner.

We would encourage you if you want to do this in your state to contact the local hospitals and your state leadership.

Thank You

Rogue Team

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rowing is kicking my rear end, but I'm getting marginally better. It's also setting off my shoulder issue though, which isn't deal. Getting the familiar sharp pains in my elbows and a little numbness in my fingers again. Hopefully it eases off once I stop pulling so hard with my arms all the time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I was lamenting the lack of space in our apartment when I remembered we have an outdoor storage space, really just a big closet, by the front door. Went in there and saw that it's pretty spacious, about 7' wide and 8' deep.

Anyone got any suggestions for cheap equipment that could go in there? I was looking at:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/body-champ-pro3900-olympic-weight-bench-set

I'll probably get what I pay for, but it'd just be a matter of purchasing a barbell and some plates after that.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I was lamenting the lack of space in our apartment when I remembered we have an outdoor storage space, really just a big closet, by the front door. Went in there and saw that it's pretty spacious, about 7' wide and 8' deep.

Anyone got any suggestions for cheap equipment that could go in there? I was looking at:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/body-champ-pro3900-olympic-weight-bench-set

I'll probably get what I pay for, but it'd just be a matter of purchasing a barbell and some plates after that.

Too bad they don’t ship to California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Getting back on the foam roller last night helped my shoulder/upper back issue.

9 minute row this morning has my lower back spasming, this is fun. Quarantine moustache has come in nicely but still needs to mature.