Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What are good mods for HOI3? I think I played Black Ice years ago and all I remember it was a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

TorakFade posted:

This way no one will ever use it. What's the point of even having it then?

it was a paid feature of a DLC so they can't remove it. another success for the paradox DLC model

TorakFade posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that those complaining about this are the same people that complain about having "mana" to do actions :v:

the reason I complained about it is because it completely hosed up the cultural map of Europe, which in a game about making pretty maps is really as bad as a mechanic can get

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who says it has to be as simply as I:R?

Johan, that's what we're talking about.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is kind of Vicky 2 in general. It slightly predates Paradox's shift to more dynamic systems so while it has some elements that hint at them (like the crisis system), a lot of the game is just set up to force things to happen with nation-specific events and decisions. So the modders just kind of had to work within that framework since Victoria 2 doesn't really have a good way to simulate things more broadly.

I'd also want to add that Vicky 2 is a meaty experience on its own. HPM adds a lot to the game but even though it's a high-quality mod it still has a lot of settings and technical messages popping up as events or decisions. Plus it's much, much more railroaded.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ilitarist posted:

I'm curious how will it work.

To be honest I don't quite understand what POPs do in I:R itself. With Victoria 2 you have a period of great social changes and migration. If I:R was about the Imperial period I'd understand the focus on holding on to urban economy in the wake of the great migration and economy simplification. Same with EU timeline: the world is mostly rural and stays that way by the end of the timeline, and it only starts to change late in the period. You get the raise of burgers but it's not like they were a significant portion of the population. I think some faction/estate system is what you need to represent processes of the timeline.

The Thirty Years War depopulated Germany more than the Black Plague. (Granted, CK2 doesn't handle the massive society shift caused by plague depopulation well either!)

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 17, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Paradox avoids apocalyptic events cause they're not good gameplay. Ameicans get some mild debuffs from a plague that probably killed more than half of them historically. Same for many other events of the era.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Just popping in to say congratulations to whoever is making the feature breakdown videos for not making the Game Director/Dev Team look like a psychopaths staring at us on a black background.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Regarding Vic2 mods, how does NNM compare to the HPM and HFM?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

AnEdgelord posted:

picked up Victoria 2 with all the bells and whistles (dlc) a few days ago and looking at setting things up for my increasingly likely quarantine

I know HPM and HFM are the good mods that make the game good but which one should I install and why?

the mapgoons discord do multiplayer games of vicky 2 pretty often and they helped me learn a ton of stuff.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the mapgoons discord do multiplayer games of vicky 2 pretty often and they helped me learn a ton of stuff.

for our many sins

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm impressed with some of the core mechanics and QoL changes EU4 is getting, I'll definitely try to get back into it when 1.30 hits. I mean they're at least trying to balance trade companies. That's a huge step forward, and they're no longer hardcoded to be Eurocentric.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

The Thirty Years War depopulated Germany more than the Black Plague. (Granted, CK2 doesn't handle the massive society shift caused by plague depopulation well either!)

Thinking about it, it's kind of weird that Victoria 2 doesn't have plague mechanics given that a very famous pandemic occurred in that historical timeframe (the Spanish Flu), and it absolutely is equipped to model sweeping social changes as a response to massive depopulation events.

Like it does have the odd "flu outbreak!" in port provinces where you can choose to quarantine the province or just leave it and hope it doesn't spread, but even with maximum "nah, gently caress it, let it spread", it never really makes much of an impact.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm impressed with some of the core mechanics and QoL changes EU4 is getting, I'll definitely try to get back into it when 1.30 hits. I mean they're at least trying to balance trade companies. That's a huge step forward, and they're no longer hardcoded to be Eurocentric.

Just making AI armies not march all the way across Eurasia constantly would be enough too.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

What are good mods for HOI3? I think I played Black Ice years ago and all I remember it was a mess.

Historical Plausibility Mod has less units than Black ICE, and the research is balanced around how large your country is (in terms of military and industry) and the education tech instead of being locked to certain provinces, on top of making the Chinese Civil War more of a thing and adding events like breaking the yellow river dikes. Since it's HoI 3 it is still janky as hell but I had a few hundred hours in it because I'm broken and liked HoI3.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vicky 2 and HoI3 are the only paradox games I've completely memoryholed and times like these, part of me wants to go back.

e: wait, also Sengoku was a thing

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 18, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vicky 2 and HoI3 are the only paradox games I've completely memoryholed and times like these, part of me wants to go back.

don't forget March of the Eagles

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think one of my biggest disappointments with paradox is the have only really managed to produce 3 good series, EU HoI and Vicky, CK2 being the only exception to this. Everything else they have tried, they haven't really tried and have swiftly abandoned.

In retrospect it's painfully obvious that things like sengku or march of the eagle were never intended to be good games, so why did they even bother in the first place?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Everyone is a genius in retrospect.

Sengoku came out soon after Total War Shogun 2 which was praised as one of the best strategy games ever. So the audience was familiar with the setting and ready for a more complex strategic simulation. It had a lot of focus on characters and even some features that I'd like to see in CK2 - for example advisors were really important and impactful. It didn't fly but CK2 that came out shortly after did have success. Maybe Sengoku would have become popular and we'd have 60 DLCs for it, not CK2, you couldn't have predicted that.

March of the Eagles was originally Napoleon's Ambitions 2, a game made by AGEOD, a French studio that specializes on war-scale wargames. Which is an interesting niche cause you usually see wargames focused on battles or operations and AGEOD make games that are about the whole of the Seven Years War or something. They parted ways and Paradox had a half-done game on their hands so they decided to finish it and add some Paradox flavor.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 19, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
an AGEOD game that ran as smoothly as a Paradox game and had an interface just as intuitive would be a godsend

I learned enough about AGEOD to actually be able to understand it as I play it and I still can't stand it because the whole UI/UX is complete rear end

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Recent Fields of Glory: Empires (not to confuse with Fields of Glory 2) is an AGEOD game that you can actually play even if you're not a fan of 2-hour turns with moving soldiers on a map. It's more of a Paradox game heavily focused on internal economy as well as army composition. So it's not quite a wargame but it's fine and it's challenging. It has its obscure parts like the whole Decadence thing but it's a relatively elegant and good grand strategy game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

I think one of my biggest disappointments with paradox is the have only really managed to produce 3 good series, EU HoI and Vicky, CK2 being the only exception to this. Everything else they have tried, they haven't really tried and have swiftly abandoned.

In retrospect it's painfully obvious that things like sengku or march of the eagle were never intended to be good games, so why did they even bother in the first place?

That's not really saying much, because everything outside of those series have just been one and done standalone games. People seem to like March of Eagles enough to keep slipping it into LPs.

It's pretty common for developer studios to have a few titles that only kinda limp along between big smash hits, and with Paradox games already being pretty niche, limping won't get you far.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

ilitarist posted:

Recent Fields of Glory: Empires (not to confuse with Fields of Glory 2) is an AGEOD game that you can actually play even if you're not a fan of 2-hour turns with moving soldiers on a map. It's more of a Paradox game heavily focused on internal economy as well as army composition. So it's not quite a wargame but it's fine and it's challenging. It has its obscure parts like the whole Decadence thing but it's a relatively elegant and good grand strategy game.

I’ll second this. It’s really good. Features:

It has provinces with pops and an extensive building chain, more than E.U. Rome or TW Rome.

The army system is more involved than Paradox but less involved than TW, and most importantly you can watch the battles get played out turn by turn seeing exactly the chain of events that leads to the outcome.

It has a province (like states in V2) system with options for autobuilding and pop distribution.

It has an involved economy system where playing tall is a valid strategy—you take decadence (the main negative resource) with every conquest so expanding across worthless swathes of barbarian land often isn’t worth it.

It has a rudimentary decision system.

It has resource trading between provinces like E.U. Rome but this is handled automatically, no futzing.

Building and army data are stored in plaintext .csv files and can be easily modded.

Cons: I don’t like the decadence system. The penalty for expansion, certain decisions, and certain advanced buildings is decadence. A country that builds up too much decadence starts regressing, going from a stable empire to an old, decaying, crumbling one. This has mechanic effects like making it harder to maintain loyalty and increasing revolt risk. The overall goal of the game is to build up legacy points (your score) through conquest, culture producing buildings, and Wonders while staging off decadence overload and your eventual empire collapse. The problem is there’s no removing decadence (with rare exceptions), only trying to produce enough culture to keep up with it. So you’re doomed to crumble and fail in the end. Which is a very heavy-handed way to force a certain historical outcome.

Still, it’s probably my favorite Rome game thus far. I modded it myself to remove decadence buildup just in player-owned provinces and I’m having a blast.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Cantorsdust posted:

Cons: I don’t like the decadence system. The penalty for expansion, certain decisions, and certain advanced buildings is decadence. A country that builds up too much decadence starts regressing, going from a stable empire to an old, decaying, crumbling one. This has mechanic effects like making it harder to maintain loyalty and increasing revolt risk. The overall goal of the game is to build up legacy points (your score) through conquest, culture producing buildings, and Wonders while staging off decadence overload and your eventual empire collapse. The problem is there’s no removing decadence (with rare exceptions), only trying to produce enough culture to keep up with it. So you’re doomed to crumble and fail in the end. Which is a very heavy-handed way to force a certain historical outcome.

I can see why this would be annoying but the way you've described it actually sounds really cool lol

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

It has provinces with pops and an extensive building chain, more than E.U. Rome or TW Rome.

The army system is more involved than Paradox but less involved than TW, and most importantly you can watch the battles get played out turn by turn seeing exactly the chain of events that leads to the outcome.

It has a province (like states in V2) system with options for autobuilding and pop distribution.

It has an involved economy system where playing tall is a valid strategy—you take decadence (the main negative resource) with every conquest so expanding across worthless swathes of barbarian land often isn’t worth it.

It has resource trading between provinces like E.U. Rome but this is handled automatically, no futzing.

Building and army data are stored in plaintext .csv files and can be easily modded.

Still, it’s probably my favorite Rome game thus far. I modded it myself to remove decadence buildup just in player-owned provinces and I’m having a blast.

The decadence system is so good. It's the only game that models rise and fall like that, I wouldn't call it railroading to say all empires fall, because they kind of do. Plus if you rise quickly enough you've got time to rise, fall and rise again before the end of the game. Or you can burn super bright, collapse and still have the highest score at the end of the game, kind of the Alexander strategy, which is also super cool and the only game to do anything like that.

Plus it plugs into FoG II, itself a great game. Yes the plugin is grog and awkward as gently caress, but it's worth the price of admission just as a dynamic campaign generator for FoG II, and it can stand on it's own feet as a great game. I never thought I'd say it, but AGEOD really did a great job there, it blows EU:R 2 out the water.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharnakes posted:

The decadence system is so good. It's the only game that models rise and fall like that, I wouldn't call it railroading to say all empires fall, because they kind of do. Plus if you rise quickly enough you've got time to rise, fall and rise again before the end of the game. Or you can burn super bright, collapse and still have the highest score at the end of the game, kind of the Alexander strategy, which is also super cool and the only game to do anything like that.

It's always kind of weird when you read a big gushing post about a game wherein it's revealed the poster modded out like literally the defining feature of the experience lol. Like imagine someone writing a bunch about how they love XCOM and it's so good, then cap it off "oh, permadeath is annoying though so I modded it out. Soldiers can only be wounded."

Like, glad you're enjoying it. But, uh....

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

don't forget March of the Eagles

You sweet summer children who never played Paradox's computer version of Diplomacy. The AI was...special.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

ulmont posted:

You sweet summer children who never played Paradox's computer version of Diplomacy. The AI was...special.

It was published by Paradox, not developed by them.

And the best thing about it was characters reacting during turn resolution.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ilitarist posted:

It was published by Paradox, not developed by them.

It was developed by Paradox.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diplomacy-2005/665958p1.html
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_diplomacy_pc

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Huh, indeed, my mistake.

I didn't want to believe but now I have to face the truth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ilitarist posted:

Paradox avoids apocalyptic events cause they're not good gameplay. Ameicans get some mild debuffs from a plague that probably killed more than half of them historically. Same for many other events of the era.
People say this all the time, but I feel like it's making some assumptions. Like "The player must always feel like they're getting stronger" or "The player must not feel like they're being punished for something they had no control over". OK, fair enough on the last part, but if you're up-front about starting in the Americas being hard mode, an apocalyptic adventure in statecraft, then I feel like you could actually make it enjoyable. Really lean into the apocalypse thing an make it a major regional feature, the progression from pre-contact Americas all the way to the post-apocalyptic remnants fighting off alien invaders.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah

Chomp8645 posted:

It's always kind of weird when you read a big gushing post about a game wherein it's revealed the poster modded out like literally the defining feature of the experience lol. Like imagine someone writing a bunch about how they love XCOM and it's so good, then cap it off "oh, permadeath is annoying though so I modded it out. Soldiers can only be wounded."

Like, glad you're enjoying it. But, uh....

Yeah I mod/cheat most games like that. I have a stressful enough real life that I seek relief from games, not stress. I modded FoE, I play EU4 handicapped with me having unlimited money, I do play XCOM with invincible soldiers. gently caress, I even made a mod for Stardew Valley to pause/slow down time so that I could play one day for as long as I wanted.

I know it’s silly, but it’s fun for me :shrug:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

That sounds like what games are for. For fun. Doesn't sound silly at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People say this all the time, but I feel like it's making some assumptions. Like "The player must always feel like they're getting stronger" or "The player must not feel like they're being punished for something they had no control over". OK, fair enough on the last part, but if you're up-front about starting in the Americas being hard mode, an apocalyptic adventure in statecraft, then I feel like you could actually make it enjoyable. Really lean into the apocalypse thing an make it a major regional feature, the progression from pre-contact Americas all the way to the post-apocalyptic remnants fighting off alien invaders.

no actually randomly losing your toys and achievements with no real input tends to be seen as unfavorable to players

heck I am willing to say most players save scum any losses in things like total war and etc

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo...

Dim Brain: Playing a video game as designed.

Bright Brain: Modding/save scumming away every bad feeling.

Galaxy Brain: Play every game Iron Man style.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah

Yeah I mod/cheat most games like that. I have a stressful enough real life that I seek relief from games, not stress. I modded FoE, I play EU4 handicapped with me having unlimited money, I do play XCOM with invincible soldiers. gently caress, I even made a mod for Stardew Valley to pause/slow down time so that I could play one day for as long as I wanted.

Sometimes just to chill in Vicky 2 I'll play an uncivilized country, cheat in enough research points to reform in a few years, then just chill out and modernize

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

This post makes decadence sound like the best feature of the game, despite your intentions.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Quixzlizx posted:

This post makes decadence sound like the best feature of the game, despite your intentions.

It's the keystone gimmick of the whole game. By design it's supposed to be inevitable that any great empire accrue too much decadence and eventually get dragged down by it. The player's actions make it a "when" question rather than "if". But it's also true that anyone at the bottom has an easier time climbing back up. It's supposed to simulate the rise and fall cycle of civilizations/empires. It's actually pretty cool. I got the game but haven't put too much time into it yet. Maybe corona lock down will give me the opportunity!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Empires is great and its decadence mechanic is great. Reminds me of playing the ryse and fall mod for civ iv back in the day

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Sometimes just to chill in Vicky 2 I'll play an uncivilized country, cheat in enough research points to reform in a few years, then just chill out and modernize

Yeah I like playing Prussia in Vicky 2 as a chillout game because you don't even need to cheat, the game will basically just give you everything you need with no resistance.

I do find more challenging starts can be fun too, though. I've never really gone nuts and done like a Jan Mayen game beyond getting the polar bear generals, but Greece -> reformed Byzantine Empire is a fun one to try because you have basically no military and have to claw territory away from the Ottomans by making strong allies and abusing crises rather than just direct military conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I played vic2 as haiti once while studying for an exam. Made it to secondary power status on the back of prestige and took this sweet screenshot on the way