Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I saw talk of a launch day patch that can be installed on the preload, is that a thing? I checked for updates and it said it didn't find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

explosivo posted:

I saw talk of a launch day patch that can be installed on the preload, is that a thing? I checked for updates and it said it didn't find any.

Hit + and look up in the top left. It should be up to 1.1.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What are y'alls deal breakers that will make you reset? Island design aside as that's unpredictable.

Villagers I'm fine with any.

Fruit I'm fine with any except Pears. I don't want pears.

Airport any color is fine except yellow.

if the game doesn't give me any good island layouts i'll reset, that's all tho

i am tempted to reset till i get scoot but i won't

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

d3lness posted:

Hit + and look up in the top left. It should be up to 1.1.

Mine's on 1.0, but when I look for updates it doesn't find anything. Do I need to re-download to get the new version?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if the game doesn't give me any good island layouts i'll reset, that's all

So wait, what’s the deal with initial layouts? Which one/type isn’t really ideal?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

explosivo posted:

Mine's on 1.0, but when I look for updates it doesn't find anything. Do I need to re-download to get the new version?

It wouldn't hurt. It'll probably sort itself out regardless.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

d3lness posted:

It wouldn't hurt. It'll probably sort itself out regardless.

Oh wait it is on 1.1.0 never mind
Thanks! :downs:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thwomp posted:

So wait, what’s the deal with initial layouts? Which one/type isn’t really ideal?

It's purely how you feel about the layout. You can't change things on the beach so stuff like river mouths and the docks are static. If you have a grand plan for the layout you might need to take note of where everything is and if it fits into your plans

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Quoting this so it doesn't get lost

Tomtrek posted:

Do we know what all the Amiibos do yet? What happens with ones for special characters like KK Slider?

Also please may I have the gang tag please?

Cards for villagers who are in the game will let you invite them to your island (once you unlock that). Special characters will be available at the special photo op place. And I think they both unlock posters.

Thwomp posted:

You can't change the following things via teraforming: where the rivers come out, the size and shape of the beaches, the location of the dock and airport (I think).

So personally, I'm looking for an island where the rivers come out on the east and south sides of my island and will reset until I get one that looks cool to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/misshemlock/status/1240386238147784705

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Why do people care what fruit they get? Just an aesthetic thing? (Fair if so, just wondering because if I recall correctly you could plant trees of any fruit you found on someone else's island if you wanted as you progress in game).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Seabhac posted:

Why do people care what fruit they get? Just an aesthetic thing? (Fair if so, just wondering because if I recall correctly you could plant trees of any fruit you found on someone else's island if you wanted as you progress in game).

it's aesthetics, yeah. and people maybe having gotten them already in older games and wanting variety.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like to eat fruit irl but not every type of fruit and I like cherries and oranges more than pear.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone got that tweet handy that shows tips to keep in mind when choosing your island?

Also I had no idea until today that there were multiple kinds of grass, I am an inattentive moron

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seabhac posted:

aesthetics, yea. It's a binary 'your native fruit sells for x, all other fruit sells for x+more' thing, not like there's one valuable option, it's just a matter of wanting variety for a lot of us.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Seabhac posted:

Your starting fruit is important! They list fruit on your passport.

Fruit is a more intrinsic part of your identity in this game than gender.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Seabhac posted:

I just think they’re neat!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I gotta have a juicy 🍑 on my passport.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
give me oranges or give me death!!!!!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Seabhac posted:

Aesthetic, as other people said, but I like to get apples because I'm from Minnesota and apples are our thing. :) So people may also like to get fruits close to their home's native produce IRL.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Lame. I have to reinstall Pocket Camp.

I already had it linked to my Nintendo account so it's relatively painless. Just taking forever to download the save data.

queeb posted:

how good are these games without internet? i mostly use my switch on the go, and this seems like a good as hell chill game i can play when on the road

I didn't have wifi at home when I played Wild World on the DS and it's perfectly fine. I did trek down to a coffee shop to use the wifi there for trading turnips and that was fun too.

I think as long as you can connect to the internet whenever there's a new patch, you'll have fun.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I need a splash of red next to my name and cherries just don’t cut it. Gonna get apples and try for yellow or red airline.

Gluteus Maximus
Oct 20, 2007

OH LAWD, HE COMIN'
TO TOWN
Apparently, there's a new and improved version of the pattern maker that includes a public database, and supports better quality image conversions. I haven't tested it out myself, but I'll fiddle with it once I get the chance.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Is there still no sign of perfect fruit? Without that feature, native fruits are always worth a lot less than foreign fruits. I'm a peach person myself, but I'd rather not get peaches as my native fruit if they'll always be worth substantially less than other fruits.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

Gang tag please! I was going back and forth on it but dang it, I'd like a gang tag in my life!

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Coon goons for life! May I please have a gangtag?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gluteus Maximus posted:

Apparently, there's a new and improved version of the pattern maker that includes a public database, and supports better quality image conversions. I haven't tested it out myself, but I'll fiddle with it once I get the chance.

Post back with results, I'll add it to the OP after work if it's good

Corbett
Feb 28, 2006
Animal Crossing has been one of my favourite games since Gamecube, I'd love a gang tag please! (Also would be nice to get rid of this lovely newb avatar, if that's okay!)

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

This reminded me to share @chanbanhi’s great twitter/IG account. This should help kill some of the time before midnight:

https://twitter.com/chanbanhi/status/1160995186404671489?s=21

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Infinitum posted:

Could I please also get the tag? Beneath "I WANT NOTHING" if possible, if it wouldn't make my av too long. :shobon:

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
pre-loaded and ready! even with what I've read I have no idea how I'll take to this. I hope I like it!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are you able to visit friend's islands pretty much immediately or is they're a time gate for that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Here from the switch thread to request an AC gang tag please

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Could I please join the gang as well? I’m so hyped that I’ve been doing my best job to get fired so I have even more social distancing time for this game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Infinitum posted:

A gang tag would be a delightful thing. May I please have one?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hosed up if true

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Requesting a gangtag, please.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
if you checked at 9am to see if it unlocked you have a special blessing from nook today

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Infinitum posted:

Please bless me with this tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Asked this upthread and it got buried, guessing I know the answer here but would be neat to confirm if this is known about the game:

I've convinced some friends who are new to Animal Crossing to get the game. With online play/friend codes, is it possible for them to create a character directly on my island, or do they need to create their own and then travel to mine to play together?

Subquestion would be: if they have to travel to mine, can they take up roots there and build a tent/house there like a main character? Or are they more of just a visitor who can (if made 'Best Friend') chop trees and buy stuff, but they never really live on my island like my wife would since she's another account on my local Switch ?