Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What I don’t really understand, is when is this deemed over?

Is it when our healthcare can cope with the projected cases? Is it when we have no more cases? Is it when we stop going exponential?

146 is CXLVI in Roman numerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I just started a job up in Scotland in February but my wife for now is still living in the Midlands. Luckily I'm in England with her for the foreseeable future on lockdown, but I had a bunch of travel booked for the trip back and forth up until May as well as some international travel for conferences. Airlines, hotels, and AirBnB have been very flexible, fully refunding costs up until the end of May.

Trainline, however, state that you can't get a refund - EVEN though I purchased their "Trainline Protect" insurance just in case already more than a month ago -- but can only re-book your tickets, although they generously will not charge a re-booking fee. OK, that would be fine, except that every ticket for the late summer and fall is now listed as £153. So the way they prevent you from actually recouping your losses is by forcing you to spend way more to change the ticket than you would just giving up the ticket in the first place. So basically I'm now on the hook for 4 tickets ranging in price from £20-50.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MeinPanzer posted:

So I just started a job up in Scotland in February but my wife for now is still living in the Midlands. Luckily I'm in England with her for the foreseeable future on lockdown, but I had a bunch of travel booked for the trip back and forth up until May as well as some international travel for conferences. Airlines, hotels, and AirBnB have been very flexible, fully refunding costs up until the end of May.

Trainline, however, state that you can't get a refund - EVEN though I purchased their "Trainline Protect" insurance just in case already more than a month ago -- but can only re-book your tickets, although they generously will not charge a re-booking fee. OK, that would be fine, except that every ticket for the late summer and fall is now listed as £153. So the way they prevent you from actually recouping your losses is by forcing you to spend way more to change the ticket than you would just giving up the ticket in the first place. So basically I'm now on the hook for 4 tickets ranging in price from £20-50.

A friend was supposed to be coming over from the US next week and then on to Cairo. All her flights are being cancelled but American Airlines and British Airways are only offering her vouchers, no refunds.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A friend was supposed to be coming over from the US next week and then on to Cairo. All her flights are being cancelled but American Airlines and British Airways are only offering her vouchers, no refunds.

You're right, sorry -- from airlines I've managed to get vouchers, not full refunds. But I'll take vouchers any day, since I can actually use those and I don't need to, you know, purchase an exorbitantly expensive ticket at some hazy future date to use them.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm not expecting to use my annual season ticket for the train now before it expires in May, so I asked SWR if I can get a refund on the time that's left. They said yes - but only if I take it to the station where I bought it, which is fifty miles away in the town where I normally work, and then I'd have to buy myself a train ticket to get back home. Why they can't process a refund at any of the stations they operate I do not loving know.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

floofyscorp posted:

I'm not expecting to use my annual season ticket for the train now before it expires in May, so I asked SWR if I can get a refund on the time that's left. They said yes - but only if I take it to the station where I bought it, which is fifty miles away in the town where I normally work, and then I'd have to buy myself a train ticket to get back home. Why they can't process a refund at any of the stations they operate I do not loving know.

Can you post it to them? I did that when I cancelled my Greater Anglia ticket a few years ago.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Camrath posted:

Fudge Related Announcement

As you’re all no doubt aware, there’s a bit of a supply crisis going on right now due to mass panic buying and the coronavirus. This has hit my operation particularly hard- in my area you can’t find butter, brown sugar or condensed milk for love nor money. And it’s a bit hard to make fudge without those! In addition rationing being instituted at all my local stores makes acquiring sufficient amounts of what they /do/ have near impossible.

I am putting alternative supply chains in place to make up for this, but there is a lead time involved. Thus the current batch will, I’m afraid, not be able to ship on time.

The announced shipping date was March 26th. Currently It looks like I’ll need to delay that by a week in order to provide time for supplies to make it through and then be converted to fudge. So now the provisional ship-date will be April 2nd.

I can only apologise for this. The UKMT as a community has been absolutely incredible in the support and encouragement of my fledgling business, and is also responsible for a large majority of my online customers. I feel like I am letting down friends and comrades with this, and failing to come through on the good faith you have all shown in me.

If any of my current customers with orders on the books wish for a refund given this delay, please let me know by pm or email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and I will action that immediately. I can only hope that I have not lost your good will or future custom in happier times.

Tl;dr:

* No ingredients, can’t cook
* Exploring alternative supply chains
* Current orders delayed by a week.

I don't think anyone would blame you for this. When all this is over I'll definitely be putting in another order.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whoever complained that the threads were too short and boring post-election needs to have a word with themselves.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Camrath posted:

Fudge Related Announcement

As you’re all no doubt aware, there’s a bit of a supply crisis going on right now due to mass panic buying and the coronavirus. This has hit my operation particularly hard- in my area you can’t find butter, brown sugar or condensed milk for love nor money. And it’s a bit hard to make fudge without those! In addition rationing being instituted at all my local stores makes acquiring sufficient amounts of what they /do/ have near impossible.

I am putting alternative supply chains in place to make up for this, but there is a lead time involved. Thus the current batch will, I’m afraid, not be able to ship on time.

The announced shipping date was March 26th. Currently It looks like I’ll need to delay that by a week in order to provide time for supplies to make it through and then be converted to fudge. So now the provisional ship-date will be April 2nd.

I can only apologise for this. The UKMT as a community has been absolutely incredible in the support and encouragement of my fledgling business, and is also responsible for a large majority of my online customers. I feel like I am letting down friends and comrades with this, and failing to come through on the good faith you have all shown in me.

If any of my current customers with orders on the books wish for a refund given this delay, please let me know by pm or email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and I will action that immediately. I can only hope that I have not lost your good will or future custom in happier times.

Tl;dr:

* No ingredients, can’t cook
* Exploring alternative supply chains
* Current orders delayed by a week.

UKMT Essential Travel Classifications
- work
- shopping
- exercise
- collecting ingredients and going on a pilgrimage to London to offer them to Fudgemaster Camrath

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mebh posted:

Someone nicely summed up the "flattening the curve for a few weeks is BS and we're not going back to normal anytime soon" discussion we've been having on and off in the thread.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...tent=2020-03-19

Good link to send your relatives if they're still being shits.

This can't be accurate. Just because someone has this illness somewhere at some time doesn't mean we have to start closing everywhere all over again right?

That isn't a life at all and I say that as someone who loves being at home in the house. gently caress me running.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to think I've got the roni, but I don't know if I'm just overthinking things and letting anxiety get the better of me.

I had a flu a couple of weeks ago, which was around 5 days of fever and coughing up green poo poo - since then, my chest has been occasionally tight, but coughing brings up some clear mucus and all is good. But last night I woke up feeling short of breath, managed to cough up some more completely clear mucus, felt better if a bit shivery, and went back to sleep. Woke up this morning feeling completely fine. But as the day's worn on my chest is starting to feel tighter, and it's like I can't cough the crap up, it's just stuck there. Still no fever, and no tickle in my throat compelling me to cough, but I kinda need to in order to try and shift whatever's in there.

Ugh, if I had a fever I'd be pretty certain, but because I haven't had one I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I'm just overthinking and worrying over nothing. I guess I'll see what happens tonight - not really looking forward to it :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

MeinPanzer posted:

AirBnB have been very flexible, fully refunding costs

Interesting. I had heard they were keeping their fees whilst refunding the rest, the hosts share which is usually against the preferences the hosts have set. Meaning they're all pissed off and going to sue Airbnb out of existence.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m at “Not sure if iron deficiency or the rona”

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

going to B&Q for some paint before non essential retail gets closed down so I can pass the next week or so at home brightening up the place

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1240641478575230976

All hail the World-King.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 19, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Interesting. I had heard they were keeping their fees whilst refunding the rest, the hosts share which is usually against the preferences the hosts have set. Meaning they're all pissed off and going to sue Airbnb out of existence.

I have a long weekend booked for end of June. I went on Airbnb to see what the cancellation policy was - if you booked before a certain date in March for a holiday to be taken before the same date in April (can't remember the day numbers, 13th? 14th?) they would refund you all. Our trip was booked before that March date but is not til June so if we cancel now we will take a 50% hit. I asked my co-traveller what she wants to do and we're just going to wait and see until the date in June when the whole thing will be forfeit and hoping airbnb will offer full refund if CV still ongoing y then.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's garden bird is a rather pissed-off looking Robin:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Oodles posted:

Is it when our healthcare can cope with the projected cases? Is it when we have no more cases? Is it when we stop going exponential?

I think at one stage there was a plan. It’s just that the plan would lead to the death of about a quarter million people.

This was judged unacceptable once it was actually said out loud. So now the plan is to not have a plan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

This can't be accurate. Just because someone has this illness somewhere at some time doesn't mean we have to start closing everywhere all over again right?

That isn't a life at all and I say that as someone who loves being at home in the house. gently caress me running.
Yup, that plus universal tracking of everyone, which definitely won't be abused by the government that hires indefinite detention rape camps and sends autistic teenagers to die overseas in countries they don't even remember.

And requiring all gatherings to be subject to approval.

And you just know, like the bollock fondler brigade that got brought in at the airports after 9/11, and the shoe checks and liquid bans that followed, this would just become the new normal, they won't let something like that go easily.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1240670815709999104

:sickos:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, that plus universal tracking of everyone, which definitely won't be abused by the government that hires indefinite detention rape camps and sends autistic teenagers to die overseas in countries they don't even remember.

And you just know, like the bollock fondler brigade that got brought in at the airports after 9/11, and the shoe checks and liquid bans that followed, this would just become the new normal, they won't let something like that go easily.

I am extremely confident that somewhere in an SV slidedeck are the words "Virus tracking via facial recognition".

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

radmonger posted:

I think at one stage there was a plan. It’s just that the plan would lead to the death of about a quarter million people.

This was judged unacceptable once it was actually said out loud. So now the plan is to not have a plan.

How the gently caress can you plan in your business, if you don’t know what the plan is. Borders may shut, they may not. Schools are shutting and may open at the end of the summer holidays, or they may not.

Seriously, what the gently caress. I picked the wrong year to come off my anti anxiety meds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I am extremely confident that somewhere in an SV slidedeck are the words "Virus tracking via facial recognition".
Maybe East Asia has the right idea with face masks.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Jesus Christ.

This whole staying at home for ages/problems going out. That I can all deal with, I can understand and empathise with the feeling of needing security. But that article makes me feel fear and loathing on a level I don't usually comprehend.

Surely once we have a vaccine and make it widely available this thing goes the same way as Measles. An irritant/actually dangerous for people with lowered resistance, but something treatable?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It mutates too quickly for a single vaccine, but it'll probably end up more like a seasonal flu once vaccines and natural immunity protect enough of the population.

The problem is getting that to happen slowly enough to not kill millions while not falling for "tech disruptors say, let Priti Patel and the Dom Cum weirdo squad track your every movement and association, there's an app!" type 'solutions'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Will they be providing smart phones for everyone then to keep track? Mine's on its last legs and if the new battery I ordered from China never arrives (and it might not be that anyway), I'll have to get a new one. If govt is going to buy me one I won't waste £100.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A relative has heard from a friend who has a mate in the police that the whole country will be locked down from tomorrow.
Given they have only 20000 army and lack of police (who are already considering cutting services) it's not feasible even if it is true.
I said I think it's just London but the govt is denying it so it will be policy by tomorrow.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

It mutates too quickly for a single vaccine, but it'll probably end up more like a seasonal flu once vaccines and natural immunity protect enough of the population.

The problem is getting that to happen slowly enough to not kill millions while not falling for "tech disruptors say, let Priti Patel and the Dom Cum weirdo squad track your every movement and association, there's an app!" type 'solutions'.

How long do we think that will take?

I think if anything staying at home for long periods just means people will learn to hate Landlords/smug online fucks more. I know it did with myself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Will they be providing smart phones for everyone then to keep track? Mine's on its last legs and if the new battery I ordered from China never arrives (and it might not be that anyway), I'll have to get a new one. If govt is going to buy me one I won't waste £100.
*looks at the DWP/Universal Credit* probably not. People that don't install the app will get smart anklets instead.

Anyway, if anyone fancies idling away some time indoors on trying to get a response (lo) to a non-poo poo possible solution, there's a UBI petition.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lmao the field work for this was conducted when the plan was still to write off 250,000+ lives

wonder if the percentage will have dropped now they've tacitly admitted that their initial handling was a gently caress up?

lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Man I'm glad Boris and all his chums are libertarians, would hate to think that they would use this crisis to push through some authoritarian fash bullshit.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A relative has heard from a friend who has a mate in the police that the whole country will be locked down from tomorrow.
Given they have only 20000 army and lack of police (who are already considering cutting services) it's not feasible even if it is true.
I said I think it's just London but the govt is denying it so it will be policy by tomorrow.

there are rumours/hoaxes like this circulating for everywhere

fw:fw:fw:fw:fw:fw:fw:fw: cornwall being fenced off! tanks on bridge!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

52%. Fifty-two percent.

I think the virus must be a punishment from God

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I've been hearing this kind of stuff drifting through group chats and suchlike for a week now. I fully expect that coppers are being briefed on it but that doesn't mean it's actually happening

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Boris Johnson this morning: there will be no restrictive measures in London

Boris Johnson now: the literal tanks rolling down the streets are just to transport oxygen, what is "truck"?

(don't have an article but I'm reliably told that there are literal tanks rolling down the streets of London rn. To transport oxygen. Obviously)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Of all the people who end up in hospital with coronavirus 52% die.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So when they said nearly half of people approved and took that to mean we were broadly supportive of Boris presumably they meant the majority think hes a useless gently caress?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Oodles posted:

sorry pal we're all on mr bones' wild ride now

More seriously, there's no single day it's 'over'. I imagine that things will begin to transition back to 'normality' once recoveries are outnumbering new cases and we're back below the threshold that can be effectively managed by the health service

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

there are rumours/hoaxes like this circulating for everywhere

fw:fw:fw:fw:fw:fw:fw:fw: cornwall being fenced off! tanks on bridge!

I know I'm being a typical Old with my revolution stories, but: protests in Cairo were particularly big on Fridays (it's the standard day off, like Sundays here). The second Thursday night, Twitter was absolutely full of messages along the lines of "OMG the tanks are rolling in, they're massacring us they're killing us" (which 'they' weren't). Basically fake messages aimed at putting people off going. It didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We were supposed to get our rescue chickens this week but all the collections are suspended now due to excessive demands, everyone is getting chickens it seems.