Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terminally Bored posted:

REmake is still very good if a bit antiquated. Guys being unhelpful and sending Jill/Chris alone into the mansion is explained further in the game. I'd say it's really worth playing through these days.

Check out RE3 demo, it unlocks in about 8 hours on steam today.

I'll keep playing 1 for a while, but I won't commit to finishing it - I don't know how patient I want to be with the fixed camera angles for an entire game. We'll see if it converts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m looking for a game that’s not terribly mentally demanding to play while I’m sick as hell. Any suggestions? I booted us Asscreed before and my reaction time is all kinds of jacked up.

A Short Hike is as undemanding as a game can get while still being good as hell, cleaned up a whole lot of awards as well.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've got Doom Eternal pre-loaded, it's supposed to unlock at 9PM Pacific on Thursday night, and I'll have work until about midnight or so. If I leave my computer on with Steam running, will it automatically begin the decryption process at 9 and be ready to play when I get home, or will I have to hit Play to start it? If it's the latter, can I do that from the Android Steam app?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A good poster posted:

I've got Doom Eternal pre-loaded, it's supposed to unlock at 9PM Pacific on Thursday night, and I'll have work until about midnight or so. If I leave my computer on with Steam running, will it automatically begin the decryption process at 9 and be ready to play when I get home, or will I have to hit Play to start it? If it's the latter, can I do that from the Android Steam app?

I can't be sure if this will work for Doom, but when I preordered and preloaded State of Decay 2 it began the decryption process automatically.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's supposed to but won't always start right away.

It should be fine if you leave things on overnight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1240345386390138880

"First of all, we aren't experts in COVID-19. We make games."

"Empower your employees to buy and expense small technology items they need to support their work (a mouse, keyboard, monitor, docking station, etc.). This could make a huge difference in their well-being and productivity and is totally worth the cost."

This is interesting reading, regardless of what you think of Destiny.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1240345386390138880

"First of all, we aren't experts in COVID-19. We make games."

"Empower your employees to buy and expense small technology items they need to support their work (a mouse, keyboard, monitor, docking station, etc.). This could make a huge difference in their well-being and productivity and is totally worth the cost."

This is interesting reading, regardless of what you think of Destiny.

as a company bungie is probably one of the better employers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bethesda, how can you not do something as simple as make your client actually obey its own goddamn bandwidth-throttling setting for downloads? :psyduck:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

haldolium posted:

Yeah I haven't really been into Destiny for a couple of seasons but I'm consistently impressed by how they treat their employees and stick to their guns saying "we're not fixing this bug immediately because it would require crunch and we don't do that, suck it down"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VodeAndreas posted:

SAM?

http://blog.gib.me/category/sam/

haven't used it in a while but never had any issues with it.

(Standard disclaimer of don't use it in a VAC protected game etc.)

Thanks, that still did it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've never done the early VPN unlock thing but I think I would like to do so for Doom Eternal today, given the circumstances. If I've bought the game and it's preloaded is it as simple as just connecting to a Hong Kong VPN or whatever and launching Steam? Do I have to stay connected to it as long as I want to play before it releases here, or just initially for the early unlock?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So how's the past treatment on preorder stuff for iD Software games?

quote:

Cultist Base Master Level
A remixed version of the campaign level with new challenges and surprises

Is above something that would be available later or something? I don't care about all the other cosmetic stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

haldolium posted:

Yeah I do not know anybody directly who works there but I know industry people in proximity who have said the same. A big part of their motivation in splitting with Activision was apparently to have more control over deadlines etc in order to keep a sane work environment for their staff

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

I've never done the early VPN unlock thing but I think I would like to do so for Doom Eternal today, given the circumstances. If I've bought the game and it's preloaded is it as simple as just connecting to a Hong Kong VPN or whatever and launching Steam? Do I have to stay connected to it as long as I want to play before it releases here, or just initially for the early unlock?

You need to put steam in offline mode

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
A really weird experience on the web version of Steam, looking at the activity log.

A goon friend, Mierenneuker, had posted a few screenshots from The Witcher 2, but it looked like one had a censor filter added, but a new one, and not the usual stuff with a black bar:

Never seen that before, so I of course clicked it:

Huh? Is this a new thing in Steam settings? Seems like it's in the Steam account preferences, but I don't recall seeing this before and at first I thought it was Augmented Steam doing it.
The picture itself didn't have any warnings when looking at the details, so I guess all pics uploaded are being sent to Amazon and Google for scanning?

Anyway, the picture in question was this one:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wow, and to think I didn't even post screenshots of one of the sex scenes. There's six of them. Actually, does the sorceress spanking her apprentice count as seven?
But what can I say, I love dwarfs that sound like a crusty sailor.

Edit: I really need to up in-game brightness more instead of changing the brightness of my monitor. Witcher 2 has lots of weird lighting alongside super detailed textures, but these in-door screenshots are really dark.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 19, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and it was excellent throughout. 18 and a half hours playtime in my save.

I’m at 98% total completion, largely because I have been unable to find who needs a small bag for the Hand to Hand quest. I bought all Lupo’s upgrades and still have a mountain of spirit light so the reward wasn’t an issue, but I’d like to finish that at some point. I must have spoken to all but one of the NPCs at this point and I have no idea who I need to go to.

Still really love the movement in this game, it’s a huge joy just getting around and styling on enemies.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Pretty sure the bag goes to the moki just inside one of the wellspring doors who wants to be an adventurer.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone having any luck VPNing for Doom Eternal? I've tried using NordVPN servers in Australia and Singapore and for both of them it just said "Game unlocks March 19" and didn't even try to unlock.

EDIT: Had to log out of the Steam app on my phone.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 19, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Veotax posted:

Anyone having any luck VPNing for Doom Eternal? I've tried using NordVPN servers in Australia and Singapore and for both of them it just said "Game unlocks March 19" and didn't even try to unlock.

EDIT: Had to log out of the Steam app on my phone.

Yeah I ended up paying $2 for an NZ VPN from Windscribe, never done it before but it was super easy. Also I think if you're willing to buy on the Windows Store instead of Steam you can get an early unlock REALLY easily there by just changing your windows system settings to another region.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I took a few swings at it with Nord, but wasn’t able to get much luck. I’ll just wait it out I suppose.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A game I want to be finished already so I can play it: An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Looks like Nightdive did something with Sin Gold.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

A game I want to be finished already so I can play it: An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs

It's made by one of the writers on Hypnospace Outlaw, so I have very high hopes.

https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1239588320461705216

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Disposable Scud posted:

Looks like Nightdive did something with Sin Gold.

Yes.

quote:

Hello everyone!

A new update for SiN is available now! SiN has now become SiN: Gold and comes with the following changes and enhancements:

Features
Added 2015's "Wages of SiN" expansion
Added modernized Steam master server support
Added and restored editing SDK
Added support for additional 16:9 video resolutions
Restored/uncensored various original game assets

General Improvements
Optimizations to math, container types, and search algorithms
Restored support for *.sin pack files, re-packed assets
Removed obsolete IPX networking support
Restored original sound and music engine
Changed video format to open-source/patent-free OGV/Theora

Fixes
Fixed crash in Docks cinematic
Fixed incorrect behavior in Thug AI
Fixed undefined camera position and occasional crash in Wages of SiN ending cinematic
r_palettemode cvar for software mode now reads and writes correct configuration variable
Fixed memory corruption issue during multiplayer initialization
cl_maxfps default changed to 200 to avoid issues with game running too fast
Repaired issue with extremely loud sounds on menu screens when FPS is too high
Fixed possible soft lock when using menu hotkeys while inside an in-game computer console
Restored missing assets for Beecadrone enemy

To celebrate this update, we have a -20% off offer running for a week! So now the best time to grab the latest version, either for yourself or for a friend!

Enjoy the update and let us know what you think!

Cheers,
Daniel,
Nightdive Studios.

But apparently this is "a prelude to a full remaster", so I don't know if you'd really want to buy it. It's also a free update for everyone who previously owned SiN on Steam.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes.

But apparently this is "a prelude to a full remaster", so I don't know if you'd really want to buy it. It's also a free update for everyone who previously owned SiN on Steam.

SiN Episodes #2 when

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Half expected to see "made the titties bigger" as a feature for the update.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Givin posted:

Half expected to see "made the titties bigger" as a feature for the update.

I think that's what "restored missing assets" means

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Why would you play SiN nobody even liked it at the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
More importantly, why would you remaster it?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've played the demo back in the day and the interactivity was rather good. Then I've played the full version years later and the quality drops off as you go on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So what's the point of preloading if the decryption is happening at about the same speed that the download would have?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SirSamVimes posted:

So what's the point of preloading if the decryption is happening at about the same speed that the download would have?
Nothing, there's an undercurrent of people on gig connections who've just stopped preloading because the download is usually faster.

E. The obvious beneficiary is people who aren't on gig fiber I guess.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Why doesn't everyone have internet as fast as me? This is a concept I cannot fathom!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played it and remember enjoying it way more than Half Life at the time. It was a really good FPS.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

socialsecurity posted:

Why doesn't everyone have internet as fast as me? This is a concept I cannot fathom!

I meant more along the lines of "Is there any reason for me to use this feature", I of course understand that other people definitely have reasons to use the feature.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

Nothing, there's an undercurrent of people on gig connections who've just stopped preloading because the download is usually faster.

I’m currently in a hotel and it’s faster for me to decrypt on release day than spend the 14 hours trying to download once released.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

I had lovely internet when human revolution came out and ended up deleting my preload since it was quicker to redownload it at 1MB/sec than let it decrypt. Their decryption has always been pretty slow.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

I think that's what "restored missing assets" means

http://www.nextdimension.org/sinsteam/ :nws:*

I'm the noteboard that has Monica Lewinsky as the employee of the year.

*If you are forced to work from home right now you'll be fine

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mierenneuker posted:

http://www.nextdimension.org/sinsteam/ :nws:*

I'm the noteboard that has Monica Lewinsky as the employee of the year.

*If you are forced to work from home right now you'll be fine

I’m the package label that went from “chips a whore” to “hmm...cookies”