Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

christmas boots posted:

TBF it was weird when he started banging the wife of the guy he killed.

I don't know if it's a thing, but I would imagine that, because some guys get obsessed with Japanese woman, I'm sure there are plenty of Japanese women obsessed with Americans.

When I was in college, 20 years ago or so, I had many friends that were Japanese. Most of them were dating white dudes that had no particular interest in Asians. Sure, I knew people with "Yellow Fever" but none of my Japanese friends would date them. They preferred just normal white boys who didn't really care what their race was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

christmas boots posted:

TBF it was weird when he started banging the wife of the guy he killed.

Wasn't it depicted that way? I remember it being weird but making a strange sort of sense.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you kill someone you're basically required to shtup their widow.

I'm pretty sure it's in the Bible

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you kill someone you're basically required to shtup their widow.

I'm pretty sure it's in the Bible

Nah you have to gently caress your brothers widow and make your nephews your sons.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
What if I kill a woman, do I have to gently caress her widower?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tom Cruise was under house arrest under the orders of Katsumoto and started taking care of Taka's kids while detoxing iirc

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

beanieson posted:

I mean, you don't have to but why be impolite?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

beanieson posted:

Dude you're supposed to add "asking for a friend" to these even if it is just decorum.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

beanieson posted:

Dude if you want to gently caress you could just ask me and leave my wife out of it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

rydiafan posted:

Dude if you want to gently caress you could just ask me and leave my wife out of it.

pm sent

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

Nah, bible says you need to pay a fine to the guy for wrecking his property, its rough.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

rydiafan posted:

Don't bring me into this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Karatela posted:

Nah, bible says you need to pay a fine to the guy for wrecking his property, its rough.

From what I hear that guy isn't wrecking anything

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hyperlynx posted:

Wasn't it depicted that way? I remember it being weird but making a strange sort of sense.

I mean yeah. But considering he only spends one winter with them it seems like an awfully quick time to go from hating his guts to being in love with them (although they didn’t actually gently caress)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apparently there's no John Hopkins University. It's Johns Hopkins University.

In my defence I don't live in the US and I've only ever heard it referenced in passing in TV shows and stuff and it's a really fuckin' weird first name. (I googled it and he's named after his grandfather Johns Hopkins, whose mother's maiden name was Johns and she decided to give it to her son as a first name.)

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:16 on Mar 19, 2020

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In my defence I don't live in the US and I've only ever heard it referenced in passing in TV shows and stuff and it's a really fuckin' weird first name. (I googled it and he's named after his grandfather Johns Hopkins, whose mother's maiden name was Johns and she decided to give it to her son as a first name.)

Wait gently caress, it's named after a single dude? Not like, two dudes' surnames? Huh.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

My father taught at JHU and I went to school with a kid named Johns (he went by "Jack"), so it never occurred to me that it might be a weird first name until I left that little bubble when I went to college.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The cop in pitch black is named Johns

e: I guess as a last name

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I didn't just figure it out, but it took me decades to realize why OJ Simpson was nicknamed "The Juice".

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Flyball posted:

I didn't just figure it out, but it took me decades to realize why OJ Simpson was nicknamed "The Juice".

Interestingly enough it's not because of his name "OJ" but because he took a lot of steroids.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

This is sort of a local shibboleth. If you hear people pronounce it as John you can tell they're not from the area.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've got a tendency to assume that famous people who made famous stuff before I was born are long dead.

Well, not only is William Gibson still alive, he has a Twitter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

I've got a tendency to assume that famous people who made famous stuff before I was born are long dead.

He released a book last month and has been doing a lot of press

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lynyrd Skynyrd is a corruption of Le Nerd Ce Canard.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

I was very surprised when Dick Van Dyke endorsed Bernie because I thought he'd been dead for ages

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Jerry Cotton posted:

What the everliving gently caress are you talking about?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aggro posted:

What the everliving gently caress are you talking about?

Forget it, Aggro. It's Jerrycottontown.

e: I admit though that I always have to double-check my memory of the origin of the name, just because it sounds like one of those bullshit stories kids make up about bands and I always worry I've misremembered.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Mar 20, 2020

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have you seen their gym teacher’s insta? My dude’s ducklip game is fire

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Veib posted:

I was very surprised when Dick Van Dyke endorsed Bernie because I thought he'd been dead for ages

Until the show Community came out, I was convinced that Chevy Chase was dead.
I don't know why, no one ever told me he was, I just thought so.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
About once a year I think to myself, John Madden died awhile ago, right?

Nope.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is how that Mandela Effect poo poo happens.

Except I don't understand why people thought Mandela himself died in prison, considering he was president of South Africa for years after the end of apartheid. Which raises the question, was there a famous anti-apartheid activist who did die in prison in the 80s?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Phy posted:

Except I don't understand why people thought Mandela himself died in prison, considering he was president of South Africa for years after the end of apartheid. Which raises the question, was there a famous anti-apartheid activist who did die in prison in the 80s?

Your flaw in line of thinking is a gross misunderstanding of how much attention people pay to the world around them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phy posted:

Stephen Biko, but in 1977.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Have you seen their gym teacher’s insta? My dude’s ducklip game is fire

Oh but also MG.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Ranch is a flavor, ranch dressing is not a flavor. Ranch dressing is ranch flavored dressing. I’ve been avoiding other ranch flavored things my whole life because I don’t like ranch dressing. I’m 37.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Forget it, Aggro. It's Jerrycottontown.

e: I admit though that I always have to double-check my memory of the origin of the name, just because it sounds like one of those bullshit stories kids make up about bands and I always worry I've misremembered.

I know it's not worth it but I'm going to post it anyways because questionable etymology itt

quote:

At Burns' suggestion, the group settled on Leonard Skinnerd, a mocking tribute to P.E. teacher Leonard Skinner at Robert E. Lee High School. Skinner was notorious for strictly enforcing the school's policy against boys having long hair. Rossington dropped out of school, tired of being hassled about his hair. The more distinctive spelling "Lynyrd Skynyrd" was being used at least as early as 1970. Despite their high school acrimony, the band developed a friendlier relationship with Skinner in later years, and invited him to introduce them at a concert in the Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum. Skinner also allowed the band to use a photo of his Leonard Skinner Realty sign for the inside of their third album.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Faustian Bargain posted:

Ranch is a flavor, ranch dressing is not a flavor. Ranch dressing is ranch flavored dressing. I’ve been avoiding other ranch flavored things my whole life because I don’t like ranch dressing. I’m 37.

Are you certain about this? What is the flavor like?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Are you certain about this? What is the flavor like?

It’s very similar to ranch dressing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dunno if you guys have ever tasted a ranch, but.....not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

We don't have ranch dressing here, I assumed that ranch flavoured things were ranch dressing flavoured things