Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the gwent music started playing in my head just by looking at that picture. my brain has been damaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You're gonna burn your catapult using that card. Use villentretenmerth instead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's his hand not on the field, dummy

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah that's the good stuff right there

loving hell Roach is so god drat frustrating to ride sometimes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

What's worth getting in the combat tree besides Muscle Memory? Like, I want to buy Precise Blows, but it won't let me until I spend 3 more points on other combat stuff.

Boosting my Strong Attack hardly seems worth it when my general combat pattern is a flurry of fast strikes, jump back, use a Sign, repeat.

Also, I guess I'm stupid but...I don't know how to use Active Shield? It instantly explodes every time I try to use it.

Fleet Footed.

Rend, if you're not opposed to crushing tougher enemies.

Whirl is also amusing against weaker enemies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I do not like that the button to jump is the same as the button to jump off the horsey

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like i didn't notice roach being quite so bad the first time I played but now that I have RDR2 (with all its flaws, even) to compare it to...yeah it's a little janky, huh

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like i didn't notice roach being quite so bad the first time I played but now that I have RDR2 (with all its flaws, even) to compare it to...yeah it's a little janky, huh

One thing that would make it a ton better would be how RDR2 (I think) and Assassins Creed handle calling the horse. I get that it needs to spawn behind you but at least in AC, the horse runs to catch up with your pace and you can hop on in stride.

With W3 you have to backtrack to get his stupid rear end off a hill our out of a bush or something

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just turn around and call it again. :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes but that means stopping and that causes me precious extra seconds that I just dont have

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We need a mod that just makes Roach appear directly behind you. Out of thin air. :stare:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I would like it if the mod also summons a barn for Roach to appear on

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

isk posted:

I would like it if the mod also summons a barn for Roach to appear on

Or a wall that he clips and can’t escape.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I respecced out of Fleet Footed and literally couldn't play the game on death march any more. My Geralt spends 90% of his time dodging around.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've never need fleet footed for that. if you're side stepping you have a million invincibility frames anyway

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i've never need fleet footed for that. if you're side stepping you have a million invincibility frames anyway

I'm pretty sure you do not technically have iframes if you don't have fleet footed.

Joey Freshwater posted:

To this day I'm not sure whether the "just stand in the way of your opponent" technique for winning races was intended or not.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

i found firestream extremely bad, melt armor is pretty useful though

i don't even want to put ranks in any of the secondary modes, seems like a waste when the normal modes are perfectly fine and powerful on their own. maybe Puppet but even then i just want the cheevo

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm pretty sure you do not technically have iframes if you don't have fleet footed.

You have iframes without it, but all AoE stuff gets you without fleet footed. Also it allows you forward dodging with invulnerability.
People think evade doesn't have iframes because invulnerability is briefly disabled if you just attacked, used a sign, dodged/evaded or got hit - so you still do evade animation as normal but without iframe in it and get hit.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 20, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The White Dragon posted:

i don't even want to put ranks in any of the secondary modes, seems like a waste when the normal modes are perfectly fine and powerful on their own. maybe Puppet but even then i just want the cheevo

alt-Yrden is very good and alt-Quen is decent

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
People seem to say either that Fleet Footed is godly, or that it's pointless if you know how to dodge.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

People seem to say either that Fleet Footed is godly, or that it's pointless if you know how to dodge.

I guess in a large scale sense, all upgrades are pointless if you know how to play perfectly without them

GrossMurpel posted:

To this day I'm not sure whether the "just stand in the way of your opponent" technique for winning races was intended or not.

I dunno if that's what they set out to do, but I'm not sure how you'd win in any other way. You don't have enough stamina even with the best saddle to keep in front, blocking your opponents with roach's rear end is the only other trick in the bag I can think of.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's weird that there are gallons of steroids for Geralt but none for his horse

I just assume that if a skill in a videogame is so easy that even I can get the hang of it, it may not need any boosts.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just found a tombstone that said

"Here Lies [Name}

He collected Witcher Swords

He only had one, but he tried really hard"

This game cracks me up sometimes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Just found a tombstone that said

"Here Lies [Name}

He collected Witcher Swords

He only had one, but he tried really hard"

This game cracks me up sometimes

I just did the paper chase quest in B&W which is literally just running back and forth collecting banking forms and yeah this game can be really funny sometimes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just did the paper chase quest in B&W which is literally just running back and forth collecting banking forms and yeah this game can be really funny sometimes.
It's also one big reference to "The Place That Sends You Mad" in the Twelve Tasks of Asterix film. Permit A38 and that scene where the tellers are busy chatting with each other as Geralt desperately tries to get their attention are lifted directly from the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5kwSap9Ug

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Doc M posted:

It's also one big reference to "The Place That Sends You Mad" in the Twelve Tasks of Asterix film. Permit A38 and that scene where the tellers are busy chatting with each other as Geralt desperately tries to get their attention are lifted directly from the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5kwSap9Ug

Ha, I had no idea. This game is full of deep cuts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

You have iframes without it, but all AoE stuff gets you without fleet footed. Also it allows you forward dodging with invulnerability.
People think evade doesn't have iframes because invulnerability is briefly disabled if you just attacked, used a sign, dodged/evaded or got hit - so you still do evade animation as normal but without iframe in it and get hit.

i don't think this is true at all. poking once with a sword/sign and then sidestepping is the way you need to survive through levels 1 through 13 or so on death march

edit: maybe people are conflating sidestepping and rolling? sidestepping has crazy iframes. rolling does not.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 20, 2020

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I had just finished another playthrough of BotW when I fired up the Witcher 3 again, and I cannot tell you the profound sadness I felt when I couldn't backflip off of Roach and slow-mo snipe a drowner with my crossbow in mid-air.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I honestly couldn't tell the difference between when I had Fleet Footed on or off except that I could dodge directly into an attack and not take damage with it on. Otherwise I just had to not do that and it was fine.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'd guess the split is between people who use Quen and people who use yrden. Dodging is way easier when all your enemy's attacks are a third as fast. Quen sucks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd guess the split is between people who use Quen and people who use yrden. Dodging is way easier when all your enemy's attacks are a third as fast. Quen sucks.

Quen's great but it only gives you room for 1 fuckup per cast. Yrden is really nice but when a sidestep takes you across about half of the warded area, its not actually great for anything besides one or two large entities.

e: vvvv way better ways, imo. Gourmet early game and Ekhidna decoction mid to late game. Ekimmara on top if you need it. Swallow kind of sucks, but White Rafford's isn't bad in an emergency either.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 20, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Quen bubble can heal you. That can be pretty useful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, I just find Yrden too irritating to use because I'm constantly dodging out of it. I hate ghosts. I'm going the Griffin path, so I find Quen pretty useful because it lets me just eat arrows to the face while I close in on archers, and in a group of enemies I'm constantly building up enough Adrenaline from hacking and slashing to throw up another Quen or scatter everyone with Igni.

I also recently realized that I'm loving up by not visiting taverns. Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit are easy to find lying around, other alcohols not so much. And Balisse Fruit is apparently worth its weight in gold.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Halloween Jack posted:

And Balisse Fruit is apparently worth its weight in gold.

I think that one's best found in White Orchard.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress this game runs my laptop CPU hot. I should clean it out tomorrow

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

e: vvvv way better ways, imo. Gourmet early game and Ekhidna decoction mid to late game. Ekimmara on top if you need it. Swallow kind of sucks, but White Rafford's isn't bad in an emergency either.

gourmet's got its own benefits on death march early on just because there's no natural health regen but i don't know how it could possibly replace held quen as a way to fill up your health bar during active combat, until you get that other stuff you listed late game. it also doesn't break after a single hit like passive quen does!

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
On this Death March playthrough I've been putting points into the adrenaline points revival category, and it has saved me more than a couple of times already.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

gourmet's got its own benefits on death march early on just because there's no natural health regen but i don't know how it could possibly replace held quen as a way to fill up your health bar during active combat, until you get that other stuff you listed late game. it also doesn't break after a single hit like passive quen does!

On death march, I use Griffin techniques and gourmet early on and dodge a lot so I basically always have quen up. Quen gives you one free gently caress up, gourmet gives you enough in-combat healing for another. I also use Igni a lot early on for crowd control. Gourmet won't let you take a ton of damage at once but it will extend your healing through a long fight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah I find Igni just does Aard's job better than Aard. Aard is just for opening sekrit doors and knocking down flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Every new playthrough I always tell myself that I'm going to do a crossbow build but I never do. Normal difficulty maybe worth it just to gently caress around, but too scared to try it on Death March.