Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

They have an actual axe in the cockpit, too.

Without going into details, I have on occasion flown armed on commercial flights and the rules prohibit me from bring a knife on board. Pistol: fine. Knife: no.

It's me, Barry Switzer, former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

nm posted:

Not all cooks are chefs.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This. In this context, "chef" means sous chef or executive chef. They run the functions of kitchen manager and supervisor.

Ah cool, thanks chaps!

Good thread BTW, very interesting.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I don't exactly have a question, but I wanted to say thanks for running what looks like a pretty good restaurant with decent pricing.

I'm used to the complete dumpster fire that is SEA, where they decided to remodel the entire food court, kick out many of the existing restaurants, and then replace them with equally overpriced venues serving the same food the previous tenants did, but under a different brand.

It had a local burger place that was "coming soon!" for two years, before the port finally decided, "gently caress it, this is gonna be a Subway serving $9 footlongs now".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good poo poo op

Head's up, fried/tempura chicken seasoned with nori powder is the next hot trend (it's delicious and effortless)
https://oceans-nadia.com/user/42635/recipe/162756

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Good poo poo op

Head's up, fried/tempura chicken seasoned with nori powder is the next hot trend (it's delicious and effortless)
https://oceans-nadia.com/user/42635/recipe/162756

Solid recipe, with solid advice at the end of it.

Google Translate posted:

point

If you touch too much chicken during frying, your clothes will peel off.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

As a real professional Japanese-to-English translator, I confirm the advice in the above post

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
New website is up!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Congrats!

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost
Just wanted to say thank you for making this thread, Sandwich Anarchist! Fascinating insight. :)

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....
I have always wanted to take a 747 and make a diner out of it and call it the tarmac..

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just realized I stopped at your place two years ago. The wings were good as hell and I got a free beer because I moved so some ladies could sit together.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Free beer.

At the airport.

Pretty sure beer can't get better than that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We do a lot of cool stuff for people. We make enough money that we can afford to. A regular occurrence is bar patrons overhearing me on the line coaching cooks to stop skimping on poo poo, these people are paying good money for good food, we aren't trying to screw people here etc, and thanking me lol

I also tend to give out anything I make for pics or testing, or if we are up something and the rush just died; free food going out to tables all the time, rather than in the trash.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I went to breakfast at a diner in St. Paul that had this fancy orange juice making machine with a hopper of oranges and etc., and the bartender made a couple extra glasses by accident and asked me if I wanted one, in what seemed like an offer for free fresh orange juice because was just going to dump it, and then he charged me $5 for it!!

welp that’s my story of restaurant based injustice and it’s interaction with my extreme conflict avoidance thanks for doing right by your customers

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The flight attendants at the airline I used to work for would use free booze as a way to placate annoyed passengers during off schedule operations. Even if you're having a bad day it's hard to be pissed at the person who just gave you a free beer.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Went through MCO yesterday, didn't have enough time to sit but got a chicken sandwich from the to-go counter and it was excellent. Very pretty restaurant!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Huh, my SO flies to Orlando for work once or twice a year. Showed her this thread and she says she’s definitely eaten here three or four times before. Her only negative comment was that she didn’t have many options as someone who doesn’t eat meat.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Just jumping into say I had an amazing meal there in August. Wife and I had a 3pm flight, had an hour drive from Cocoa Beach and were starving. Was going to grab some horrible fast poo poo, but a family friend had heard how amazing you are. Had an incredible meal. We had like a jalapeño corn bread app with amazing sandwiches. Over the top good food. We were actually surprised at how affordable the bill was. Great place.

Also, this is a great read! Thanks for posting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Huh, my SO flies to Orlando for work once or twice a year. Showed her this thread and she says she’s definitely eaten here three or four times before. Her only negative comment was that she didn’t have many options as someone who doesn’t eat meat.

Our salads are excellent and rotate seasonally, and we have a large selection of sides, many of which are vegetarian or can easily be made so without sacrificing flavor. But I mean, we are a southern restaurant, so being adverse to meat isn't going to get you very far.

We have a great entree soup on right now, as well as pick 3 sodes deal, so she should have more options if she comes back through.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

Just jumping into say I had an amazing meal there in August. Wife and I had a 3pm flight, had an hour drive from Cocoa Beach and were starving. Was going to grab some horrible fast poo poo, but a family friend had heard how amazing you are. Had an incredible meal. We had like a jalapeño corn bread app with amazing sandwiches. Over the top good food. We were actually surprised at how affordable the bill was. Great place.

Also, this is a great read! Thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed it. I try as hard as I can to buck expectations exactly like we did with you. It's funny you mention your bill, as our prices are one of our most common complaints somehow. We charge the same as a loving Chili's, but actually source local ingredients and make real food.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
do you have a doppelganger restaurant since orlando has that weird mirrored terminal situation

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

do you have a doppelganger restaurant since orlando has that weird mirrored terminal situation

Looks like it’s Outback:
https://upgradedpoints.com/orlando-international-airport-mco

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Glad you enjoyed it. I try as hard as I can to buck expectations exactly like we did with you. It's funny you mention your bill, as our prices are one of our most common complaints somehow. We charge the same as a loving Chili's, but actually source local ingredients and make real food.

I am not saying it was cheap, but we knew eating at an airport chili’s was going to be 20 bucks each. For the same money we had some legit cuisine. Maybe saying it was an amazing value is a better way to say it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nope, we're one of a kind.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is more general than airport specific, but since coming back to the US I've gotten sick of restaurants because basically anywhere that isn't explicitly "ethnic" has the same twelve boring things on the menu and the only vegetable is a potato. Some sort of generic salad if you're lucky. Why is there so little variety?

That's just like living in Catalunya, if it's any consolation.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Haven't been to Orlando, but after looking at that menu it will definitely be on my list if I ever fly through there.
Seeing some of the items, it all looks pretty good and by far ahead of most of what I've ever seen in other airports.

I'm surprised you don't have more breakfast hits on that menu like biscuits and gravy?

Either way, keep up the awesome work it looks really good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oxphocker posted:

I'm surprised you don't have more breakfast hits on that menu like biscuits and gravy?

We...do?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I have a flight next month, I will discretely ask if there are any stairs at your terminal.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so what's it like working through the beginning of World War Z?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

so what's it like working through the beginning of World War Z?

We're on a hiring freeze, sales are steadily dropping. We're just trying to prepare for the worst at this point.

We have set up a temporary paid leave fund for employees that have to miss work due to their children not being in school, so that's good at least. Just waiting for the poo poo to hit the fan.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Spring break the busiest time of our year, and it is also convention season. We have taken some very, very bad hits recently.

Completely wrong thread, me. An airport restaurant must be suffering holy poo poo.

Hurt Whitey Maybe fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 13, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Tax busy season is basically group quarantine anyway. Just gotta keep the kidhavers away.

Spring break the busiest time of our year, and it is also convention season. We have taken some very, very bad hits recently.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Illegal Hen
Is Florida offering any form of aid for businesses at this time? Isn't there talk of federal aid available?

How is your company's sick leave & health plans for you & your staff? I remember listening to a podcast where people in food service are really pressured to stay at work when sick because they can't afford to take sick leave. Hopefully you haven't had to forcefully send workers home.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is Florida offering any form of aid for businesses at this time? Isn't there talk of federal aid available?

How is your company's sick leave & health plans for you & your staff? I remember listening to a podcast where people in food service are really pressured to stay at work when sick because they can't afford to take sick leave. Hopefully you haven't had to forcefully send workers home.

The parent company doesn't provide paid sick leave, but we do offer pretty good insurance plans. We have definitely had to make labor cuts, sales have just dropped too low too fast. It's a pretty horrible situation that I can't really do too much about.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Best of luck and I hope your company can weather it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Munin posted:

Best of luck and I hope your company can weather it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Be well dude, that TSA guy coming up positive can’t be helping. :(

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
How's it going over there this week?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

How's it going over there this week?

Abysmally. We've gone from 40-50k in sales daily, to 2500. I'm running 77% labor with a skeleton crew, and layoff talk has begun. I'm apparently not exempt from that, either.

So I guess we'll see if my career is over soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I'm so sorry dude. I got laid off from my restaurant gig 2 days ago. I am so thankful I am making a career transition and have a part-time hospital gig to keep the lights on. Many of my friends, family and coworkers have found themselves suddenly unemployed.

Florida, but especially Orlando, lives and dies by its tourism industry.