Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Rand Brittain posted:

Worst books in the nWod:

1) Beast: the Primordial
2) Changing Breeds
3) Mummy: the Curse (1e)
4) Book of the Deceived
5) ????

But really, 3 and 4 aren't nearly as bad as 1 and 2, and it's hard to think of a 5 that's not significantly less bad than 4.

2) World of Darkness: Changing Breeds
3) Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes
4) Proverbial Monsters
5) Mummy: the Curse First Edition

Including every single Beast supplement is redundant with having the corebook in there, but I had to include the book that introduced the terrible Insatiables.

Proverbial Monsters is a short, forgotten release with monsters based on folkloric sayings, like how all that glitters is not gold because it might be Glitra, the shiny gold monster that kills you! and if you step on a crack you break your mother's back because it might be Dolichthon, the earth monster hiding in cracks that kills you! and then your mother helps carry your coffin and it's heavy.

ulmont posted:

Admin edit: don't quite PII either!!

Of course he has World of Darkness: Changing Breeds proudly displayed on his bookshelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Changling 20 is free today, check it out

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/210616/Changeling-The-Dreaming-20th-Anniversary-Edition

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I Am Just a Box posted:

2) World of Darkness: Changing Breeds
3) Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes
4) Proverbial Monsters
5) Mummy: the Curse First Edition

Including every single Beast supplement is redundant with having the corebook in there, but I had to include the book that introduced the terrible Insatiables.

Proverbial Monsters is a short, forgotten release with monsters based on folkloric sayings, like how all that glitters is not gold because it might be Glitra, the shiny gold monster that kills you! and if you step on a crack you break your mother's back because it might be Dolichthon, the earth monster hiding in cracks that kills you! and then your mother helps carry your coffin and it's heavy.

I would argue that if we aren't just lumping all the Beast books together (which we should), then The Beast Players Guide is much worse than conquering heroes. Insatiables are poorly written and mechanically inconsistent but they aren't an entire splat of people supernaturally compelled to rape that should be celebrated every single time they pass up an opportunity to rape someone because being a recovering rapist is hard you guys you just don't understand how hard it is to BE A RAPIST

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I would argue that if we aren't just lumping all the Beast books together (which we should), then The Beast Players Guide is much worse than conquering heroes. Insatiables are poorly written and mechanically inconsistent but they aren't an entire splat of people supernaturally compelled to rape that should be celebrated every single time they pass up an opportunity to rape someone because being a recovering rapist is hard you guys you just don't understand how hard it is to BE A RAPIST

I forgot about the exceptionally horrible Tailassi, but I also gave the Player's Guide a pass because, at least as I recall, it has other sections written by people taking the position that Beasts are just horrible and let's not pretend they aren't.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IMO Inferno was also not good, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's worse than Mummy 1e.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

I forgot about the exceptionally horrible Tailassi, but I also gave the Player's Guide a pass because, at least as I recall, it has other sections written by people taking the position that Beasts are just horrible and let's not pretend they aren't.

It does, but by that same token so does Conquering Heroes, it's just all in the Origin Stories of the Heroes where they're almost universally sympathetic characters who've been hosed over by Beasts.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Dawgstar posted:

When Powerchords was funny and not terrible, it talked about the deep reverence Brucato had for radio stations that dared to play stuff like Bruce Springsteen or Prince in the 70s and 80s. Can you imagine!

The aborted F&F on said book speculates that Brucato mostly uses neo-paganism to be horny on main 24/7. It featured the vaguely unsettling dedication to "my Beloved Feral Sweeteheart; her husband; their son; and all their Beloved Trybe." Imagine wanting Brucato around your kid.

What little credit I'll give Brucato on the music one is that it seemed like almost all the WW writers seemed to think a handful of the most iconic bands in punk, goth, and industrial music were the cutting edge of counter-culture indie music.

Hell, I was in high school in rural america when vampire came out, and I still knew it was daft that the succubus club apparently played nothing but Sisters of Mercy albums some nights. For an IP that was something of the goth zeitgeist in RPG form, it was remarkable shallow in how much the writers seemed aware of the genre.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

IMO Inferno was also not good, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's worse than Mummy 1e.

Aw, I miss playing Mummy 1e. It may have been anachronistic and built by people who were mostly familiar with oWoD and most of whom also wrote a truly awful book for Requiem (Belial's Brood), but it had some redeeming qualities. Cults, Judges, inverse-vampires, backwards D&D, etc. Inferno was just too unimaginative to even really dislike. Just the absolutely most boring demons (and most boring Akathartoi) in all of the nWoD.

I recognize I'm probably the only person on this board who liked playing Mummy 1e.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
mummy had reverse vampires? please elaborate

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

No, it's Jinx. Here's her description:

quote:

A tough-eyed mix of German and Choctaw heritage, Jinx is 16 years old with rough-chopped chin-length hair dyed (badly) in blue and purple streaks. Smeary dark mascara and an array of fierce facial piercings accentuate her face. Overlarge ragged death-metal T-shirts conceal her solid athletic build. A former gymnast, Jinx keeps in shape with rigorous exercise, skateboarding, and an especially risky form of parkour. Hoodies, torn leggings, and a beat-up Utilikilt compliment her battered Doc Martins and a thrift-shop biker jacket decorated with whatever Jinx can stab through or draw on its shell. Lean and pixie-grinned, she’s about 5’ 7” but comes across as shorter than she really is. Fingerless gloves cover her punch-roughened knuckles. Jinx looks like trouble, smells like a street-kid, and manages to make that all look good.

Surprised she wears shoes. Also Utilikilt.

Okay, she sounds cute in a way that does not at all inspire "teh sex thots". I'd kind of want to give her a bath, a sandwich and a pat on the head in that order, but I'm assuming this is the writer's "wanna-gently caress-type" yes?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Profoundly yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desiden posted:

What little credit I'll give Brucato on the music one is that it seemed like almost all the WW writers seemed to think a handful of the most iconic bands in punk, goth, and industrial music were the cutting edge of counter-culture indie music.

Hell, I was in high school in rural america when vampire came out, and I still knew it was daft that the succubus club apparently played nothing but Sisters of Mercy albums some nights. For an IP that was something of the goth zeitgeist in RPG form, it was remarkable shallow in how much the writers seemed aware of the genre.

The list of bands who played there before they got to big was kinda funny. The Cure, sure, obviously, but also the Smiths, Psychedelic Furs and even REM.

Honestly in kind of an endearingly goofy way the Club itself doesn't make a lot of sense. The main floor is a super loud goth dance club, the basement is a place where apparently punks, metalheads and gang members hang out and on the second floor is like a wine bar.

Everyone posted:

Okay, she sounds cute in a way that does not at all inspire "teh sex thots". I'd kind of want to give her a bath, a sandwich and a pat on the head in that order, but I'm assuming this is the writer's "wanna-gently caress-type" yes?

Yeah, it really comes off more as his ideal woman. It really is surprising she doesn't go barefoot because that's like a major Thing of his.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Octavo posted:

I recognize I'm probably the only person on this board who liked playing Mummy 1e.

I think a lot of people like Mummy 1e in general, but not the way it tries to tell you how to do it. I'm not even all that "ugh" over the target number shenanigans. It's just, the way it was written was Peak White Wolf Obtuseness. (Which I personally wouldn't track as a Top 5 Greatest Sins.)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I would love to run or play a Mummy game inspired by the Millenium episode "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me" where you play the Four Horsemen showing up throughout history for people who are loving around to see what happens, but god, those rules really do not want you to play more than 1 of the titular critter in the same party at the same time, or divorce them in any way from a very very specific cultural context.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I would love to run or play a Mummy game inspired by the Millenium episode "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me" where you play the Four Horsemen showing up throughout history for people who are loving around to see what happens, but god, those rules really do not want you to play more than 1 of the titular critter in the same party at the same time, or divorce them in any way from a very very specific cultural context.

They added all these little knick-knacks and twists to Mummy: the Curse Second Edition, to the point where it's bloated and has no time to stop to explain terms it uses from First Edition. I'm baffled why they didn't just add and emphasize some basic mechanic to synchronize party members' Descents. Arguably they made this problem worse, because there's now an assertion that mummies of different Decrees have their own astrological associations that cause them to rise at different parts of the year.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Every day I inch closer to using Deviant rules for everything.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I mostly found Mummy a source of good mysteries and antagonists to use in other games, like the time I just dropped a meteor onto one of my Mage PCs.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Soonmot posted:

mummy had reverse vampires? please elaborate

Mummies are asleep almost all the time and are summoned forth by their cults for brief activity before descending back into the Duat Underworld (actually a lower depth and not the Geist underworld.) Vampires are awake most of the time and only sometimes slip into torpor through injury or depression from losing a touchstone or just a desire to lower their blood potency.

It's reverse D&D in that you play the ancient lich, design a tomb (complete with traps), stuff it with valuables and then hunt down the adventurers who rob you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While Changeling 20 is still live as I type this, remember later today is Wraith 20 Day and if you don't have it you should absolutely get it because it slaps.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

While Changeling 20 is still live as I type this, remember later today is Wraith 20 Day and if you don't have it you should absolutely get it because it slaps.

Wraith is up now! Best game ever. If not it is certainly my favorite.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Oh poo poo!!! #vamily

https://twitter.com/LAbyNight/status/1241000922001489920

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

That seems like a very short season.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dienes posted:

I assume it's because of the switch from Geek and Sundry. I don't know what the budget was with G&S but I'm sure going "in-house" probably cut the budget a bit.

Also I think they already announced a batch of epilogue episode too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They might also have cut it shorter than they planned due to the COVID-19 situation.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
As expected, Wraith 20th anniversary edition, available now for one day for free!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/233842/Wraith-The-Oblivion-20th-Anniversary-Edition

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Dienes posted:

Theres gonna be like 5 epilogues lol

Oberst
May 24, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

I assume it's because of the switch from Geek and Sundry. I don't know what the budget was with G&S but I'm sure going "in-house" probably cut the budget a bit.

Also I think they already announced a batch of epilogue episode too.

For sure you could even see the budget cut in their setup all season

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
there are now ventrues who can only feed on covid infected blood now pouring one out for them

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Morbus gonna have a feats in the coming months.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Helical Nightmares posted:

As expected, Wraith 20th anniversary edition, available now for one day for free!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/233842/Wraith-The-Oblivion-20th-Anniversary-Edition

Are there any considerable differences between 20th and say, Wraith 2e?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Slimnoid posted:

Are there any considerable differences between 20th and say, Wraith 2e?

Yes, but mostly tweaks and I can't think of any particular way that Wr20 isn't better.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rand Brittain posted:

Yes, but mostly tweaks and I can't think of any particular way that Wr20 isn't better.

I really like that Guild Status is now how you unlock access to the alternate powers, and you get access to a closely allied guilds powers too. They also go into good detail about what Stygia is like which is really nice to have in one place.

This is I think the best of the 20th anniversary books, easy.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

An underrated thing about Wraith20 is that, to me, Wraith was always the game of a thousand sourcebooks I could never track down, so having everything in a single 600-page mega-PDF whips rear end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also the appendix adding the Orpheus Group to Wraith!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Octavo posted:

Mummies are asleep almost all the time and are summoned forth by their cults for brief activity before descending back into the Duat Underworld (actually a lower depth and not the Geist underworld.) Vampires are awake most of the time and only sometimes slip into torpor through injury or depression from losing a touchstone or just a desire to lower their blood potency.

It's reverse D&D in that you play the ancient lich, design a tomb (complete with traps), stuff it with valuables and then hunt down the adventurers who rob you.

One of the weirder aspects of it is that those Descents don't necessarily occur in linear time. Your first in-game Descent could occur in Los Angeles in the present day. And with XP from your adventure your could buy a dot of Computer. Your next Descent could occur in 15th century Italy. And you keep your purchased dot of Computer because from your perspective that Descent occurs after the present day Los Angeles one. Now, you can't really use that Computer skill because Computers aren't really a thing in 1486 Rome, Italy, but you still have that knowledge.

Mummies be weird.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Everyone posted:

One of the weirder aspects of it is that those Descents don't necessarily occur in linear time. Your first in-game Descent could occur in Los Angeles in the present day. And with XP from your adventure your could buy a dot of Computer. Your next Descent could occur in 15th century Italy. And you keep your purchased dot of Computer because from your perspective that Descent occurs after the present day Los Angeles one. Now, you can't really use that Computer skill because Computers aren't really a thing in 1486 Rome, Italy, but you still have that knowledge.

Mummies be weird.

This sounds loving awesome.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I'm pumped to dive into Wraith20, probably sometime in the near future. I finally got around to buying Signs of Sorcery and am reading that right now, along with a nMage-but-the-Coens-Brothers-and-no-magic comic novel called "Masters of Atlantis." So after those probably.

Wraith was the oWoD game I knew about the least. Part of it might have been the aforementioned thousand important source books thing but part of it was also bad timing. My like, second RPG ever was White Wolf's Street Fighter RPG. I picked up Wraith in some gaming store on a vacation because flipping through it it looked a lot like Street Fighter's system! Also though I was eight and not ready for any of that - thematically, mechanically, narrativly. I returned it and only way later picked it up again.

But guess who just got a 600 page PDF for free and isn't still eight? This guy!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Would Wraith work well on Roll20?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Would Wraith work well on Roll20?

I think if you let the Storyteller take care of Shadowguiding for all the players...maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dawgstar posted:

The list of bands who played there before they got to big was kinda funny. The Cure, sure, obviously, but also the Smiths, Psychedelic Furs and even REM.

Honestly in kind of an endearingly goofy way the Club itself doesn't make a lot of sense. The main floor is a super loud goth dance club, the basement is a place where apparently punks, metalheads and gang members hang out and on the second floor is like a wine bar.

Sounds like the club in Hellraiser 3, which is somehow both a metal bar and a fine dining establishment.