Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Polish posted:

Not a single one in Pennsylvania.. we have lovely liquor laws. Turns out beer distributors will still be open so I am good. Now only if my office job I can definitely do from home would let us work from home.

Some Sheetz gas stations have a beer fridge. A big one.

There's also a really famous ExxonMobil station with an attached gastropub.

Pennsylvania arcane beer laws? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Sockser posted:

Gas stations have been allowed to (and do) sell beer for like four years at this point (not all, of course, but a lot)

Yeah but they have to have a certain amount of tables and chairs. I guess maybe out in the sticks gas stations might sell beer but not anywhere near me.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
only person in drive thru at wendy's at 530pm, i could get used to this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Day Man posted:

I am taking issue specifically with people spreading false information that masks don't work. That is dangerous information, and people that have been told that and need to care for a loved one during the upcoming collapse need to know what can help them.

I do not advocate hoarding, and I have not hoarded any masks. I want to fight the disinformation campaign.

You're misunderstanding the messaging; normal untrained people shouldn't use masks because they don't know how to use the masks effectively, rendering them basically useless. The number of people wearing a mask on their chin or reaching up under their mask to scratch their nose is high because it takes a level of effort and training that they have not received. It's not dangerous to tell those people to stop bothering and save masks for the professionals with greater need and actual ppe training, nor is it inconsistent (your original, erroneous complaint)

If you want to prevent infecting others just wearing a simple surgical mask will have some effect and is what should be encouraged for the wider population, not n95 masks

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Ritas water ice only had about 5 people. They give out free water ice on the first day of spring and its usually a 200-300 person line.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Polish posted:

Ritas water ice only had about 5 people. They give out free water ice on the first day of spring and its usually a 200-300 person line.

I hate it when they confuse the water ice with ammonia ice.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Apologies if this has already been posted. Gamestop needs to go out of business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYBHMIZ1Q8

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Rime posted:

I just realized that this is going to cancel every single Oysterhead reunion show, and that's the real tragedy we're going to have to come to grips with as this unfolds. :(

Geez. The worst part is the long frustrating years of wretched din and choked-back tears.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Welp, the Roni finally got to my town. I've been social distancing like the anti social gently caress I am but we'll see if it's enough.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

I just realized that this is going to cancel every single Oysterhead reunion show, and that's the real tragedy we're going to have to come to grips with as this unfolds. :(

yeah this is a bummer

here is every single 2001 oysterhead show tho

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCCJRv3HJLfOGI8Rs8P_uQRjRe_QFxP3l

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Because one case (So far) has been known to the public in our area wal-marts and other locations for food and medicine are packed and police are here monitoring the situation. Also didnt help that someone made a bomb threat at the government center (Columbus GA)

It's very depressing right now. And I have to go back to work tomorrow :(

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I am a big dumb dumb but reading this article made me feel a little more optimistic.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/10-positive-updates-on-the-covid-19-outbreaks-from-around-the-world/

Some of them seem dumb (like uber eats waving their delivery fees...) but it seems like maybe a vaccine isn't as far off as everyone thought? Or maybe I'm just dumb and gullible/

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Katamari Democracy posted:

Because one case (So far) has been known to the public in our area wal-marts and other locations for food and medicine are packed and police are here monitoring the situation. Also didnt help that someone made a bomb threat at the government center (Columbus GA)

Hi fellow GA goon.

The Athens GA mayor has issued a "call to shelter in place" but it isn't mandatory. He also announced a ban on restaurants and bars having more than 10 patrons at once. All the local parks are closed too. Last I heard from friends in Athens there are 8 confirmed cases in the county.

So glad we have an idiot election-stealing governor in charge.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I am a big dumb dumb but reading this article made me feel a little more optimistic.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/10-positive-updates-on-the-covid-19-outbreaks-from-around-the-world/

Some of them seem dumb (like uber eats waving their delivery fees...) but it seems like maybe a vaccine isn't as far off as everyone thought? Or maybe I'm just dumb and gullible/

A vaccine will realistically require around at least 12-14 months of testing to determine it's safe for general use. So unless they waive those typical requirements I wouldn't count on one any time soon.

There have been some other treatments that have had some success vs Covid though. Those are probably the ones more likely to slow the death/severe illness count - at least for now. But those treatments are also still being tested and aren't conclusively proven to work yet either.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

You're thinking of posting in cspam, the only cure for which is posting in yospos (amberpos only)

i post in cspam geebis and the pos, what's that make me

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

pahuyuth posted:

Hi fellow GA goon.

The Athens GA mayor has issued a "call to shelter in place" but it isn't mandatory. He also announced a ban on restaurants and bars having more than 10 patrons at once. All the local parks are closed too. Last I heard from friends in Athens there are 8 confirmed cases in the county.

Hello fellow GA goons. https://www.facebook.com/groups/augustatoday/permalink/2810417235703260/ Augusta has 9 cases and growing. This is Augusta only. Plant Vogtle likely has tons. Fort Gordon has released no information but is holding multiple soldiers and not letting them go home per a friend in the hospital attending them. Good chance we're about go explode over here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ginette Reno posted:

A vaccine will realistically require around at least 12-14 months of testing to determine it's safe for general use. So unless they waive those typical requirements I wouldn't count on one any time soon.

There have been some other treatments that have had some success vs Covid though. Those are probably the ones more likely to slow the death/severe illness count - at least for now. But those treatments are also still being tested and aren't conclusively proven to work yet either.

The 18 year long graveyard of SARS-1 Vaccine trials, which proved more lethal than the virus in rodents, means it's unlikely they'll waive those testing periods unless insanity grips the medical regulatory community.

Or capitalism puts a gun to their head and tells them the body count will be worth it, which is probably what is going to happen given the current situation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Basically everything in that article is accurate, but keep in mind that the development of a vaccine is not the same as making a vaccine available to the public; that's still far off because you don't want to accidentally release a vaccine whose side effects wind up being worse than the disease. Testing is only just beginning

Uber eats waving delivery fees is good because it minimizes the number of people interacting with other people. As a thought experiment, consider a population in which any random person has a 10% chance of being infected. The r0 of the disease will be lower in a scenario where drivers perform contactless deliveries with digital payments than a scenario where everyone drives themselves and picks up food in-person, even if everyone is careless about sanitizing; if everyone is careful about sanitizing then the r0 is even lower in the contactless-delivery scenario than otherwise. It will also slightly blunt the economic impact of all of this. It's preferred that you cook at home but it's also preferred that you not go out and get takeout yourself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i post in cspam geebis and the pos, what's that make me

The same as me: an abomination

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

Somewhat tangential, being familiar with some of the more rural areas east of Columbus, I would not be surprised to see people getting lynched and shot in public soon. Especially if an "outsider" shows up in Harris county to buy toilet paper.

This is the county where the Sheriff put up signs boasting about how politically incorrect they are and how many citizens have concealed weapons so dont get out of line because they only have one jail but 360 cemeteries. Enjoy your stay and if you dont like it, leave!

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 20, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does obesity put you at risk for the Roni? I'm worried about one of the hosts of my favourite racist podcast. :ohdear:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Mordja posted:

Does obesity put you at risk for the Roni? I'm worried about one of the hosts of my favourite racist podcast. :ohdear:

stav is going to fight off the roni with metric tons of fried chicken

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Edgar posted:

Anyone already tired working from home? I hate being isolated like this.

I've always loved working from home but I have too much anxiety to do so effectively at this moment in time so I'm half-working from home and half-burning down a big bank of PTO hours. It sucks. I've been a pretty frequent work-from-home person for over a decade but right now I just want to watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

You're misunderstanding the messaging; normal untrained people shouldn't use masks because they don't know how to use the masks effectively, rendering them basically useless. The number of people wearing a mask on their chin or reaching up under their mask to scratch their nose is high because it takes a level of effort and training that they have not received. It's not dangerous to tell those people to stop bothering and save masks for the professionals with greater need and actual ppe training, nor is it inconsistent (your original, erroneous complaint)

If you want to prevent infecting others just wearing a simple surgical mask will have some effect and is what should be encouraged for the wider population, not n95 masks

Even a home made mask gives significant protection, first of all towards other people when you are contagious yourself, but also for yourself, during non-intensive contacts.

Not order of magnitude better protection, but maybe about double.

Everybody should wear home made masks now. That doesn't take anything away from professional stocks and would have a statistical impact.

And for the next plague: lets make sure that good face masks are as common as toilet paper.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i just got an email from our energy provider and i think the virus has begun infecting the power lines??? i was under the impression we at least had a week to prepare for digital virus transmission...

tuna is not taking this lightly, and has ordered emergency court with her most trusted royal subjects.

from left to right; oliver, ceo of all supply chains. charles (the shark), duke of snacks. dick the duck, prince of looking cute. Tuna, devestator, life bringer. susan, president of the military. huxtable, water.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's kind of sad watching businesses trying to just function normally remotely as if this hasn't just started. Critical projects wont be impacted, etc. Like they aren't anticipating peoples family or relatives getting this. I thought most places would turn to "keep the lights on mode" but it's full steam ahead with projects.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Even a home made mask gives significant protection, first of all towards other people when you are contagious yourself, but also for yourself, during non-intensive contacts.

Not order of magnitude better protection, but maybe about double.

Everybody should wear home made masks now. That doesn't take anything away from professional stocks and would have a statistical impact.

And for the next plague: lets make sure that good face masks are as common as toilet paper.

Yeah the last line of my post basically acknowledges that. No one is saying that n95 masks are ineffective, but rather in the hands of untrained people they're as-effective as simple surgical masks or even just a scarf held over your nose and mouth. So save the n95 masks for medical professionals who need them and know how to use them, use something else for yourself

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

The 18 year long graveyard of SARS-1 Vaccine trials, which proved more lethal than the virus in rodents, means it's unlikely they'll waive those testing periods unless insanity grips the medical regulatory community.

Or capitalism puts a gun to their head and tells them the body count will be worth it, which is probably what is going to happen given the current situation.

Yeah, they definitely shouldn't waive the testing periods, not unless things become dire.

Hopefully the medical community will develop some promising treatments in the meantime. If they can find existing drugs to combat the disease (such as Choloroquine) then that might help keep people alive until a vaccine is made.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Completed my employment insurance application. Hopefully the whole "You have to apply for lots of jobs and report it all and keep records for 6 years or you get nothing!" gets ignored right now because there aren't exactly a whole lot of jobs to apply for, and this layoff is hopefully only temporary. If my workplace is shut down for 2 months it will be termination, but any time sooner than that I'll just be brought back.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

pahuyuth posted:

loving Brian Kemp. Yeah I hope most goons know of him because he did steal that poo poo and ignorant loving racists only belittle her and soil facebook with a shitload of racist memes. At least we live near a military base and all so if poo poo gets bad we might be ok. But still. People down here are super loving racist and people flaunt it as if they have a special badge whenever they go out in public.

Columbus Georgia has some great people and I thank our God that I have met some real angels and talent here. Too bad it's gonna be poo poo on due to this crap.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Somewhat tangential, being familiar with some of the more rural areas east of Columbus, I would not be surprised to see people getting lynched and shot in public soon. Especially if an "outsider" shows up in Harris county to buy toilet paper.

This is the county where the Sheriff put up signs boasting about how politically incorrect they are and how many citizens have concealed weapons so dont get out of line because they only have one jail but 360 cemeteries. Enjoy your stay and if you dont like it, leave!

E- sorry for the double post

Mike Jolly is a racist too. I lived in Harris County all my life until my dad passed two years ago. I have know him and I would be afraid if I said anything bad about him he might shoot me. So take that as you will.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Edgar posted:

Anyone already tired working from home? I hate being isolated like this.

gently caress no. The hour I save in commuting I spend half and half between exercising and jerking it. The food for lunch is better and I go for a walk on the extra time on my lunch break. And my cat meows at people during conference calls.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

I'm sticking to my prediction since I've been right on all of them the past 2 weeks:

1) Once we hit over 600 cases AND double digit deaths, Pritzker is going to enact shelter mode.

2) This will happen either Friday, or, at worst with people doing dumb poo poo again on the weekend, Monday.

I now agree with this because now I just have tomorrow off and I'll probably be back Monday?

I just want to go to my favorite dive bar and do shots of bitters and eat their burgers again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mnoba posted:

only person in drive thru at wendy's at 530pm, i could get used to this

Enjoy your Coronanator

colas
Feb 14, 2007

It's not racist to call Chinese food "Chinese" so why is racist to call the virus "Chinese"? - From OAN (One America news network) live White House briefing just now.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://english.chosun.com/m/svc/article.html?contid=2020031904959

Otherwise healthy 17 year old died of covid.

The % are still non 0.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkTLive/status/1240792972834131968

not blue check marked so not sure if this is valid or not

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Capitalism sure is great

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I was just talking with some friends (we were experimenting with online tabletop RPG because of the lockdown) and there are more and more testimonies of mild yet possible cases. Like the wife of a friend who got a mild fever and strange loss of smell and taste which is apparently a possible symptom too.

It could very much be something else completely, but it really feels like this thing is super contagious and tons of people get it, but most don't even realize it.

Seems to match with descriptions from other countries, and also it's kind of reassuring because it means we are already more advanced in the global contagion, but with the same number of deaths.

But it's true there seems to be an unusual amount of cases of "strange colds/flu" this year around here, especially for the last 2/3 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hello fellow GA goons. https://www.facebook.com/groups/augustatoday/permalink/2810417235703260/ Augusta has 9 cases and growing. This is Augusta only. Plant Vogtle likely has tons. Fort Gordon has released no information but is holding multiple soldiers and not letting them go home per a friend in the hospital attending them. Good chance we're about go explode over here.

Can I join this group as moral support?