Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

How can anyone judge the difficulty of the game when all we have available is essentially the tutorial?

I'm mostly going by the gameplay video that came out last week. Maybe they were playing on easy but they utterly annihilated every enemy and nuked the boss super quickly without ever needing to heal (even with intentionally failing a boss mechanic to show it off), and that was a much later-game area. It seems weird to me they'd play on easy mode for a gameplay preview video so I was assuming it was normal mode. Maybe they were really, really overleveled?

This video, specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29PSJEdjpc

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

One thing to note is that there's exactly one team comp that (assuming the spell lists are the same as in the original) can never have a healer: Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela.

From what I can tell, the most important thing with team comp is story, especially because normal mode seems pretty easy.

I had that party in the latest playthrough of the original but ended up putting Charlotte in the party in this demo so I won't have to buy dozens of Poto oils and swap them out of storage all the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I haven’t gotten there on the demo yet but don’t you get the third party member after full metal hugger (unless your third partner is Charlotte)? Did they change that?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

I haven’t gotten there on the demo yet but don’t you get the third party member after full metal hugger (unless your third partner is Charlotte)? Did they change that?

You're correct, and this is honestly something I wish they would have been clearer about. You will not get to use your 3rd party member in this demo. (unless you picked Charlotte maybe?)

All good though, just means we have a great excuse to play through the demo thrice instead of twice! :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

timp posted:

You're correct, and this is honestly something I wish they would have been clearer about. You will not get to use your 3rd party member in this demo. (unless you picked Charlotte maybe?)

All good though, just means we have a great excuse to play through the demo thrice instead of twice! :v:

Yeah if I remember correctly Charlotte joins you in the waterfall cave after you rescue her if she’s your third party member
Also I am so glad that there are different weapon models. I love that little detail. Shame that all the armor menu sprites are the same now though

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I am anti-Charlotte.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I am anti-Chawlowtte.

fixed this for you

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Harrow posted:

I'm mostly going by the gameplay video that came out last week. Maybe they were playing on easy but they utterly annihilated every enemy and nuked the boss super quickly without ever needing to heal (even with intentionally failing a boss mechanic to show it off), and that was a much later-game area. It seems weird to me they'd play on easy mode for a gameplay preview video so I was assuming it was normal mode. Maybe they were really, really overleveled?

They're 3 levels higher than the boss and 7 higher than the mobs. Not necessarily really overleveled, but still significant. I don't think it's necessarily weird to do the game in easy mode if they just want to show off the gameplay.

It's very likely not hard mode though, and we don't have enough information to say whether that'll be a challenge or not.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I am anti-Charlotte.

What's youw pwobwem?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Yeah if I remember correctly Charlotte joins you in the waterfall cave after you rescue her if she’s your third party member

That tracks. It’s funny when she’s not your 3rd party member and she’s just begging to join you. Hawkeye was just like “absolutely not” and I lol’ed

Another random thought: I like how your party splits up when you get to towns. Makes them all seem more like people with their own plans and preferences and whatnot, and it’s cool when you run into them while exploring random establishments. Oh hey Duran! :)

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

timp posted:

My party had Charlotte as the third, so I can confirm you do get her in the demo as a third party member.

That actually made me forget you don't usually get the third yet. Facehugger seemed much easier than on the original game too, dying before I noticed any eyes popping.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

timp posted:

That tracks. It’s funny when she’s not your 3rd party member and she’s just begging to join you. Hawkeye was just like “absolutely not” and I lol’ed

Another random thought: I like how your party splits up when you get to towns. Makes them all seem more like people with their own plans and preferences and whatnot, and it’s cool when you run into them while exploring random establishments. Oh hey Duran! :)

I got spooked by Angela when turning a corner in Wendel, because I assumed the "party members disappear inside you" thing happened. Nice touch when I got used to it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

timp posted:

I really like what they did with this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVhHStgpvM

I mentioned a few day ago that it seemed like all the music was more transcription than arrangement, with each instrument hitting every note from the original with virtually no exceptions. After playing the demo and listening more, that still holds true for the most part, but I have picked up on a few minor changes. But it's still really wonderful because they're subtle and don't take away from the song's "thesis" as it were at all. For instance, in the track above, they removed the accented shaker part from the original and replaced it with some light hand drumming. They also added some really tasty sustained strings in the part when the main theme repeats itself.

I'm just so impressed with the direction they took at arranging these tracks—90% original with an extra 10% punch-up. IMO it's the best route they could have taken.

Oh also the Crimson Wizard's teleportation effect looks fucken rad

Agree 100%. I have a video game OST playlist, and while there are the usual suspects of WoW, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc., the game with the most entries on the list is SD3. I'm supremely happy how they handled the music. I became a bit misty eyed during the intro upon first hearing the music.

There are so many things to like about the remake. I noticed in the help popup during the loading screens, when they talk about silver and gold goddess statues, that they mention a special goddess statue with further powers. And it's immediately clear which statue they're talking about. I guess you will just be allowed to do the second class change at the Mana Holyland regardless of level (provided you have the correct item). They did say you would be able to get that class change before fighting the Benevodons.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did the demo, Angela/Duran, Riesz as third.
:stoked:

Thoughts:
Oh god the soundtrack. Barney_Gumble_into_my_veins.mp4

To anyone with Angela as main: 2 points in strength training after the first levelup for the +5 str passive, there'll be time to jack up her int later, when she has spells and meatshields companions. She was actually outdamaging Duran until he caught up (but his passive was at 6 points of strength training).

Apart from that, the training system is a neat extension to the original's level up system, linked abilities look like an interesting idea that'll probably break the game wide open, and I can't wait to rain magical death and destruction on our enemies.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My current speculation is that there's only 1 item seed now, and upgrading the flower pot will eventually let the item seed reach class change status.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seiferguy posted:

That's how it was in the original, Angela had to slog through the ice with her staff and nothing else.

I don't think I ever finished Angela's prologue properly in the original, I'd die quickly and wake up in the next town.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Allarion posted:

My current speculation is that there's only 1 item seed now, and upgrading the flower pot will eventually let the item seed reach class change status.

I really like the flower pot leveling up. I also love how they kept those bouncy things in, they just do something else now.

I'm super stoked for this game to come out.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Harrow posted:

Not sure if they changed the level balancing for the remake, but in the SNES version, I'd usually be in the low level 30s range when going into the God Beast/Benevodon rush. The second class change usually came about midway or 2/3 of the way through fighting them.

Level 45 is a bit high for that point, with that in mind. I'd usually be at the final boss around Level 50-51.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
The Demo IS stupidly easy, but it could be a demo thing.

Regardless, I think that buying the steam version means there will be difficulty mods coming in soon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arkeus posted:

Regardless, I think that buying the steam version means there will be difficulty mods coming in soon.

Most of the infrastructure for a genuinely difficult game is already there, too, given that you're strictly limited to whatever you can fit in your item ring while in combat. A mod that did nothing more than up the damage and decrease the individual amount of each item you can hold in the item ring would probably be more than enough.

Wyvernil posted:

Not sure if they changed the level balancing for the remake, but in the SNES version, I'd usually be in the low level 30s range when going into the God Beast/Benevodon rush. The second class change usually came about midway or 2/3 of the way through fighting them.

Level 45 is a bit high for that point, with that in mind. I'd usually be at the final boss around Level 50-51.

Judging by the boss levels, it seems like they've shifted around the curve somewhat, probably to accommodate the greater customization inherent with stat ups and the additional class. Zable Fahr is 46 in the original game, but they're 56 in the trailer.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 19, 2020

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I wonder is the rabbite fight will be available to everyone this time.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Torrannor posted:

Agree 100%. I have a video game OST playlist, and while there are the usual suspects of WoW, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc., the game with the most entries on the list is SD3. I'm supremely happy how they handled the music. I became a bit misty eyed during the intro upon first hearing the music.

There are so many things to like about the remake. I noticed in the help popup during the loading screens, when they talk about silver and gold goddess statues, that they mention a special goddess statue with further powers. And it's immediately clear which statue they're talking about. I guess you will just be allowed to do the second class change at the Mana Holyland regardless of level (provided you have the correct item). They did say you would be able to get that class change before fighting the Benevodons.

Considering Benevodons are something like Lv. 40-50 boss encounters now and the level requirements for class changing hasn't been mucked with (as confirmed by the library in Duran's intro), I do think you're clearly supposed to class change around that time, yeah.

It's also possible that they're talking about being able to respec your characters.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Bruceski posted:

I don't think I ever finished Angela's prologue properly in the original, I'd die quickly and wake up in the next town.

It's possible by extremely fancy footwork and utilizing your range (or just running past everything), but after a few screens Angela simply collapses from hypothermia and the same thing happens as when you get clobbered by monsters.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It's going to be funny finding out how things are supposed to look versus how my mind interpreted the sprites. To me, Ludgar was always this bloodhound-faced dude with a glorious lion mane. But it turns out he's pretty, and what I thought were jowls were his pecs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the one model that hasn't quite translated to my expectations is the werewolf model. They look like a loving Shiba Inus with a muscular wolfman body.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Yeah, really loving the demo, definitely buying the game on launch.

Allarion posted:

I actually got a Silver Item Seed from... somewhere... on my second playthrough of the demo.
I can only assume an enemy in Angela's starting area dropped it, because I had it in Jadd and didn't notice where I got it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
From what I've heard, ??? seeds can be found in Treasure Chests so I'd suspect you're going to find them once you get to around the Mana Sanctuary or directly thereafter on normal playthroughs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Folt The Bolt posted:

From what I've heard, ??? seeds can be found in Treasure Chests so I'd suspect you're going to find them once you get to around the Mana Sanctuary or directly thereafter on normal playthroughs.

Are they still going to have gacha / RNG methods to get the item you need?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I finally finished the demo, doing a Duran/Angela playthrough. It was pretty fun! If nothing else, I'm glad they made it worthwhile to explore areas for treasure chests and dropped items scattered throughout the world, even in settlements. Before you just explored and fought enemies because you needed to level grind, but it feels a lot nicer now. I'll be for sure trying out the different characters later.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

As a dirty pc player who can’t get a demo, how does Duran play? He was always the most boring physical attacker in the original.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roobanguy posted:

As a dirty pc player who can’t get a demo, how does Duran play? He was always the most boring physical attacker in the original.

You can get a demo on steam though...?

I’ve played as Hawkeye and Duran and I liked how strong Duran’s single sword swings felt compared to Hawk’s double knives

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Rofl, I had realized the different main characters rotated saying the title on the title screen, but "Twails of Mana" still took me off guard.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Rofl, I had realized the different main characters rotated saying the title on the title screen, but "Twails of Mana" still took me off guard.

I was misty-eyed after the incredible opening, and then that was the one I got for my first playthrough. I just busted out laughing

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's real loving weird hearing the official localized names and how they're pronounced against my memories from the fan translation twenty year ago.

Edit: the real purpose of the demo is to figure out whose running animation is too obnoxious to be the lead.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2020

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

timp posted:

You can get a demo on steam though...?

I’ve played as Hawkeye and Duran and I liked how strong Duran’s single sword swings felt compared to Hawk’s double knives

oh poo poo, when i looked yesterday i didn't see the download.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

YggiDee posted:

It's real loving weird hearing the official localized names and how they're pronounced against my memories from the fan translation twenty year ago.

Edit: the real purpose of the demo is to figure out whose running animation is too obnoxious to be the lead.

I'm probably going to be saying "Hawk," "Lise," and "Carlie" for the rest of my life

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YggiDee posted:

In the trailer it looks like some of Angela's costumes get an upskirt.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What the gently caress is Lumina's voice, I love it.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Lumina reminded me of SF4 DeeJay

thumbs up from me

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm probably going to be saying "Hawk," "Lise," and "Carlie" for the rest of my life

They can call God-Beasts whatever they want but they're still God-Beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Of all the things that didn't get retranslated, I'm surprised Astoria is the same. I always thought the fan translators were just fans of Astoria, Oregon :v: