Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Wife and I just grabbed our copies, about to start crossing some animals in a few minutes here

I'm so drat excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I always name my village "Dunwich" and usually name the character "Wilbur" because I am infantile and find the juxtaposition between Lovecraft and Animal Crossing to be kind of funny but now that it's an Island I'd have to go with R'lyeh and that's now less funny to me so I might forgo the lovecraftian horror thing altogether.

I'm not sure why I started that anyways since I don't even really like Lovecraft that much but I've been doing it since the DS one and I feel weird stopping.

Edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of this, do you have any recommended reading on how these games work? (I'm sure I could just pick it up but I like having a little info going into most games anyway)

Not really. It was described to me back in the Gamecube days as "Catch Bugs. Go Fishing. Dig Holes. Bury Things." and I think that's a fairly apt description. Otherwise just google will probably lay it out well enough. The main thing is that it's real time and the world progresses even if you don't play (mainly in that weeds will grow and maybe some villagers will move out)

You will probably hear things about time travel. In my opinion: Don't Do This, it isn't that kind of game. Just wait it out. Don't try to min/max this and just be patient when you're waiting for stuff. I'd say the exception is that if your schedule is wonky, it's reasonable to set the time so that you're not constantly playing in the middle of the night when everything is closed.

If you do decide you want to time travel and enjoy it, go hog wild. You don't have to answer to anyone except yourself, do what makes you happy. I just know I ruined my experience on one of the games by starting time travel (via the system) and it completely changed how the game felt to me and I didn't enjoy it anymore after a couple weeks.

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 20, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Oh I have a new question, are the starting villagers fixed at all? Because otherwise I may just repeatedly restart until I get Bob.

cats
May 11, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Oh I have a new question, are the starting villagers fixed at all? Because otherwise I may just repeatedly restart until I get Bob.

Supposedly everyone gets a Jock and an Uchi villager, so it's fixed to that pool.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cosmo sex tip posted:

congratulations friend which villagers did you get!
Buck and Tammy. Buck I have no opinion on, but Tammy owns y'hear

also the airport/docks is bright green which I feel like kinda stands out, but definitely not worth resetting over when I got the perfect fruit

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I want to make sure I understand something correctly about time travel:

I won't be staying up to play at 12. Probably be waking up around 5:30 and playing then. Someone upthread mentionedyou have to donate fish and bugs to Nook then Blathers comes the next day. If that's how it is I want to do that ASAP. So I was thinking of setting the system clock back to midnight once I wake up, doing what I need to unlock that spoiler, then exiting out and setting the clock to the right time. Then a day would have passed and Blathers will be there with a shovel design for me. Do I understand correctly?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

shortspecialbus posted:

The two starting villagers are apparently always jock and uchi personalities, so Bob can't be a starter.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Postman posted:

Do we know how island naming works? I found the character limit but does "Island" follow the name you give it? Either way I'm naming mine Koholint and hoping I can put a gigantic egg in the center of it someday.

i was thinking of doing the same thing and i made the Ballad of the Wind Fish to be my town tune (with some sliiight loss of the exact note timing unfortunately)

http://nooknet.net/tunes?melody=A-B-C-s-s-A-B-C-s-s-B-A-e-G-A-s&title=Ballad%20Of%20The%20Wind%20Fish

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Pianist On Strike posted:

Supposedly everyone gets a Jock and an Uchi villager, so it's fixed to that pool.

Pakled posted:

The two starting villagers are apparently always jock and uchi personalities, so Bob can't be a starter.

This is a travesty.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Humerus posted:

I want to make sure I understand something correctly about time travel:

I won't be staying up to play at 12. Probably be waking up around 5:30 and playing then. Someone upthread mentionedyou have to donate fish and bugs to Nook then Blathers comes the next day. If that's how it is I want to do that ASAP. So I was thinking of setting the system clock back to midnight once I wake up, doing what I need to unlock that spoiler, then exiting out and setting the clock to the right time. Then a day would have passed and Blathers will be there with a shovel design for me. Do I understand correctly?

Yes, this sounds correct. That's pretty much what I just did, minus the time travelling part.

Oh man, I just spent two hours playing this dang game, and it's really good. Good night, thread. :3:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
ANIMAL CROSSING QUESTION - The account that first starts the game is the "leader" of the island, right? And every other account is like a secondary citizen right?

Does the game have any online features? Because my wife is going to be the main one playing but she doesn't have Nintendo Online for her profile, where mine does but I'm just going to be an island guest.

Followup question - Lets say my wife -creates- the island. She doesn't have online. I'm a resident on the island, I do have Nintendo online. Can people visit the island or is it locked in some sort of "offline" mode since the creator doesn't have Nintendo online.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 20, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Can I have a tag please <3

Can't wait to play my first AC since Wild World at midnight! Amazon delayed my physical copy so I just cancelled and bought the digital.

Don't give this man anything. He owes the forums a write up on the Evil Bong franchise.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aquaticrabbit & shortspecialbus your FCID doesn't work in the ACNH friend document

Sharks in Space
Jan 12, 2011

Just like mom used to make.

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

I would like this rad opportunity, please and thank you. :3:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Brother Entropy posted:

medli, the one fan of Aiden Pearce's Iconic Cap

lmao

Also, I think I'm going to go with Regalo for my island. Sounds cool, means "gift" which this game certainly is rn, and also is a reference to an anime I'm pretty sure only I watched!

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 20, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

aquaticrabbit & shortspecialbus your FCID doesn't work in the ACNH friend document

You're right, typo'd the last pairing. Corrected:

SW-0225-4405-6331

OP says to post corrections/updates in the thread, if there's a way for me to edit manually I don't see it. I closed the tab that had the "Edit" link at the end.

Edit: I restored the tab and got the link and did it but it doesn't look like it edited the DB I dunno

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 20, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got nearly 2 hours in, paid my package off with my 5000 nook miles and arranged my first upgrade.

Also handed over enough bugs and fish to set up for Blathers to arrive tomorrow!

Time to sleep, AC is so good though.

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Excited to finally be able to play this game. Also, kindly requesting to be added to the gangtag wait list! Pretty please. Might as well go all in.

Quick question, as I can't find anything definitive through Google: Is the color of the airport fixed? Or are we able to change it at a later time?

Hollow Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 20, 2020

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What if I named my island Cabot CovID as both a Murder She Wrote joke and also topical humor?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Things don't respawn until 6 AM, right? So theoretically you could bang through your first mortgage at like 3 AM and the house will be built by 6?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Infinitum posted:

I would like a gangtag please!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Infinitum posted:

Also ur fuckin probed fucko

Yo, please hit me for six :dukedoge:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Funky Valentine posted:

Things don't respawn until 6 AM, right? So theoretically you could bang through your first mortgage at like 3 AM and the house will be built by 6?

5am in this one, apparently. but i think so? in theory

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Infinitum posted:

May I please have the tag. thankyou :)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got nearly 2 hours in, paid my package off with my 5000 nook miles and arranged my first upgrade.

Also handed over enough bugs and fish to set up for Blathers to arrive tomorrow!

Time to sleep, AC is so good though.
Nice! That's a lot of progress for one day. I definitely want to at least do that second bit though. It's 5 you need to turn in, right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

my island is named Gem since my 4 year old daughter was watching me set it up and insisted it be named after her. not Gem isle or anything, just Gem.

now shes playing with me and yoinked a message in a bottle before me and got a mirror out of it :mad:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I just spent 2 hours to get 5000 Nook Miles and redeem it for a house and immediately put myself back in debt. The amount of time that passes by without you realising is pretty startling but I’m not mad.

Having a tarantula jump at me and knock me out was pretty scary though.

Also, thoroughly recommend getting enough Nook Miles to redeem the ring thing for tools as it makes picking out your tools so much easier.

This is a good game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Got peaches, green airport, a monkey and a croc that I've already forgotten the names of. Already caught me a tarantula :whatup:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
You know what, I probably also deserve a sixer as well, I love resetting my games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
can you have more than one space in your name? I may be a huge Shadowrun nerd and name my island Tir na nOg

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm settled in on Deep Sea 9, the federation of planets flag is easy to whip up and the DS9 theme actually sounds good in-game. :riker:

Nook is a Ferengi and the whole game takes place in a holosuite. :tinfoil:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's embarrassing how torn I am between 'Flavortown' or 'Tir na nog', it's a battle between shitposting and nerd bullshit

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Grabbing dinner and going through and queuing up the next batch

I'm actually a permanent Idiot King of the Games subforum, I got upgraded!

Myself, oddium, and Relax or DIE can all help you out with "this person is being a fuckwit and needs a 6er" thread slapfight needs.

Also ur fuckin probed fucko

Can I get a release celebration/gameplay focus 6er?

WOOOOOO ANIMAL CROSSING IN LESS THAN TWO HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The pocket camp crossover event option for downloading the items is not appearing in my game. Is it limited to certain regions?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

pyrotek posted:

WOOOOOO ANIMAL CROSSING IN LESS THAN TWO HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woop:

I hope by the time it unlocks I know what I'm namin myself

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

a7m2 posted:

The pocket camp crossover event option for downloading the items is not appearing in my game. Is it limited to certain regions?

I believe it'll go live when NA goes live. which is in 1 hour, 42 mins

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

a7m2 posted:

Wait 2 hours

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

a7m2 posted:

I believe it becomes available at the daily reset time for PC which for me is 11pm pst, so less than 4 hours to go. I could be wrong.

I was also tempted to name my island Koholint, and the Ballad of the Wind Fish posted above really tempts me further.

I also thought of naming it Kokomo, and found someone who had made that work for an island tune too.

Less than 2 hours to go. The indecision is strong.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
choosing an island name is quite taxing!

I was thinking one of these maybe

Isla Nublar
Idylegain
Straycrumb

but I'm not sure! I will have to ponder for the next hour..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How soon into the game do you find out your fruit and airport color? I might lose my night trying to get the right combo.