Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
This is my local liquor store. Not in the south, but in the libtard epicenter of the US. 1488 is apparently a nazi thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Probably not going to do it though. Turning off the economy for 2 years is incomprehensible.

Cheaper to put all the highest risk people in isolation, and tell everyone else to go back to work and take their chances. It's not just money either: If we keep the schools and universities closed for years that means no new doctors, nurses, technicians, etc., during that time. Having kids running wild in the streets all day probably isn't much safer than having them all in school in the long run. Blue collar jobs in construction and manufacturing can't be done from home, and can't all just be paused for more than a few weeks without exacerbating shortages.

We could permanently shut down things like movie theaters, gamestops, and amusement parks, I suppose. Those workers can all shift into ever expanding amazon warehouses.

I'm finding it hard to stop thinking about this aspect of it, and it's for selfish reasons basically, but it's the uncertainty of so is there just going to be any point in trying to live for the next two years? Which is over-dramatic, but I think governments need to get a solid plan and timescale out - a real one, not some bullshit about oh we'll lockdown for 2 weeks, when everyone knows that isn't all that needs to happen - so that people can start planning their lives around something again, even if that something is poo poo, it's better than sustained uncertainty about basic daily life.

I'm just thinking how everyone's quality of life is about to go down to a point where behaviour could become unpredictable and maybe pretty drastic. I'm thinking are suicide rates just going to explode? Cos a lot of people, including me, weren't doing that well BEFORE any of this for other reasons which this society shutdown makes so much worse. Stuff like that.

loving bonkers, man. I'm fried.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Withnail posted:

This is my local liquor store. Not in the south, but in the libtard epicenter of the US. 1488 is apparently a nazi thing.

Hello fellow Colorado Goon.

I'm almost out of scotch but I have some weed and that makes things okay.

Also gently caress that bullshit sign what the hell.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's time to raid that loving nazi liquor store

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Withnail posted:

It’s been going around the net today, they put out an “apology” on Facebook that was just typical coward garbage. Nobody is buying it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

we can't let the loving nazis of all things get a foothold in the american post-apocalypse

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

JUST SOUP FOR 2

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Get to walmart before the preppers buy up all the tents!

There's no reason why people would stock up on tents. But today they were nearly out of dishwasher detergent so anything is possible. Dishwasher detergent. The stuff that is only useful in a dish washing machine. You can't wash your hands with it, or sanitize your doorknobs. Why???

Once our household gets sick we'll probably stick to each person having their own utensils and plates but for now the safest thing to do is not only to thoroughly wash stuff in the sink and then have the dishwasher scour that poo poo even more. Or at least I assume so, considering eating and drinking seems like a fast way to spread some droplets around.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

we can't let the loving nazis of all things get a foothold in the american post-apocalypse

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Clocks posted:

Once our household gets sick we'll probably stick to each person having their own utensils and plates

Would that even make a difference?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Withnail posted:

lol they’re getting wrecked on FB

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We’re not xenophobic we just put incredibly xenophobic things on our sign

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Facebook Aunt posted:

Get to walmart before the preppers buy up all the tents!

There's no reason why people would stock up on tents. But today they were nearly out of dishwasher detergent so anything is possible. Dishwasher detergent. The stuff that is only useful in a dish washing machine. You can't wash your hands with it, or sanitize your doorknobs. Why???
Because if you aren't planning to go to the store for a month or two, you'll probably run out of dishwasher detergent. :ms:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I drive by that liquor store every morning and this message is not tremendously out of character for them.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Would that even make a difference?

Probably not really, but if you are actually still corona free and not just asymptomatic then I think a dishwasher probably can clear any potential vectors better than some half-assed rinsing that people do.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

My local safeway ran out of hand wipes for the carts so they had a spray bottle of sanitizer chained to the wall and a giant roll of thin paper. The paper got stolen.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

bird with big dick posted:

lol they’re getting wrecked on FB

I love that their response was, "We're not racist, but...."

https://www.facebook.com/Union-Jack-Liquor-143586009008987/

Union Jack Liquors posted:

Our sincere apologies for a lapse in judgment regarding the phrase "Thanks China" on the sign. We can assure you we are neither xenophobic nor racist. It was meant towards Xi Jingping and the ruling party rather than Chinese people as a whole. We can all agree on Xi Jinping's downfalls as a ruler. The Chinese as a people are extremely resilient and handled the crisis with the utmost care and precision. The phrase has since been taken down and nothing like this will happen again.

Regarding the $14.88, we had no idea this had anything to do with white supremacy (not least because we are not white supremacists); this was a sale price for a beer, nothing more. It has been on sale numerous times at this price without one complaint or comment. It was a price suggested to us by the computer for an optimal margin (profit). We have since changed the price to $14.89 to avoid any confusion. Take a step back and think rationally here, it was an unintended error.

If you want to take offense for the "Thanks China", so be it, but there were no bad intentions including with the numbers and what they mean.

Thank you for your understanding, and please give us a chance to regain your business.

Sincerely,
Unionjack Liquors

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Okay it's no longer just LA and the bay area, all of California has a stay at home order now.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

large_gourd posted:

I'm finding it hard to stop thinking about this aspect of it, and it's for selfish reasons basically, but it's the uncertainty of so is there just going to be any point in trying to live for the next two years? Which is over-dramatic, but I think governments need to get a solid plan and timescale out - a real one, not some bullshit about oh we'll lockdown for 2 weeks, when everyone knows that isn't all that needs to happen - so that people can start planning their lives around something again, even if that something is poo poo, it's better than sustained uncertainty about basic daily life.

I'm just thinking how everyone's quality of life is about to go down to a point where behaviour could become unpredictable and maybe pretty drastic. I'm thinking are suicide rates just going to explode? Cos a lot of people, including me, weren't doing that well BEFORE any of this for other reasons which this society shutdown makes so much worse. Stuff like that.

loving bonkers, man. I'm fried.

The grim reality will be that letting 4 million olds die will be less of a body count than hundreds of millions from societal collapse

If this doesn't burn out in a month or so then control will become moot and it's either mass death trying to keep people locked down or let the 1 percent fatality rate do it's thing and back to normal imo

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

19 o'clock posted:

I love that their response was, "We're not racist, but...."

https://www.facebook.com/Union-Jack-Liquor-143586009008987/

"Our previous price for optimal profit was racist, so we made it more expensive."

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

"Our previous price for optimal profit was racist, so we made it more expensive."

"We continue to make bad decisions, no matter how minor."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay it's no longer just LA and the bay area, all of California has a stay at home order now.

post links folks

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/19/gov-newsom-expands-bay-area-shelter-in-place-to-all-of-california/

quote:

Marking the most sweeping measure taken by a state to slow the spread of the COVID-19 disease, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday ordered all of the state’s 40 million residents to stay at home with exceptions for essential work, food or other needs.

Newsom’s order, which does not include a defined end rate, mirrors America’s first regional shelter-in-place mandate instituted just days ago by seven Bay Area counties — Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Santa Clara, San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Cruz.

“This is a moment in time, and it’s a challenging moment, and it may be many moments in the foreseeable future, but nonetheless we will process, we will work together through this moment of challenge and we will triumph over fear, anxiety and this disease,” Newsom said during a press conference Thursday night.

As for enforcement of the statewide order, Newsom said there will be “a social contract” where everyone will be asked to help hold one another accountable for maintaining distance and adhering to the rules. “People will self-regulate their behavior and begin to adjust and adapt as they have been quite significant,” he said.

Under the statewide shelter-in-place mandate, “non-essential” businesses are required to close. Businesses allowed to operate during the lockdown include grocery stores, health care facilities, pharmacies, gas stations, convenience stores, child care facilities, banks, hardware stores and laundromats. Restaurants are permitted to stay open, but only for delivery and takeout service.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Noblesse Obliged posted:

The grim reality will be that letting 4 million olds die will be less of a body count than hundreds of millions from societal collapse

If this doesn't burn out in a month or so then control will become moot and it's either mass death trying to keep people locked down or let the 1 percent fatality rate do it's thing and back to normal imo

Yeah a Star Trek TNG post scarcity utopia might be able to handle shutting down everything and having everyone live and work in isolation, maybe, but we can't. Not entirely sure even TNG could handle it for 18 months though, humans would start to go crazy before long.

Like the assisted living facility my mom lives in has put heavy restrictions on visitors, and it's real hard on the perpetually socially isolated old folks who barely got duty visits before. The residents are also being asked not to leave the property, and all programs and social activities (except meals) have been canceled. Don't go shopping. Don't go for walks. How many months or years of that can people endure before they feel like they have nothing to live for?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Welp
https://twitter.com/RamiJarrah/status/1240823001500745728

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Refineries?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://time.com/5805953/home-covid-19-test-everlywell/

Choo choo here comes the capitalism train all aboard! I'm kind of surprised it's as cheap as it is.

edit:

LanceHunter posted:

I would be careful trusting this company. As a friend of mine of FB who has worked with them put it: "I wouldn't trust anything these guys put out. It will be an LDT from a third party lab. The test itself will not be FDA cleared. They have (up until now) existed on the periphery of legality by testing for nutritional issues and peripheral health issues as opposed to actual diagnostically relevant testing. They keep prices low by contracting with third party, fly-by-night labs, and distance themselves from actual liability. There is a reason they are cheap and accessible."

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 20, 2020

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Withnail posted:

Oh gently caress, I’ve shopped there :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Duck and Cover posted:

https://time.com/5805953/home-covid-19-test-everlywell/

Choo choo here comes the capitalism train all aboard! I'm kind of surprised it's as cheap as it is.

Yeah, $135 test kit is surprisingly reasonable. Obviously it would be better if the government was conducting (free) testing on every possible case, but since that isn't happening a cheap mail in test is something, at least.

Some folks are just mildly curious if their cold is covid. Some are barely ill but looking for "I survived Covid-19!" bragging rights. Some may be in the awful situation where they don't qualify for government testing, but require a positive test result to receive particular benefits.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Just someone going through a hospital in Italy. Warning, lots of sick people in what looks like a pretty dire situation but being cared for.

https://vimeo.com/398334975

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 20, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

It was a price suggested to us by the computer for an optimal margin (profit)

yep, that looks like a storefront that uses a HAL 9000 to price lovely alcohol

sorry the computer's racist guys

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yeah my guess is by mid-April state and local governments are just going to start lifting their restrictions and "encouraging" people and businesses to get back to work. The virus will just keep circulating and pushing the bounds of our health care system (lol) & killing people until there's a vaccine. Our system just isn't set up to handle this for very long at all.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I'll be the first to say it, Turmp fuckin up a little bit

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Scientist posted:

I'll be the first to say it, Turmp fuckin up a little bit

no way man ill keep voting republican because dur durrrr durrfrtokrgbtrht

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My buddy works in insurance and Lloyd's just removed riot and civil commotion coverage from their property policies. Take it with a grain of salt, but still.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 20, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My roommate who is snoring like crazy. I've never heard him snore before. Welp! Guess I'm dead.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pinche Rudo posted:

My buddy works in insurance and Lloyd's just removed riot and civil commotion coverage from their property policies. Take it with a grain of salt, but still.

Why would you remove coverage? Or do you mean the insurance company itself is not covering this anymore.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Philthy posted:

Why would you remove coverage? Or do you mean the insurance company itself is not covering this anymore.

The latter case. My wording was lovely. They won't issue it in any new policies.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably new and renewal policies

They're contractually obligated to pay out on existing policies

e:f;b

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My mom works with developmentally disabled adults. She drives around to them and helps them with chores and drives them where they need to go. She told me today that she's going to take "the twins" to their volunteering which is kind of enriching and they apparently love doing it. Something involving those pyramid puzzles with the pegs. My mind was kind of a red haze at that point.

Every protestation fell on deaf ears. She's an adult, etc. I should stop following the news so closely.

All I can say is thank God the PA governor closed all non-essential businesses. She probably still needs to do the rounds, but hopefully she can keep the grocery store trips to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Beachcomber posted:

My mom works with developmentally disabled adults. She drives around to them and helps them with chores and drives them where they need to go. She told me today that she's going to take "the twins" to their volunteering which is kind of enriching and they apparently love doing it.

You mom sounds like a good person.