Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It's really bad for people working hospitality on working holiday visas in Sydney, their dodgy employers and landlords are really loving them over.

NVJ has a job as a super spreader, he'll come to your house and spread whatever you need on toast for you. Pity Tom Hanks didn't hire him in time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
If this poo poo starts getting real I have plans for my local community that involves bolt cutters , garden stakes and an amount of gardening

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm going to start off by saying I've never been to your country and the only thing I know about the collective "you" is what I've seen on TV (mainly the fires and sport) and what I've read on Reddit.
I respect the way Australia handled the brushfire epidemic at the beginning of the year. You took everybody's help without stride. You weren't pompous at all. You cared about the small cities just as much as the large. You were saddened and expressed your sadness when Australians and foreigners died helping you.
You also know how important sport is to the well being and normalcy of the people and have done everything in your power to keep it safe and still go on despite your indifference between which is the "real" footy (NRL and AFL). (I'm sorry, but I think this is an important thing as shallow some people might think it to be - I might be wrong).
You are a small country comparatively (population wise) but you stick together. You're a part of this world in every way. And you make it known.
Basically, I want you to know, that most Americans care about you, and understand what you're going through just as much as we are.
Stay safe and know that most of this world are thinking about you. From what you see, Americans are a selfish people, but I want you to know that most of us do not align with what we seem to be. Most of us are caring people that want you to get through this as much as we do.
The southern hemisphere (in my opinion - again, I might be wrong how you think of us) is known as just as important as we Northeners are.
I might be rambling on, but I just wanted to say: stay safe down there, we've got your back.

https://reddit.com/r/australia/comments/fl63xa/an_open_letter_to_australians_from_an_american/ .

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm work from home effective Monday as well as the 2 other software developers in the office. Myself and our lead engineer both have nueses for wives and mine's in ICU so the company is rightly concerned about us being transmission vectors. Everyone else in the office lives around the corner, so if it's non-essential to show up you don't.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did a trial WFH day yesterday, we're only a small studio but it's VFX so there's large amounts of data and lots of different software and pipeline issues. Went pretty well cos our IT guy is very competent but mentally I don't really like it. My bike commutes to the office are part of my exercise regime and they separate work brain from home brain really nicely. If it comes to it I have no doubt I'd adapt but I wouldn't do it by choice.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Was just at the butcher's and they said they had to make a second lot of sausages yesterday because they sold out.

IGA had no paper products and there was no sugar or flour on the shelves either. They still had plenty of fresh fruit and veggies and they don't seem to have restricted frozen veggies yet.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I already work from home two days a week to help get the kids to school/kinder so it hasn't been much adjustment to make it full time. The office hasn't closed yet but the option was given for everyone who can to work at home and the majority have taken it.

I've worked from home full time before so it isn't a huge mental adjustment. That said when I took this job many years ago I was happy to be back in an office environment. So far people are making an effort to get on video calls etc rather than just email/chat which helps with feeling connected.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Wonder how the NBN is gonna handle a bunch more daytime traffic load if everyone works from home

Watch it loving melt into pieces because of the garbage craftsmanship lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm glad I have a surgical mask fetish tbh

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Yeah I’m finding making the mental adjustment to working from home kinda difficult. I find it’s hard to focus and be as productive as I would at the office, like my brain just refuses to shift fully into “work mode”. I’ve tried to remove as much distraction as possible from my surroundings but it’s kinda hard in a one bedroom apartment.Im thinking next week I’m gonna start going to the office again just so I can get some poo poo done

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

McSpergin posted:

Wonder how the NBN is gonna handle a bunch more daytime traffic load if everyone works from home

It’s just a crappy system, regardless of how good the construction is. If you got the worlds best oar maker and the worlds best paper maker to make you the worlds best paper oar, it’s still going to suck poo poo once you start paddling.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Get ready for fathers claiming they are "babysitting" their children.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kharnifex posted:

NVJ has a job as a super spreader, he'll come to your house and spread whatever you need on toast for you. Pity Tom Hanks didn't hire him in time!

Everyone making fun of Tom Hanks is such a baby. These are people who think salted butter is too savoury.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

I did a trial WFH day yesterday, we're only a small studio but it's VFX so there's large amounts of data and lots of different software and pipeline issues. Went pretty well cos our IT guy is very competent but mentally I don't really like it. My bike commutes to the office are part of my exercise regime and they separate work brain from home brain really nicely. If it comes to it I have no doubt I'd adapt but I wouldn't do it by choice.

So keep the routine up, and go for a ride around the block then start work when you get back home. That mental seperation can be important.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

McSpergin posted:

Took them long enough but they implemented a 40% CVC bonus.

HFC will probably still be hosed especially on upload.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Get exclusive NVJ job descriptions on my onlyfans for 9.95$ a month.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ABB is doing maintenance on my lines today anyways. Such a gently caress system.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Just went to DFO to grab a suit for my cousin's wedding as mine is too big for me now. There was barely anyone there. in and out in 15 mins

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

well why not posted:

ABB is doing maintenance on my lines today anyways. Such a gently caress system.

We've got an unscheduled ABB outage here at the moment.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
All the travel agent staff at the mall look like they’re about to end it all

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Testing out my backup mobile-internet connection:

lol god drat. Pretty good since I'm 2.8km from the mobile tower and there's a big hill blocking line of sight.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Testing out my backup mobile-internet connection:

lol god drat. Pretty good since I'm 2.8km from the mobile tower and there's a big hill blocking line of sight.

Oh sure it's fine now, if your neighbourhood has a fault expect it to provide sfa.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Netflix is cutting traffic to Europe by 25% to deal with the load there.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

guys, are we hosed?
I'm picking up a real "hosed" vibe

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The systems we rely upon are hosed and haven't been stress tested

Now is a time where we will be tested

Make friends with your neighbours

Maybe scope out a place to set up an ad hoc community garden

You won't die , but things will likely change and for the better

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Centrelink is in all of us now.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

So keep the routine up, and go for a ride around the block then start work when you get back home. That mental seperation can be important.

Yep I would do something like that, it didn't help that my wife had a day off so we were both home and it felt like a weekend.

One thing that fried my brain was 8 hours of navigating between network storage at work over VPN and the mirrored project structure set up at home, I lost track of which mapped drives were remote and half the time I was remote desktop-ing into my work machine and flicking between desktops.
At one point the IT guy was RDing from his home computer to his work computer and tightVNC-ing from that onto my home machine to take control of my mouse to set stuff up and then he RDed into my work machine from my home machine to show me how that works. desktop'ception

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

EoinCannon posted:

Yep I would do something like that, it didn't help that my wife had a day off so we were both home and it felt like a weekend.

One thing that fried my brain was 8 hours of navigating between network storage at work over VPN and the mirrored project structure set up at home, I lost track of which mapped drives were remote and half the time I was remote desktop-ing into my work machine and flicking between desktops.
At one point the IT guy was RDing from his home computer to his work computer and tightVNC-ing from that onto my home machine to take control of my mouse to set stuff up and then he RDed into my work machine from my home machine to show me how that works. desktop'ception

This is the future Linus torvolds wants

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Abalone Malone posted:

guys, are we hosed?

sweet thursday posted:

Just saw bread where donuts should be. It has been a pleasure knowing you all

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

I hope we get a govt payment like the states are doing

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Drint Blasters posted:

I hope we get a govt payment like the states are doing

People on benefits are getting $750.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Abalone Malone posted:

guys, are we hosed?

the view from inside: we're proper hosed and going with the duck and cover strategy.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Reclaiming public space for community gardens is something that is likely to become a very real battleground if the consumer economy tanks 10% as badly as the cspam wanks are jerking off fantasising about. I doubt the supply chain is gonna gently caress itself in a society crippling way but ultimately things are gonna be real tight, previously maintained public spaces are gonna be neglected as local govs feel the squeeze and people are gonna start looking at their overgrown sidewalks, median strips and parks and wonder what they can do with those spaces that’s more productive than just getting a sweet urban snake and rat population going

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 20, 2020

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Good thing I already got fired a week before this whole thing kicked off

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

~Coxy posted:

Everyone making fun of Tom Hanks is such a baby. These are people who think salted butter is too savoury.

A PR nightmare!

My local butcher said its starting to become a nightmare to get stock in,

Im glad I did a costco run on the cusp of poo poo getting insane.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Of you're in Sydney, a lot of the Harris farm markets are still good for produce and meat

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Any goon in Canberra that needs help let me know I have a car (within reason)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Reclaiming public space for community gardens is something that is likely to become a very real battleground if the consumer economy tanks 10% as badly as the cspam wanks are jerking off fantasising about. I doubt the supply chain is gonna gently caress itself in a society crippling way but ultimately things are gonna be real tight, previously maintained public spaces are gonna be neglected as local govs feel the squeeze and people are gonna start looking at their overgrown sidewalks, median strips and parks and wonder what they can do with those spaces that’s more productive than just getting a sweet urban snake and rat population going

50% of urban dads are psyched as hell for an excuse to rip out their wive's roses and put in some capsicum and tomatoes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Outrail posted:

50% of urban dads are psyched as hell for an excuse to rip out their wive's roses and put in some capsicum and tomatoes

roses are poo poo flowers anyway. if you're growing food and you don't have a fucktonne of marigolds poking their heads up you're basically telling the poo poo bugs that gnaw at your stuff that its their garden now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

There is a little cliff near my house that gets heaps of sunlight but is barred off by chain link fence

The moment the economy eats poo poo I'm bolt cutting that fence and moving the fence and putting in a garden