Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

how are people building their habitats? I do ok with them for the first couple of pops but after a certain point I can't provide enough housing and jobs to keep up with pop growth on them

I generally do ~3-4 job districts and the rest are housing. For non-mineral ones I'll eventually move all districts into housing and just use buildings for sci/trade (megacorp, i have no energy jobs). I use the trade/sci districts at first since there aren't as many building slots. You take the voidborn perk. I also have my people modded for -10% housing and you want stability bonuses so you can just tank the overcrowding a bit.

I doubt this is optimal, but it's working for me. One of my original habs has 87 jerks on it with 86% stability and missing 10 housing. There is still some space for upgraded buildings/replacement buildings and enough stability room to eat some more overcrowding. Or I can start mass offloading people to the free ruined ringworld from the cybrexwhatevers. My capital still has some research districts that I honestly dont need anyway, but will replace with lab buildings and flip over to housing.

Next time I want to do this and not have any outside people or mod in replacement planet prefs. I gave in after a while when I got some refugees and colonized the only two planets in my area and also set up on that ringworld.

Not sure if its a bug, but if you put your void dwellers on the ringworld, they get a modifier that you can just genemod out.

e;

ulmont posted:

3. Just go straight tall until endgame with like maybe one additional habitat.

I was able to avoid building a fleet for a long while and saved for another hab and was able to keep saving and building habs over and over. Being a megacorp helped since I could also get branch offices in as well. Probably wouldn't work if there was someone super hostile next to me though.

3k alloys sounds worse then it is.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

REDjackeT posted:

3k alloys sounds worse then it is.

It's the 200 influence that kills me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ulmont posted:

They always increased sprawl, just less than planets.

I think it depends on what your goals are, but I see a couple of different possibilities:

1. All in on robots. You tech up to robots and then colonize with them.
2. Build tall until you find your first race, suck up to them for the migration treaty, and then play with them effectively.
3. Just go straight tall until endgame with like maybe one additional habitat.

I'm playing #2 right now, and it's fine, but it was just a delayed normal start with a random actual race to colonize with.
The game keeps handing me random ways out of this. A bunch of caravaneer babies, a bunch of slug dudes, and a free gaia world. Once you have somewhere to grow food it's pretty straightforward.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

ulmont posted:

It's the 200 influence that kills me.

I didn't end up taking a very big amount of space and I used no influence edicts, it was tight, but doable. Early on there aren't many branch offices worth it if you even FIND someone else.

Splicer posted:

The game keeps handing me random ways out of this. A bunch of caravaneer babies, a bunch of slug dudes, and a free gaia world. Once you have somewhere to grow food it's pretty straightforward.

I have 4 hydro farms and the bonus food building on one of the starter habs and was mostly fine until I started putting some fools on planets and the ringworld, but I just build those districts now. I bought food once. I probably could have flipped food policies at certain points but I kept forgetting that was a thing.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

How do i kill these sentinels they are occupying and destroying my best planet HELP

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You don't. Each one of them is 3000 strength EACH. Should have taken their offer.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Bloodly posted:

You don't. Each one of them is 3000 strength EACH. Should have taken their offer.

they didn’t give me a loving offer!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Other bugs: armies lose being "aggressive" after they take a planet.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah just sent 50 armies against these fuckers. they have literally crippled my empire. i killed ONE

well time to start another game i guess. gonna try another inward perfection empire, i find they’re harder than genocidal empires tbh.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What kind of empire are you playing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I too decided that a void dwelling race really should have the 10% housing reduction trait, it's both sensible and thematic. Bunk beds for everyone! I am not far enough along to say for certain that I know what I'm doing but so far things are going well

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wait what are these sentinels? I don't think I've ever seen that before, is it new?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Archaeology site that sometimes pops up on a recently colonized world, your colonists stumble across a bunch of absolutely fuckoff huge statues out in the middle of the woods and it goes from there.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Seems like envoys being able to flat-out mind control aliens into liking you makes it way too easy to just befriend all your neighbors forever.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Deuce posted:

Seems like envoys being able to flat-out mind control aliens into liking you makes it way too easy to just befriend all your neighbors forever.

How to win friends, and charm xenos -or- Manufacturing C.O.N.S.E.N.T.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deuce posted:

If you're in a setup where neighbour A hates neighbour B then making friends with both has potential consequences. If you, like a game I had earlier, spawn in a game with a ludicrous amount of xenophiles so everyone already kind of likes each other, yeah you're never going to have a war unless you want one.

Game desperately needs a "Improve/Harm third party relations" action that makes neighbour A dislike neighbour C (and neighbour C dislike you a bit)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Even as a purifier they gave me a choice of keeping them or destroying them. On 2.6.1 at least.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Splicer posted:

Game desperately needs a "Improve/Harm third party relations" action that makes neighbour A dislike neighbour C (and neighbour C dislike you a bit)

I can't believe that they didn't ship Federations with this. I mean I can, but it's an insane oversight.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Splicer posted:

If you're in a setup where neighbour A hates neighbour B then making friends with both has potential consequences. If you, like a game I had earlier, spawn in a game with a ludicrous amount of xenophiles so everyone already kind of likes each other, yeah you're never going to have a war unless you want one.

EU4 solves this by making the AI select new rivals if its below cap which tends to drive conflict, but: it has way more nations, and it plays every nation like an imperialist rear end in a top hat.

Seems like a good solution for Stellaris would be to try to avoid large clumps of same-ethics empires and try to spread them out in both map-space and ethics-space. It's just basic 6-dimensional dart throwing, really.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I can't believe that they didn't ship Federations with this. I mean I can, but it's an insane oversight.

Yeah this is the huge one that I knew was gonna piss me off as soon as I read the dev diary, and now playing a bit yeah I'm definitely pissed off. Right now me and three other federation members are on good terms with the neighboring Hammerheads and want to offer them associate status, but the Militarist Shrimps are voting no. I have no way to lean on the Shrimps and maybe call in a favor to force them to vote yes on this, I have no way to try and mediate between the Shrimps and the Hammerheads to improve their relations, they just say no and that's the end of it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I had a pre FTL planet ascend to space. I as using the Load Bearing? population mod. They went hostile right away, so I laid a claim on them, and invaded with some titanic life. They had ascended on a Relicworld. They had 70 pops and no infrastructure, with no farm districts possible. My population went from 80 to 150, with massive unemployment, massive food debt, and massive consumer good debt.

Awesome.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's a good federation builder build?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

E:hell of a double post.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So the Ringworld Start origin; does the fact that one of the sections is ruined mean it can't qualify as a Repaired Megastructure for Galactic Wonders?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

kidkissinger posted:

What's a good federation builder build?

Xenophile megacorp.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I managed to snag a Ryzen 5 3600 over the holidays and with the performance improvements from this patch, around which map size do you guys think will be fine to play on? I've pretty much stuck with Tiny/Small since my old hardware could not manage lategame at all.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i'm running an 800 star map in late game (2400) atm with an i5-8400 and performance is good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The federation president is currently having the 25k federation fleet fly back and forth between two systems in the middle of their empire, for months, while we're losing a war :bang:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

So the Ringworld Start origin; does the fact that one of the sections is ruined mean it can't qualify as a Repaired Megastructure for Galactic Wonders?

Repairing any of the two available sections will set the proper country flag.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus. Aight.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Playing my first game as a robot hivemind that can't do diplomacy. This early game seems like a slog, but maybe that's because half the mechanics aren't available to my species.

There are all these little scientific discoveries but they don't have nearly the same impact as finding tech in something like Civ, and the random cards of tech make it seem like I'm getting pretty railroaded. Aside from just picking civ traits that help me with population, what should I be doing? What's impactful right now?

Also, I'm curious about what size fleet I should keep. I have alloys to spend but feel like 12 corvettes is enough when my neighbors are fairly neutral (despite me being an psychotic hivemind).

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 20, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What kind of evil hive mind are you exactly?

What impactful for you is going to be setting up a purge planet. You have to aim to win one good war, taking as many pops as you can from anyone you can. Resettle them all to some tiny planet in your space, and use the Martial Law edict (I forget what it's called for robots) that had soldiers give stability. Then you just keep accumulating pops there, generating untold resources while you build a bigger and bigger fleet, enabling you to stuff even more organics in there. When you run out of organics, turn it into a machine world or explode it with a Colossus and You Win.

Also when you're playing an evil non Diplo type the answer to 'how much fleet should I have' is always 'as much as possible'.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If you're a normal empire a good rule of thumb is to periodically check up on the non-friendly neighbors and make sure their fleet strength is at least equivalent so nobody gets any ideas, but yeah if you're a genocidal empire the answer to "how much of my economy should be dedicated to guns" is "all of it"

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 20, 2020

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

What kind of evil hive mind are you exactly?

What impactful for you is going to be setting up a purge planet. You have to aim to win one good war, taking as many pops as you can from anyone you can. Resettle them all to some tiny planet in your space, and use the Martial Law edict (I forget what it's called for robots) that had soldiers give stability. Then you just keep accumulating pops there, generating untold resources while you build a bigger and bigger fleet, enabling you to stuff even more organics in there. When you run out of organics, turn it into a machine world or explode it with a Colossus and You Win.

Also when you're playing an evil non Diplo type the answer to 'how much fleet should I have' is always 'as much as possible'.

Thanks for the advice. I'm the Gestalt Consciousness, so full Borg.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ah, if you're Driven Assimilators/the Borg then you actually don't want to genocide all the organics they turn into useful worker-cyborgs instead. Slightly different from the standard Skynet "just carbonize all the meatbags" but you still definitely need a real big fleet.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

androo posted:

So theres actually a couple of different kinds even within the Gestalt Consciousness. They are determined by the civics you picked at the start (those blue hexagons on the government screen)

The important ones for machines that massively affect gamplay are Driven Assimalators, Determined Exterminators and Rogue Servitors

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

androo posted:

You aren’t full Borg unless you are a Driven Assimilator but even those can sometimes find allies and friends. Probably easier now with envoys for your One Chosen Buddy. There you do want to abuse your total war CB as soon as possible though; one good war to wipeout an empire and you’re well ahead on the economy curve.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

ulmont posted:

You aren’t full Borg unless you are a Driven Assimilator but even those can sometimes find allies and friends. Probably easier now with envoys for your One Chosen Buddy. There you do want to abuse your total war CB as soon as possible though; one good war to wipeout an empire and you’re well ahead on the economy curve.

Hmm, right. I'm the determined exterminator.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

androo posted:

Hmm, right. I'm the determined exterminator.

Yeah, that's probably not what you want for your first game. They are the purge all fleshy meatbag type of robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I don't have an answer to this but that one irreparable section sets off my brainworms. Let me fix that 4th section!