Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol at people who don’t have indestructible seasoning yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Lol at people who have dirty cast iron pans

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I would be thrilled if someone reasesoned my pan, it's getting kinda lumpy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

What are your go-to recipes for a simple tomato sauce (for pasta and lasagna). We just got a new fridge/freezer and now have a proper freezer instead of a little section on top of the fridge, so we can batch cook and freeze. (The black beans question above was prompted by me cooking a whole bag of dried beans, mostly to freeze).

Do you use tinned tomatoes, passata, or both? Tomato puree?

I would probably sweat down onions and maybe finely-diced carrots (not authentic but to get some more vegetables into the child)
Add garlic and tomato puree (and maybe a bit of smoked paprika for a smoky base) and cook for a couple of minutes
Maybe add a splash of balsamic vinegar to deglaze - not sure if it needs the extra acidity with the tomatoes
Add tomatoes (chopped or passata? Both?) and maybe a touch of sugar
Cook, cook, cook. Season.

Any tips, amendments or suggestions?

Thanks!
My favourite no-effort generic red sauce is just stock pot + can of tomatoes + a knob of butter + an onion, halved + 45 minutes of simmering. Fish the onion out at the end, put it on toast or something like that.

Add oregano at the start or basil at the end or whatever to tune it for your specific application, and I pretty much always throw in a splash of fish sauce, but the simple as poo poo pattern of tomatoes + fat + onion is a durable red sauce base.

That's for cook-ahead and freeze type poo poo. Most of the time I'll just do a little olive oil, some garlic or onion or whatever, sweat, add tomatoes, cook until just soft enough, done. But the whole hook there is for the tomatoes to retain a lot of their super bright fresh tomato flavour, and to maximise that I pretty much always do that kind of sauce a la minute. So I usually only freeze/store the tomato sauces where there's more heat + time + other poo poo where sitting with everything together is just going to naturally help what the sauce is trying to do.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Squashy Nipples posted:

Where on the spectrum is the crispy fried calamari rings with banana peppers? It feels Americanized to me, despite being seafood.

My guess is probably how heavily breaded or battered it is

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

DOP San Marzanos are the good stuff, yeah. There's no labeling restriction on the term San Marzano in the US, so anything not marked DOP is suspect.

I like to add a small can of tomato paste when making a big batch of sauce, it intensifies the flavor. Alton Brown advocated for a bit of wine in the sauce due to alcohol-soluble flavors; I don't know if that's A Thing, but if I have some leftover wine (or need to open something for that night) I'll add some. If it seems too acidic, add a dash of sugar to balance (it takes less than you'd expect), but I find wine usually makes that unnecessary. I also stir in some anchovies/fish sauce and/or parmesan rind early in the simmer for extra umami. Onions are good, garlic is good. Most other vegetables are good. A bit of fresh basil or oregano or even parsley close to the end of the boil is nice but far from necessary.

Yeah, splash of table wine and a little fish sauce or Worcestershire are my jam.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

My favourite no-effort generic red sauce is just stock pot + can of tomatoes + a knob of butter + an onion, halved + 45 minutes of simmering. Fish the onion out at the end, put it on toast or something like that.

Add oregano at the start or basil at the end or whatever to tune it for your specific application, and I pretty much always throw in a splash of fish sauce, but the simple as poo poo pattern of tomatoes + fat + onion is a durable red sauce base.

That's for cook-ahead and freeze type poo poo. Most of the time I'll just do a little olive oil, some garlic or onion or whatever, sweat, add tomatoes, cook until just soft enough, done. But the whole hook there is for the tomatoes to retain a lot of their super bright fresh tomato flavour, and to maximise that I pretty much always do that kind of sauce a la minute. So I usually only freeze/store the tomato sauces where there's more heat + time + other poo poo where sitting with everything together is just going to naturally help what the sauce is trying to do.

Yeah that's the Hazan nyt recipe more or less right? I use that one for bases for anything I'm not gonna have a lot of meat in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I don't care for adding butter to tomato sauce for traditional red sauce stuff. It's fine, but for me personally, it's just not as good as olive oil. I'll take a can of tomatoes or a jar of passata, cook it with diced garlic, sometimes onion. Whatever herbs are around, usually thyme and oregano, or a couple handfuls of fresh basil, maybe some rosemary. Dried go in at the beginning, fresh go in later. Salt. Check for acidity / sweetness and add either if necessary.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That Works posted:

Yeah that's the Hazan nyt recipe more or less right? I use that one for bases for anything I'm not gonna have a lot of meat in.
It's probably Hazan just because she's responsible for a huge loving chunk of all traditional Italian cooking knowledge in the English-speaking world but I don't remember where I first learned it from. It's super simple so even if it wasn't Hazan directly it was probably from somebody who got it from her.

mediaphage posted:

I don't care for adding butter to tomato sauce for traditional red sauce stuff. It's fine, but for me personally, it's just not as good as olive oil.
I haven't done a bunch of double blind experiments or anything, but my impression is that I can tell the difference if it's a fresh sauce and can't if it's either a sauce that's been cooked down (so like an all day Sunday gravy type thing) or if it's been through the freezer first.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

It's probably Hazan just because she's responsible for a huge loving chunk of all traditional Italian cooking knowledge in the English-speaking world but I don't remember where I first learned it from. It's super simple so even if it wasn't Hazan directly it was probably from somebody who got it from her.

I haven't done a bunch of double blind experiments or anything, but my impression is that I can tell the difference if it's a fresh sauce and can't if it's either a sauce that's been cooked down (so like an all day Sunday gravy type thing) or if it's been through the freezer first.

Did you mean this about butter or san marzano

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Did you mean this about butter or san marzano
Butter vs olive oil.

I don't think I can tell the difference between dop tomatoes and non-dop tomatoes in any application. I end up using more tomatoes from the garden than from a can anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Butter vs olive oil.

I don't think I can tell the difference between dop tomatoes and non-dop tomatoes in any application. I end up using more tomatoes from the garden than from a can anyway.

Ah yea I'm sure it depends on how much you add but the butter thing took the internet by storm a few years ago and i just didn't care for it as much. It's fine? But there's some sweetness about it I didn't like. This is for a standard red sauce, though, I don't have any necessarily philosophical issues with tomato and butter together.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

mediaphage posted:

The internet, by and large, is totally wrong about sourdough and wastes way too much. It’s not nearly as finicky as you think. You can leave it in the fridge for weeks or months at a time, add a tablespoon or two to a 1:1 flour:water mixture, and throw away the rest.

Truth. Haven't touched mine since Chistmas. Going to wake it up and start baking regularly since I don't have time as an excuse any more.

I read a recipe somewhere for sourdough pancakes using discarded starter. Pancakes aren't waste!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My tomato soup is like 25% butter but I don't use any in like red sauce or marinara except maybe a knob as it finished in the pan with the pasta

Hauki
May 11, 2010

pile of brown posted:

My tomato soup is like 25% butter but I don't use any in like red sauce or marinara except maybe a knob as it finished in the pan with the pasta

i always finish my knob in the pasta too

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because I am completely inauthentic, I make my tomato sauce as follows:

A few bits of old celery, chopped
Carrots that are starting to sprout, peeled and diced
Onions, diced

Sweat these in two metric glugs of olive oil, and any leftover anchovy oil that’s lying around, then chuck in garlic, oregano, bay leaves, black pepper, tomato purée and fry for a couple more minutes.

Add a few cheap tins of tomatoes, whatever red wine you happen to have in your hand at the time, fish sauce, pesto, Worcestershire sauce and a parmesan rind.

Cook for as long as you can bothered, blend and freeze in enormous quantities to be used later with meatballs, ground beef for bolognese and lasagne, pizza etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Because I am completely inauthentic, I make my tomato sauce as follows:

A few bits of old celery, chopped
Carrots that are starting to sprout, peeled and diced
Onions, diced

Sweat these in two metric glugs of olive oil, and any leftover anchovy oil that’s lying around, then chuck in garlic, oregano, bay leaves, black pepper, tomato purée and fry for a couple more minutes.

Add a few cheap tins of tomatoes, whatever red wine you happen to have in your hand at the time, fish sauce, pesto, Worcestershire sauce and a parmesan rind.

Cook for as long as you can bothered, blend and freeze in enormous quantities to be used later with meatballs, ground beef for bolognese and lasagne, pizza etc.

As I write this outraged ‘Ndrangheta hitmen are on their way to your home.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The whole "baking is an exact science" thing is bullshit anyway. The fact that most people who say that measure their dry ingredients by volume should be a tipoff.

I'm not that great a baker, but I always read it as "baking is an exact science compared to cooking". Like when my mom was teaching me to cook she basically slapped measuring things out of my hand and emphasized learning to cook by eye, but when I was baking, yeah, then you had to measure. Baking by eye was advanced stuff.

To this day if I'm doing say, a sauce recipe "tablespoon" = "a glug that I roughly know to be right screw it I'm gonna taste this as I go", while a new muffin recipe or whatever I'll probably at least grab a spoon even if I'm still just judging relative to the spoon vaguely.

Also Muir Glen are the best canned tomatoes and I will defend them to my dying breath.

And I'm either a pretentious dick or a filthy philistine depending on who you talk to cause my go-to red sauce is just a simple arrabiata. Look, spicy things are delicious and they sop up garlic bread wonderfully, okay?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pile of brown posted:

Have you tried the whole "blend some bread into the soup" trick instead of the butter? I love it that way.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm not that great a baker, but I always read it as "baking is an exact science compared to cooking". Like when my mom was teaching me to cook she basically slapped measuring things out of my hand and emphasized learning to cook by eye, but when I was baking, yeah, then you had to measure. Baking by eye was advanced stuff.

To this day if I'm doing say, a sauce recipe "tablespoon" = "a glug that I roughly know to be right screw it I'm gonna taste this as I go", while a new muffin recipe or whatever I'll probably at least grab a spoon even if I'm still just judging relative to the spoon vaguely.

Also Muir Glen are the best canned tomatoes and I will defend them to my dying breath.

And I'm either a pretentious dick or a filthy philistine depending on who you talk to cause my go-to red sauce is just a simple arrabiata. Look, spicy things are delicious and they sop up garlic bread wonderfully, okay?

Neither imo, this whole idea of secret family recipe all-day tomato sauce magic bullshit is dying out and good riddance

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Have you tried the whole "blend some bread into the soup" trick instead of the butter? I love it that way.

Not for soup,but I've made sauces thickened with bread

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Speaking of pasta-chat.

I never really got into puttanesca but I'm thinking about giving it another day in court pretty soon. Thoughts? Comments?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

As I write this outraged ‘Ndrangheta hitmen are on their way to your home.

My wife sometimes puts lentils in it

BRING IT ON

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I don’t care if others put lentils in red sauce; personally I think lentils are better as lentils though and not every red sauce needs chunks?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

really rubbing in your tomato, pasta & lentil privilege itt

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The lentils go in before the blending, they are barely detectable

Except when she sometimes put in too many, and the sauce becomes quite mealy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Scientastic posted:

The lentils go in before the blending, they are barely detectable

Except when she sometimes put in too many, and the sauce becomes quite mealy

Lol so in the best case you can’t tell they’re there, and in the worst case they’re bad.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

She has many other redeeming features

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Speaking of pasta-chat.

I never really got into puttanesca but I'm thinking about giving it another day in court pretty soon. Thoughts? Comments?

I loving hate black olives, so no whore sauce for me, thank you very much.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best pasta is either an ultra meaty "Sunday Gravy" sauce that takes an entire say to make properly, or a simple Rapini pasta that takes like 20 minutes to make

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uh aglio e olio?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yknow what's best for pasta-chat?

Day drinking. gently caress yeah. This whole loving week, lead me to come home and have three shots. I saw some motherfucker in the Meijer parking lot with a "Hilary for Prison 2016" and Info Wars bumper stickers and just. I can't.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Manuel Calavera posted:

Yknow what's best for pasta-chat?

Day drinking. gently caress yeah. This whole loving week, lead me to come home and have three shots. I saw some motherfucker in the Meijer parking lot with a "Hilary for Prison 2016" and Info Wars bumper stickers and just. I can't.

I hear you. As the stress goes up, my old 'come home, sit down, drink well gin from the bottle' habits are coming back with a vengeance.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2020

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm working from home, but off duty hours are definitely drinkier than usual these days.

Speaking of, I'm off duty now. Mezcal old fashioned, here I come!

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My come home drink, I dub the Dark Harvest. Because YA REAP WHAT YA SOW BITCH. I'll be fine actually because I'm staying hydrated. It was a shot each of Meyers dark rum, Evan Williams, and Pinnacle peach vodka.
You cannae judge because a fifth of Pinnacle is 10bux here. I'm a basic bitch. I currently have three bottles.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm on 24 hour emergency call right now, so I can't even drink much in the evening, let alone during the day.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bartolimu posted:

I'm working from home, but off duty hours are definitely drinkier than usual these days.

Speaking of, I'm off duty now. Mezcal old fashioned, here I come!
Literally an old fashioned only with mezcal?

I have drunk buckets of mezcal but I don't think I've ever had it in a cocktail.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Best mezcal cocktail is the Black Rider.

Equal parts mezcal, brandy, and Cynar. Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Basically my favorite cocktail.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Is this one of those places where you can sub campari for cynar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The character of the drink changes a lot when you do that - the campari cuts the smokiness of the mezcal, whereas the Cynar accentuates it. Montenegro works in a pinch though.