Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I was going to say I was surprised at the negative reaction to the original. I always thought it was pretty well remembered. Who doesn’t like that decapitation?

I think if someone went in watching The Omen expecting something along the lines of The Exorcist since it dominated/influenced so much, then I can see someone being disappointed. Omen's a more low key approach in line with Rosemary's Baby than where the trend of 'Satan's Involved' movies were at that point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think if someone went in watching The Omen expecting something along the lines of The Exorcist since it dominated/influenced so much, then I can see someone being disappointed. Omen's a more low key approach in line with Rosemary's Baby than where the trend of 'Satan's Involved' movies were at that point in time.

When I watched it I was pretty surprised over the fact that the Exorcist is actually pretty low-key too. A majority of the movie is spend watching father Karras struggling with his lack of faith. But it's difference between being low-key and boring.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think when I watched The Omen as a kid, I definitely had this headspace where it's in the pantheon of great horror. And yeah, it does have some iconic parts where it really does feel iconic and special.

But as an adult, it really does come off as trying to cop the feel of The Exorcist and it ultimately fails. The Exorcist is a very layered movie about a society growing colder and separate with great performances. The possession in the film is more of a byproduct of the film's larger themes and it's supported by excellent performances and a well observed world. The Exorcist has a strong novel-like feel.

There just isn't a lot of humanity to The Omen. Peck's obviously a great actor, but it's hard to really get invested in that character. He's in a lot of ways playing an older sort of horror hero. Donner's humor is also missing from the movie which is understandable, but I think would have help. It's why 2 really is a better movie. Like the ice scene isn't as iconic as anything in the original, but it's more harrowing because it actually invests you in the characters as people.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I love the scene in The Omen set in the graveyard, it looks all spooky and gothic, like something from a Hammer film. I like the movie overall but I don't find it scary and there are some serious leaps in logic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly I think a problem with the movie is that it's got one foot in 70s gritty horror and one foot in gothic Hammer Film, and it should have picked one.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The Platform is out now with an impeccably timed release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I love the scene in The Omen set in the graveyard, it looks all spooky and gothic, like something from a Hammer film. I like the movie overall but I don't find it scary and there are some serious leaps in logic.

Yea that scene is all-time great and makes the movie for me all on it's own. I'll sit down to watch The Omen just because I want to see that scene again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Halloween 2 was awesome simply because it had a topless nurse and that weird fire in the showers? ending. Also the last time I saw it I was like 7.

Hatchet was... odd. I only saw the first one but it was played for a serious movie (or so I thought) but I loved the "drive past the same section of road at different times of day to show we are driving lots of miles away" shot. The random power sander kill was definitely memorable and damned weird.

There was another movie it around the same time... Venom? I think. Bout a guy who gets killed by snakes and goes on a rampage. That movie sucked too.

I guess I dig slasher movies that are more about scaring me than comedy, unintentional or not. Jason X is pretty much the sole exception to that.

I saw another about the same time, something Mandy Lane? It was surprisingly good from what I remember. Haven't had a rewatch though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hey Fran can you host that animated gang tag cause it's cool and I wanna buy it cause today's payday

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mz cockblocked me from getting that sweet animal crossing tag

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

the virgin animal crossing vs. the chad horror movies

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Any spook-a-doodle parents want to share tips on raising my offspring to love horror?
I've got a preschooler and ever since she was born she's enjoyed toys and decorations with a "spooky" aesthetic (skeletons, etc.). We watched the recent animated Addams Family movie a couple of months ago and she loves it, and I've shown her a couple of episodes of the b&w TV series too. I want to show her older stuff initially, things that aren't reliant on blood/gore obviously, but that would still be fun to watch without being too terrifying -- I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
MPAA ratings are for cowards.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i grew up on tales from the crypt it was my fav show as a kid she might like that or the munsters is a lot of fun too

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I was a really timid kid and was well into my teens before I worked up the courage to watch a full-length horror movie. In middle school I would live vicariously through my friend Drew -- he was the kid with the cool mom who dyed her hair and was into horror movies and heavy metal -- and when a new Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th or whatever came out he would go see it and then tell me about it.

Sometimes I'd watch Tales from the Crypt on HBO, even though the Crypt-Keeper freaked me out, because sometimes it had boobs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

goosebumps is also a ton of fun for kids i loved that one (and a lot of fun as an adult if you mix in some drugs)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

My Twitter Account posted:

Any spook-a-doodle parents want to share tips on raising my offspring to love horror?
I've got a preschooler and ever since she was born she's enjoyed toys and decorations with a "spooky" aesthetic (skeletons, etc.). We watched the recent animated Addams Family movie a couple of months ago and she loves it, and I've shown her a couple of episodes of the b&w TV series too. I want to show her older stuff initially, things that aren't reliant on blood/gore obviously, but that would still be fun to watch without being too terrifying -- I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

My parents showed me the Universal classics when I was young and I loved them. Abbott + Costello Meet Frankenstein was especially great, I remember watching that over and over.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

This is the first horror stuff I saw (I think). I would actually suggest Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein over dracula though. The Monster in those is just a big kid after all.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Xoxo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anything that Svengoolie shows is usually safe for kids and if it’s too intense, he’ll give a warning about it at the top of his show. Plus his schtick is so silly and wholesome, it takes the fangs out of anything he shows that is potentially scary.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So picking up on the "bracketology" discussion, I have a spreadsheet. 4 green items are #1 seeds for their four brackets, we can do a snap ranked-choice ballot for the other 60 seeds plus a play-in match for the bottom seed of the two bubble franchises. (64 & 65)

Let me know if I'm forgetting any head-slappingly obvious ones and then I'll post the Ranked Choice Poll for a week or so to gather votes then post the brackets

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Uwe Boll because he’s arrogant in a way that completely makes all his films worthless imo.

He acts like a victim when he’s the villain.

Uwe Boll's career is basically the Producers in that his investors can write off the money they give him and only pay taxes of the profit that the movie makes. So the worse the movie is the more money they make.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Just watched The Platform and it was pretty awesome. It seemed like a cross between Moon and La Cabina, but with more blood, poo poo, and cannibalism.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Uwe Boll's career is basically the Producers in that his investors can write off the money they give him and only pay taxes of the profit that the movie makes. So the worse the movie is the more money they make.

You may have noticed that Uwe Boll's output (and corresponding budgets) have massively decreased in the last decade.

It will not surprise you to learn that Germany has since closed the German Film Tax Credit Loophole.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I kinda wondered how Uwe Boll "made" money if the goal was to not make a profit, because I assume the money the investors give him is a loan he has to pay back. Then I realized that he probably just gave them a lump sum figure that grossly overstated how much money he needed and then pocketed the difference.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

With my kids, I started off with the classic Universals and worked from there. Munsters was a natural fit since the makeup designs were pretty close. I also made sure my kids knew that if something was too scary, all they had to do was speak up and I'll put something else on right away. A lot of this hinges on knowing what your kids can handle, and being mindful of yourself not being pushy with things. I've got nerdly friends who pretty much are the embodiment of that 'Be Like Me!' comic that I know will not handle it well at all should their kids end up not liking the same stuff they nerd out on.

I also cracked out what horror/monster games I had for family game night, bedtime stories were the usual age appropriate stuff, Halloween cartoons just not being for Halloween anymore, and we did plenty of making Halloween treats year round.

My kids jumped from the Universals to Psycho to Night of the Living Dead with the first color ones being horror-comedies.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand, Are You Afraid of the Dark and Goosebumps hold up great.

On the other hand, my parents took me to see the first 15 minutes of Ghostbusters when I was like 5 (the library scene is straight horror, no comedy), my grandmother let me watch CHUD at about the same time, and my sister's favorite films growing up were Gremlins and Jaws. Enjoy A Serbian Film.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I kinda wondered how Uwe Boll "made" money if the goal was to not make a profit, because I assume the money the investors give him is a loan he has to pay back. Then I realized that he probably just gave them a lump sum figure that grossly overstated how much money he needed and then pocketed the difference.

German govt wants to encourage the arts and local film production. Offer something like a 140% tax credit for funding German film. A German millionaire "donates" 2m to Bolls production, and gets 2.8m off their taxes.

Essentially, german govt is allowing people to make sure their tax money is spent on local German arts, and if ya gotta pay 2m in taxes, give this Boll guy 2m and get credit for having paid 2.8. Though you have less than zero incentive to see any quality come out, and as a "producer" if they do make money youd be taxed on the earnings

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 20, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Just watched The Platform and it was pretty awesome. It seemed like a cross between Moon and La Cabina, but with more blood, poo poo, and cannibalism.

Did it also make you weirdly hungry or is my brain broken

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Also add me on your switch and come visit my island, Matul

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did it also make you weirdly hungry or is my brain broken

My brain is definitely broken, and I don't really like food :shrug: it all looked tasty though. Craft services were def working over time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My brain is definitely broken, and I don't really like food :shrug: it all looked tasty though. Craft services were def working over time

You're a goon! How is it possible for you to not like food?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I grew up on British food

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

that explains it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

goondolences

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That platform would've made it to the bottom if it was loaded with nothing but boiled nonsense and French fry sandwiches.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A 24 Hour marathon of z-grade proportions, streamed for free, for you. Coming April 3rd.

:siren:CineD Z-Fest thread:siren:

The marathon is going to be open to all genres, including horror. Read the thread if you'd like to suggest films!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

That platform would've made it to the bottom if it was loaded with nothing but boiled nonsense and French fry sandwiches.

The platform could just be a big pan of grease with a few loaves of bread, and you could accurately call it British cuisine. My partner is Puerto Rican though, so she's shown me the miracle of seasoning

Franchescanado posted:

A 24 Hour marathon of z-grade proportions, streamed for free, for you. Coming April 3rd.

Count me in!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Successful stuff as a teacher:

--Not strictly horror but kids adore Twilight Zone
--Check out Creeped Out on Netflix. It's a British-Canadian anthology show similar to Goosebumps or Are You Afraid of the Dark, but it has more an edge to it and can be more genuinely frightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Hunt is an astoundingly lovely movie