Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My rink is very much the gently caress open still. There’s money to be made!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My rink is very much the gently caress open still. There’s money to be made!

Apparently as of now it’s only league play that is canceled, with open hockey and stick and picks still scheduled. I’ll have to pay for it but at least for now I can get some ice time in.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My local rink is closed now

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Everything seems closed for me now.

Bunch of us paid for ice times privately so I think we can still go to that but aside from that, league is cancelled, public skates and stick and puck are done.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Our rink is still open, leagues still going.

I have a feeling they're not going to close until they're using it as a morgue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ours is closed as of Friday, we were supposed to have a game in about an hour and I keep nervously refreshing email and thinking that I should be there anyways just in case it actually is open.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can’t wait for the rinks who decide to power down the chillers for the first time in decades then find out that they can’t start them up again due to the thawing causing cracks in the pipes and other expensive poo poo that they can’t afford to fix.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Don't even joke about that. TP shortage I can handle but if there's an ice shortage at the end of all this the living will envy the dead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Extremely :same:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah and the bonus is that those cracks can release anhydrous ammonia which is dangerous and requires expensive abatement and the brine will need to be environmentally tested too.

this is basically what happened to culver city rink out here. cool stuff

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My local rink has cancelled youth hockey but is still running adult league lol.

I didn't go tonight. I live with someone who is immuno compromised so i'm not going to hockey again for a while. Just too risky for me unfortunately.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My less are cancelled for two weeks but in guessing it's going to be longer than that. Multiple rinks shut down. All cars and restaurants. Being in the epicenter is weird.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'd plan on poo poo being shut down for a couple months. I think I might have to go for a jog outside today just to get some exercise. This is hell.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

They just canceled all hockey and public skates at my rink, are still holding stick and puck for the kids but limited to 10 skaters.

Plus I'm gonna be working my rear end off for the foreseeable future.

Live for what, again?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy gently caress they shut my rink down.

And yet my wife still finds way to spend money on figure skating my signing my daughters up for “off ice” practice. gently caress.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Holy gently caress they shut my rink down.

And yet my wife still finds way to spend money on figure skating my signing my daughters up for “off ice” practice. gently caress.

My rink did too. First they cancelled all youth hockey, but kept adult going. Then they finally decided to cancel adult too.

So even though I'd already decided not to play the rest of the season it looks like everyone is in that boat now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why are y’all surprised your rinks are shut down mine has been shut down forever....seriously it’s been (checks calendar) .......less than 5 days?!?

Holy gently caress. This is going to pass so slowly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having a shooting pad in the basement doesn't seem like such a bad idea now, does it?!

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014
On the bright side I did find out we have a few roller hockey rinks at some parks where I live. Time to blade it up!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Time to work on that off ice stuff. I wish I had a net and a shooter tutor.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

My rink did too. First they cancelled all youth hockey, but kept adult going. Then they finally decided to cancel adult too.

So even though I'd already decided not to play the rest of the season it looks like everyone is in that boat now.

What's funny is my rink has a 50+ league, and they kept that poo poo going up through this past weekend. Unreal.

Just heard that they aren't providing any PTO or benefits for the 100+ employees that just got temporary let go. Good poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 18, 2020

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014

Just heard that they aren't providing any PTO or benefits for the 100+ employees that just got temporary let go. Good poo poo.

Dude I didn't know we had a Bruins player in this thread :grin:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

What's funny is my rink has a 50+ league, and they kept that poo poo going up through this past weekend. Unreal.

Yeah I don't know why the thought keeping the older players playing was a good idea. Thankfully they came to their senses. I imagine at least part of that is because many players were going to self quarantine anyways. I know on my team like half of the guys wanted to keep playing and the other half said gently caress this it's irresponsible. So we would have had trouble fielding a full team if the season kept going.

Meanwhile my Dad who has health issues is a complete maniac and is planning on continuing his weekly outdoor ball hockey thing he does. I'm trying to talk him out of it. It's only like 12 people so probably not as bad as going to a rink but still not a good idea right now. My Dad is in his 60s and given his medical history should be taking every precaution for himself.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 18, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

Time to work on that off ice stuff. I wish I had a net and a shooter tutor.

I should be in a lot better shape than I am with this setup. At least I'm good about using it all at least twice a week.

Ready for the virus apocalypse though!

Yes, I use a spare cup as a shooting target. I got tired of digging soda cans out of recycling because they do not survive pucks very well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Man I wish I had a basement.

That said, a net and shooter tutor are great and not terribly expensive. My son and I make up games with it all the time if just straight practicing shooting skills gets boring.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
My rink is also closed. Has been since last Thursday.

I'm at home with my boys so I've been putting the 2 year old in his stroller and the 5 year old on his bike and running 3 miles every morning. It's not hockey but it's better than sitting at home.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stitecin posted:

My rink is also closed. Has been since last Thursday.

I'm at home with my boys so I've been putting the 2 year old in his stroller and the 5 year old on his bike and running 3 miles every morning. It's not hockey but it's better than sitting at home.

I took 2 months off when my twins were 6 months last year. Around the early afternoon when they'd start getting cranky, I put them in the double baby jogger and went for a run. We logged 165 miles together over the course of the 8 weeks and I lost 10lbs. Partially that and partially because I was too loving busy to remember to eat myself all the time, haha.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I have a treadmill down stairs and I told myself I’d be better about using it while stuck at home. Instead, last night I had ice cream and pumpkin pie left over from my dogs birthday party.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

V for Vegans posted:

... left over from my dogs birthday party.

Yeah, for sure that's

Wait what?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Well we couldn’t have any friends over thanks to the social distancing and the dog store was closed so we couldn’t get any toys for the pup, so we made a pumpkin pie and gave him a small bit with vanilla ice cream since both are safe for dogs to eat.

It’s already been a long quarantine and we’re only on day 7

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Not being able to skate loving sucks. Going from playing hockey for 6 hours a week to zero has already caused me to gain weight.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

They cancelled all beer league games here in the UK for the rest of the season, but the rinks are open so teams can still practice if they want (UK beer league hockey is weird, teams usually run drills and scrimmage amongst themselves once a week, and then organise challenge games here and there).

A few of the teams are being proactive and canceling their practices also, but one of the teams I play for has decided to keep going until they physically shut the rink. As a goalie with a pregnant partner, this is putting me in a really awkward position because I worry about potentially passing the virus onto her (although with having to do regular prenatal hospital visits, I think we'll inevitably get it) but also not wanting to let my teammates down because skating with no goalie is poo poo and no fun for anyone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Beer league hockey does not matter nearly as much as your wife and future child.

If your teammates aren't total dicks, they'll understand that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, it sucks for the team to not have a goalie, but it would suck way worse if you brought coronavirus home from skating.

One positive note, evidently our rink is still allowing stick and puck twice a day, limited to 10 people. My wife took my son yesterday and they said there were only 3 other kids there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Beer league hockey does not matter nearly as much as your wife and future child.

If your teammates aren't total dicks, they'll understand that.

Yeah. It's not even a choice. Don't go.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't think it's a stretch to say that everyone that's still running team sports in places that are affected by covid-19 is a loving idiot.

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

Zip! posted:

As a goalie with a pregnant partner, this is putting me in a really awkward position because I worry about potentially passing the virus onto her (although with having to do regular prenatal hospital visits, I think we'll inevitably get it) but also not wanting to let my teammates down because skating with no goalie is poo poo and no fun for anyone.
Let them use posts. Your consideration for the team is rad but c'mon man, you know it's not rational.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah I made the decision shortly after that post that it just wasn't worth it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Zip! posted:

Yeah I made the decision shortly after that post that it just wasn't worth it.
Kinda surprising that your rink is still open at all. Ours told everyone things were closed and that they weren't charging any of the leagues/teams for any of their normal fees. Since our team has some decent money saved up our leadership told everyone there was no need to pay any team fees for 3 months, even if the rink opens up sooner.

Nice to see, but also it's only been a week without hockey and I'm already missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

One of my rinks sent an email saying it will shoot to be open again on April 13. I kinda doubt that's enough time to stay closed the way things are going, but I guess we'll see.