Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

good morning

good morning! :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

owned

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Mods, please hook me up with a Cum Infections gang tag.

same... so same

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Sharkie posted:

Sorry but the approval rates aren't going to go below ~40%. At that point, you start running into people for whom this isn't politics, but religion.

It really does feel like 9/11. I felt like I was going nuts then too. You mean you approve of the president who let one of the stupidest loving terror attacks in history get by on his watch?

Literally, 20 dudes went to flight school but didn't learn how to land planes, boarded planes, and flew them into buildings. And the president got a briefing that said "lol check out this crazy plan the terrorists are planning to do" and ignored it. And the attitude was just "Well can you imagine if Al Gore had been president instead?" or "Well being president is hard".

Americans are just loving morons through and through and you can almost understand why people become republicans because, after a while, why should you help them? Just make money off them and screw off.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

GrimGypsy posted:

What are they spraying in pics like these? And does it even help beyond just generally making things less gross? I've been wondering about if Japan's just general cleanliness everywhere has maybe been one of those factors that helped them not get quite so smashed

There was some bleach like chemical they were using in China, I forgot what

how dense are the Japanese metros these days?

twoday
May 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

good morning

no

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

FistEnergy posted:

nah the End Lich is coming, it's all right there in black and white man

Actually as a natural German speaker I can tell you that "Endlich" is derived from an old Norse mantra and refers to a complex philosophical concept so arcane and strongly tied to the German zeitgeist that it cannot be comprehended by the American mind, let alone your pathetic dictionaries.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

pathetic little tramp posted:

It really does feel like 9/11. I felt like I was going nuts then too. You mean you approve of the president who let one of the stupidest loving terror attacks in history get by on his watch?

Literally, 20 dudes went to flight school but didn't learn how to land planes, boarded planes, and flew them into buildings. And the president got a briefing that said "lol check out this crazy plan the terrorists are planning to do" and ignored it. And the attitude was just "Well can you imagine if Al Gore had been president instead?" or "Well being president is hard".

Americans are just loving morons through and through and you can almost understand why people become republicans because, after a while, why should you help them? Just make money off them and screw off.

A crisis like this was always going to give Trump a little boost (even with poor handling, people still rally around a leader for the moment), but the absolute poo poo show of a response from the Democrats basically guaranteed that it's going to be a major, long-lasting bump. We knew the Dems were trash, but they always find new lows.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1240946508570206210?s=21

Lol trumps gonna win in a landslide. Thanks DNC.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
To be fair I knew stuff was about to go down hard and did it at the same time, and I have 0 access to classified information or medical grapevines. If that's all then that's fine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Entenzahn posted:

Actually as a natural German speaker I can tell you that "Endlich" is derived from an old Norse mantra and refers to a complex philosophical concept so arcane and strongly tied to the German zeitgeist that it cannot be comprehended by the American mind, let alone your pathetic dictionaries.

The Ultimate word

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i only recently learned about the 'didnt learn to how to land' part lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1240985966128611330?s=20

Uh, I'm actually thinking it'll be a baby bust

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

woke: boomers decimated before November
broke: we’ve already held our last election

next iPhone should be prettt cool tho

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my hospital/county is finally taking it seriously although, like every response from european and american countries so far, it's 1-2 weeks behind when things should have happened

ER now has a side entrance to it being used for anyone with flu-like symptoms and with people being screened for flu-like symptoms before they even enter the hospital, and only one visitor is allowed inside the hospital for ER patients at a time

we had a ton of people coming in tonight because a local factory ended one of its shifts after the first positive case in my county was confirmed to have been an employee there; unfortunately rather than shutting down completely they're just having everyone who shared a shift with the sick guy get tested for corona before they're letting them work again. lol

poo poo's gonna blow up so, so loving bad.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

“The theory is sound,” Timmons said. “I want to accomplish the objective. I want to provide paid sick leave … but what we voted out will not accomplish that objective. It will accomplish a lot of problems for small businesses.”

The bill, now law, will go into effect April 2. It requires businesses with 50 to 500 employees to provide 14 days of paid sick leave to any employee who:

* Is sick with COVID-19

*Is caring for a loved one who is infected with COVID-19

* Is taking care of a child whose school or child care is closed due to the virus.

After those two weeks, the law requires an employer to provide an additional 10 weeks of paid leave at 2/3 of that employee's pay.

“This is going to be a big problem,” Timmons said. “It's going to help a lot of people, but it’s also going to hurt a lot of people and drive small businesses out of business faster than had we not done that.”

wood chipper go brrr...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol polls showing people trust the fat fucker to handle the corona, back when there weren't even 5000 people affected

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Al-Saqr posted:

:chaostrump:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ChipNDip posted:

Think about the death profile as well - ramps up heavily with age and is strongly correlated with other chronic health conditions. How many people who were in the hospital had it and it just pushed along a death that staff wouldn't even consider might be corona?

https://mobile.twitter.com/flydragon333/status/1239205801719300098

Edit: sorry forgot the translation: basically they’re not checking corpses and there’s been some irregularities at crematories where they’re supposed to keep the stuffs for up to 24h but a lot got burned earlier and without a final checking or autopsy

There’s definitely some covering up or at least incompetence going on in Japan.
Everyone in Tokyo is behaving as normal. The masks are vanishing and the trains are packed.

They’ve also lifted the status of emergency in Hokkaido and there’s talk about re-opening the schools again. That Olympics money is a powerful drug to be sure and they’ve decided their poo poo rear end economy absolutely hinges on it.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 20, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/MikomiHokina/status/1240952115805261825?s=20

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Kylra posted:

To be fair I knew stuff was about to go down hard and did it at the same time, and I have 0 access to classified information or medical grapevines. If that's all then that's fine.

you weren't running around in a position of authority telling people things were fine

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks dude it took us 20 years and millions of people killed and a social and political stigma that will last another 50 years but thank goodness it’s finally over (not really it’s not at all because muslims are still banned)

Hey, chin up! In another decade or two you can assume the role of "Bad Guy from a previous season joins in to help against the Bad Guy from this season"! By then it'll be uhhhh, oh I don't know let's say space aliens.

Often Abbreviated posted:

I've been coming around to this suspicion myself. It's actually far more contagious but far less serious than the confirmed testing suggests, there are already millions of people with the virus sitting at home with some muscle ache and a bit of a sore throat, but we'll never know about it.

Especially since given the time of the year it hit, most people literally go in EXPECTING to have those symptoms and have trained themselves to just ignore them. So even if it's a particularly bad case, they just think "eh, bad one this year" and ignore it. A couple years ago I had a seasonal cold that was wayyyy worse than usual and had me coughing up all kinds of eldritch horrors for a week or two, but even going to the doctor was always a "we'll see" at best.

ChipNDip posted:

Think about the death profile as well - ramps up heavily with age and is strongly correlated with other chronic health conditions. How many people who were in the hospital had it and it just pushed along a death that staff wouldn't even consider might be corona?
Isn't this happening a lot in Italy? Like it just exploded among the older and already-ill first?

twoday posted:

There was some bleach like chemical they were using in China, I forgot what

how dense are the Japanese metros these days?

Not vastly different than usual, but thinner. We're in Osaka, but the outer edges where it isn't particularly crowded. Have been trying to stay in and haven't needed the train much in a week or two since jobs were put on hold, but the couple trips we have taken weren't too crowded - enough room that everyone could sit if need be. I'm sure the more crowded areas are still jammed, too. Same with Kyoto and definitely Tokyo. That's why I wonder about transmission rates and stuff because like, there's 0 chance it isn't everywhere here. They are starting to test more people and so the official numbers are slowly but surely growing, but I think it's more just approaching accuracy than genuinely increasing.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm not going near my wife's infected womb, might get one of those cum infections....

twoday
May 4, 2005

quote:

Since yesterday, 534 people have been tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. This brings the total number of people tested positive to 2,994. Among them are 725 people who work in healthcare; they are tested more often than other groups.

30 patients have died from COVID-19 since the previous update. In total, 106 people have now died from the disease. The dead are between 63 and 95 years old. In total, 643 patients were or have been hospitalized.

Most people tested positive live in the province of Noord Brabant, namely 1012 people. After that, most people tested positive were reported in South Holland (405), Limburg (366) and North Holland (353).

The actual number of infections with COVID-19 is higher than the number of reports in this update, because not everyone with potential infection is tested anymore.

💯

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Kylra posted:

Yeah we all did, but you weren't also a US senator saying "THIS poo poo'S JUST A CHING CHONG HOAX TO MAKE US LOOK BAD"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Crusader posted:

you weren't running around in a position of authority telling people things were fine

Yeah we all did, but you weren't also a US senator saying "THIS poo poo'S JUST A CHING CHONG HOAX TO MAKE US LOOK BAD"
You're right. Very good point.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i suspect a lot of that approval number has to due with an expectation of trump bucks

twoday
May 4, 2005

GrimGypsy posted:

Not vastly different than usual, but thinner. We're in Osaka, but the outer edges where it isn't particularly crowded. Have been trying to stay in and haven't needed the train much in a week or two since jobs were put on hold, but the couple trips we have taken weren't too crowded - enough room that everyone could sit if need be. I'm sure the more crowded areas are still jammed, too. Same with Kyoto and definitely Tokyo. That's why I wonder about transmission rates and stuff because like, there's 0 chance it isn't everywhere here. They are starting to test more people and so the official numbers are slowly but surely growing, but I think it's more just approaching accuracy than genuinely increasing.

quote:

Due to a decline in the number of tuberculosis patients in North America and West Europe, BCG is no more provided in these areas. However, BCG is still one of the routine vaccines in Japan, because the number of tuberculosis
patients ranks at the middle level among the world. Besides, the time schedule for BCG in Japan is also different from many other countries. BCG is given at birth mostly in order to prevent early infection from care takers.

Could help?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

the olympics generates what, a hundred billion? two hundred billion in terms of localized spending? why risk reinfection when your government can dump 5x that at the push of a button right into the economy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

NofrikinfuN posted:

my sanity is kind of hinging on the death toll being a mathematical error due to high spread and low testing which naturally targets the people in the worst condition first.. theres a big difference between 20% of cases ending up in the hospital and 20% of confirmed cases ending up in the hospital

i wonder why theres never any mention of negative tests on the counters? any time they say how many tested positive/died, they should also have a total number of tests used and negative figures

for that matter, we've not even seen how accurate the tests are and whether they lean toward false positives or false negatives

Part of the reason there's no negative tests is because the tests are so poor that it requires multiple tests to accurately determine if someone is negative.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's also before millions of people die in the US while SK and China and possible some European countries are relatively unscathed in comparison.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ok, sure

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

anyways i just wake up and listen to slowdive or beach house for a while to numb myself out to reality

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Al-Saqr posted:

lmao guess it doesnt matter what you do as long as youre the president during a crisis

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

wood chipper go brrr...

lol they fail to note how difficult it is to actually get tested

you have to literally be dying (or rich as hell) before they use the swab on you

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Iron Crowned posted:

What PPE are you guys wearing into the Hot Zone these days?

nitrile airbrush gloves. after the Corona Stranding i took a new identity....

Hands Blacksman...the man who has black hands

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

And then any celebrity that wants a test can get one, and they're coming up positive like loving crazy. Because it's already spread everywhere, normal people just can't get tested properly yet.

The upside of that, at least, is that it implies that it's asymptomatic for most people. Not that that helps at all for those who aren't.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/flydragon333/status/1239205801719300098

Edit: sorry forgot the translation: basically they’re not checking corpses and there’s been some irregularities at crematories where they’re supposed to keep the stuffs for up to 24h but a lot got burned earlier and without a final checking or autopsy

There’s definitely some covering up or at least incompetence going on in Japan.
Everyone in Tokyo is behaving as normal. The masks are vanishing and the trains are packed.

They’ve also lifted the status of emergency in Hokkaido and there’s talk about re-opening the schools again. That Olympics money is a powerful drug to be sure and they’ve decided their poo poo rear end economy absolutely hinges on it.

Yeah can confirm that some schools are starting to explore doing classes next week, at least on a limited basis. Abe wants those Olympics bad but I cannot imagine the IOC will greenlight it, and popular sentiment here is VERY against it. "Wow we dodged that bullet, now let's invite a million people from every country on earth into our insanely dense megacity" is, shockingly, not something you hear folks saying.

Everyone is suspicious about the testing and stuff, but they are also...generally a bit more willing to just shrug and say "ok". A month ago, the rumbling was "they're hiding it but it's about to get buckwild"...but now it's more a "well I dunno, no way it hasn't run roughshod yet but nothing is falling apart or collapsing so...uh...cross our fingers and hope?".

twoday posted:

Could help?

Huh, I didn't see that. Thank you, what a weird rear end thing that would be if true.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

lol apparently a bunch of rich people from LA and Seattle decided to last-minute fly up to their vacation homes in Sun Valley, Idaho

and now that county has more confirmed cases than the rest of the state combined, despite being the most isolated and rural

there is a total of one (1) ICU bed in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thoguh posted:

The upside of that, at least, is that it implies that it's asymptomatic for most people. Not that that helps at all for those who aren't.

yeah exactly, i'm praying im just an asymptomatic superspreader