Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

This is what people on SA have been telling you to do at least once a month for years now, yes.

Fair enough. Interesting how it was this of all things to finally make me see that, if only for a tiny bit. Even though I do not have PTSD, I do relate to that comment about how it traps you in the state of anticipating the next catastrophe and thus when it comes (or something like it), it can serve as a relief.

I might also be encouraged by the fact that I was prescribed some new medication and additional (video) psychotherapy. Here's to hoping bupropion does the trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Somebody on my Plurk timeline mentioned their therapist telling them that the anxiety the rest of the world is currently feeling is the same level of anxiety that that person felt on a daily basis, and all I could think was "yeah that parses" given my increasingly relentless angling towards positive news in the light of all this.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my GF is a teacher who teaches part time and a theater tech for cancelled shows, her only income right now is from her part time job at a head shop. theyre still inexplicably open and Im trying to convince her it isnt worth $132 to go and be exposed for two shifts. Id rather just give her the money since I have a job right now and Im working from home and I live with my parents so I dont have to fear financial insecurity or eviction. Ill pay her rent if I have to even, I just dont want us to get sick until after the peak

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright it's Friday, haven't heard back from EDD or any jobs I've applied to

Lol I'm gonna be homeless

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dragomorph posted:

Somebody on my Plurk timeline mentioned their therapist telling them that the anxiety the rest of the world is currently feeling is the same level of anxiety that that person felt on a daily basis, and all I could think was "yeah that parses" given my increasingly relentless angling towards positive news in the light of all this.

I don't know what Plurk is, but that thought came to me independently and is giving me some mild comfort. If people just lived the way I've been doing for the past almost-decade, this disease would be contained in no time flat. I've been dealing with hardcore social anxiety for about ten years, and on March 1st decided that I was going to do something about it by forcing myself to socialize more and get out twice a week instead of just once. I made a plan and everything. Maybe subconsciously I knew that it would soon be out of my control?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Siljmonster posted:

err posted:

Love to be unemployed and looking during the start of a depression and economic retraction.

Is there a Kroger, or Kroger-owned store nearby? They're hiring like crazy around here (Fred Meyer).

Dragomorph posted:

Does anybody else use ASMR vids to relax sometimes? I had a bit of a doom and gloom overdose looking at various things today so I went to my usual standbys of videos of someone flipping through library books. It's nice there are videos that cater to that; I used to think I was really creepy when I worked as a page at a library and would linger around shelves because someone was browsing and I liked the sounds too much. Nice to know there are enough other people who got that sensation that someone can make videos of it, and man it chills me right out.

I tend to prefer videos that don't OVEREMPHASIZE. EVERY. drat. SOUND instead of just doing things normally but recorded.

GentleWhispering. Lots of page flipping.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

Apply online for Walmart stocker and personal shopper jobs. They're currently cutting the 14 day wait down to one day.

Go speak to the personnel/people lead and tell them you're willing to work next day.

None of this applies if you can't be on your feet for 8 hours a day however.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Lawn patrol job is already filled...

https://twitter.com/OregonZoo/status/1241026002878214146

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Apply online for Walmart stocker and personal shopper jobs. They're currently cutting the 14 day wait down to one day.

Go speak to the personnel/people lead and tell them you're willing to work next day.

None of this applies if you can't be on your feet for 8 hours a day however.

ive applied for every grocery store within a 5 mile radius of me
i put in 10+ applications a day and havent heard a single thing all week
did unemployment on monday and nothings been heard

this isnt going to happen quickly but im already panicking

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i know off hand at least 50+ people who are out of work

no way are these grocery stores gonna be able to hire me lol

loving 119 people got laid off and told to reapply on Wednesday at Punchbowl

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

ive applied for every grocery store within a 5 mile radius of me
i put in 10+ applications a day and havent heard a single thing all week
did unemployment on monday and nothings been heard

this isnt going to happen quickly but im already panicking

Ya. Go in person to talk to the people lead and tell them you're willing to do cap 2 or overnight

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Ya. Go in person to talk to the people lead and tell them you're willing to do cap 2 or overnight

lol i did that most of the day yesterday

guess what every manager says "go apply online"

NO ONE IN STORES HANDLES THIS poo poo

edit: your advice is poo poo

Siljmonster has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 20, 2020

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Was on a light as-needed dose of lorazepam for anxiety before moving overseas, had slowly weaned off just fine to really-seriously-only-for-an-attack status very happily. Brought as many as I was allowed to bring, but I have no idea how I could ever get more here in Japan. It's legal to have here, but I don't know who I'd talk to or where I'd go, etc. Have enough to last a while but it concerns me, as it seems a time for anxiety.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
oh wow I've lost ten pounds since 10 days ago lmfao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

all the people telling goons who just got laid off to go ask the manager at the grocery store for an overnight job should gently caress off out of this thread forever with their worthless boomer advice

Siljmonster posted:

lol i did that most of the day yesterday

guess what every manager says "go apply online"

NO ONE IN STORES HANDLES THIS poo poo

edit: your advice is poo poo

it's condescending anachronistic dumb poo poo that has no relation to the actual experience of the precarious worker in the world. i got it constantly when i was unemployed and i loving hated it

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I apologize.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its loving infuriating to look for a job, because you get to see poo poo like this after someone tells you to try applying to X.

Its loving more infuriating to look for a job after being laid off again and again and again. Every career I've worked has been unstable and unsatisfactory. Never have job security, been living paycheck to paycheck all my life even when I thought I had my "dream job". That one job I was really good at, and loved doing, ended my marriage.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Big dumb effortpost ahead. I'm spoilering it because there's a good chance someone might be angered or triggered by it but I think the ideas could help some people like they helped me so I wanted them to at the very least exist in here. Nothing below is novel so read at your own risk.

Someone itt posted an interesting idea that normies and their ilk are too afraid to face the realities of coronavirus and that's why they're not freaking out while we (cspammers) are. It got me thinking about projections and anxieties and how we handle anxiety in general.

Humans frequently come into contact with multiple anxiety inducing elements in their lives. Some things like, "am I going to pass this test?" or "will I nail this job interview?" are elements that are small enough in scope they can be addressed, or they are transient and will pass. But some elements are so big that a single person can't address them and weighing even more heavily on our chests, they are not transient and will not pass. I think in the modern American mind those things are: Pedophiles run the world and can kill at a whim in broad daylight and there is nothing you can do about it, and the brutal indifference of our social/economic system.

So what do normies do? They shove the latter two thoughts into their unconscious closet. We might make fun of them for it but if it can't be fixed, is it really beneficial to perseverate on these ideas? Is it really improving our lives?

They use defense mechanisms to go about their lives. And defense mechanisms are not inherently unhealthy. In fact they exist to keep us functioning. Even when we were cavemen who needed to climb a mountain to get food or whatever, it's not helpful to think about how unlikely it is that we succeed in that climb even if only 5% survive that climb. The 5% that survived were the progenitors of our race, so the defense mechanism was successful by preventing them from giving up. It's the same thing as when you enter an academic program that lasts a few years. It isn't helpful to think about how long it will take to complete at day 1. Point being defense mechanisms can be very healthy and good.

But anyway back to the normies. So the normies are now living their lives, repressing anxiety-inducing facts of capitalism. The thing is that anxiety has to go somewhere. It's no coincidence that corona is the first big anxious global event after Epstein was killed. So they put all the anxieties from things they can't fix into a big anxiety that is at least much more fixable, corona. They can go buy things (the main method of self-soothing in a capitalist society) and Freud would love the fact that the first thing to get panic bought was something that caresses our anuses. They can address corona by buying things and staying home.

They are indeed ignoring the problems with capitalism and our society by worrying about corona.

But are we doing the same thing, albiet in a slightly different way?

What if there were things we needed to fix about ourselves that we are forced to confront now that we're home all day, but those things were so painful and scary that we chose something slightly less scary to focus on, coronavirus?

I've used work as a distraction so that I didn't have to work on myself, but now that work is on hold I've been forced to deal with those things.

Coronavirus IS terrifying, it very well might kill people we don't want to die and it will cause a recession. It is definitely upsetting our lives, for many people by actually removing their source of income (if that's you the next part is not directed at you). But ask yourself, are you using it as a distraction (like I was)? Or are you using this time to improve yourself. Are you placing all of your anxieties about internal things into this external thing, because it's easier and more familiar to address than improving yourself?

I think we can take this time to sort of re-prioritize our anxieties and decide where we put our anxious energy. We need to understand you can only change the things you can change and about 90% of those things are within. Can we change the social system? Probably not. But what about our family system? or relationship system? our internal system? Can we exercise, meditate, analyze our dreams, go for a walk, draw, write? What can we do?

I want to once again recommend the episode of This Jungian Life about this Climate Change. It was very affirming and calming for me, hopefully someone else will enjoy it too. It's extremely relevant to corona and is also kinda cpsammy.

Well wishes to all of you.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a while since i had a panic attack in a grocery store, so that was cool

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

GentleWhispering. Lots of page flipping.

go get yourself some Rhosgobel Rabbit, that poo poo is like injecting ketamine directly into your brain

Jellybean Green is good and also has a good sense of humor

Waterwhispers if you want to go old school

Olivia Kissper if you want the most soothing trip down a rabbit hole of madness you'll ever encounter

Yes I've been stockpiling these to fire at my insomnia on a regular basis, what of it

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my last paycheck, only got to work 2, 4 and a half hour shifts, to make this.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it normal to still be paid with paper cheques in 2020 USA?

Goondolences to everyone struggling financially. I will probably be joining you soon after a brief two year run of financial comfort in my miserable 40 years on earth.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is it normal to still be paid with paper cheques in 2020 USA?

Goondolences to everyone struggling financially. I will probably be joining you soon after a brief two year run of financial comfort in my miserable 40 years on earth.

It is not, but some small employers don't want to pay bank fees for direct deposit, and people can choose to opt out, if that's their freedom day wish.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm clinically depressed and had a suicide attempt about 15 months ago. Had been doing a whole lot better but I haven't been sleeping and trying to post thru it. It just hit me because my 8 year old daughter knows something isn't right and she keeps getting upset.

We've hosed our planet, our country and our fellow humans. Our government is just gonna let people die. I feel like a piece of poo poo since my job is *probably* safe, but I just feel so ashamed of the world we're passing along to our kids.

We had a shot this year too. We were so close.

I am terrified of catching this virus, moreso because I'm scared to death my wife won't survive if she gets it. She's a cancer survivor with chronic sinus and ear infections, allergies and asthma. She just got over pneumonia a few weeks back from a regular cold. I hate this feeling and I don't know what to do about it.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I hate republicans, and I hate Donald Trump.

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Mar 21, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
E: not conducive towards this thread. I'll just say :same:.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I should probably learn to express my feelings via dance or calligraphy instead of posting.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sincerely, writing stuff by hand helps. Journaling is good.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
My therapist suggested adding Lyrica to my other AD as a supplement to beat back depression and boy howdy is it a pretty nice drug for doing just that.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i read that as "lycra" first and thought spandex is a weird choice, before my idiocy dawned on me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do any of you anxiety crew also have ADHD? I posted in the thread for computer touchers about how poo poo my focus has been lately (this is pre coronavirus when everyone's focus has been poo poo) and someone offhandedly mentioned it as a possibility. I was looking at symptoms for ADHD-PI and a lot of it sounded pretty familiar.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

prom candy posted:

Do any of you anxiety crew also have ADHD? I posted in the thread for computer touchers about how poo poo my focus has been lately (this is pre coronavirus when everyone's focus has been poo poo) and someone offhandedly mentioned it as a possibility. I was looking at symptoms for ADHD-PI and a lot of it sounded pretty familiar.

*raises hand, loses interest halfway through and goes to do something else*

In all seriousness though, ADD krew checking in. Plus anxiety and depression. I dont read the computer touched thread--whatcha need help with?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What do I do? I'm no longer in therapy, should I just bring it up with my regular doctor? Meds? I think I cope pretty well with some of the symptoms, I use my calendar and phone reminders a ton and I can focus really well on stuff I'm interested in but whenever I have stuff to do at work that's not all that exciting it can take me like 3 hours to do fifteen minutes of work (2:45 of talking myself into starting, 15 minutes of actually doing it.) If I have something at work that causes a brief break in the action (like if I have to deploy something and it takes 30 seconds) I can lose another half hour because I get distracted and I'm on to something else or staring out the window or posting my rear end off on these fine forums

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Yeah, that sounds like my symptoms. Reminders and calendars are incredibly useful so I'm happy you're covering that on your own. As far as staying on the ball, I find meds help me the most but talk to a therapist beforehand. Some of the medications prescribed are Literally Amphetamines (looking @ you, Adderall) so getting a professional opinion would be a really good idea. Also helps that a lot of those meds legally require you to show up with a doctor's prescription.

As far as small lifestyle changes, theres apps and browser extensions that can help keep you from wasting time--ive had good results using one called Stayfocusd. Restricting recreation to a certain time limit may help, but self-discipline also is a bit of an issue when it comes to ADD so results may vary.

One last note though: meds are not going to magically make you enjoy something that sucks. They'll just help you stay on task and do whatever is on your mind.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I'm a little worried about taking any meds. I know it's not the same thing but coffee really exacerbates my anxiety so I'm wary of any stimulants.

I often don't even hate the work, once I get going on it it's usually not that bad. And if the task is fun then it's no problem at all because I do actually like my job. It's just when I'm working on something that's less interesting. I've used StayFocusd before but I end up just whipping out my phone and looking at that instead. I also use a pomodoro timer that blocks websites and some days that's pretty helpful. Other days I just end up googling whatever random questions pop into my head so I'd basically need a whitelist instead of a blacklist because I can always find something to distract myself with.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

prom candy posted:

Yeah I'm a little worried about taking any meds. I know it's not the same thing but coffee really exacerbates my anxiety so I'm wary of any stimulants.

Eh, while they're both stimulants, I'd say the effects of my meds are different from the effects of coffee. Meds make me hyper focused (it's an odd feeling to describe) while too much coffee gives me the physical jitters without the mental sharpness. You're the best judge of your own condition ofc, but I dont coffee is a good analogy for meds. This is a topic for a medical professional though.

quote:

I often don't even hate the work, once I get going on it it's usually not that bad. And if the task is fun then it's no problem at all because I do actually like my job. It's just when I'm working on something that's less interesting. I've used StayFocusd before but I end up just whipping out my phone and looking at that instead. I also use a pomodoro timer that blocks websites and some days that's pretty helpful. Other days I just end up googling whatever random questions pop into my head so I'd basically need a whitelist instead of a blacklist because I can always find something to distract myself with.

Yup, that'll happen. It looks like you've been really proactive at finding what works though! My poo poo isn't nearly that together when I started getting my brain checked, so I have a good feeling about your case.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thank you! It comes and goes for sure, I have periods where I can really focus and get a lot done, and then other times when I'm just like certain my work knows I'm doing gently caress all and is going to fire me (which obviously just ups the anxiety and lack of focus.)

Anyway I'm going to be staying away from the doctors office for the next... while... but I'm going to bring this up with them and see what they think. Thanks for the info!

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

No problem! I also just remembered that theres an ADD/ADHD thread in A/T https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189760&pagenumber=195&perpage=40

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Huge thing that no one told me for fifteen years: there are non-stimulant ADHD drugs, and they work.

Also, what is the pomodoro timer that you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Huge thing that no one told me for fifteen years: there are non-stimulant ADHD drugs, and they work.

Also, what is the pomodoro timer that you use?

What are they besides guanfacine and modafinil? Can't take the former because I'm on a medication that acts at the same receptor site as guanfacine does, but as an antagonist.

Just going to namedrop GoodRx in this thread because it really helped me out without insurance. If you're buying your drugs out of pocket, run them through GoodRx first, it could save you a lot of money.