Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

justcola posted:

My NHS pal says there's still no guidance, and though they've said operations are cancelled they haven't actually told hospitals yet so he's still amputating necrotic limbs and taking out gall bladders and the like. There's also divisions growing within the hospital of staff going out and about to get free McDonald's and post on social media and those that have been working 14 hour shifts and still not sure what's going on. Although they all think the surgical staff will be going to help CV19 patients, nothing has happened yet.

(this is his experience in a hospital in Lancashire but my sister is saying similar things in Scottish hospitals)

How is a surgeon going to help with coronavirus? Very small scalpels to cut the viruses up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Per what I’ve heard from acute trust friends, surgical will be given a ‘Rona 101 leaflet and a manual for Great British Budget Ventilators and told to crack on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

i've seen a few non-crank sources suggesting this might not be the case or at least not only be the case.

but i can't find them now cause googling anything about corona or looking through my history is like looking for a needle in a haystack, so ignore me for now
Here's some stuff.

quote:

Complications included acute respiratory distress syndrome (12 [29%]), RNAaemia (six [15%]), acute cardiac injury (five [12%]) and secondary infection (four [10%]). 13 (32%) patients were admitted to an ICU and six (15%) died. Compared with non-ICU patients, ICU patients had higher plasma levels of IL2, IL7, IL10, GSCF, IP10, MCP1, MIP1A, and TNFα.

Also from a less public source doi:10.1001/jama.2020.1585 that you may have access (or :filez:) to.

quote:

Common complications among the 138 patients included shock(12 [8.7%]), ARDS (27 [19.6%]), arrhythmia (23 [16.7%]), and acute cardiac injury (10 [7.2%]). Patients who received care in the ICU were more likely to have one of these complications than non-ICU patients.

I've only skimmed both so idk if they've shown causation or whether it was all from existing comorbidity or side effects of the treatment, but it's happening.

I remember a source saying people were getting myocarditis a couple of weeks after 'recovering' but I can't find it.

Shogi posted:

The potential changes to the Mental Health Act being floated certainly run counter to the recommendations put forward by the (recent!) independent review of the MHA. Ideally we are supposed to be helping people exercise autonomy wherever practical. Though staffing is inevitably going to be low and we need to keep people safe, I’d be concerned about changes becoming a new norm. The changes to sections 35 and 36 are also quite ‘interesting’ given they could potentially funnel you into the mental health system for the crime of being outdoors while infected, on the advice of way less professionals than we use now.

Nothing to worry about under this government though eh?
Government in doing exact opposite of professional advice shocker.

They're going to use this to push a bunch of bullshit new powers that do precisely gently caress all to stop a pandemic and everything to stop people publicly complaining about the government that did nothing during a pandemic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

At this trying time, Bandcamp have waived their (already not huge) fees for 24 hours for artists on there. Lot of bands are losing out on tours & that's a massive revenue source for them. Combine that with the general thrill of new tunes, if you can afford it it'd be a swell time to maybe find some new favourite bands.

Anyway, I am doing a Twitter thread with recommendations from last year & it won't appeal to everyone but maybe you find something you like

https://twitter.com/forkboy84/status/1240973073005887491?s=20

Worth saying that the Bandcamp website is running slow under the demand so I hope that's a good sign.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1240986685850206210?s=21

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1240982622144167938?s=21

Top-tier pandemic comms strategy, amazing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I mean that would explain why journalists might be considered key workers

how else is the government meant to tell people what it's planning to do and why, if not through a series of anonymous briefings to their favourite lobby hacks?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

learnincurve posted:

What is this??? I can only assume Waitrose ran out of food or something and it’s freaked him out enough for his boomer sense of self interest to cancel out the Daily Mail.

I've spoken to tories, and heard similar from others, that are somehow realising right now that the tory party gives no gently caress about the british people. They're not happy.

They're apparently not many if approval numbers are to be believed but this is sitting quite awkwardly with small c conservatives and general common sense nationalist types

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I've only skimmed both so idk if they've shown causation or whether it was all from existing comorbidity or side effects of the treatment, but it's happening.

I remember a source saying people were getting myocarditis a couple of weeks after 'recovering' but I can't find it.

Could it be that the pneumonia kills first, and treating that just means one of the others gets a go? Also I know pneumonia (and infection in general) puts a big strain on the heart, so it might just be activating underlying problems.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Need to butter up some egos so they don’t realise they’re involved

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1240990594706571264?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

I mean that would explain why journalists might be considered key workers

how else is the government meant to tell people what it's planning to do and why, if not through a series of anonymous briefings to their favourite lobby hacks?

On the one hand this is of course bollocks but it's not like the journalists are going to call them out on it, especially if they get to consider themselves VALIANT WARRIORS AGAINST THE VIRUS.

On the other, this strategy would seem to be a fairly solid way of improving the survival rates of the perma-online (especially when those casuals on Facebook are still all telling themselves that it's a hoax) which might have some interesting electoral effects down the line, let's not make too much fuss about it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Spangly A posted:

I've spoken to tories, and heard similar from others, that are somehow realising right now that the tory party gives no gently caress about the british people. They're not happy.

They're apparently not many if approval numbers are to be believed but this is sitting quite awkwardly with small c conservatives and general common sense nationalist types

i do think the tune will change once they or people they care about start getting it and realise how loving rough it is, but there are already attempts to scapegoat labour and the MSM rather than boris, so that anger could go either way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Spangly A posted:

I said this over Brexit, the moment Waitrose stores and Ocado/Sainsbury’s home delivery is effected the combined wroth of the middle classes and rich people will be dreadful to behold.

One liberal twat in his early 30s is currently bitching at riverford about how unfair it is and what about loyal customers. When like, all they did was cut you down to one veg box per person so way more people could have one dude.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Tesseraction posted:

Sorry I'm a little behind on thread news, have you two both tested positive for covid19?

No community testing so who knows, but it's definitely not anything else I've ever had and matches what I've seen reported for milder (read: not seriously ill) cases of it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

i do think the tune will change once they or people they care about start getting it and realise how loving rough it is, but there are already attempts to scapegoat labour and the MSM rather than boris, so that anger could go either way.

the yank right pivoted from "this isnt real" to "chinese bioweapon for the democratic party also we're strasserites now" within a very short time of the CPAC+aipac+bolso thing

I have bad news about the rationality of already credulous people during any major international crisis that breaks your normalcy bias

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've just nipped out to my local shops because despite my best planning, I had run out of Marmite and such a thing cannot be allowed to stand.

The local shops are a bit busier than normal (no bread) and there still seems to be a lot of traffic about in my bit of Hemel Hempstead, so the whole 'stay the gently caress indoors' line doesn't seem to have sunk in here.

The local cafe run by a top Kosovan lad is still open, "I ain't making no money but I ain't closing mate". He was always really supportive when I nipped in for a drink or a bite when I'd been canvassing or leafleting for the Labour party locally so I went and got a takeaway coffee. Probs got the 'roni now.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I would kind of suggest that in a normal, sane, non-British setting certain sections of journalists are definitely key personnel.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The quality of information and advice would probably go up it all the journalists in the UK were fired at the moon

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

The quality of information and advice would probably go up it all the journalists in the UK were fired at the moon

Don't even get me started on the moon

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

learnincurve posted:

I said this over Brexit, the moment Waitrose stores and Ocado/Sainsbury’s home delivery is effected the combined wroth of the middle classes and rich people will be dreadful to behold.

One liberal twat in his early 30s is currently bitching at riverford about how unfair it is and what about loyal customers. When like, all they did was cut you down to one veg box per person so way more people could have one dude.

it's really weird to watch political recombination play out this fast. The right develop international message discipline quite soon after the US decides the message in the best of times, we're probably watching a massive opportunity to develop a new consensus slip away from us while hoping the fash don't get thir poo poo rolling.

I mean I feel politically reinvigorated at least, it's sure as hell made apparent that our media must be destroyed first before we can do much else, and there's community work to do. And when this is over we'll have demonstrated that the climate crisis is an immediately solveable problem at a time where massive state intervention on employment will be an obvious self-preservation measure for pretty much every government

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hmm, I've just received an email that (in a very roundabout way) very strongly suggests that the Powers That Be expect us to be back to normal (as in no travel restrictions or social distancing) by June at the latest. While obviously this is a fair bit further out than they're publicly admitting to it's also much closer in than seems to be the consensus ITT, so I'm really not sure what to make of it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Things won't be normal for a year at least.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

Things won't be normal for a year at least.

There's normal and then there's normal though.

Like, if most people can get back to work and see their friends that'd be pretty loving good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mother's quite impressed with the dinners delivery to my surprise! But one of the 10 dinners was leaking so I said throw it out. I have emailed the company and suggested that they could donate a replacement to a food bank or something near where they are rather than send a replacement out.

My wife works for a company that sends out meals, it's been a busy week. They're going to run out of food.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Updated on the schools thing I posted last night: quantity schools are being given very wide discretion to tell parents to gently caress off and look after their kids, so the situation is looking a lot better than it was 24 hours ago.

In worse news I'm seeing a lot of panic buying being blamed on "organised groups of Asian men". So there is a conspiracy theory that Al Qaeda is hoarding our pure English toilet paper which is inevitably to going to lead to some hate crimes.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hmm, I've just received an email that (in a very roundabout way) very strongly suggests that the Powers That Be expect us to be back to normal (as in no travel restrictions or social distancing) by June at the latest. While obviously this is a fair bit further out than they're publicly admitting to it's also much closer in than seems to be the consensus ITT, so I'm really not sure what to make of it.

June is the earliest that this first wave could die down, and some semblance of normalcy might return through the summer, but until there is a vaccine there will be waves after that -- almost certainly multiple over the next 18 months.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If the combination quinolones work anywhere near as well as those french hospitals are claiming then maybe? even if they don't get close to the high 90s cure rate, if it's not a large fluke then there'll be something extremely valuable there that makes this a bit less about waiting for a vaccine

ofc with millions infected and a sample size in 3 figures for a disease that targets a heavily segregated population group, it would be a bit stupid to assume it's not a fluke. It'd also be lazy and easy so we'll be doing that.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So there is a conspiracy theory that Al Qaeda is hoarding our pure English toilet paper which is inevitably to going to lead to some hate crimes.

Al Qaeda are out there securing a future for muslims and their children, one face covering at a time. they've planned this for centuries!!!!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In some personal good news, I just got my hernia surgery before everything inevitably gets cancelled, so that's one problem out of the way.

Stings like a bitch, unsurprisingly, but I get two weeks of playing videogames before working from home anyway, so I couldn't have timed it much better. :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

In worse news I'm seeing a lot of panic buying being blamed on "organised groups of Asian men". So there is a conspiracy theory that Al Qaeda is hoarding our pure English toilet paper which is inevitably to going to lead to some hate crimes.
Just when I was wondering what dumb conspiracy the racists would jump on to blame for the shops being empty. Personal grooming gangs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

biglads posted:

I've just nipped out to my local shops because despite my best planning, I had run out of Marmite... Probs got the 'roni now.

Like 90% of the people who seem the most-worried seem to be finding any excuse to pop out for frivolous things right now. And 90% of them end up complaining about the crowds and how crazy everyone else is acting.

World is doomed.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

OwlFancier posted:

How is a surgeon going to help with coronavirus? Very small scalpels to cut the viruses up?

Transplant the lungs of young people into pensioners, human resources left untapped might cause a catastrophe amongst cyborg billionaires.

It seems the only people who aren't key workers are those that work in arts and culture hey.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

got beef at the butchers and a buddy picked me up some eggs from a petrol station shop so i finally had a fried breakfast

also i'm a 'key worker' because i do deliveroo.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

hemale in pain posted:

New thread title.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

hemale in pain posted:

got beef at the butchers and a buddy picked me up some eggs from a petrol station shop so i finally had a fried breakfast

Technically the same, as fudge making counts as ‘good production’.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I assume that it's going to start getting a lot worse over the next month or so, hitting a peak sometime around my Birthday in late May and then getting weirder after that.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We’ve had no new deaths in Scotland, but a 100% increase of new cases.

:unsmith:

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
I feel sorry for all the children of the key workers. They have to keep going to school while their mates stay home and play fortnite or whatever it is the youth do these days.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Updated on the schools thing I posted last night: quantity schools are being given very wide discretion to tell parents to gently caress off and look after their kids, so the situation is looking a lot better than it was 24 hours ago.

Surely Al Qaeda use bidet hoses?

Meanwhile, just been to our Community Hub (formerly known as the library) to bag a couple of rolls of the yellow bags our council use to collect nappy-type waste. If people in this block of flats start shoving wet wipes (including so called 'flushables') and kitchen towel down the bogs it'll block the drains and I'm on the ground floor. So I thought if I got a couple of rolls of the yellow bags and put a note up about wipes etc shouldn't go down the bogs and here's a yellow bag for that, it might help a bit!

I did face an inquisition at the library!

Shopping report:
No bog roll in Waitrose or Home Bargains. About 12 cartons of long life milk in Waitrose, fresh milk in both.
Waitrose still haven't covered up their open selection of bread rolls so people can touch them and cough all over them. (I did email Waitrose about this but to no avail obviously).
None of my favourite icecream.
No nescafe (yeah I know, wall) coffee in 200g jars, only really expensive stuff.
Even the fresh fruit and veg looking sparse now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 20, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah june 2021 seems about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

smiling giraffe posted:

I feel sorry for all the children of the key workers. They have to keep going to school while their mates stay home and play fortnite or whatever it is the youth do these days.

My sister just got my 61 year old diabetic mother to look after her children next week while she works at the hospital because apparently the children found it boring to be in school/kingergarten when others are home. Im not pleased.