Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache posted:

AOC and Bernie are currently members of the Democratic Party. They seem interested in fundamental changes to government and society.

Put someone's interest in one hand and a quarter in the other, and the quarter is having more of an impact on my life than they are.

As long as the old guard is around, their interest will only take them as far as gassing people up on Twitter.

Also, ban personal twitter accounts for representatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Video out of an Italian hospital

It’s genuinely unpleasant

https://vimeo.com/398334975

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Since this got lost on the last page:

To be a little more constructive, let's look at AOC and Bernie. After AOC was elected the Party stated that any candidate trying to primary an incumbent from the left would not have the support of the Party. The Party also engineered the defeat of Sanders in this primary. While I obviously wanted Sanders to win, I would be much more accepting of his defeat if it had been a result of a fair process. As it was, the Party threw its support behind Biden and essentially picked a winner, much as they did in 2016.

At that point, why pretend that the Democratic Party is anything other than a club for people who enjoy being in power and will only look out for those in that circle, as opposed to an organization to facilitate the political desires of the American people?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Woofer posted:

Put someone's interest in one hand and a quarter in the other, and the quarter is having more of an impact on my life than they are.

As long as the old guard is around, their interest will only take them as far as gassing people up on Twitter.

Also, ban personal twitter accounts for representatives.

I realize you're probably just extra nihilistic because you've been stuck inside for a week, but this post reads like you're saying that Bernie and ilk havent accomplished a thing when it comes to moving the democrats leftward and I think it is very sad that you're projecting so much hopelessness over that.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah.

I lived in Virginia up until late last year. We had two state elections in the time I lived there. VA dems have control of all three branches and we're already seeing a ton of solid changes come through. poo poo that would have NEVER happened under the GOP or split house/senate.

I don't think Dems are perfect and I admit they gently caress up the simplest of things, but I'm getting so tired of the "Dems do nothing, nothing matters!" poo poo.

I'm talking on the national level. State level politics are an entirely different animal.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bloops posted:

Video out of an Italian hospital

It’s genuinely unpleasant

https://vimeo.com/398334975

Posted a clip of this in the GBS thread and got the response of

Illuminti posted:

This is just panic mongering

Cool.

SimonCat posted:

The Party also engineered the defeat of Sanders in this primary.

lol, no they didn't. People dropping out and endorsing someone who isn't Bernie isn't ratfucking no matter how much anyone wants to believe it is. Sander's whole strategy was running in a crowded field and getting the largest share out of that. Once people started to drop out, that plan quickly fell apart. Didn't help much either that the youth vote barely turned out and Black voters overwhelmingly went for Biden.

SimonCat posted:

I'm talking on the national level. State level politics are an entirely different animal.

Okay, Dem controlled house has passed a fuckload of legislation that has languished on McConnell's desk and even if got past that, it's likely Trump would Veto a good chunk of it. Tell me how this is the Dems fault on a national level. Did 2018 just not happen or...?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 20, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

To be a little more constructive, let's look at AOC and Bernie. After AOC was elected the Party stated that any candidate trying to primary an incumbent from the left would not have the support of the Party. The Party also engineered the defeat of Sanders in this primary. While I obviously wanted Sanders to win, I would be much more accepting of his defeat if it had been a result of a fair process. As it was, the Party threw its support behind Biden and essentially picked a winner, much as they did in 2016.

At that point, why pretend that the Democratic Party is anything other than a club for people who enjoy being in power and will only look out for those in that circle, as opposed to an organization to facilitate the political desires of the American people?

Ok, this makes more sense and I completely understand your dislike of DNC establishment, I think that opinion is universal in this thread.

That said, I still disagree with not voting Democrat at all, because the current alternative is giving the elections away to republicans. Primaries and down ballot votes matter. Continue voting for the person who most identifies with your beliefs because at least that person isn't a nazi. Maybe sometimes you'll even get to vote for someone who you actually like.

Robert Evan's made a pretty good point on Worst Year Ever about the run of the mill democrat. We may dislike them, hate their policies, and generally view them as evil stooges for the elite, but now we are all dealing with the fallout of a pandemic in the Trump era and the difference between his response and Obama's is probably thousands of lives, post jobs, and a massive recession. I'll take the competent centrist over the incompetent racist any day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Feinstein and Omar are absolutely not the same. One just did insider trading based on COVID briefings and the other has had her party leadership attack her on multiple occasions

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

Posted a clip of this in the GBS thread and got the response of

Cool.

lol, no they didn't. People dropping out and endorsing someone who isn't Bernie isn't ratfucking no matter how much anyone wants to believe it is. Sander's whole strategy was running in a crowded field and getting the largest share out of that. Once people started to drop out, that plan quickly fell apart. Didn't help much either that the youth vote barely turned out and Black voters overwhelmingly went for Biden.

You seriously believe that Klobochar and Buttigieg just happened to drop out and endorse Biden when they did was coincidence?

And Latino voters overwhelmingly voted for Sanders. Not sure why you're making some kinda weird racial ranking were black people's votes count more than Hispanics.

brains
May 12, 2004

in current events news, oil has been all over the place due to the saudi-russian price war and, wait, what's this:

Yahoo Finance posted:

Oil Makes Record Rebound After Trump Hints at Role in Price War

Oil surged the most ever in New York as the U.S. president said he could get involved in the standoff between Saudi Arabia and Russia that has rocked crude markets.

U.S. futures rose 24% on Thursday, the most since trading began in 1983. Prices are still down almost 60% this year, with the slide accelerating following a failed OPEC+ meeting in early March, after which major producers pledged to pump more in a battle for market share just as the coronavirus crisis crushes demand.

U.S. President Donald Trump said he was searching for “medium ground” in the impasse.
sounds good, i wonder why h-

Trump posted:

“It’s very devastating to Russia, because the whole economy is based on that, and they have the lowest prices in decades,” he said. “I would say it’s very bad for Saudi Arabia. But they’re in a fight, they’re in a fight on price, they’re in a fight on output. At the appropriate time I’ll get involved.”

of loving course

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

No you wouldn't have been because you won't accept that Bernie can lose fairly.

Bernie engineered his own defeat by spending four years failing to figure out a) how to get black voters to trust him, b) how to appeal to voters over 30, and c) how to get more young people to show up at the polls.
He lost on his own. Bernie bet his campaign on increasing the turnout of the least reliable voting block. Biden bet his campaign on appealing to the most reliable Democratic voters. Bernie lost that bet. Try to accept that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

SimonCat posted:

You seriously believe that Klobochar and Buttigieg just happened to drop out and endorse Biden when they did was coincidence?

And Latino voters overwhelmingly voted for Sanders. Not sure why you're making some kinda weird racial ranking were black people's votes count more than Hispanics.

I didn't make a racial ranking here nor did I say they somehow matter more than Hispanics, but if putting words in my mouth makes you feel better, by all means. Black voters are a huge voting block for the Dems, you kind of need them to vote for you if you want to win the nomination. Sanders' didn't win this block in 2016 either, so he had four years to correct this and either he tried and it didn't work or he didn't do enough. Pick whichever makes you feel better.

And yeah, that's politics. Pete and Amy had no path at that point and I'm sure the realization for both of them was "jump out and endorse Biden now, have a say in his admin if he wins" played a huge part in why they endorsed when they did. That's not ratfucking, that's politics. Again, if Bernie depended on a crowded field to nab enough delegates to win the nomination, it's not the DNC's fault his plan didn't work out once the field narrowed.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bernie engineered his own defeat by spending four years failing to figure out a) how to get black voters to trust him, b) how to appeal to voters over 30, and c) how to get more young people to show up at the polls.
He lost on his own. Bernie bet his campaign on increasing the turnout of the least reliable voting block. Biden bet his campaign on appealing to the most reliable Democratic voters. Bernie lost that bet. Try to accept that.

loving thank you.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 20, 2020

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

What's this about words in people's mouths?

I'm so glad that Biden turned out all those votes in states whose Electoral Votes are going to Trump this fall anyway.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

I didn't make a racial ranking here nor did I say they somehow matter more than Hispanics, but if putting words in my mouth makes you feel better, by all means. Black voters are a huge voting block for the Dems, you kind of need them to vote for you if you want to win the nomination. Sanders' didn't win this block in 2016 either, so he had four years to correct this and either he tried and it didn't work or he didn't do enough. Pick whichever makes you feel better.

And yeah, that's politics. Pete and Amy had no path at that point and I'm sure the realization for both of them was "jump out and endorse Biden now, have a say in his admin if he wins" played a huge part in why they endorsed when they did. That's not ratfucking, that's politics. Again, if Bernie depended on a crowded field to nab enough delegates to win the nomination, it's not the DNC's fault his plan didn't work out once the field narrowed.

And yet Gabbard, Warren, and Bloomberg did not drop out prior to Super Tuesday, even though they had no path forward. I mean seriously, you really believe the Party didn't have a hand in this?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

I'm so glad that Biden turned out all those votes in states whose Electoral Votes are going to Trump this fall anyway.

Not sure why you're making some kinda weird racial ranking were black people's votes count less than Bernie people's votes.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

SimonCat posted:

Sanders lost the older vote hard, even while the Sanders campaign brought out that vote. That wasn't purely party effort, and his large vote shares (and wins) in 2016 weren't replicated because he wasn't running against Hillary. Democratic primary voters aren't nearly as left-leaning as the youth in the country are, and as long as they continue to skew heavily towards old folks it's going to be a problem. In states with significant hispanic and youth population Sanders is winning, but not by near enough of a margin to counteract getting nuked in the states that skew older and more white and/or AA.

If the virus had hit last year at this time, maybe the older folks would grudgingly come left a bit, or maybe not, maybe they would still vote for something comfortable and safe rather than wanting to make necessary changes. Most of them are poisoned by propaganda and just flatly don't get how this country got from 1929 (or earlier, like the 1890's) to the 50's and 60's, so rather than AOC and Bernie being seen as a return to how things used to be in response to the similar problems, it's some radical change that is super risky and might break everything, and they don't have time left in their life to wait for it to get better. They've also seen or felt that more liberal/left candidates got absolutely creamed over the years. The party is ultimately a reflection of all of this, much like Republicans are a reflection of the Tea Party backlash.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SimonCat posted:

So black voters in the South don't matter in your eyes. Cool cool cool.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dear SA,

Don't buy a gun. It will not help with the scenarios coming, no matter what they are.

Hugs and Kisses,
GIP

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EBB posted:

Dear SA,

Don't buy a gun. It will not help with the scenarios coming, no matter what they are.

Hugs and Kisses,
GIP

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

And yet Gabbard, Warren, and Bloomberg did not drop out prior to Super Tuesday, even though they had no path forward. I mean seriously, you really believe the Party didn't have a hand in this?

Is this the first time you've followed an election?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Black voters are not a monolith. The youth vote went to Bernie regardless of race. The old vote went to Biden regardless of race. The difference is generational not racial.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

SimonCat posted:

I have no idea what the hell Gabbards thinking was. Best I've heard was she stayed in for fundraising reasons. Who the gently caress knows.

Warren and Bloomberg were both banking heavily on ST to keep them viable. As soon as that didn't happen, both dropped out. Funny how that works.

And yeah, I don't think the DNC ratfucked Bernie because Klob and Pete dropped out. That's not ratfucking. Neither of us is going to change each other's minds on this so I'll leave it at that.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 20, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That the most conservative voters in the Democratic party are its base should tell you everything you need to know about the Democratic party and why we're here.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'll go one step further and connect the dots for you.

If the Republicans could drop the overt racism, older black and latino voters would support them in droves.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EBB posted:

Dear SA,

Hugs and Kisses,
GIP

It is baffling hearing(co workers and such) about people buying all sorts of guns and ammo because of this crisis. Especially since it's the people that already own several+ guns and large stockpiles of ammo. Not sure what they think it is going to accomplish, but hey at least it's stimulating the economy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The tp wars are gonna be brutal

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Flikken posted:

Not sure what they think it is going to accomplish, but hey at least it's stimulating the economy.

THEY'RE GONNA STEAL MY poo poo(-stained toilet paper).

My guess is that the gun hoarders are going to think that people out of work are going to resort to crime / stealing poo poo, and dammit, my guns need to be protected from being stolen!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'll go one step further and connect the dots for you.

If the Republicans could drop the overt racism, older black and latino voters would support them in droves.

Go ahead and tell me one more thing you know about the Negro.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I think we are all a bit on edge as of late :smith:

I hope all of you are safe and can stay healthy.

Here's Monty

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Woofer posted:

:same:

Please pet Monty for me. TIA.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Flikken posted:

It is baffling hearing(co workers and such) about people buying all sorts of guns and ammo because of this crisis. Especially since it's the people that already own several+ guns and large stockpiles of ammo. Not sure what they think it is going to accomplish, but hey at least it's stimulating the economy.

It's going to be great when you have people who have never handled a firearm before putting holes in themselves/their family members, which will then end up taking an ER/ICU bed away from someone who would have otherwise needed it. I'm a gun owner and thought about getting some more ammo, but then I thought about it for longer than a second and realized that if I can't handle a problem with the 150 or so rounds I have on hand, then we're very much into a Mad Max scenario and I'd be better off trying to find my neighborhood Immortan to cast my lot in with.

Meanwhile, in a throwback to the before-fore times, here is a reminder that Michael Bloomberg loving sucks.

https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1241027634827493376

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

Go ahead and tell me one more thing you know about the Negro.

I mean that’s more of a statistical polling fact than a weird racially motivated comment. If you dropped the racial aspect of polling you’d still get the same result, The majority of older southerners want republican policies, some of them just don’t want the racism along with it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Woofer posted:

Here's Monty

Quoting this for Monty, and for truth.

My job’s funding was based on NC OBX tourism, and with no visitors allowed...well, I’m probably about to be severely hosed as soon as that catches up with us.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SimonCat posted:

This is a really bad argument. To quote myself from earlier in the thread,

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah yes, the long-standing Republican strongholds of Maine, Massachusetts, and Minnesota.

Sanders' path to victory depended on vastly expanding voter turnout, widening his base, and winning in a crowded field. And unfortunately, that didn't happen. Voter turnout increased, but among the Olds just as much as Youth turnout (if not more). He was able to attract Latino voters in some places, but not others (Losing badly in Florida, for instance), and wasn't able to significantly peel off Biden's rock-solid support with African-American voters. And while he was able to compete strongly in the first few states, once his competitors began to drop out he wasn't able to maintain his lead.

Sanders put up a very strong run, but was dependent on greater support and turnout than he got—especially since, as it ended up happening, much of his support from 2016 was anti-Hillary as opposed to pro-Sanders. He did his best, and it wasn't enough to appeal to a Democratic primary electorate that, as it turns out, valued returning to Obama-era stability over revolutionary change (Something that also badly hurt Warren). So it goes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's going to be great when you have people who have never handled a firearm before putting holes in themselves/their family members, which will then end up taking an ER/ICU bed away from someone who would have otherwise needed it. I'm a gun owner and thought about getting some more ammo, but then I thought about it for longer than a second and realized that if I can't handle a problem with the 150 or so rounds I have on hand, then we're very much into a Mad Max scenario and I'd be better off trying to find my neighborhood Immortan to cast my lot in with.

Meanwhile, in a throwback to the before-fore times, here is a reminder that Michael Bloomberg loving sucks.

https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1241027634827493376

Christ Bloomberg is a motherfucker. I'm so glad he got loving crushed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Gonna feel good writing Bernie in as Trump waltzes into a second term.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
My father in law bought 2000 rounds, in addition to what he already has. Like, are you planning on getting in multiple day long firefights or something? Even the most undisciplined private would struggle to load and use that much ammo.

Also people with multiple guns loading up on ammo for all of them. Like let’s pretend this is IT, you need something for a 0-35m engagement and maybe a sidearm. Anything more is a waste and can’t be used. Like why buy ammo for his lever action and .357, in addition to the .223 and .45 for his useful guns?

I don’t understand how people think I guess? I’m really having to dream up scenarios where you need more than 50 rds.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, uhh, reading lots and lots of astonishingly bad figures about unemployment.

Bad. Like, really, really loving bad.

Official reported statistics are going to take time to compile. Estimate sources available right now are starting to use double-digit percentages.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Richard Bong posted:

My father in law bought 2000 rounds, in addition to what he already has. Like, are you planning on getting in multiple day long firefights or something? Even the most undisciplined private would struggle to load and use that much ammo.

Also people with multiple guns loading up on ammo for all of them. Like let’s pretend this is IT, you need something for a 0-35m engagement and maybe a sidearm. Anything more is a waste and can’t be used. Like why buy ammo for his lever action and .357, in addition to the .223 and .45 for his useful guns?

I don’t understand how people think I guess? I’m really having to dream up scenarios where you need more than 50 rds.

50 rounds is not even two mags worth of ammo. Maybe 2000 rounds is excessive, but when I buy ammo, its way cheaper to buy in bulk, so I think realistically of how often I go shooting, and will go shooting over the next year, and suddenly I have 1000 rounds of 5.56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A friend of mine is holding onto a .22LR M1 Carbine for me. He was just going to give it to me but I told him to wait till I could get a safe first (promised my wife).

I thought about reaching out and seeing if I could grab it now but honestly, why bother? If poo poo goes south in my neighborhood, we're all turbofucked anyways.