Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well ok then. Thank you sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah 1.5v is def too high. Thats probably even too high for a 5.3ghz OC.

All core load with BOINC on the 8700k ive got at stock settings sits around 1.28v at 4.3ghz all core.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. I'll crank that way down and see.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess that guy who needed a COM port is in luck
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/spectras-new-lga1151-motherboard-1992-pci-slots

quote:

The MS-98L9 V2.0's expansion configuration is one of the more interesting parts of the motherboard. It has one conventional PCIe x16 slot, one PCIe x16 slot wired at x4 and five vintage white PCI slots. At this point, we're suprised that Spectra didn't throw an AGP slot into the mix as well. However, the motherboard manufacturer does include an ISA (Industry Standard Architecture) slot that dates way back to the 1980's.

The list of internal headers on the MS-98L9 V2.0 includes two USB 2.0 headers, one GPIO (general-purpose input/output) header, four COM headers, one SMBus (System Management Bus) and one TPM (Trusted Platform Module) header.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Without VLB support it's worthless.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

K8.0 posted:

Without VLB support it's worthless.

Eh there's a huge number of research / embedded things that can take advantage of the board without vlb on those slots

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Potato Salad posted:

Eh there's a huge number of research / embedded things that can take advantage of the board without vlb on those slots

We would have to be super desperate to go down this path. But the PCI and ISA slot is like an old instrument manufacturer/user dream scenario. We could actually use this with some hardware assigned slots in a VM and potentially revive old instruments. However, the proliferation of GPIB to USB minimizes the necessity some, but those are about $1500 USD. So yeah, desperate.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Extremely triggered by mention of GPIB

*attaches 50 lbs of pass thru connectors to the back of a PC*

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I find it weirdly attractive

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I find it weirdly attractive
I love that there's room for six daughterboards without requiring some SSI variant. Of course, back then graphics cards didn't also take up 2-3 slots.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Saw that thing the other day. Pretty neato.

On a similar point, I do have a new in box ASRock board that is LG775 with DDR/DDR2 AGP/PCI/PCI-E

I was going to use it to tinker with a box of old GPU's I have lying around, as well as maybe benchmark between DDR/DDR2 speeds just for shits n giggles.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm going to buy that so I can finally plug in my AWE32 and use my CH F16

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sincx posted:

I miss AsRock's crazy boards.
They still make insanely dense boards, they're just really small boards for the sockets.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now I want to see an Ice Lake SP (4189 contact LGA) on a mini ITX motherboard :haw:

Do it AsRock!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Now I want to see an Ice Lake SP (4189 contact LGA) on a mini ITX motherboard :haw:

Do it AsRock!!
I take it you've seen the LGA3647 mini-ITX motherboard?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Saw that thing the other day. Pretty neato.

On a similar point, I do have a new in box ASRock board that is LG775 with DDR/DDR2 AGP/PCI/PCI-E

I was going to use it to tinker with a box of old GPU's I have lying around, as well as maybe benchmark between DDR/DDR2 speeds just for shits n giggles.

Finally, someone can do a definitive review of every Geforce 6200 variant

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jfc

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I want it.

FuturePastNow posted:

Finally, someone can do a definitive review of every Geforce 6200 variant

Or the GT210?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah that rules, need MORE PINS

mewse
May 2, 2006

I love that i/o panel

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

I want it.

Or the GT210?

I dunno if that came in AGP. Probably from some weird brand.

The 6200 had AGP, PCI, PCIe, LE and non-LE, TurboCache and not, and to my great shame I have owned several of them

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember when ASRock released a Skylake motherboard with a previous gen PCH on it and it blew my mind. Both what they did and why someone would want that

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember when ASRock released a Skylake motherboard with a previous gen PCH on it and it blew my mind. Both what they did and why someone would want that

Which one was this?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

sorry meant to say Sandybridge CPU with previous gen PCH and I can't seem to find it anywhere since I'm assuming its the nichest of niches

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Then there are the China boards that somehow shoehorn LGA2011 CPU's (SB-E, IB-E) to run on H61 and other oddball chipsets it was never designed to run on. Those are all over AliExpress. You have to dig a little to get true X79 chipsets and true QuadChannel memory boards.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

That's awesome. I really want that adorable little thing. They even fit six DIMM Slots on that!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

OK, that's simply impressive.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have fans on 100% in bios, but I use argus monitor to adjust fans from Windows. I think my cpu&gpu have 30-60s latency for adjusting fans. There's nothing that fan speed increase can do to sudden +20C spikes in temps. Only when temps start to constantly rise there's a reason to increase cooling.

I also repasted my 8700K with liquid metal, and repasted my gpu with non-conductive paste. The default pastes manufacturers use in electronics are just so bad, or incompetently applied.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rumors were right it appers, Rocket Lake is Tiger Lake backported to 14nm. Will have 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes, Willow Cove cores, and Xe graphics. With Comet Lake being delayed big time on PC, I wonder how far Rocket Lake is behind it. Also means that Sunny Cove (like Palm Cove before it) will apparently never come to desktop.

https://videocardz.com/newz/exclusive-intel-rocket-lake-s-features-pci-express-4-0-xe-graphics

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 22, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I guess having the 20 4.0 lanes off the CPU is nice; everyone gets a GPU and NVMe drive connected as fast as possible. Not a strong response (yet) to AMD’s strength right now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

movax posted:

I guess having the 20 4.0 lanes off the CPU is nice; everyone gets a GPU and NVMe drive connected as fast as possible.

I'm wondering how well they'll perform... might be a nice uptick vs AMD controllers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

movax posted:

I guess having the 20 4.0 lanes off the CPU is nice; everyone gets a GPU and NVMe drive connected as fast as possible. Not a strong response (yet) to AMD’s strength right now.

To be fair, all the 4.0 lanes hung off the chipset on x570 are sharing one 4x lane for CPU or memory access... which is actually the same bandwidth bottleneck as on that Rocket Lake diagram (16GT/s).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cygni posted:

To be fair, all the 4.0 lanes hung off the chipset on x570 are sharing one 4x lane for CPU or memory access... which is actually the same bandwidth bottleneck as on that Rocket Lake diagram (16GT/s).

Ahh — I meant the platform in general (mostly from an uArch POV). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but seems like NVMe might be better suited to take advantage of PCIe 4.0 now because 1) AFAIK, PCIe 3.0 x16 isn't blocking in terms of performance (yet), and 2) NVMe fills that niche where getting higher bandwidth with narrower links is actually helpful from a density POV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Ahh — I meant the platform in general (mostly from an uArch POV). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but seems like NVMe might be better suited to take advantage of PCIe 4.0 now because 1) AFAIK, PCIe 3.0 x16 isn't blocking in terms of performance (yet), and 2) NVMe fills that niche where getting higher bandwidth with narrower links is actually helpful from a density POV.

Yeah a bunch of x2 Gen4 drives will still be screaming fast, the controllers that can actually keep up with the line rate at x4 are just starting to trickle out now. The previous phison ones were just a smidge better than x4 Gen3 at x4 Gen4.

What I would like is a good home use solution to get rid of m.2s and adopt 2.5" drives either through oculink or mcio cabling. Could be through a combination of add in adapter cards and slots that bifurcate to x4x4x4x4 (or even x2x2x2x2.. etc)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The 2.5GBASE-T PHY is an interesting choice. I guess the manufacturing costs for them is distinctly cheaper than a 10GBASE-T PHY despite the latter having dramatically come down in both price and power consumption in the past five years.

Multi-gigabit switches are starting to become more common though the most common one you find is a 48-port where 12 or 16 of the ports are 1/2.5/5 GbE and the rest are just GbE.

eames
May 9, 2009

The usual rumor sites got their hands on relatively legit looking Rocketlake slides. It looks like they might „backport“ Tiger Lake to 14nm+++. PCIe 4.0, more I/O lanes, Xe iGPU, Thunderbolt 4 and USB 3.2 20G

https://videocardz.com/newz/exclusive-intel-rocket-lake-s-features-pci-express-4-0-xe-graphics

Im curious what this combination of architecture and process will mean for overall performance, efficiency and max frequency.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Someone remind me, removal of SGX — is that getting back die area? Or removal of microcode / defeaturing?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I dunno what the reason actually is, but apparently the shipping SGX implementations (Skylake onwards) have been vulnerable to microarchitectural side channel attacks. Perhaps Intel just gave up on it rather than trying to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They should give up on OoO all together.