Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TheRat posted:

My sister just got my 61 year old diabetic mother to look after her children next week while she works at the hospital because apparently the children found it boring to be in school/kingergarten when others are home. Im not pleased.

thats extremely reckless yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Mental health nurses can do a lot of ordinary nursing practice, although they'll be limited by their training. In these circumstances they might be looking at merging the capacity of physical and mental health practice where possible.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

So I'm now financially hosed

UBI would be super nice rn

Shame rioting would be reckless (because of large groups)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surely Al Qaeda use bidet hoses?
They're buying all the toilet paper while simultaneously wiping their arse with their hand because they hate Britain and want us to be under shattaf law.

The only other explanation is that a certain percentage of the British public (and people in general) are easily scared idiots who will enter a positive feedback loop of panic past a certain point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ratjaculation posted:

come live with me your posting pal

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jose posted:

come live with me your posting pal

sounds good, don't worry about giving me your address

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ratjaculation posted:

at least everyone would be wearing masks

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If you are a US citizen not currently in the US and don't intend to stay where you are for a prolonged period, you must return to the US right now:

https://www.travelcodex.com/u-s-state-department-issues-level-4-do-not-travel-advisory/

URGENT UPDATE 19 March 2020 @ 4:00 PM PDT
All Americans currently abroad are being told to immediately return to the United States unless they are prepared to stay abroad for an extended period of time.

Failure to return timely may result in a delayed entry back into the United States and that delay may be at your expense.

Official link:

travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

XMNN posted:

at least everyone would be wearing masks
clown masks don't offer any protection

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Actually gangs of Asian men sounds more to me like a group of corner shop owners trying to get stuff if the cash n carrys have run out.

Why I don't stockpile nice tasting food: I just ate 8 hot cross buns (pack of 4 - two for the price of one in Waitrose). And now I am going to suffer.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Oodles posted:

We’ve had no new deaths in Scotland, but a 100% increase of new cases.

:unsmith:

it's not an 100% increase.
Yesterday was 266 positive, today is 322, for 56 new cases.

The day before was 227 cases, so that was 39 new cases.

Still about a 40% increase or so, which is above what you want, but not horrible.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

mehall posted:

it's not an 100% increase.
Yesterday was 266 positive, today is 322, for 56 new cases.

The day before was 227 cases, so that was 39 new cases.

Still about a 40% increase or so, which is above what you want, but not horrible.

But the counter only goes up to 40%!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
BBC has commissioned a Jamie Oliver hosted tv show called ‘Keep Cooking and Carry On’. :psyduck:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pesmerga posted:

BBC has commissioned a Jamie Oliver hosted tv show called ‘Keep Cooking and Carry On’. :psyduck:

WW2 recipes:

http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/index-20-world-war-2.html

Blitz spirit and all that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

Sounds like a pretty good idea, actually.

It's kind of surreal being stuck indoors for days and then finally venturing out to the shops only to find that the streets aren't deserted, 28 Days Later style, but there are still a fair number of people milling about. I can't really complain - I didn't see anything egregiously bad, just walking down the road and to the shops like me, basically. But my route didn't take me past any cafes or pubs or anything. I suspect I'd be a lot angrier if it had.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
As good an idea as that is, why pick pick Jamie "farmers markets are so easy you disgusting peasant" loving twat Oliver to host it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Firos posted:

But the counter only goes up to 40%!

*throws clipboard at you* shut the gently caress up and lower the rods!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

well I'm officially a key worker and am expected to be at my desk in the office every day for the foreseeable future.

goddamn these lousy skills I apparently possess.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Go whole hog with Blitz-branded TV formats I say.

Peppa Pig For Victory
Hell's Kitchener WANTS YOU
Loose Bakes Sink Cakes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Buckle up

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/hospitals-critical-care-unit-overwhelmed-by-coronavirus-patients/7027189.article

quote:

A major London hospital has declared a “critical incident” due to a surge in patients with coronavirus, with one senior director in the capital calling the development “petrifying”.

In a message to staff, Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow said it has no critical care capacity left and has contacted neighbouring hospitals about transferring patients who need critical care to other sites.

The message, sent last night and seen by HSJ, said: “I am writing to let you know that we have this evening declared a ‘critical incident’ in relation to our critical care capacity at Northwick Park Hospital. This is due to an increasing number of patients with Covid-19.

“This means that we currently do not have enough space for patients requiring critical care.

“As part of our system resilience plans, we have contacted our partners in the North West London sector this evening to assist with the safe transfer of patients off of the Northwick Park site”

The hospital is run by London North West University Healthcare Trust, which has since reported six deaths related to coronavirus, all at Northwick Park.

The potential lack of critical care beds in England has been the major concern around coronavirus, and trusts are currently repurposing wards and retraining staff to try and create more capacity. National leaders have suggested the number of critical care beds likely needs to rise by several times.

One senior director at another acute trust in London, who also saw the message, told HSJ:

A senior director at another London acute trust told HSJ: “Given we’re in the low foothills of this virus, this is f***ing petrifying.

“The thing people aren’t really talking about yet is that we are going to have to quickly agree some clinical thresholds for admissions to intensive care. This is what the Italians have had to do, and whether it’s set at 60 or whatever, we are going to have to do something similar. There’s no way we’re going to be able to scale up to the level we need otherwise.

“The trusts in outer London seem to be hit much worse at the moment, probably about two weeks ahead of the rest of the country. Barnet, Lewisham and Greenwich, Epsom and St Helier, North Middlesex and Hillingdon are all struggling.

“I was in denial about the seriousness of this virus a couple of weeks ago, but not anymore.

“I’m now on calls with commissioners about getting more people out of hospital and into the community, and they’re saying ’yes that’ll be done in the next week’, and I’m on the verge of screaming at them. Things are going completely nuts.

“And there’s a real problem with private care homes refusing to take patients back unless they’ve been tested for covid-19. But that’s not the national guidance currently and there just aren’t enough testing kits to do it.”

A spokeswoman for LNWHT said: “Critical care capacity for patients with coronavirus is being organised on a cross-London basis so that hospitals and organisations work together to deliver the best possible care for patients.

“This kind of coordinated, flexible response is one of the NHS’s strengths but with staff pulling out all the stops they need the public to play their part too, by following the expert guidance on washing your hands, staying at home and using health services responsibly.”

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's a really interesting bit of history about how the War office and rationing influenced our diets in such a dramatic way. We basically eat brown bread because of WW1 flour rationing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Peppa Pig For Victory
Loose Bakes Sink Cakes
Homes Under The Bomber

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

It's a really interesting bit of history about how the War office and rationing influenced our diets in such a dramatic way. We basically eat brown bread because of WW1 flour rationing.

Can see what we end up getting this time, then https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/523854/PM-Letter-TL-TJM-EPM-final-20-03-20.pdf

This doesn't look great

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Is it just me or has there been almost total silence from the major press about the current conditions and preparedness in hospitals?

Usually they love a story about waiting lists, overflowing wards and queues in A&E, but they've seemed largely non-existent since this started when I was expecting an absolute flood of them. I was trying to find out how full hospitals were last night and couldn't find any reporting.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Wachter posted:

Peppa Pig For Victory
Loose Bakes Sink Cakes
The CBeebies presenters are telling kids all about washing their hands and using soap in the segments between shows.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

Is it just me or has there been almost total silence from the major press about the current conditions and preparedness in hospitals?

Usually they love a story about waiting lists, overflowing wards and queues in A&E, but they've seemed largely non-existent since this started when I was expecting an absolute flood of them. I was trying to find out how full hospitals were last night and couldn't find any reporting.

Would not surprise me in the least if UK broadcasters are under intense pressure by the government to not share hospital conditions because it'll "cause a panic" and "isn't in the public interest"

Not sure if D-notices apply to them or just newspapers, I'm sure goddamnedtwisto can say more about that.

But either way, we won't get all the news. This isn't the USA. I've been watching various coverage and the BBC has been terrifyingly unconcerned about the situation and the government's response. Twitter might be your best source soon enough, when hospital staff take to that platform to share their nightmares

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Remember; in our time of greatest need the British government only supported the already wealthy, the already rich, those already comfortable, bailing them out whilst the rest of us are to make do with what is left, the tories aren't your friends, they only care about the big people, those with money. They're too afraid of doing what needs to be done because it might affect the economy and ultimately, their bottom line.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1241025573968904195?s=21

lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The CBeebies presenters are telling kids all about washing their hands and using soap in the segments between shows.

The cruise ship I was on a few years ago had a video which would play over the screens sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwROGmJ946M&t=18s

It's unsurprisingly still ingrained in my mind.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Roller Coast Guard posted:

My kids have all come back from school with really irritated hands, and one has bleeding knuckles from dryness.

Either that or she’s taking part in a P1 fight club.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

probably some combination of pretending everything is fine, because reporting bad news would be unpatriotic, and it being easier and marginally safer to hang around Whitehall whatsapping the cum meister about what measures they're maybe considering taking at some critical moment when the timing is perfect instead of going to an a+e waiting room overflowing with potential carriers

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 20, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mattgarrahan/status/1241010146731581442?s=21

Shutdown's coming, London goons.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Slower than I thought... I figured there would only be a day between the guidance and closure order. It's been four days.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
So is that going to include cafes and gyms and everything else or are they gonna go half-assed

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The three micropubs on Sheppey are all encouraging people to continue going to them. FFS.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"asking people to stay away from them isn't working"

you don't loving say

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

So is that going to include cafes and gyms and everything else or are they gonna go half-assed

If past history is any indication, we’re going full assed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like this constant drone of "our plan isn't working, we have to do something else" isn't the best way to do crisis management?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Who could have predicted asking people nicely but not actually doing anything wouldn't work? That's a few extra days of unfettered spread on the government's hands. Lot of deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sassassin posted:

That's a few extra days of unfettered spread on the government's hands.

I wish