Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

no, paint it like a butt with the neck as the poop
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

As long as it looks like a van from the period 1973-1987 at the end of it, I'll be happy with your choices
:emptyquote:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

paint a strat on it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

maybe a Gibson would be funnier, something that looks like you couldn't afford the guitar you wanted so you went for the ultimate decal job

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

former glory posted:

I played a Vintera Tele at a shop a few months ago and it was rough for the price. The pick guard was a much thinner plastic than my CV tele and it was noticeably warping between screws - I could actually see wires through the gap in one case. Frets were sharp (might be shop's fault here). Sounded fine. For double the price of my CV - nah, I'm good.

Honestly, since getting my CV tele, I went from being a guy who thought the tele was a country crooner's chicken pickin' axe, to grabbing the tele for any given mood. Since falling in love with the tele sound, I've played some american teles and never felt the need move that way. My only gripe is the poly neck, but I can sand that some day, and the tuners are pretty jumpy.

My Sweet Stable of Axes, man :bravo2::

- CV 50's Tele Butterscotch #1
- Dinky with EMGs < I really want to sell this, but the pickups have the popping problem I posted about not too long ago :saddowns:
- Taylor 314
- Les Paul 2017 classic
- Fender DG11 (2001 or so) < First acoustic, I only use it for campfire / outdoor stuff and keep a set of coated elixirs on it that I never change

:same: when I started everyone insisted the Tele was country only. Now aside from the lack of an elbow cut, I prefer it overall. Plus I know plenty of emo bands that use the Tele so that part isn't even true.

Coming from a Strat clone, I know I prefer hard tail bridges now. I never use the trem and as much as I locked down the bridge, it's just another thing to worry about.

I had the neck sanded down. It was so worth it. The gloss kept feeling tacky and sliding around wasn't smooth. My guy did it for like 40 bucks and it feels like a different instrument.

Since I missed the boat on hoard-posting.

Yamaha FG-340 - my first, it was a hand me down from my aunt. Sat in a case for decades, still plays great. Loud as gently caress though.
Yamaha Pacifica 112V - This is what allowed me to play everyday since unplugged, it's not very loud and I don't get embarassed
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha BB234 - My GF got me this last Christmas and so I've been dabbling.

I'm such a Yamaha whore. I guess I like brands that hook it up and don't try to screw me over. It helps with the bass, Squier doesn't really offer any P-bass shapes at that price and quality point. Plus the natural alder looks absolutely beautiful. It's a PJ so it's versatile. If I have to have only one instrument, I'd prefer it be a Yamaha because they're always such high quality.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was supposed to go pick up my SG whose pawn-shop hold ends tomorrow, but I just checked and Guitar is closed for the foreseeable future. :(

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Paint the body so it looks like a dragon opening its mouth, and the neck is its tongue sticking out.

Spanish Manlove posted:

baka kaba posted:

paint a strat on it

baka kaba posted:

maybe a Gibson would be funnier, something that looks like you couldn't afford the guitar you wanted so you went for the ultimate decal job

You guys aren't making it easy to decide.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Ordered some of those Bootstrap tele pickups, curious to see how they turn out...

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

lol

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

baka kaba posted:

paint a strat on it

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

And corn kernels as the inlays.

skooma512 posted:

I had the neck sanded down. It was so worth it. The gloss kept feeling tacky and sliding around wasn't smooth. My guy did it for like 40 bucks and it feels like a different instrument.

Did he refinish it or just rough it up? I'm wanting to do this soon and maybe this covid downtime is a good opportunity to take a crack at it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

former glory posted:

And corn kernels as the inlays.

Did he refinish it or just rough it up? I'm wanting to do this soon and maybe this covid downtime is a good opportunity to take a crack at it.

He sanded it. Not sure exactly what procedure he went through but guys have had luck with 0000 steel wool and stuff like that.

He did say it took a long time to take enough of the poly off, it was really thick.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

skooma512 posted:

He sanded it. Not sure exactly what procedure he went through but guys have had luck with 0000 steel wool and stuff like that.

He did say it took a long time to take enough of the poly off, it was really thick.

I've had luck with 0000 steel wool, I know others will recommend micromesh. It doesn't take very long, only long enough to rough it up slightly.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I learned scales and the neck effectively through the box method. It helped me get to a basic level of proficiency early on but I also felt constrained at that time by only being able to play in these little zones at a given moment. Like I could pay licks around the 7th-9th frets, but then I'd have to shift up to the 10th-12th frets to play separate licks there and what I was wanting was to be able to jump around the neck more easily.

I eventually got there by memorizing all the notes on the neck, thinking about key signatures, and thinking about what note any given degree of any given scale was. If I want to play the sixth note and I'm in D natural minor it's Bb, and if I'm on the third string that's the third fret, if I want to hit it an octave up that's the 11th fret of the b string or the sixth of the high e.

I'm really bad at memorizing key signatures. For some reason even when I memorize them I don't seem to internalize in the same way as I do the C major scale.

Does anyone have advice for this?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Booyah- posted:

I'm really bad at memorizing key signatures. For some reason even when I memorize them I don't seem to internalize in the same way as I do the C major scale.

Play the 12 major scales every day for a couple of months and never worry about it again

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Do you mean you have trouble reading the key signature on sheet music, or that you have trouble finding the root note of scales that aren't C major?

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Cru Jones posted:

Ordered some of those Bootstrap tele pickups, curious to see how they turn out...

If they're the same quality as the vintage clean humbuckers i got from them, you'll be very happy.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Siivola posted:

Do you mean you have trouble reading the key signature on sheet music, or that you have trouble finding the root note of scales that aren't C major?

I can read treble clef okay because I played horn in high school. Bass clef is super hard for me because I'm so used to only treble clef for decades.

I think it's actually two problems:

1. Inability to recognize the functions of notes in the diatonic scales other than C. So for example A and 6th degree are synonymous for me, which makes it really easy to put a minor chord shape on an A root note if I think "I want a minor chord on 6". But if you ask me what 6th degree of D is, I know D major has two sharps but have to work backwards from D to find the 6th degree. So thinking "okay so D, C#, B is the 6" is way too slow to place the chord shapes around in real time.

2. Defaulting to scale patterns if I'm playing another scale on guitar. Since I know those decently well I basically lose track of exactly what scale I'm playing because the muscle memory goes through the pattern faster than I can think which notes they are.

The reason I want to work on it more is because I had a breakthrough recently where if I want to play some melody from memory, I can set the tonic to C in my mind, then play it out in 1 or 2 tries with decent accuracy using my scale shapes/fretboard knowledge for natural notes. Intervals help as well if I get stuck, but basically as I think of the next note I can "feel" that it's an A because it seems to have a minor function in the melody, e.g. as part of an arpeggio. It's like doing the same thing on piano: for a major melody I stick to the white keys and can usually feel if there's an accidental on some note.

I'd love to be able to do this in other keys, like common ones for Jazz standards (seems like Bb and Eb) and rock (G and E maybe).

This became a long rant, but I'm super excited about basically being able to "stick to the white keys" on guitar now, but for the Jazz tunes I want to play they are very rarely in the key of C and also change key signatures pretty often.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

How do you guys plan your practice sessions? Any good resources on that topic?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of the little exercises I prescribed myself the past few weeks might help you to internalize more of this stuff. I pick out a super simple melody, Wildwood Flower, and just play it inside the major scale box on the top 3 strings. So no matter where you move it, the shape doesn't change.

Start in C, and sing the notes as you play them. E F G ... A C E ... F E D ... E D C (but do the whole melody, not just the first line).

So you're working the intervals but talking out loud as you do it. Then just move that third-string root up to Bb and do the same thing. Your intervals and fingerings don't change, but your notes do, so that same 345, 683, 432, 321 melody becomes

D Eb F, G Bb D, Eb D C, D C Bb

Literally I just sing the notes along with myself playing.

Then I find a new root C and do the same thing on the new scale pattern. Not that I think it's an impressive thing to do, it just seemed like a more interesting way to learn the neck and scale patterns than jamming flash cards or whatever.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Also learning all 12 keys is pretty daunting, so sticking to the top half of the circle of fifths will give you a lot of benefit without having to think about what's the 6th in F# major and getting frustrated.

Also approaching learning keys from a bunch of different angles is good as the puzzle peices start to slowly match up.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
get the circle of fifths tattooed on the inside of your eyelids

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Helianthus Annuus posted:

get the circle of fifths tattooed on the inside of your eyelids

Make sure you use glow in the dark ink. Otherwise you will feel silly.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Did the goon guitar discord channel disappear?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Booyah- posted:

1. Inability to recognize the functions of notes in the diatonic scales other than C. So for example A and 6th degree are synonymous for me, which makes it really easy to put a minor chord shape on an A root note if I think "I want a minor chord on 6". But if you ask me what 6th degree of D is, I know D major has two sharps but have to work backwards from D to find the 6th degree. So thinking "okay so D, C#, B is the 6" is way too slow to place the chord shapes around in real time.

2. Defaulting to scale patterns if I'm playing another scale on guitar. Since I know those decently well I basically lose track of exactly what scale I'm playing because the muscle memory goes through the pattern faster than I can think which notes they are.
Okay so, let me blow your mind here: Number 2 is the solution to number 1, because you don't need to name a note to be able to play it.

Because the scales are defined by the intervals, the relative positions of scale degrees within a pattern do not change, no matter what key you're in. The scale shapes just move up and down the fretboard. Therefore, all you need to do to start out is learn the position of the root notes within those patterns, and then figure out where the different scale degrees are in relation to the root. The 4th is (generally) one string up, 7th two strings, and so on.

In other words, because you know how to play I to VI in C, you already know how to play I to VI in A: All you have to know is where I is.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Did the goon guitar discord channel disappear?
Yeah, but Brawnfire made a new one: https://discord.gg/6JDnGBp

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There was a bit of a boom but the dust has settled, the replacement server is kind of general interest but obviously since it's a core guitar populace it's gonna be guitar-central. That said, artists and writers are also welcome to share their craft! It all works together.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Booyah- posted:

I think it's actually two problems:

the first one might just be practice, like knowing the 5th or major 3rd in a particular key. You already have C memorised like that, just 11 more to go! It also helps that every key uses all the letters, so you know it's some kind of B, because you're jumping back 2, DCB. I know you're already doing that, but it's the kind of thing that can become second nature after a while. And you don't need to know the C is sharp, you just want whatever B is in the scale

Knowing if the B is sharp or flat or not is a familiarity thing too (well knowing quickly, you can work it out) but yeah the circle of 5ths can help you with that, since it's just changing one more of the notes to flat or sharp as you go around, depending on which way you're going. And they "stick" to a scale degree too, so if you move around clockwise adding sharps, the first scale is G major (#7), the next is D (#7, #3), then A (#7, #3, #6) - which means the 6th is gonna be sharp in any key from A major onwards as you move around. Same thing happens if you go the other way and do flats (the 6th goes flat on Db major)

So there are some shortcuts out there! Little cheat sheets that can take some of the work out of memorising stuff, so things fit into categories instead

for 2, you're playing too fast! and honestly, if you're using scale patterns anyway, it should be hard to get lost - that's one of the advantages of guitar, everything's movable, so to play in D you just play exactly what you would in C, just two frets higher. If you know your scale pattern you know where the roots are. And ideally you'll know where the 6ths are too - if not, learn some interval shapes! If you want to be really lazy, you only really need to know intervals on the bottom 2 strings:
pre:
2-34-5-6------------
6-7R-2-3------------

6-7R-2-3------------
34-5-6-7------------
there's yr root on the 6th or 5th string, there's the other notes around it (this is the major scale obv), now you can play your root 5 or 6 barre chords or jazz shapes based off those two strings. Pick notes in those chords to get a melody line. Have a vague idea of what you're doing while still yoloing it a little, responsibly

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Any tips on putting a 4 position switch in a Tele?

Aside from a sodering iron and a bit of extra wire, do I need anything else?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You ever have some days where you just wake up and you can play way better than you have in the past?

You ever have some days where you wake up and you just can't play for poo poo?

Stupid fallible human body

Booyah- posted:

beadgcf

Say this over and over, "Bead-geh-kef"

there's mnemonics but that's how I remember it, lol. Then you just walk the circle until you get to the number of sharps or flats.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 20, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Battle ends and down goes Charles's Father" for the order you add flats, and "Father Charles goes down and ends battle" for sharps.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What helped me start internalizing is trying to transcribe sheet music from Stardew Valley. I had to remember the sharps in D major or it would be all off.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

skooma512 posted:

Any tips on putting a 4 position switch in a Tele?

Aside from a sodering iron and a bit of extra wire, do I need anything else?

I bought an obsidian solderless 4 way control plate and it was easy to install. If you want to convert what you have, you just need a 4 way switch and the wiring diagram

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Booyah- posted:

Play piano. Honestly though, I only have like 6 of them memorized, how often do you need to know F#maj? At that point I'm thinking in G and transposing down a half step.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Play piano. Honestly though, I only have like 6 of them memorized, how often do you need to know F#maj? At that point I'm thinking in G and transposing down a half step.

I did pick up a cheap but decent electric piano with weighted keys a while back. When social distancing set in, I bought one of those piano courses for adults books to make sure I'm using the right fingerings and stuff, so I'll add a little of that to my practice.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

It sounds like I should pick a simple melody I really like that's in G-major, and practice playing it all over the neck. Of course I know the key signature, but playing that a bunch with the same fingerings will hopefully help shift my brain into G mode where B is a major third, D is perfect fifth, and I can recall that instantaneously rather than deriving.

I'd been playing Stardust and J'Attendrai a bunch before which is what helped feel more natural in C in different places on the neck.

BEADGCF I'm very familiar with, but I think I also need to keep the stacked thirds in mind more, like

GBDFACEGB...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Booyah- posted:

BEADGCF I'm very familiar with, but I think I also need to keep the stacked thirds in mind more, like

GBDFACEGB...

It’s just the lines and spaces.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm in the process of learning the 12 bar blues and I'm finding it really difficult to put my pinky down properly on the 6th. If I'm fingering the power chord like I usually do with my index and ring finger, the pinky stretch to the 6th causes it to bend inward like the photo here, and I get a bunch of buzzing and it's pretty uncomfortable. If I finger the power chord with my middle finger on the 5th, I can do it fine, but that's a pretty unnatural way for me to do a power chord and it would be a lot of work to practice getting that down smoothly. Did you guys run into any physical problems like this? How did you deal?

I'm wondering if my pinky is just crappy and I should work around it, or if practice can work this out. I'd much rather stick to standard fingering or maybe a prosthetic pinky. :pram: The third pic is just my hand is a slight claw grip showing how the special pinky bends.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Pinky is just a naturally weak finger, just gotta practice a lot and work it out.

That's a bit of a stretch, just doing it a lot your hand will adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just to solidly follow up, the discord for guitar and music chat is running smoothly now. Stop on by and shoot the poo poo about stringed instruments, music production, general musical stuff, etc. Guitarists, bassists, ukelelists, mandolinists, banjoists, lutists, or just music lovers welcome!

https://discord.gg/QWZ2wS