Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

oh man you found the World Boss of Coruscant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I’m so happy they brought up the mid-air collisions.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ONE person runs ALL of Coruscant? Christ.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

thetruegentleman posted:

: My orders are not polite suggestions, Lieutenant. You don't choose to follow them-you follow them. Lieutenant, when you are on a mission, you listen to my orders, then your brain, then your heart. In that order. There's no room for sentiment in our line of work. There should be similarly little room for it in you, or we're doomed to fail.

: I don't have to obey illegal orders, sir, and if we're so heartless, what separates us from the Empire?

: We are heartless so that the people of the Republic don't have to be, Lieutenant. So that the Republic does not become the Empire. Always remember that. Return to my office now-we need to discuss your next assignment. Garza out

: Killing innocent civilians for mild loving convenience? I'm starting to understand why her BFF Tavus joined Team Genocide.

And this naturally is why of all the Republic stories the Trooper lends itself best to a Dark Side run, because boy do Garza and company try to push the "hard people making hard choices" crap on you and the story does admittedly flow pretty well if you embrace that unlike the Jedi DS equivalents. Fortunately a Light Side approach is well supported also, mind you.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Funny enough, between a DS trooper or an LS trooper, the LS trooper would be more likely to join the empire.
The DS trooper completely and absolutely hates and despises the empire does a lot of dark poo poo to kill as many imperials as possible.

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Please don't talk about planets and plot decisions we haven't gotten to yet.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Sorry I had meant to spoiler that and completely forgot

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
maybe re-read Moon's request :v:

I'd forgotten how hard they push the Hard Choices angle even this early in the trooper line, wow.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

"Just Following Orders" hasn't been a valid defense for war crimes (and crimes against humanity) hasn't been a valid defense since 1945. Good on you, Dasher, for telling your superiors to gently caress right off with that garbage.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Updates will resume this week. The Esseles updates were done before my vacation so I've run out of my buffer (New Mexico rules, btw, and I'm seriously looking at ways to move down there). Also like I've mentioned before I do a lot of my writing when I'm bored at work and I'm currently self-isolating for a week since I was traveling. Also also, I picked up State of Decay 2 on a whim and am currently focused on keeping my idiot survivors from getting eaten and wasting ammunition shooting at walls.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 7: The Jedi Envoy

quote:

Successfully completing the Jedi trials on Tython, ALORA STARI has been elevated from padawan to the rank of Jedi. The Council was quick to recognize the potential of the Order's newest Knight.

At the request of Master Kiwiiks, the Jedi Council sent Alora to CORUSCANT, to investigate a dark presence they had sensed on the Republic's capital world.

Accompanied by the faithful astromech droid T7-01, Alora must meet with Master Orgus and other members of the Council to learn more about this new threat …

: Ah, there you are, T7. How was your flight?
: Trip = uneventful + annoying // Jedi = trip also uneventful?
: Far from it! I’ll tell you the story later, though.

: T7 = excited to leave Tython // T7 = happy to have Jedi partner
: We make a good team, Teeseven.

: Wow.
: Galaxy = dangerous place // Galaxy = needs Jedi + T7 // T7 = many skills + eager to help
: I get the feeling there's tough times ahead. I'm glad you're up for the challenge.
: Jedi + T7 = start as soon as possible // Jedi + T7 = save the galaxy
: Assuming we don’t get lost on the way there! I’ve never seen so many speeders! Or people. Or buildings. Do you know your way around?
: T7's last chrono entry of Coruscant = destruction of Jedi Temple // Memory recall = unpleasant
: …
: Ah. Well, I was raised in Jedi enclaves that were much more … rustic, let’s say … than here. But I’m pretty sure if we head in the direction of the Senate tower we can’t miss it!

: Double wow.

: Yep, I’m going to have to go ahead and give this place the rare triple wow.

: I’ve arrived, Master Orgus. Tell me what’s happening.
: You remember Master Kiwiiks and Padawan Kira.
: Yo.
: This is General Var Suthra …

: … and Doctor Eli Tarnis.

: We’re discussing why the Republic secretly built a planetary-scale weapon without consulting the Jedi.
: What?
: My work barely qualifies as a weapon. It’s the most humane military technology ever invented. With a single activation, the Planet Prison supercharges a world’s upper atmosphere, turning it into an enormous ion cannon. Any starship entering or leaving the planet will be completely disabled. Perfect enemy containment, without casualties.

: I’m extremely impressed.
: The Jedi, of all people, should appreciate what we’ve created. It’s a non-violent means of ending war.
: Have you tested this Planet Prison’s safety?
: We were about to begin field testing when this pointless debate started.
: Regardless, you’ve allowed the Planet Prison’s design files to be stolen by common criminals.

: I doubt the thieves even realize what they have. Besides, the data is encrypted.
: Our people are pursuing every possible lead.
: With all due respect, old friend, don’t you think it’s time the Jedi got involved? Master Kiwiiks and I must speak with the supreme chancellor. I need you here finding those design files.
: This smacks of homework. Couldn’t you handle this yourself?
: I have my battle and you have yours.
: Checks out. I’ll do it.

: You stay as well, Kira. Your security expertise may come in handy.

: General! We have a lead on the thieves.
: This is Agent Galen of the Strategic Information Service.

quote:

The Strategic Information Service (SIS) is the Republic’s premiere intelligence and espionage agency. Chartered and overseen by the Galactic Senate, the SIS is responsible for information gathering and covert operations both inside and out of Republic space, as well as for assisting the military, local law enforcement and the Jedi Order.

The SIS is the latest in a long line of Republic espionage agencies founded and disbanded over the centuries. Originally a monitoring and decryption arm of the Senate library, the SIS rapidly expanded during the war against the Empire. It remains smaller, more focused and comparatively underfunded in comparison to Imperial Intelligence, but has proven its effectiveness many times over.

Although by no means a secret organization, the SIS keeps a relatively low profile. SIS operations are rarely revealed, and its administrators almost never appear alongside Senators or other officials. This is a public relations gambit -- the SIS believes that the Republic citizenry would be uncomfortable with the nature of its work, and so avoids attracting attention and unwanted questions.

: Agent, these young Jedi will assist you.
: And these old Jedi are off to our meeting. Good luck.

: Alright, agent, bring us up to speed.
: Thirty-two hours ago, thieves raided a military storehouse. They stole weapons, supplies, and data files for the Planet Prison project. The thieves’ leader slipped up, showed his face to a security camera. We identified him from our criminal database.

: Vistis. Rodian smuggler. Staying with the so-called Migrant Merchant’s Guild. Nasty bunch of criminals.
: Why would alien gangsters rob a military storehouse?
: They must know what you’re working on.
: Impossible. It must be a coincidence.
: The Guild is a violent, well-armed criminal cartel. Invading their headquarters is something only a Jedi could pull off.
: Not even all Jedi, I’ll bet.
: Oh dear. I really must go sit down. Excuse me.

: Agent, let’s use your fancy security network to distract those gangsters. Give my friend and the thieves some quality time.
: I’ll tell them you say hello.
: When you find Vistis, contact me. The data files are top priority, but try to recover anything else that was stolen from us. Good luck.
: I don’t need luck. I have the Force.
: Wow, you get that off a recruiting brochure?
: Maybe.

[Short update for now due to various real-world stuff happening, but hey, we’ve run into Padawan Kira Carsen here a couple of times now, so I think we’d better decide: [b]do we like Kira, or do we dislike her?[/i]

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

We Like Kira

but we snark at her like no tomorrow

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pretty good idea for a weapon... provided it isn't permanent, anyway. Switch it on/off. Which doesn't sound like it can do, so... iffy. Hm. Anyway! Kira seems spunky, I like spunky people. Be nice!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I haven't had a chance to show off interactions with a disliked companion (Corso), but trust me when I say that you can be a real dick to your companions.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I didn't play the Knight much, but I don't remember anything particularly unpleasant about Kira, so be nice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Be nice

If only because while our droid is a good little boy, giving him dialogue that painfully close to leetspeak instead of just beeping makes me want him benched so bad.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kira is pretty alright. She's not very Jedi, but then again neither are you I guess.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Like Kira, but snark her into the ground.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Sometimes I can't help but wonder if going, "only a Jedi could possibly do X!" is just playing the Jedi because they know they'll do all the actual work, or if people really don't know that those without Force powers can also get poo poo done.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

It's a bit of both, I imagine.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 8: Stolen Secrets

quote:

Successfully completing the Jedi trials on Tython, ALORA STARI has been elevated from padawan to the rank of Jedi. The Council was quick to recognize the potential of the Order's newest Knight.

Alora was sent to Coruscant, where Master Orgus tasked his former Padawan with tracking down the stolen plans for the PLANET PRISON prototype weapon.

Accompanied by the padawan KIRA CARSEN, Alora must venture into the territory of the dangerous Migrant Merchants' Guild to recover the stolen plans …

quote:

Twenty years ago, the old Galactic Market was a bustling center of commerce where the goods and wealth of the galaxy flowed freely. Since the Treaty of Coruscant, however, the market has become a shadow of its former self.

The old Galactic Market was the site of extraordinary scenes after the war. Thousands of homes in the lower reaches of Coruscant -- most belonging to poor families -- were destroyed during the Imperial invasion. The homeless families squatted in the marketplace; when ordered to leave by Republic military forces, the squatters rioted in protest.

The market has never been truly safe since, and the criminal Migrant Merchants' Guild has gradually established its own control over the area. While careful and well-armed visitors can still find useful technology or rare weapons there, most are advised to stay away.

: I don’t know what Galen was talking about, this place isn’t that bad.
: Old Galactic Market crime rate = 346% higher than upper city
: Well common criminals should stay clear when they see Jedi garb. And if they don’t, well, then they can become acquainted with my Jedi lightsaber.

: T7 = concerned that there appears to be a dead body in the street

: Knock knock! Is this the headquarters of the Migrant Merchants’ Guild?

: Never mind, I’ll show myself around.

: Definitely Republic munitions. We’re in the right spot.

: Whoa, whoa! I give up! I only work for the guild part time. I’m not dying for them. You here for something special, Jedi? Take anything you want. I’ll even help you steal it.

: Agent Galen? I believe I found our thief.
: Get the stolen design files and hurry back. We’ve had a major security breach.
: What’s happened now, agent?
: This holochannel isn’t secure. I’ll brief you at the Senate tower. Galen out.

: Hang on … you’re after those data files I lifted? I knew I should have charged more for that heist! Let’s make a deal, huh? I have the data files, but the guild already decrypted them. I transmitted a copy to my clients. You want the people who hired me. I’ll tell you where they are -- if you promise to let me go.

: Betray me and you’ll regret it.
: Lie to a Jedi? Who’s dumb enough to try that?
: You’d be surprised. Talk.
: Black Sun hired me. Them and the Guild are rival syndicates but I work both sides. My deal was to use the Guild's slicer to decrypt the data files and then transmit a copy to Black Sun.
: What would the Guild do if they found out you work for Black Sun?
: I’m likable. They’d probably only take two fingers.
: Thief = irrelevant // Black Sun = real culprit
: Look, you can take the data files I stole. Just let me go.
: Leave now and never come back.
: Sounds good to me. Think I’ll go visit my friends on Nar Shaddaa …

: Senate tower = important + fancy // T7 = should have gotten oil bath before coming
: Bah, it’ll do these stuffed shirts good to get a little dirt on their floor. We’re the ones keeping them safe in their fancy buildings after all.

: I got your files, but the thief transmitted a decrypted copy to Black Sun.
: You found our stolen military hardware? Good, we’ll need it. While you were gone, kidnappers grabbed Doctor Tarnis.
: This is the most secure building on Coruscant. It’s full of guards!

: Guards never stood a chance. Whoever the kidnappers are, they knew right where to hit us. Kira led a security team in pursuit but the kidnappers split up during the chance. Hang on, signal coming in.

: Agent Galen, I’ve got these creeps pinned down, but they won’t surrender!
: Padawan Kira = in danger // Jedi + T7 must help
: Don’t know how long I can hold them!
: She’s in over her head.
: She needs backup. Tell me where to find her.
: Kira’s signal came from the spaceport. The kidnappers may try taking the doctor off world. You need to stop the kidnappers before they escape with Doctor Tarnis. Hurry!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Rather surprised a planet-sized city has housing problems. I guess SpaceBNB keeps tenements empty for space tourists. drat you, space capitalism.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Coruscant is one of many, many things in Star Wars that doesn't make sense if you think about it too much (how do they feed everyone?)

One of the few interesting ideas in the old EU, though, was the idea that the lower you went in Coruscant the weirder things got. Two to three hundred levels down and it's a wasteland of abandoned corridors and psychotic droids.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Coruscant is one of many, many things in Star Wars that doesn't make sense if you think about it too much (how do they feed everyone?)

One of the few interesting ideas in the old EU, though, was the idea that the lower you went in Coruscant the weirder things got. Two to three hundred levels down and it's a wasteland of abandoned corridors and psychotic droids.

Elsewhere in the EU they do touch on the logistics of shipping in food and waste processing, but yeah, it doesn't make much sense.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moon Slayer posted:

To be fair, the people living in the Old Galactic Market are refugees from the last war. They all came to Coruscant and then the Sith bombarded the planet. The Republic offered to settle them off world while they were rebuilding, but the refugees decided not to.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

To be fair, the people living in the Old Galactic Market are refugees from the last war. They all came to Coruscant and then the Sith bombarded the planet. The Republic offered to settle them off world while they were rebuilding, but the refugees decided not to.

What? Have my own house for cheap in the outskirts offplanet? No I'd rather starve to death in New York Coruscant. It is so much more glamorous.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Eldritch lower Coruscant is something I'd like to see more of.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 7: The Gambler

quote:

Captain JEK TAMBO has tracked the nefarious scoundrel and starship thief SKAVAK to the Republic's chaotic capital world of Coruscant, which struggles to rebuild from the Sith Empire’s devastating attack during the war.

On a planet of a trillion inhabitants, where vicious gangs battle the overwhelmed government for control of entire sectors, finding Skavak will be impossible without making powerful new friends.

Aided by the trusty CORSO RIGGS, the smuggler enters the planet’s seedy underbelly seeking clues to his stolen starship’s whereabouts …

: Hey cap’n! How was your trip? I sorta expected you to get here before I did.
: Don’t ask.
: Oooookay. So how about that war, huh, Captain? You think the Republic’ll stop hiding behind the Treaty of Coruscant and admit they want the Empire wiped out?
: ...
: It doesn’t sit right negotiating with people who want every man, woman, and kid dead.
: What does it matter how they kill each other, as long as there’s credits to be made?
: And you call me naive … There’s no credits to be made in an Imperial slave collar. I joined the Peace Brigade when l was fourteen. I know what a world looks like when the Empire's done with it.
: What's that? A bunch of do-gooders?

: The brigade's a relief organization. Go into worlds abandoned by the Treaty of Coruscant, help people displaced by the Empire.
: Mmm hmm.
: l was a kid looking for an adventure. After two months … let's just say there are no kids in war zones.
: Everything on Coruscant is huge. You see those city towers as we flew in? How many people you figure live in those? Millions?
: Corso, I am not in the mood. What do you want?
: All right, all right. Wanna find Skavak before we’re too old to shoot straight? We’re gonna need local help.
: Got someone particular in mind?
: I happen to know the perfect guy. There’s a gambler named Darmas Pollaran who keeps tabs on everything worth knowing about Coruscant. Good man. You’ll like him.
: What else do you know?
: Viidu called him an “information broker.” When Darmas isn’t playing sabacc he buys and sells the kind of answers we need. I still have Viidu’s holofrequency contacts and Darmas is one of them. Give me a second and we'll talk to the man himself …

: Corso, is that you? It’s been too long, you rascal. What brings you to Coruscant?
: A friend and I are in a real bind. Is there a place we can meet you?
: Of course. Come to my private cantina booth. I’m here now, winning my tenth hand of sabacc against a very persistent Rodian. Hope you don’t mind the occasional blaster fire; the cantina’s in a rowdy part of Coruscant.
: Sounds like my kind of place.
: Do you know how to play sabacc? If not, I’ll teach you. It’s the favorite game around here.
: Keep your comlink channel open, Darmas. I’ve got some bad news about Viidu.

: I’ll bring Darmas up to speed while we travel, Captain.
: Stick with me or I’ll leave you behind. And there’s a very important stop we need to make, first.
: You got it.

: You sure spending the last few credits we had on clothes was a smart move, cap’n?
: Clothes make the man, Corso. Also that armor was smelly and it chafed, in addition to getting us weird looks. This is much more my style.

: Wow … even the cantinas here are big. Darmas says this is the best waterin’ hole on the planet.
: Hmm … not enough stains for my taste.

: Welcome, my friend. I’m Darmas Pollaran, sabacc player and information resource without equal.
: Nice to meet you. I’m the fastest blaster in the galaxy.
: I guess congratulations are in order. I wasn’t aware that competition had been settled. Good for you.
: Touche.

: You seem to have a lot of female admirers.
: Women seem to find me irresistible. Just one more way I’m an extremely fortunate man. Sorry to hear about Viidu. He was a man of refined tastes and a terrible card player. I’ll truly miss him. Life is like sabacc. The trick is to quit while you’re ahead and enjoy your winnings -- exactly how I'll spend my twilight years.
: I’ll still be flying around this galaxy a hundred years from now.
: Ha! I like your spirit, captain. Sometimes I think I’m already too old for this business. Now, I know this isn’t a social call. Corso says you have troubles, and I’m prepared to help.
: A man named Skavak stole my freighter and brought it here.

: Corso mentioned a cargo hold full of stolen blasters and the infamous Rogun the Butcher, too. My sympathies. Skavak is well known in the galactic underworld. He’s earned death sentences across the galaxy for everything from armed robbery to kidnapping. He’s known to be in the Sith Empire’s pocket, and he even cheats at cards. I’m happy to help you find him.
: Skavak works for the Empire?
: On occasion, yes. The man isn’t particular about his friends. Let’s hope that makes him easier to catch. Soon as Corso mentioned Skavak’s name. I alerted all my best informants. I’m getting some interesting leads.
: What did I tell you, captain? Darmas can find out anything. We’ll have Skavak in no time.

: Let’s hear Darmas’s brilliant advice first.
: I don’t offer advice, captain -- only information. What you do with it is up to you.
: And how much do you want for your information, Darmas?
: Nothing, my friend. I couldn’t live with myself taking advantage of a man who lost his starship.
: Mm hmm.
: Skavak recently used the services of a data slicer named Kixi in the Migrant Merchants’ Guild headquarters. Quite talented, I hear.
: I’ll say this: The man has a way with women.
: I don’t think it‘s a romantic relationship. Skavak doesn’t cavort with aliens -- even near-humans like Kixi.

: Cool, I can add “racist” to the list of reasons to hate him.
: Kixi might be able to help you flush Skavak out of hiding. Be careful, though -- the guild is well armed and doesn’t like outsiders.
: I’m sure we can come to some kind of arrangement.
: Now excuse me, but I notice some delightful young ladies in desperate need of attention. Duty calls.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Wait, the migrant guild doesn't like outsiders. I knew they were dumb, but wow.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's Skavak that's the racist, not the guild.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's Skavak that's the racist, not the guild.

quote:

Be careful, though -- the guild is well armed and doesn’t like outsiders.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

me am smart

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 9: Kidnapped!

quote:

After successfully completing the Jedi trials on Tython, ALORA STARI has been sent by the Jedi Council to Coruscant to investigate a dark presence on the Republic capital world.

Master Orgus tasked his former padawan with tracking down the stolen plans for the Planet Prison, but during the mission a Republic scientist named DOCTOR TARNIS was captured.

Padawan KIRA CARSEN has pursued the doctor’s kidnappers to the spaceport, but is in danger of losing the battle. Alora Stari hurries to the spaceport to assist …

[The Coruscant spaceport is absolutely huge, and at the time of launch you could not ride a speeder in any spaceport in the game. Some spaceports won’t even let you fast travel out of them. Big, empty spaces that you have to walk through = more game time = content!]

: Just in time. These guys get points for courage but we’re a little outnumbered. There’s more than a few trigger-happy thugs in that docking bay.
: T7 sensors indicate “more than a few” enemies = accurate assessment

: The kidnappers are threatening to kill Doctor Tarnis, but they might be bluffing. I’m not even sure they have him.
: If they don’t have the doctor they’re no use to us.
: We lost the other kidnappers. This hunch is our best shot at saving Tarnis. So how do we handle this?
: Are they open to the possibility of surrender?
: Tried negotiating with the leader. He shot at me. Very rude.

: I’ll deal with this alone. You stay here.
: Don’t do that. I may be a padawan, but I know a few tricks. I borrowed a stealth field generator from Agent Galen's office. Makes me practically invisible. I can sneak in first, then when you attack I’ll take a few thugs by surprise. What do you think?
: I don’t know …
: The only reason I’m still a padawan is because of my master. I’ve passed every test. Master Kiwiiks just doesn’t think I’m serious enough to be a full Jedi. But I’m working on it. Give me a chance.
: All right, I guess I can respect that. I suppose there’s no rule against padawans joining combat missions. I certainly did. But if you get killed I’ll be very upset.

: Not half as upset as I’ll be. Now you see me …

: Now you don’t.

: Dang, that’s a good catch phrase. I need one of my own. Hmm … “Time to go to work.”

: Ahh!

: Agh! Jedi scum. I’ll kill you … someday …
: Don’t make me laugh.

: He sure killed my stealth field generator. Oh well -- it was fun while it lasted. Isn’t teamwork grand?
: You handled yourself like a true Jedi, Kira.
: Wait, I need a holo of that. I want to play it back for Master Kiwiiks.
: Heh. No promises.
: No sign of Doctor Tarnis. Kinda puts a damper on things.
: We were the decoys. Now you’ll never see your little doctor again.

: Is that so? Give me a minute with this guy, I’ll make him talk.
: If nothing else, this’ll be entertaining.
: Thanks for the encouragement. Thing is, we don’t need him to talk. Not when I can just read his mind …

: What? Stop that! Get out of my head! Get out!
: You’d better tell her. You see that glowing? Yeah, you don’t want to mess with the glowing.
The doctor’s in the Black Sun headquarters! Salarr has him! Just leave me alone!

: Cheap thugs’ll believe anything. I can’t read your mind, stupid.
: You... you tricked me?
: But I could have read your mind if I wanted.
: Show off. Black Sun is a major crime syndicate. Whatever they want with Tarnis, we’d better save him quick. Me and my security detail will clean this up. Agent Galen will want to hear about this.

: Doctor Tarnis is the least of our worries, general. The stolen data files had details not only on the Planet Prison, but every weapon prototype and research facility in existence.
: Our most powerful experimental weapons, and Black Sun has access to them. How could this happen?
: What are the other weapon prototypes -- and why didn’t you tell us about them?

: Things are called “top secret” for a reason!
: Calm down, old friend. It’s a fair question -- but one for another time.
: We must act quickly to secure these other weapons. Where are they?
: Three offworld research facilities. Minimal defenses to give them a low profile. They're vulnerable.
: That … seems like an awful idea.

: Master Kiwiiks and I will split up and protect two.
: And I’ll take the third one.
: You get the fun part -- rescuing Doctor Tarnis and the copied data files from Black Sun.
: We’ll be back in time for dinner.

: Kira will stay behind, too. With Agent Galen leaving her computer talents will be needed.
: She can be impulsive. but give her a chance. You’ll make a good team.
: She’s rough around the edges, but I like her.
: Kira is a good person. She simply needs strong guidance. Share what you’ve learned. She will benefit from your example.
: We should go. May the Force be with us all.
: I’ll escort you to your ships, my friends.

: Before I go, I’m putting all my resources at your disposal. There’s a special tactical unit in Black Sun territory. Experienced security officers who have been fighting those gangsters for months. Go to these coordinates. Talk to Sergeant Nidaljo. He can help you rescue Doctor Tarnis and get those copied data files.
: This mission’s too important to fail. I’ll take all the help I can get.
: I’ll let him know you're coming. Don’t underestimate the Black Sun gang. They enjoy killing and they‘re good at it.
: I can relate.
: Kira’s on her way. I’ll get her plugged into our security network before I leave. Good luck.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Bad Jedi, you're not supposed to enjoy killing!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

In case people haven't been picking up what I've been putting down, Alora is a very good lightsaberist, but not a particularly good Jedi and kinda not a good person.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2020

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
: Daydasher, we've got a lead on Tavus; take your ship and deal with him. I'll get you an escort fleet, but the specifics are up to you.
: Don't presume to give me orders, general...but we are agreed. I will deal with Tavus...personally.

: Enemy ships approaching, sir. Looks like the general was on the money.
: She's a smart woman; she knows what would have happened if I got here and there was nothing. Close in, and send all ships to high alert.

: Send the scout it in, I want readings before the fleet is in any danger.

: Scout destroyed, sir. No lifepods detected; looks like they didn't have time to jump ship.
: But we have their scans?
: Yes sir.
: Then things are going as planned. Mark the crew for a commendation, and continue to close.
: Aye.

: Enemy bombs deployed; minor shield damage. Main batteries are in range.
: Fire at will.

: Our trap is sprung. PREPARE TO BOARD!
: A ship is blocking us from boarding range, sir.
: Ram it.

: Ramming successful; 526 reported casualties, and fires in 36 forward compartments. We are in boarding range.
: I will handle this myself; you finish things here.
: Aye, sir.

: I've landed. Tavus is probably hiding somehwere up ahead; I'll press on.

: Die, you traitor filth!

: Your minions can't stop me! Face your fate, Tavus!

: Found you!
: You can't stop me, Dasher! No matter how attractive and dangerous you are!
: Oh yeah?

: MISSILES TO THE FACE!
: ARH!

: Any last words?
: My squad sucks and I am sexually inadequate!
: WELL SAID!

: BLARH.
: Target is dead. Ready to extract.
: Roger. The battle is over; all enemy ships destroyed. See you soon.
: On my way.

: Casualties?
: Decks 202-207 are experiencing revolts in compartments 62-68.
: Gas them.
: Already done; the armsmen are shooting the survivors.
: And the people we actually care about?
: At last tally, around 305,570 casualties, with probably around two-thirds of that considered likely to survive, plus the roughly 70,000 dead from the scout.
: Really? Much lower than we expected, but Tavus isn't really a navy commander so maybe it isn't too surprising. Regardless, Mission accomplished, let's head home.
: Before that sir, a nearby planetary governor is having trouble with rebellion: he's hoping we can help scare the menials into compliance by blasting parts of the city.
: *sigh* our work is never done, is it? Set a course.
: Setting course, sir.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I know that's Battlefleet Gothic, but what's the other one?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I know that's Battlefleet Gothic, but what's the other one?

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor. It's kind of meh: gameplay isn't too bad, but the levels are all generated so they end up all looking the same.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 8: Identity Crisis

quote:

Captain JEK TAMBO has tracked the nefarious scoundrel and starship thief SKAVAK to the Republic's chaotic capital world of Coruscant, which struggles to rebuild from the Sith Empire’s devastating attack during the war.

On a planet of a trillion inhabitants, where vicious gangs battle the overwhelmed government for control of entire sectors, finding Skavak will be impossible without making powerful new friends.

Using information from the charming gambler DARMAS POLLARAN, the smuggler follows Skavak’s trail to an embattled city zone where alien gangsters battle Republic
Forces …

: Pretty quiet for a district that’s supposed to be overrun by gangsters.
: Yeah, I overheard someone saying back there that some Jedi just tore through the gang’s headquarters, so I guess they’re all there picking up the pieces.
: Huh. I’ll bet I know that Jedi. Long story. But let’s take advantage of their distraction while we can. Act casual.

: gently caress’s sake, Corso, I said casual.
: But cap’n, that lady has four …
: You look like a tourist, and we’re supposed to be casing the joint.

: All right, looks like you were right and they’re all off dealing with the Jedi situation. Looks like just some security droids left. Let’s take care of them.

: Been monitoring you on the security network. You sure know how to make an entrance.

: Guess we found our slicer -- but why does this room look like a prison?
: Because it is a prison. Thanks for noticing. Whatever issues you’re having with the Guild, I’m on your side. I’m just a slave here.

: Relax, I'm not here to blast you.
: Then is there any chance you’re here to free me? Because I’m definitely ready to not be here. The guild locked me up two years ago. Forced me to work for them. I’ll do anything to get out. What do you need?
: Put me on Skavak’s trail and I’ll free you.

: Finding his trail is easy. Just look for the slime.
: I see you’ve met.
: I knew that Corellian pig-lizard had ticked off the wrong person. No wonder he was in such a hurry. Skavak paid the guild to clean his identity record. They made me slice into the Republic's main database and delete all his arrest warrants.
: No wonder Skavak gets around so easily -- nobody’s chasing him but me.

: He mentioned some Sullustan lawman giving him trouble. Sorry, but that’s all I know about Skavak. Not sure how else to help you.
: Oh, I’ve got an idea. I want you to make that scum’s life miserable.
: I don’t know about miserable, but I think I can put him on the defensive. Take away his spotless identity record and Skavak can’t walk ten meters without attracting attention. He’ll be a lot easier to find. I can ruin Skavak’s identity record for you in no time. If I do that will you let me go?
: I want Skavak’s record dirtier than a sewer on Hutta.
: In other words. just the way I found it. No problem. I saved copies of everything I erased from Skavak’s identity record. All I have to do now is transfer the data back …

: There. Easy. The minute he passes an identity checkpoint it’ll trigger an alarm.
: What else can you do to Skavak's identity record?
: Depends how much damage you’re looking to inflict.
: Make it so no woman in the galaxy will ever touch him again.

: I’ll register him as a plague carrier. Give him a nice case of Bothan Nether Rot. That’ll keep the girls away.
: Ha! Nice.
: Okay. Let me go now so I can make it out before they lock this place down.
: Head on out.
: Thank you! You’re my hero!
: Maybe we should go check in with Darmas -- see if he's got any new info on Skavak.

: An informant spotted you leaving the Migrant Merchants’ Guild. I trust Kixi was useful?
: Yep. Kixi did a real number on Skavak‘s identity record.
: On a world this crowded with people and technology, he can’t hide for long.

: My sources reveal Skavak is doing business with the Black Sun gang. A dangerous friendship for all sorts of reasons. Black Sun is notorious for keeping holorecordings of all their meetings. No doubt they’ve preserved the highlights of Skavak’s visit.
: I doubt Black Sun lets just anybody peek at their holos.
: Black Sun fragments its recordings over several computers to prevent unauthorized viewing. You’ll have to assemble the relevant footage by accessing each computer.
: Oh good, just when I thought this might be easy.
: I should warn you, Black Sun controls an entire sector of Coruscant. They’re thugs with the most horrible manners.

: I know. I’ve had some run-ins with them in the past.
: Well then, do be careful. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You're making me want to reinstall and dump another 500 hours into this.