Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Kazvall posted:

And now I'm going down the rabbit hole of RGB/Scart port modding the fv310. Please, help me!

The mitsubishi should have native rgbs support i’d imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just beat Belmont's Revenge which is now the second Castlevania game I've completed, even though I had to abuse save states. Pretty sure I could never complete a game legitimately, props to those that can.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
What's the other one? Rondo and Symphony of the night are quite beatable without any cheats.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

falz posted:

What's the other one? Rondo and Symphony of the night are quite beatable without any cheats.

Bloodlines. I've been tackling games from the Castlevania Collection on the Switch. Do the recent Rondo & Symphony ports on current consoles have save states or a rewind feature?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Was looking up prices for Genesis related stuff on EBay and while a lot of it has relatively sensible prices, the CDX is ridiculous, is it really that rare?

Also I've now seen pics of what a CDX looks like with either the 32X or Power Base Converter plugged in and it is incredibly silly looking(and is probably 90% of the reason I'd want a CDX now)

Lastly I know we've talked about it before but I forget the specifics(and am feeling too lazy to dig through the thread for the last time we talked about this), was there a reason why SEGA never tried doing an attachment to play Game Gear games on a Genesis?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

BisterdDave posted:

Bloodlines. I've been tackling games from the Castlevania Collection on the Switch. Do the recent Rondo & Symphony ports on current consoles have save states or a rewind feature?

Symphony's never added anything of the sort, but the game is extremely easy even if you don't figure out most of the ways to break it and miss most of the items.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

drrockso20 posted:

Lastly I know we've talked about it before but I forget the specifics(and am feeling too lazy to dig through the thread for the last time we talked about this), was there a reason why SEGA never tried doing an attachment to play Game Gear games on a Genesis?

The Game Gear has a larger color palette that the Genesis can't display.

EDIT: That is, unless they can pull some shenanigans like the 32X, but at that point, it's supplying its own video and can be its own console.

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 20, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Gnoman posted:

Symphony's never added anything of the sort, but the game is extremely easy even if you don't figure out most of the ways to break it and miss most of the items.

:sigh:

I tried playing Symphony on PS1 and could never make it past the Minotaur and Werewolf boss fight. Haven't played it since.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

KingEup posted:

The mitsubishi should have native rgbs support i’d imagine.

True but it's not powering on for any number of reasons. I'll drop some pics in the thread on sunday.

drrockso20 posted:

Was looking up prices for Genesis related stuff on EBay and while a lot of it has relatively sensible prices, the CDX is ridiculous, is it really that rare?

Also I've now seen pics of what a CDX looks like with either the 32X or Power Base Converter plugged in and it is incredibly silly looking(and is probably 90% of the reason I'd want a CDX now)

My guess is because most of the Game Gear games are SMS games already?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah they never made a ton of CDX units, same as the Nomad which coupled with how fragile the units are in general explains their rarity and prices.

The reason why Sega never made a Game Gear attachment is multifold. The Game Gear has a funky resolution 160x144 compared to 256x192 on the SMS. Now the 160x144 is a window within the 256x192 SMS but using the Master Gear adapter, the 256x192 SMS display is shrunken to fit, which can result in image artifacting. Technically you can run Game Gear games in the PBC or a SMS. But the GG has a better VDP that does 12-bit colors and double the video ram so when it runs you have incorrect colors. The last and biggest issue is that the Game Gear has a Start Button and an extra register for PSG stereo. The Start button is a separate register, not part of the controller, which prevents Game Gear games from being run on Master System without modifications.

So to create a GG attachment they would effectively have to do the Super Gameboy route; put the hardware into an adaptor. I assume Sega looked at that costs and realized that it would be far too high for too little of an audience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

azurite posted:

The Game Gear has a larger color palette that the Genesis can't display.

EDIT: That is, unless they can pull some shenanigans like the 32X, but at that point, it's supplying its own video and can be its own console.

That is definitely crazy that the Game Gear actually had an area where it was superior to the Genesis

Djarum posted:

Yeah they never made a ton of CDX units, same as the Nomad which coupled with how fragile the units are in general explains their rarity and prices.

The reason why Sega never made a Game Gear attachment is multifold. The Game Gear has a funky resolution 160x144 compared to 256x192 on the SMS. Now the 160x144 is a window within the 256x192 SMS but using the Master Gear adapter, the 256x192 SMS display is shrunken to fit, which can result in image artifacting. Technically you can run Game Gear games in the PBC or a SMS. But the GG has a better VDP that does 12-bit colors and double the video ram so when it runs you have incorrect colors. The last and biggest issue is that the Game Gear has a Start Button and an extra register for PSG stereo. The Start button is a separate register, not part of the controller, which prevents Game Gear games from being run on Master System without modifications.

So to create a GG attachment they would effectively have to do the Super Gameboy route; put the hardware into an adaptor. I assume Sega looked at that costs and realized that it would be far too high for too little of an audience.

That makes sense

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Bloodlines. I've been tackling games from the Castlevania Collection on the Switch.

Bloodlines is one of the hardest Castlevania games. I don't know if I'd go with absolute hardest, but it's pretty tough.

Play Super Castlevania IV. It's got the style of the classic games without being brutally difficult.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Gnoman posted:

I dunno about extremely but it's well balanced and has save areas and seems just right to me.

Re: My Rondo recommendation earlier is a harder game to learn patterns and stuff, but you can save per level at least. And it's fun as hell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So if I wanted to do a Retropie, what would be the best way of doing that, should I just buy one of those kits that come with everything or buy everything separately?

Or should I just be cheap/lazy and just buy one of those discounted PlayStation Classic systems off Amazon and just modify/hack it to fulfill my needs for an emulation device?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

drrockso20 posted:

So if I wanted to do a Retropie, what would be the best way of doing that, should I just buy one of those kits that come with everything or buy everything separately?

Or should I just be cheap/lazy and just buy one of those discounted PlayStation Classic systems off Amazon and just modify/hack it to fulfill my needs for an emulation device?

Mine are from those power + heatsink + case + pi kits, it's a handy way to buy them. As soon as there's proper support for the pi4 (and people get the retrotink RGB board working better with the 4), gonna buy one of those kits.

Always was worried about not buying the right power supply for the pi, but haven't gone wrong with the kit supplied ones so far.

The PS Classic question comes down to how much tinkering you want to do / want to be able to do, I guess. I assume the PS Classic, like the other classic systems, can be hacked to run any system that it's powerful enough to run?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Mine are from those power + heatsink + case + pi kits, it's a handy way to buy them. As soon as there's proper support for the pi4 (and people get the retrotink RGB board working better with the 4), gonna buy one of those kits.

Always was worried about not buying the right power supply for the pi, but haven't gone wrong with the kit supplied ones so far.

The PS Classic question comes down to how much tinkering you want to do / want to be able to do, I guess. I assume the PS Classic, like the other classic systems, can be hacked to run any system that it's powerful enough to run?

Honestly it probably does come down to cost more than anything as basically any decent Pi kit I can find seems to be at least 80 bucks or more, while I could get the PlayStation Classic for just over 40 on Amazon, and even taking into account I'd need to get a couple other things to make it work right, it still would probably be the cheaper option

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly it probably does come down to cost more than anything as basically any decent Pi kit I can find seems to be at least 80 bucks or more, while I could get the PlayStation Classic for just over 40 on Amazon, and even taking into account I'd need to get a couple other things to make it work right, it still would probably be the cheaper option

So, I'd recommend going with a platform that has a thriving community and developer behind it, like rasp pi or odroid or a rockpro64. It all depends what you want to emulate. If you want to have a dedicated ps1 emulation station that looks like a mini ps1 and is made by sony then get the ps1 classic. The ps1 classic is a bit of a chore because you'll need to use an external hd to load games from, and that will take your second usb port, so then you'll need to get a usb hub and some analog controllers and try to map all the functions through whatever OS you've chosen. If you want to emulate more stuff I think something like rasp pi will have not only more options for OS's whether it's like raspian or ubuntu or retroarch, but also much better community support.

I have a cool little project I need to finish which is a rockpro64 inside of a custom case that looks like a super famicom. They make little carts that plug into the top like a game, but are actually SSD's you can load with games. Pretty cool!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think it more comes down to what are you really wanting out of a device. Are you just wanting something to occasionally play an old game every couple of months? Then the PS Classic is probably a good choice.

If you are wanting something more robust and/or to play more often than a Pi solution is the better choice.

If you end up needing something more than a Pi then you either go to a PC based solution, I particularly like NUCs for this. Or you can go hog wild and get a MiSTER setup.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Random Stranger posted:

Bloodlines is one of the hardest Castlevania games. I don't know if I'd go with absolute hardest, but it's pretty tough.

Play Super Castlevania IV. It's got the style of the classic games without being brutally difficult.

I did play as Eric, which I heard is essentially the game's easy mode. It wasn't that bad actually from what I remember. Right now I'm playing through the first NES game, but I'll check out IV afterwards.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Behold what my partner got me for my birthday (even more fitting now that we're locked inside due to COVID19):

It's a used unit, but in excellent condition overall.
Only the fan is a bit noisy, but I guess that's normal? Are there silent fan replacements that anybody can recommend?
Google points me at a thing called "Noctua Fan Mod" which involves 3d-printed parts. Is that any good?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hardest Castlevania is probably Haunted Castle, followed closely by Vampire Killer for MSX. I cannot recommend either one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sectopod posted:

Behold what my partner got me for my birthday (even more fitting now that we're locked inside due to COVID19):

It's a used unit, but in excellent condition overall.
Only the fan is a bit noisy, but I guess that's normal? Are there silent fan replacements that anybody can recommend?
Google points me at a thing called "Noctua Fan Mod" which involves 3d-printed parts. Is that any good?

Yeah that noctua fan mod is good for making it sound not like a jet engine. Let me know if you can't find a place to get it printed and I can send you a bracket.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it possible to replace the video in port on my saturn? 8 think it's dieing as sometimes it'll make the picture go yellow :(

I tried Snatcher it was OK but it's not for me... Never liked adventure games though. I guess I'm looking for a rpg. What do you all suggest between saturn and dreamcast?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue
Record of Lodoss War

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah that noctua fan mod is good for making it sound not like a jet engine.

Heresy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you dont hear *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT* *WHIIIRRRRRRRRRRR* when you turn the power on, are you even playing dreamcast?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Between the noctua mod and the gdemu, my Dreamcast is superpan levels of quiet.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is it possible to replace the video in port on my saturn? 8 think it's dieing as sometimes it'll make the picture go yellow :(

I tried Snatcher it was OK but it's not for me... Never liked adventure games though. I guess I'm looking for a rpg. What do you all suggest between saturn and dreamcast?
To add to

Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue
Record of Lodoss War
Also try (on the Saturn side):

• Panzer Dragoon Saga (the obvious answer, but it really is that good, and there really isn't anything else like it on the market for some reason - just be aware that despite being four discs, it's really short, clocking in somewhere under 20 hours. Also, you'll get the most out of it if you play at least PD Zwei first, though preferably both shooters that came before it.)
  • Shining the Holy Ark (first-person dungeon crawler)
  • Legend of Oasis/The Story of Thor 2 (prequel to Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor on the Genesis/Mega Drive; sort of "what if Streets of Rage was a Zelda")
  • Magic Knight Rayearth (manga/anime adaptation, plays even more like a Zelda. Warning: Working Designs, so it's harder than the Japanese original, but apparently also runs better?)
  • Shining Wisdom (also a Zelda-like, but I've heard mixed things about it; also, you have to press the run button repeatedly to run. Warning: Working Designs, no idea how much they changed if anything)
  • Dragon Force (unique squadron-commanding game, where more of the game is deciding what encounters to have and when rather than the battles themselves. Warning: Working Designs, but apparently this is one of their least-affected titles, and they added some very convenient controller shortcuts the Japanese release lacks)
  • Shining Force 3 (strategy RPG; technically only the first third of a much bigger story, which itself is a direct sequel to the Holy Ark, but IIRC you still get a resolution of some sort so you're not completely left in the dark)
  • Virtual Hydlide (okay this is more of a joke answer, this game is really bad, but I still kind of like it in spite of, well, everything. The best RPG based on an engine intended for golf games ever made.)
Though at the same time, be aware that any RPG on the Saturn is insane levels of :retrogames: currently (especially PDSaga), if that's a concern at all.

There's also Albert Odyssey and Mystaria/Blazing Heroes, but I know very little about either other than the former being a very traditional RPG (to the point of being rather bland - also, Warning: Working Designs), and the latter is another strategy RPG (and a very early one for the system).

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Yeah that noctua fan mod is good for making it sound not like a jet engine. Let me know if you can't find a place to get it printed and I can send you a bracket.

Thanks for the offer. Further searching shows that some places sell complete kits for not too outlandish prices. Also local ebay has people selling just the printed parts, which is probably the route I'll take.

quote:

If you dont hear *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT* *WHIIIRRRRRRRRRRR* when you turn the power on, are you even playing dreamcast?

The GD-ROM drive makes enough funky noises for the nostalgia feels, the fan is just a tad too loud and too high pitched.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you both so much. So much to play. Maybe I'll tackle panzer saga

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The good thing about Panzer Dragoon Saga is that it's unlikely to lose its value anytime soon. What I did was buy it off eBay, finish it, and quickly resell it for about the same price. Worth the hassle imo, it really is great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't afford it otherwise I would buy it. Dunno if that makes me a bad person or not but welp :qq: gotta put this pseudo saturn to use

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I mean couldn't you just burn it onto a CD, or does Saturn have some funky copy protection?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

I mean couldn't you just burn it onto a CD, or does Saturn have some funky copy protection?

The Saturn does have copy protection (I believe it's the word SEGA written on the outer layer of the disc or something).

You would need a mod chip or hacked Pro Action Replay.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Shadow Hog posted:

Albert Odyssey

This is one of the blandest, worst JRPGs I have ever played, and not even Working Designs being Working Designs could make it interesting.

quote:

Mystaria/Blazing Heroes

From what I recall, Mystaria is probably good enough if you don't expect anything better than knockoff Shining Force, but the enemy AI is memorably bad. I remember the opening battle has you fleeing from an enemy army down a winding path, and they don't follow you beyond the first corner because they keep running into the wall trying to walk in a straight line toward you.

Shadow Hog posted:

[*]Shining the Holy Ark (first-person dungeon crawler)

I liked this, but I remember it being rather slow and grindy, and I reached a point where I took too much time off from the game and couldn't remember where I was or what I was doing. It's definitely a RPG with substance, though.

quote:

[*]Magic Knight Rayearth (manga/anime adaptation, plays even more like a Zelda. Warning: Working Designs, so it's harder than the Japanese original, but apparently also runs better?)

This was a decent enough action RPG, and is the sort of goofy anime stuff that plays to Working Designs' strengths.

quote:

[*]Legend of Oasis/The Story of Thor 2 (prequel to Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor on the Genesis/Mega Drive; sort of "what if Streets of Rage was a Zelda")

It feels a bit less Streets of Rage-y than Beyond Oasis did. Honestly, I love this game, and I think it rivals Alundra as the best not-quite-Zelda game of its era. Has a hidden co-op mode where you can summon a clone controlled by the second player, and you can stand on each other's head and sequence break the hell out of the game. This seemed to be strangely ignored for years despite being one of the best titles on the system, but collectors seem to have finally caught on, as it's as expensive as everything else now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

The saturn uses a 10 pin din port which is a non-standard port. I'm having trouble finding one for sale. First I'd just open the saturn up and check on the solder for all the through hole pins connected to the din. If none of the joints look broken/cracked or dry/tacky/oxidized, then perhaps the din itself is to blame. Look at all the metal pins connecting to the port, is there any visible damage, or a pin that's bent back out of socket?

If you really think the av port needs to be replaced, well I'd probably slap a sega genesis model 2 av port in there if you don't need S-Video. Because the main difference between the genesis 2 av port and the saturn port is the saturn doesn't carry a mono audio signal and instead has luma and chroma.

E: The genesis 2 port would not be soldered to the board of the saturn but rather need to be wired up, as it's not the same pinout.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazvall posted:

The saturn uses a 10 pin din port which is a non-standard port. I'm having trouble finding one for sale. First I'd just open the saturn up and check on the solder for all the through hole pins connected to the din. If none of the joints look broken/cracked or dry/tacky/oxidized, then perhaps the din itself is to blame. Look at all the metal pins connecting to the port, is there any visible damage, or a pin that's bent back out of socket?

If you really think the av port needs to be replaced, well I'd probably slap a sega genesis model 2 av port in there if you don't need S-Video. Because the main difference between the genesis 2 av port and the saturn port is the saturn doesn't carry a mono audio signal and instead has luma and chroma.

E: The genesis 2 port would not be soldered to the board of the saturn but rather need to be wired up, as it's not the same pinout.

as someone whose a idiot itd prob be easier / cheaper to just buy a japanese saturn then....thanks for the help though i'll look either way. This is a model 1 uS saturn so its old.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for using savestates on Bloodlines (well I wouldn't begrudge anyone for savestates in general play however you want idgaf). It just has so many gauntlets of bullshit. It definitely is worth playing though, just because it's so loving weird and it keeps throwing new gimmicks at you. And the gimmicks are fun unlike SCIV's "LOOK AT WHAT THE SNES CAN DO :aaa:" as a bunch of ugly sprites rotate at 8 fps.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hardest Castlevania is probably Haunted Castle, followed closely by Vampire Killer for MSX. I cannot recommend either one.

Yeah, that's probably the objective answer, but as you said you just don't need to bother.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

So I was playing Super Hang-On for the Genesis just now, and I accidentally got the game to glitch out by crossing the finish line with 0 seconds left on the clock. I had 0 seconds left, so it flashed "Game Over" while it was also trying to show the victory scene, so it showed some graphical corruption in the middle of the screen. It counted as losing the race, but in my book, finding a glitch in a video game is better than actually winning the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

rujasu posted:

So I was playing Super Hang-On for the Genesis just now, and I accidentally got the game to glitch out by crossing the finish line with 0 seconds left on the clock. I had 0 seconds left, so it flashed "Game Over" while it was also trying to show the victory scene, so it showed some graphical corruption in the middle of the screen. It counted as losing the race, but in my book, finding a glitch in a video game is better than actually winning the game.

Finding glitches like this is the best thing. :allears: