Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is there such thing as a money tree? If so, what is it and how do you plant one? I saw it mentioned in the thread but I’m confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

jimmydalad posted:

Is there such thing as a money tree? If so, what is it and how do you plant one? I saw it mentioned in the thread but I’m confused.

If it works like prior games: Every day there is a glowing spot on the ground. If you dig in that spot, you'll dig up a bag of bells. And if you then bury bells in that hole, a tree will grow and in 3 days it will have 3x the bells you buried hanging there like fruit.

e: I found my first spot today and the sapling popped up like usual, so far so good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jimmydalad posted:

Yeah,

You know those glowing golden spots? If you dig them up you get a bag of 1000 bells and a hole with a yellow glow. If you plant bells there they grow into a money tree that will eventually triple however many bells you planted up to 10,000.

Once you've harvested it once it becomes a normal tree

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

I realize that I hate cherries

LMAO what kind of sentence is this, it's the best tasting fruit on Earth! :p

How are y'all getting screenshots to your computer? Does the switch let you email em or something?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

please please and thank you

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So what's the point of storing money in the bank at the ABD machine? Does it build interest or something?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Khanstant posted:

LMAO what kind of sentence is this, it's the best tasting fruit on Earth! :p

How are y'all getting screenshots to your computer? Does the switch let you email em or something?

you can post them on twitter, i made a throwaway account just for my switch

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are people who are getting to other islands in different timezones and thus have their airport opened already?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stux posted:

you can post them on twitter, i made a throwaway account just for my switch

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me. Twitter integration of all the patchwork online features!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Nate RFB posted:

Are people who are getting to other islands in different timezones and thus have their airport opened already?

Day rolls over at 5 or 6 AM (can't remember which one) and they started playing the night the game came out.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How soon can we start crossing rivers? I have the museum tent to put up but I’m stuck in a lower third of my island by a branching river and I wanna place the river further into the island

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How soon can we start crossing rivers? I have the museum tent to put up but I’m stuck in a lower third of my island by a branching river and I wanna place the river further into the island
Blathers gives it to you, and he's inside the tent

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Official Gangtag Cut Off Line

----------------------------------------------

If you are below this line, you need to buy the Gangtag from now on

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Drone posted:

So what's the point of storing money in the bank at the ABD machine? Does it build interest or something?

In City Folk and New Leaf you got 0.5% interest on the first of the month and depositing various amounts got you some furniture or accessories

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Infinitum posted:

Correction. Can I get this too, PLEASE!? :D

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

just played online with friends and had a blast. one of them already unlocked the vault pole and shovel recipes so i bought them before my museum even opened. good stuff

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FBS posted:

If it works like prior games: Every day there is a glowing spot on the ground. If you dig in that spot, you'll dig up a bag of bells. And if you then bury bells in that hole, a tree will grow and in 3 days it will have 3x the bells you buried hanging there like fruit.

e: I found my first spot today and the sapling popped up like usual, so far so good.

Damnit, I saw one of these last night and dug up the bells, then went to push Y to pick them up but instinctively pushed B and covered up the glowing hole :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I get my island, the Ripatorium, up and running, people should visit me

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

eonwe posted:

When I get my island, the Ripatorium, up and running, people should visit me

I will bring you some pears friend.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I sent 5 fish/insect to the museum. Now I'm waiting for the museum to come. Can I sell the extra fish/insect now, or do they have an extra utility?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me. Twitter integration of all the patchwork online features!

The Wii U actually had Twitter integration through a dedicated site you could visit in the console's web browser, a fact I learned last year while playing Wind Waker HD

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Ate ten fruits thinking I'd maybe get some miles (nah) then smashed all the rocks. Now I think I might be hosed for iron...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lezard_valeth posted:

I sent 5 fish/insect to the museum. Now I'm waiting for the museum to come. Can I sell the extra fish/insect now, or do they have an extra utility?

At this early point, it's probably best to hold onto them (place them on the ground to free up inventory space) so you can donate them to Blathers when he shows up a day later. Alternatively, you can sell them if you really want/need bells now, but Blathers wants them more. In the end, fish and bugs have 4 uses: sell, donate to museum, keep as pets, gift to villagers (if they request.)

Fun Times! posted:

Ate ten fruits thinking I'd maybe get some miles (nah) then smashed all the rocks. Now I think I might be hosed for iron...

Oh, is THAT why I keep crushing boulders in one strike? I probably would've kept doing this for months. Damnit.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 20, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Infinitum posted:

May I please have this tag? TIA.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fun Times! posted:

Rocks respawn the next day and you can drop 2000 miles to go to an island for more rocks.

This might be some sort of bias but I feel like rocks on mystery islands drop more iron than the rocks on your island.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

enojy posted:

At this early point, it's probably best to hold onto them (place them on the ground to free up inventory space) so you can donate them to Blathers when he shows up a day later. Alternatively, you can sell them if you really want/need bells now, but Blathers wants them more.

how long will they remain in the ground? (sorry if this is a dumb question, first animal crossing here)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lezard_valeth posted:

how long will they remain in the ground? (sorry if this is a dumb question, first animal crossing here)

I couldn't say for sure, since "decorating" outdoors is new in this Animal Crossing, but I would think indefinitely!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Forever as far as I know. But if it's fish/insect species you already have turned in you can sell them no problem, Blathers only wants one of each

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wow...realizing today that my Switch battery sucks. Maybe because I've used it docked for all but maybe five hours in the years I've had it.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Went to Target this morning. There was a line. Most were looking for TP and what not, but there was a small group of people eagerly awaiting Animal Crossing. I watched as this young woman was almost vibrating with excitement as the cashier rung her up. She drat near squealed. Another couple got their copy (and journal) and I saw them later sitting in the patio section looking through the journal. It was so loving adorable. It was so awesome to see so many people legitimately excited to have their game.

*sniff*sniff*

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

How're y'all explorers getting miles for tickets? Miles+ missions or are there easy big value ones I may be overlooking?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

How're y'all explorers getting miles for tickets? Miles+ missions or are there easy big value ones I may be overlooking?

You get a pretty steady stream just playing normally. Make sure to check for any one time things that are really easy (post on the message board, take a picture etc) since they usually pay put 500

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Just got my Shovel and Pole and am ready to go explore (most of) the rest of the island!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Infinitum posted:

Please, and thank you! If I'm still within cutoff. I always find out about stuff too late.

edit: Jesus though this game is not for the patient! I'm stuck waiting until tomorrow for a real house & the curator owl.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I have a really cool double waterfall on my island. ‘Tis neat.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

5er posted:

Please, and thank you! If I'm still within cutoff. I always find out about stuff too late.

Cutoff was earlier on this page.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Aardvark Barber posted:

Cutoff was earlier on this page.

Aw gently caress. Always late.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kinda wish there was a little bit more to do on your first day
Like I guess I could just get enough money to immediately pay off my second mortgage but that seems like it’ll quickly lead to burnout

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My two starter villagers:

Then I got my deserted island ticket and went and met Candi, who looks like she has two massive pimples on her face. I don't know what possessed me but I invited her along too:

These are like three of my least favorite animal types but... oh well! My luck will either balance out or I'll just fill my island with the villagers I hate the most. (Okay, Rocket ain't bad, she's uchi and gave me some starter stuff and was up at like 2am, so she's growing on me. Which I think is kind of the charm of AC, meeting villagers and getting to know them.) My passport description is "internet trash." I wish it was easier to share it...

I've been doing rocks all wrong. For whatever reason I was just straight up shoveling them which was, uh, just leaving me with a small rock. Apparently if you hit them with a stone axe they vomit goodies at you. I'm going to have to grind some miles to go to a deserted island to get the iron to get the shop building.
Apparently you can also continuously shake trees for extra branches. I would shake one tree, get a branch, move on and shake the next tree. You can just shake the same tree a bunch of times to get like 5 branches. I'm sure this is obvious to some people, but it wasn't to me, haha.

Also you can flat out shovel and replant entire trees. I took some coconut trees and extra apple trees home from the deserted island I visited, as well as some flowers. The benefit to this is you don't need to wait extra days for them to grow on your island, the only downside is it takes a fruit-energy to do. It's also helpful if you want to do landscaping on your town without straight up chopping down trees. Cheers everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Kinda wish there was a little bit more to do on your first day
Like I guess I could just get enough money to immediately pay off my second mortgage but that seems like it’ll quickly lead to burnout

The game, structurally, makes way more sense if your "first day" was midnight to 6am. So now, it's technically day 2 and I've got access to all the online functions and the whole island and I've got a pretty solid to-do list