Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So here's where we're at with that:

If the pattern keeps following that curve there should be about1000 deaths tomorrow.

Remember that the US is following pretty much the same pattern and is only 10 or 11 days behind, so brace yourself for that. :negative:

with a population 6 times the size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Spinz posted:

I just told off CSPAM gently caress

Proud of gbs. I read their Corona thread because its full of valuable info but every other post is crowing and lusting and chortling over death, its so bad I cant read it now

Its p gross and my heart just pounds with rage

best let them be, they found out no one really likes bernie and he lost plus a global pandemic was on the way pretty much the same week so they are in pretty rough shape

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Grape posted:

Which thing to you expect him to bring up/add?

Well hoping he does at least the shutdown of all non-essential like PA and NY have now done.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Bought an apocalypse bottle of oban wondering how long until I crack it open

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mnoba posted:

best let them be, they found out no one really likes bernie and he lost plus a global pandemic was on the way pretty much the same week so they are in pretty rough shape

Ive never seen so much yellow lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bomb posted:

Bought an apocalypse bottle of oban wondering how long until I crack it open

Pretty good choice imo. Its probably the peatiest scotch that my garbage palette can still enjoy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spain is locked down pretty hard so no one is hanging out and feeding the birds and the local pigeons are starving to the point where they're desperately following anyone who leaves the market, which looks like a scene out of The Birds

https://i.imgur.com/os52evk.mp4

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Spinz posted:

Proud of gbs. I read their Corona thread because its full of valuable info but every other post is crowing and lusting and chortling over death, its so bad I cant read it now

We are all going to die and it's great and wonderful.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

pixaal posted:

... barely fits and they aren't smooth so it's a really bumpy ride!

That's what Corona said.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Wait your telling me people dying is bad?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spinz posted:

this thread is for once better

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Mostly the oldest and the weakest individuals in all human societies are going to die. It's a Nazi-Eugenism dream and I loving hate it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Der Shovel posted:

Over here in Finland most of the country has been in quarantine for this past week to protect immunocompromised people and people with existing conditions.

Well, most of the country indeed. Yesterday there was a crowd over 1000 people at the opening of some new loving store in Helsinki, including hundreds of old geezers and grandmas. Thanks, idiots. The rest of us are trying to keep people safe and you morons are lining up around the block for free balloons and deals on plastic buckets.

E:

Well done geniuses.

Well, that really goes against the stereotype image.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's the end times, gonna go see if I can get some more free tasty burgs today.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I got a bottle of gingerbread stout for Christmas 2018 and sort of uhh forgot about it. I’m probably gonna pop it open and if it’s not flat I’ll try it. Am I good or is it more dangerous than the roni

Edit: been in the fridge

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hazo posted:

I got a bottle of gingerbread stout for Christmas 2018 and sort of uhh forgot about it. I’m probably gonna pop it open and if it’s not flat I’ll try it. Am I good or is it more dangerous than the roni

It’s fine and it’s stout it barely has any carbonation as it is you are good

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
oil is sub 20 dollars a barrel right now, in certain countries if you survive this virus you next have to survive the coming collapse of government and social services

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So here's where we're at with that:

If the pattern keeps following that curve there should be about1000 deaths tomorrow.

Remember that the US is following pretty much the same pattern and is only 10 or 11 days behind, so brace yourself for that. :negative:

This is so unnerving just waiting for the other shoe to drop

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

shovelbum posted:

this thread is for once better

Yes it is. It's a bummer. Thanks to the other thread I stocked up with food for months, but now reading it is too upsetting- they are saying it all ironic but its so so much

And when you really cant tell its p lovely irony

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Hazo posted:

i ate an unlabeled can of soup that expired in 2015 last night. i think it was vegetable beef. anyways if the can isn't swollen yet you won't die from eating it. welcome to the apocalypse

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

owlhawk911 posted:

i ate an unlabeled can of soup that expired in 2015 last night. i think it was vegetable beef. anyways if the can isn't swollen yet you won't die from eating it. welcome to the apocalypse

Don’t listen to them swollen can means it’s bursting with flavor

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Baller Time posted:

Germany is gonna hit 20000 confirmed cases today. Yesterday it was 15000. Only 59 deaths, somehow.

Still think the US is gonna be the most turbo hosed, though. In a lasting way.

The relatively low number of deaths is probably because Germany has been testing much more people than other Western countries, so their confirmed cases include many who would never have been noticed in other countries, who in practice only test people with severe symptoms.

Also, their initial group of patients was relatively young, so a low percentage of casualties.

It is not like German citizens behave much better than their neighbours.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinz posted:

I don’t know, you sound like a huge loser if I’ve ever seen one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Spinz posted:

dont read cspam

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Taintrunner posted:

If you've looked in a mirror, you've seen one. :rackem:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Taintrunner posted:

https://i.imgur.com/dt6PZbU.jpg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

A Bakers Cousin posted:

We are all going to die and it's great and wonderful.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

what is that

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Mnoba posted:

what is that

Right before the apocalypse began I started work on a thread for CSPAM
I'm a big Bernie fan and I loved the debate threads in there

Look at username I quoted

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Badchay posted:

Folding@home stats page is back on https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams

SAGoons is #49 on the top 100 list. Once they find a cure, we can definitely take all the credit!

Up to 41, for once SA is competing with Reddit

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

The relatively low number of deaths is probably because Germany has been testing much more people than other Western countries, so their confirmed cases include many who would never have been noticed in other countries, who in practice only test people with severe symptoms.

Also, their initial group of patients was relatively young, so a low percentage of casualties.

It is not like German citizens behave much better than their neighbours.

Yeah this. My best buddy drove into town to get all his stuff from his office before the curfew tonight and said town looked just as busy as usual even though most stores are close. People in Munich do not give a poo poo and enjoy a stroll through town anyway.

A White Guy posted:

So, today I found out I'm essential industries so my job isn't shutting down. Thank Voltron. My sibling got laid off already and most of my friends with retail jobs are either working 160 hr weeks or laid off.

Congrats on working for Gamestop

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baller Time posted:

Germany is gonna hit 20000 confirmed cases today. Yesterday it was 15000. Only 59 deaths, somehow.

Still think the US is gonna be the most turbo hosed, though. In a lasting way.

I've read reports that Germany is doing screwy stuff with their reporting, attributing death to secondary causes instead of Covid. So a patient that is in the ICU for Covid19 and ends up dying from cardiac arrest (secondary to viral cardiomyopathy from covid19) gets "cardiac death" as cause of death.

That's such a gross misrepresentation of things I almost cant believe they'd do it but there's no way their fatality rate is 1/50th of other European countries

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Well, I just had the first Corona related death in my circle of friends. My mom's best friend died a couple days ago, but my mom isn't sure if it was officially diagnosed as Corona or not. Still, it was bad, flu like illness that coincidentally just popped up recently. My mom's friend was in her late 50's, but was overweight and a heavy smoker. Still, it was a bit of a shock to my mom.

My poor mom is in complete lockdown though. She lives in an assisted living home because she's had major health issues for the last five or so years and is on permanent disability due to car accident 20 years ago. She's on oxygen and has major heart issues. So if she gets it, she's got sure not going to recover. Thankfully her place is allowing absolutely zero visitors, so she should be able to avoid getting infected. Still, it didn't really hit me how vulnerable she is until her friend died. I should really call her more often.

Y'all stay safe and call your parents/grandparents.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am feeling totally weird and... displaced, actually, with this coronavirus thing happening.

I've lived in Portland, Maine just about my whole life up until this past December - the only exception was a couple years spent in Colorado when I was in college - and barring that I never left Portland, up until around 3 months ago in December of 2019, when I moved out to Los Angeles, CA. It seemed really awesome, fantastic, and perfect for me, at the time there were very very few drawbacks. It was even cheaper to live in LA (well, like half of it) since the cost of rent and living in Portland was just insane. I truly was not thinking about the uh, possibility of global pandemic.

To be honest, I'm frankly happy to be in LA during all of this. Both Garcetti and Newsom seem to be doing the right thing and being proactive, and it's just about this nervousness that people know what they *should* do, but it ain't gonna be what they *will* do.

I am still very, very annoyed about the way certain things are run. I am a former opioid addict, for example, and have been on MAT (medication-assisted treatment, implying methadone or suboxone) for quite a while. I've always enjoyed going to the clinic every morning to get my dose, as it gives me a reason to really get up early and start my day with lots of time to do things. You can get up to a week's worth of take-home doses, meaning you get 6 days worth of medication plus your daily dose when you show up every seventh day. But you have to both have been at the clinic and in a stable place (no dose changes, no missed counseling/appointments, and definitely no failed drug tests).

Thing is, I thought for sure they would just issue everyone take-homes for like a week, maybe a new group each day so you stagger the days when they are coming back to refill. I thought for absolute SURE that it would be a big imperative for them to keep people at home, and to force people to come into a small room full of generally unhealthy people, most of whom are older with weakened immune systems. They make us all stand together, up to like 10 or 12 of us, in a room the size of a standard living room. It's loving insane.

I truly hope this shakes things up and reveals just how all the insane restrictions they create to keep addicts from getting treatment, and how making it SO GODDAMN HARD to just get treated medically in the *most basic loving way* for opioid abuse can cause so much death and harm. It *honestly* scares me more for all the old and infirm people already in wheelchairs who go to the clinic. I mean, they must TRULY not give a gently caress about us, not at all.

I might add that contrary to what most people think, just about every single methadone clinic in the country is a privately owned for-profit entity. No poo poo. What does this mean? In part, it means that if you lose your insurance and cannot pay the weekly premiums (usually $80-$200 a week, tending towards the high side) they will give you what is euphemistically called an "administrative withdrawal" or something comparable - this means that they will rapidly lower your dose (usually over a 7-14 day period if you are lucky) and then kick you out of the clinic. I should note here that if someone is dependent on methadone then they should be slowly detoxed, at their own pace if possible. A proper methadone taper should take anywhere from 6-18 months - maybe more. It's not something that ought to be rushed.

A big part of this is because methadone withdrawal is extremely severe. It is both more acute and longer lasting than, say, heroin withdrawal. There is some debate about this, but that is the consensus more or less. The reason for this is the same thing that makes methadone useful for medical maintenance: methadone is a synthetic opioid with a very long half-life - something like 72-96 hours. It stays in your body for a long time, so a consistent dosage ultimately creates a consistent amount of the drug in your system, meaning you just feel... normal all the time. You never get high, but you don't end up getting low, either. This is what makes it work as a maintenance medication, in addition to the very high affinity it has for mu-opioid receptors that makes other opioids more or less ineffective.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that this is something a certain segment of the population has to cope with, and it's an issue. They have the ability and the agency to give us all takehomes for up to 13 days - the criteria are entirely up to them, and I can't imagine the federal government would agree that keeping addicts at home is a better idea.

Instead, they are forcing everyone who is 'ineligible' to repeatedly come in every single morning during the same restricted dosing hours as normal. Even though nothing else is normal. All these older addicts with wheelchairs and canes still have to come in every single day, and many have to use public transportation to get there. It is just NOT a good scene, and nobody seems to have the right attitude about it. It is terrifying and I can only imagine similar poo poo is happening all over the country in lots of clinics...

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

drat... migrants crossing into Canada at Roxham Road will now be turned away back to the US.
No more fleeing the USA. :/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spinz posted:

lol this thread had to be told to chill with the racism just the other day and on the last page someone tried to spin this poo poo into a “dems are forsaking the working class, but the true patriot republicans are looking out for us” bullshit. gbs has no high road here.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mnoba posted:

:thunk:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mrfart posted:

Well, that really goes against the stereotype image.

A free ämpäri (plastic bucket) is one of the few things that will get finnish people to congregate like that

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I think Switzerland, in general, is quite close to being past the point of no return, 43 total deaths today, something like 4900 total positive. Luckily I live in Bern, one of the few Cantons that seems to be taking it seriously, they're finishing up a drive/walk through testing center that sounds like it will be able to 4k tests a day. Bern and Basel-Land of all the goddamn places are the only ones who are seriously saying 'test test test'.

There are still too many old people out and about. I haven't been to a big grocery in a while, but apparently they're limiting the number of people who can go in and are making you sanitize your hands before going in. The only thing that's been consistently out-of-stock in my corner store is canned tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I've read reports that Germany is doing screwy stuff with their reporting, attributing death to secondary causes instead of Covid. So a patient that is in the ICU for Covid19 and ends up dying from cardiac arrest (secondary to viral cardiomyopathy from covid19) gets "cardiac death" as cause of death.

That's such a gross misrepresentation of things I almost cant believe they'd do it but there's no way their fatality rate is 1/50th of other European countries

This seems highly unlikely. Most of our hospitals are still waiting for the flood to come at this point but whenever there is a death the news are along the lines of "today the first patient died of covid-19 in Berlin today. The patient was an elderly male of xx years and suffered from 2 underlying diseases".

So they do report it as a covid death but mention other illnesses to explain why it was a severe case.