Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lone Goat posted:

t:{c}
t,exert this: any colour mana

So slightly better Ice Age depletion lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

"Better depletion lands" was already done in Champions of Kamigawa, since they could tap normally for C, or exert for colored mana.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

"Better depletion lands" was already done in Champions of Kamigawa, since they could tap normally for C, or exert for colored mana.

oh right i forgot about those (and can you blame me??)

ok how about a coloured cycle?

etb tapped
t:u
t, exert: any colour

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I, too, remember Vivid lands.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Those seem way worse than vivids.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Vivids weren't that good without reflecting pool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just ruin Standard with

T: {C}
T: Add U or G. This may only be done on your opponent's turn.

Or even funnier (for Commander side effects)

This land may only untap at the beginning of your opponent's upkeep.
T: Add U or G.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Land of Mystery

Tap: C
Tap: roll a d20. 1-4 = add W, 5-8 = add U, etc.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Land of Balance

ETB tapped

Tap: add U, B, or R
Tap: add GGG, create a 3/3 beast token, put a 1+1 counter on each creature you control, draw a card
Tap, pay 1: add W

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man this "designing lands" thing is easy

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

When ~ etb, search your deck for any number of basic lands and exile them.

Tap, send an exiled land to your graveyard: add 1 of a colour that land could produce.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mae posted:

Tap, send an exiled land to your graveyard: add 1 of a colour that land could produce.

Horribly broken if the goal is to thin your deck turn

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

DangerDongs posted:

Horribly broken if the goal is to thin your deck turn

Also would be even more time consuming than fetches, and not just for paper (rip) even.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Just make another cycle of typed duals that enter untapped and have "when this becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it". Phantom lands.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eej posted:

Just ruin Standard with

T: {C}
T: Add U or G. This may only be done on your opponent's turn.

Or even funnier (for Commander side effects)

This land may only untap at the beginning of your opponent's upkeep.
T: Add U or G.

ETB tapped.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may add a Renewal counter to ~.
At the beginning of each opponent’s upkeep, you may remove a Renewal counter from ~. If you do, untap ~.
T: Add a mana of any color.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

an_mutt posted:

Just make another cycle of typed duals that enter untapped and have "when this becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it". Phantom lands.

Am I missing something because that seems like a pretty minor drawback when anything your opponent targets at one of your lands is likely to destroy it anyway. Mostly it would just mean you can't enchant it. I guess you could print some other stuff in the set that targets opponent's lands or permanents.

How about a dual or tri land that ETBs untapped, when you tap it add a counter, if it has a counter (or maybe 2) on it when you tap it, sacrifice it.

So basically you only get to use it a couple of times, but it could also have synergy with graveyard stuff

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

How about a dual or tri land that ETBs untapped, when you tap it add a counter, if it has a counter (or maybe 2) on it when you tap it, sacrifice it.

Gemstone Mine?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wafflecopper posted:

Am I missing something because that seems like a pretty minor drawback when anything your opponent targets at one of your lands is likely to destroy it anyway. Mostly it would just mean you can't enchant it. I guess you could print some other stuff in the set that targets opponent's lands or permanents.

Gigadrowse becomes a one-side Armageddon.

Rishadan Port becomes a reusable Wasteland.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Impossible due to memory issues imo

Wouldn’t it just be:

Flammable Woods
You may have ~ enter with a change counter on it.
T: Add G. If ~ has one or more change counters on it, instead add R.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If we're doing bad idea cakewalk time,

Untapped dual lands with restrictions on how the mana can be used based on what the colour typically does.

Tap: add R, this mana cannot be used to cast spells or activate abilities during a combat phase.
Tap: add U, this mana cannot be used to cast spells or activate abilities during your opponents' turns.
Tap: add G, this mana cannot be used to cast creature spells.
Tap: add B, this mana cannot be used to cast spells or activate abilities that target a creature.
Tap: add W, this mana cannot be used to cast enchantment spells (cut white a break here)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

resistentialism posted:

Tap: add R, this mana cannot be used to cast spells or activate abilities during a combat phase.
Tap: add U, this mana cannot be used to cast spells or activate abilities during your opponents' turns.
Tap: add G, this mana cannot be used to cast creature spells.
Tap: add B, this mana cannot be used to cast spells or activate abilities that target a creature.
Tap: add W, this mana cannot be used

I mean... the obvious joke was there.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Production posted:

This seems like the right place for Kamigawa-style flips instead. Dual lands minimize the art problems, text isn't necessarily going to be too long.

That gets you away from having checklist cards for the most played/tapped cards in your deck. Then again, if they're getting tapped all the time maybe it'll be too easy to cheat them into the other position when you untap, so maybe just you're allowed to untap them to either side (but you are locked in to that choice until you untap them again)

What's worse, flip cards or mandatory counters on lands now that Ikoria is opening the floodgates?

Caligo Polder
Land
Whenever Caligo Polder enters the battlefield or becomes untapped, you may remove all land-type counters from it and put a Swamp or Plains counter on it. (It counts as that land type.)

Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever ~ becomes untapped, you may put a basic land-type counter on it. (It counts as that land type.)

Flip cards are a bad idea cause you can mistake the land type when you untap them , or after you accidentally bump them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dragon enthusiast posted:

Flip cards are a bad idea cause you can mistake the land type when you untap them , or after you accidentally bump them.

propeller lands, double headed lands you always untap in the tap direction

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Punisher land 😈

Tap: Any opponent my choose to have ~ deal 3 damage to them. If no one does, add R or B to your mana pool.

This is too annoyingly interactive for a land but it’d be a fun design for a mana rock.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I get to open another box of Mystery Boosties today and I am very excited to have something to do this evening!

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Mae posted:

1 of those lands
X Forests
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Expedition Map
4 Goblin Charbelcher
some other cards

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Bad Dual Land Idea:
Tap: Add 1
Tap: Add Green, only use this if you control a forest
Tap: Add Red, only use this if you control a mountain.

Gold Cards Matter Dual Land:
Tap: Add Green, can only use this to cast Red spells.
Tap: Add Red, can only use this to cast Green spells.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/FNM_at_Home

quote:

FNM at Home (in MTG Arena)
What: Three FNM events that give all MTG players a place to play familiar experiences.
When: March 27, April 3, and April 10, each for 24 hours, running Thursday at midnight to Friday at midnight, PT.
Who: Anyone with an MTG Arena account (download here!)
Entry fee: None
Formats:
March 27—Challenger Decks
Choose between the four preconstructed 2020 Challenger Decks and jump in to challenge others.
April 3—All Access
Build a deck with any cards in Standard, whether they're in your collection or not. Play others, build more decks, play again. Rinse. Repeat.
April 10—Historic Brawl
Build a 60-card Brawl deck with your Standard and Historic cards, and battle!
The goal with these formats is to provide fun ways to play in a Friday Night Magic-like environment, whether you're downloading MTG Arena for the first time or you've been playing since the Open Beta.

How to Get a Reward Code from Your Store
Some stores have robust online communities, and others will be forming them for the first time. If you're already part of such a community, great! Check with them and get connected.
If you aren't part of a local game store's online community, or if they don't have one set up, there are a couple ways you can get connected. One is to simply reach out to your store and ask (give them a little bit of time—many of them are getting this information today as well). Another is to head to locator.wizards.com to find your local game store's website. Not every store has a website on there right now, but our teams here are reaching out to our stores to help them set up options and connect them to our store locator. Many of them will be setting up online communities through Discord, WhatsApp, and Facebook, so you may have to join or download one of those applications.
Step-by-step, here's how it works:
Play in the event (win or lose as much as you want)
Take a screenshot of your event page
Go to locator.wizards.com to find your local game store's website
Join their social media channel
Share your screenshot with a nice message on their channel
Store will message you a code* through that social media channel

tldr: FNM on Arena or something

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I had made these as proof of concepts for a custom cube I was working on, they seem to fit the discussion and honestly I'd love to play any of them as actual cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like flip cards in digital. I dislike them in paper.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lands that transform all of the time (the UG one specifically) would be terrible to play with sleeves, and if you're using a checklist in constructed format you'd need to pack maybe 12 extra cards into your deck box?

Seems cool for cube though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like the lands we have

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

They can always print snow duals...
:goonsay:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

morph analogue lands:

play it face down from your hand (only) as an untapped colourless land that has Tap: (morph-equivalent ability) this land

Card itself is etb tapped.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
typed pain lands

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

resistentialism posted:

morph analogue lands:

play it face down from your hand (only) as an untapped colourless land that has Tap: (morph-equivalent ability) this land

Card itself is etb tapped.

you'd need extra counters to mark them since facedowns are 2/2 morphs by default

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Gavin posted some hints for a few of the new Ikoria commander cards

quote:

Ikoria Commander deck new card details
* Monowhite card that repeatedly fetches Plains from library to the battlefield.
* Card with rules text "You and planeswalkers you control gain protection from that player."
* 4th ever Trilobite card
* "You may pay 0 rather than..."
* 41 instances of "counter" and "counters" in rules text and reminder text.
* Goat Hydra
* Cat Nightmare
* Badger Dinosaur
* Legendary creature with name that starts with "Gavin"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tainen posted:

Gavin posted some hints for a few of the new Ikoria commander cards

quote:

* Legendary creature with name that starts with "Gavin"

:jerkbag:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

* Goat Hydra

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just freaking spoil the cards, no one is going to get to play with physical cards for a long while.