Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I seriously wonder how much time reviewers got with this game because there is literally nothing new to do after playing for like an hour on day one
They could at least have given you more than two villagers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

This game is super fun but I'm afraid my immoral time travelling will make me exhaust all the cool poo poo too fast.
Honestly it probably will. I'm not saying you're playing the game wrong, as long as you're having fun you're doing it right, but the time limits are a part of the charm. If you do a month's work of progress in a week then you're going to quickly move out of the progression phase and into the "endgame" which is much more do whatever you want, collect stuff and decorate your town. If that's what's fun for you then game on! But for me, while I enjoy that, the game loses a lot of its draw once your loans are paid off and there's no concrete goal to work towards. I still like completing the museum, but I'm no designer or collector so the rest starts to lose its luster quickly once I'm too free.

EDIT: agreed that the first day is too limited. I would be bummed too if I hadn't played last night. The second day opens up so much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
most reviewers talk about being a week or two in the game from the ones i read/watch

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The storage is nice and all but storing fish and bugs for Blathers outside is where the real swag is.

https://twitter.com/Suleyman_Grundy/status/1241116940522762246

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
looking forward to terraforming my island into an arid, desolate, sand-swept hellscape

https://twitter.com/ThundaHammafist/status/1241116511449665537

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Honestly it probably will. I'm not saying you're playing the game wrong, as long as you're having fun you're doing it right, but the time limits are a part of the charm. If you do a month's work of progress in a week then you're going to quickly move out of the progression phase and into the "endgame" which is much more do whatever you want, collect stuff and decorate your town. If that's what's fun for you then game on! But for me, while I enjoy that, the game loses a lot of its draw once your loans are paid off and there's no concrete goal to work towards. I still like completing the museum, but I'm no designer or collector so the rest starts to lose its luster quickly once I'm too free.

EDIT: agreed that the first day is too limited. I would be bummed too if I hadn't played last night. The second day opens up so much.

yea I'm a little tempted to time jump past day 1 but I likely won't, it's fine, I enjoy running around catching stuff and all, but I do wish Blathers at least was unlocked from the start.

Instead I'm amassing this slowly more menacing wall of fish and bugs in front of his future tent

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I was surprised to start up the game and see it running at 30 FPS; kind of assumed it would have a 60 FPS framerate. I guess New Leaf also ran at 30 but maybe I noticed it less because of the 3D effect?

How is the performance of New Horizons in multiplayer?

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

Please can I have this tag? I don't know why as I very rarely post but this is my first ac game. I've been playing it all day and think I'm in love!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah the first day really is too limited, but thankfully it's pretty much the only one. Day 2 alone unlocks enough to easily be able to spend as much time as you want on the game.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When I put fish and poo poo on the ground in tanks or whatever is there a way to look at it to identify what kind it is?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Is there any reason not to sell every fish/bug you catch after donating the first one?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I got a gothic lolita sheep and a chicken called Goose who gave me an ugly hat and was stoked to see me wear it, this is a good day 1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can anyone do the pathlaying/terraforming or is that island rep only?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Macintosh HD posted:

Is there any reason not to sell every fish/bug you catch after donating the first one?

do u not want a house island full of displayed fish/bugs?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Well this is a thing that happened! Guess the requirements changed a little bit from past games

https://twitter.com/HudsonBilbrey/status/1241120106161139713

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Anybody know how long it takes to unlock bridge building?

After like six plane trips I got my 30 iron, and now I get to pick where to put the shop, I'd like to put it on the far side of the river but for how long will it be the only structure over there / til villagers can walk over there?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

I will take this tag please!

Also, I know I'm on day one, but can I really not cross rivers without bridges? I'm basically only able to use one quadrant of my island right now if that's the case.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i love this fuckin game

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So is this basically like stardew but better?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tim Whatley posted:

Also, I know I'm on day one, but can I really not cross rivers without bridges? I'm basically only able to use one quadrant of my island right now if that's the case.

Yep, that's a day two ability. I temporarily skipped forward to open the airport and got that as a side benefit. I think that's it for time travel shenanigans, I just don't like online being locked at the start since I didn't begin my real game til this morning.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

So is this basically like stardew but better?

there are similarities but there's also enough differences that it's kinda personal preference as to which one is 'better'

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is the catalog back? I haven't seen it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pay off your tent as soon as humanely possible, after that you get an unlimited refreshing number of MMO missions to give you 100-200 miles and you can farm them indefinitely. I've been playing for like five hours now and am constantly getting miles that I turn into travel tickets which get me iron/wood/fruit that I convert into nice island stuff and bells. I'm at 60k on the second day, almost paid off my house and only need 4 more iron to finish the first building project

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am addicted to earning nook miles

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Built just about everything I could build. Got my house and the museum building tomorrow. Had a stung up face and a rain hat on lookin' like a cool guy. Didn't realize that the spot I built the museum on terraformed the only big rock on the island out of existence though. :smith:

Also we got apples. Hope you like them.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

I was surprised to start up the game and see it running at 30 FPS; kind of assumed it would have a 60 FPS framerate. I guess New Leaf also ran at 30 but maybe I noticed it less because of the 3D effect?

How is the performance of New Horizons in multiplayer?

Is it 60 FPS once you dock or is it still 30 FPS?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Whew, paid off my tent so my house will get built, have a sizable collection of fish n bugs for Blathers, got the first inventory expansion, and managed to hit rocks and get enough iron nuggets to upgrade my equipment! Probably gonna take a break for the day, but is there any point in storing your Bells in the ABD?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

does anyone have a list of all of the things you can spend Nook Miles on? I got the inventory upgrade and the better tools and the tool ring, but at this point i feel like there's probably a lot more things to come and i should save them, right?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Commissar Ken posted:

Built just about everything I could build. Got my house and the museum building tomorrow. Had a stung up face and a rain hat on lookin' like a cool guy. Didn't realize that the spot I built the museum on terraformed the only big rock on the island out of existence though. :smith:

Also we got apples. Hope you like them.

i could be wrong but it seems like my island generated a new rock today, so i think the game might just randomly generate a new one per day

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am addicted to earning nook miles

I got the better tools, larger inventory and tool wheel so I'm good for now.

Also just noticed you can craft faster by mashing A.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

They could at least have given you more than two villagers

I've met two more villagers on my mystery tours today. Not sure how long it'll be before they actually move to my island. Getting a vaulting pole and some metal from kinds goons has helped give me more things to do on day 1.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Does the pole ever break? I picked a river-heavy map since it has a heart-shaped pond, and between all the vaulting I have to do and the emergency rescue app, it makes me feel like I’m going to end up stranded on my own island at some point.

Also, I have “Teary-eyed Crybaby” on my passport and will probably never ever change it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Republicans posted:

I got the better tools, larger inventory and tool wheel so I'm good for now.

Also just noticed you can craft faster by mashing A.

i need iron nuggets for a new building so i am farming nook miles so i can pillage islands

i also want all the hairstyles on offer

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Selling weed to my landlord's nephew to pay off moving expenses. Tom Nook sure is something.

Guess I'm done for the day. House and museum are good to go tomorrow.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paid off my second bill and got the boys their metal for the shop, good times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

enojy posted:

It's eating fruit! If you have 1/10 (or more) fruit in your belly, you'll destroy the rock with any tool (at least, I was doing so with a flimsy axe.) If you want to farm the rock (and digging a hole behind you is still necessary to ~*min/max*~) you gotta go cut down a tree or something to get down to 0/10. I don't like this! Might just perpetually starve myself until rock materials aren't in high demand.

Hmmm, our shovels have durability as well right? I can't wait for someone to sit down and do the efficiency math, are two safety holes worth the return in bonus rock hits?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If something costs, say, 5 wood to craft, will the crafted item be worth more to sell than the raw materials would have been?

I could run my own experiments but figured I'd ask here first

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is it just me or do animals get tired of talking to you way quicker in this game? After only a few conversations spread out over hours they already started getting short with me.

"Don't you have someone else to talk to?" No Mira, I don't. My 1 other neighbor is asleep and the Raccoons aren't much for conversation.

(after two conversations): "This island isn't big enough for both of us." Yeah no poo poo Hazel help me cross this river.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How do I get the pole vaulting stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/CaseyLucasQuaid/status/1241125893205979136